Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? 07:58 - Jul 25 with 1676 viewscyprusmel

At one time football in Scotland was famous for producing quality players that all the top English teams pursued.
Billy Bremner, Kenny Dalglish, Archie Gemmil, Joe Jordan, Dennis Law, Peter Lorimer, Lou Macari, Dave McKay, Bill Brown, Don Masson, Gary McAlister, Aly McCoist, Pat Nevin, Charlie Nicolas, Graham Souness, Ian St John, Gordon Strachan, John White, Alan Gilzean, Frank McLintock, and many more you can add to this list.
Now they have Lyndon Dykes more or less the first choice striker, love him or hate him he cannot be compared to Jordan, Macari, Law, McCoist, Gilzean, St John, Souness etc.
There are a few Scots in our top league but in my opinion nothing like the quality that has gone before.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 08:22 - Jul 25 with 1600 viewsstevec

The good old days when football was the drug of choice in Scotland.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 08:29 - Jul 25 with 1579 viewsSydneyRs

I think we forget that in those days the top league consisted largely of British players. Top players from around the world now play in the premiership, so some of those players might not have been so prominent had that been the case back then.

The obvious difference is the now vast gap between Celtic/Rangers and the rest in Scotland. Back in the 80s, teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd were right in contention for the league. They are lucky to get within 30 points of the top two now.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 08:42 - Jul 25 with 1554 viewsstowmarketrange

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 08:29 - Jul 25 by SydneyRs

I think we forget that in those days the top league consisted largely of British players. Top players from around the world now play in the premiership, so some of those players might not have been so prominent had that been the case back then.

The obvious difference is the now vast gap between Celtic/Rangers and the rest in Scotland. Back in the 80s, teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd were right in contention for the league. They are lucky to get within 30 points of the top two now.

And most of the others did well in European competitions too.That isn’t the case any more.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 09:20 - Jul 25 with 1490 viewsloftus77

Yep - great thread this - and a situation which is tragic to see.

There have been many victims of the obscene excesses of the Premier League since 1992 but none more so than Scottish football, which trails so miserably in the wake of the vastly inflated cash cow down South.

If I said that Dundee Utd once beat Barcelona in the Nou Camp, anyone under 30 would think I was mad. Hearts had a wonderful team in the mid-late 1980s and beat Bayern Munich. And, of course, Aberdeen under a certain manager...

All of this, impossible now. Instead its Motherwell losing to Sligo Rovers at home in July while the Old Firm slug it out for domestic cups with no competition from anyone, devaluing year-by-year some of the oldest established trophies in world football.

On a practical note, the decision of the Old Firm not to 'come South' in the 1990s when there were discussions about this (?) must be seen as the most catastrophic of all - for them and the rest of Scottish football. It is almost certainly 'too late' now (Rangers in EFL League One maybe?) so the only practical measure would be to start them both on, say, minus 20 (minus 30??) pts in the Scots Premiership to try and inject some 'competition'.

And clubs like Livi with Lyndon Dykes are the indirect victims of all of this IMHO. That is how low things have sunk.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 10:02 - Jul 25 with 1422 viewsterryb

Not mentioned on the list is my favourite footballer - Stewart Scullion. A far better winger & goalscorer than Nevin ever was! Scullion, Woodward & Currie made it possibly the best ever Sheffield United side. Certainly since the end of world war two.

Scullie never played for Scotland as he was in direct competition with Jimmy Johnstone. On a podcast Tony Currie asked & answered the question of why he never played for Scotland & said that if he had been born twenty years later, he would have been the first name on their teamsheet.

I'm sure that there are many other players that posters could name, including a certain Charlie Cooke. I think we can leave Blind Eddie off the list though!
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 10:50 - Jul 25 with 1375 viewsTonto

Similar issue with the puppy farms at Celtic and Ramgers hoovering up anyone who van kick a ball straight and then not playing them as they buy ready made grade C internationals instead.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 11:18 - Jul 25 with 1333 viewsMyke

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 08:29 - Jul 25 by SydneyRs

'I think we forget that in those days the top league consisted largely of British players.' This I think is largely true and you can add RO! players to that list. From an International perspective Scotland and the Republic are in a very similar position. The players that Jack Charlton had at his disposal wee far superior to now, just as with the Scottish national side.It's interesting that Wales have bucked that trend.
From a league point of view my childhood memory is that Celtic and Rangers were still the best two teams in the country. Under Ferguson, Aberdeen threatened that status quo for a few years and Jardine/McDonald/Jefferies would have got the max out of Hearts,. But really it was their top players coming down to England, who have now largely been squeezed out by 'foreign' players, which has seen their demise imo.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 12:42 - Jul 25 with 1245 viewsstowmarketrange

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 11:18 - Jul 25 by Myke

'I think we forget that in those days the top league consisted largely of British players.' This I think is largely true and you can add RO! players to that list. From an International perspective Scotland and the Republic are in a very similar position. The players that Jack Charlton had at his disposal wee far superior to now, just as with the Scottish national side.It's interesting that Wales have bucked that trend.
From a league point of view my childhood memory is that Celtic and Rangers were still the best two teams in the country. Under Ferguson, Aberdeen threatened that status quo for a few years and Jardine/McDonald/Jefferies would have got the max out of Hearts,. But really it was their top players coming down to England, who have now largely been squeezed out by 'foreign' players, which has seen their demise imo.

I think Wales have average players that happen to also have a world class player in Bale and a very good player in Ramsey.It will be interesting to see what happens when both of them retire in the next couple of years.But they’ve got them to their first World Cup in 64 years,which was something the Wales teams of the 60’s and 70’s couldn’t do.Although the World Cup had less teams in it during those decades.
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 13:02 - Jul 25 with 1200 viewsDavieQPR

The game has also been cleaned up and a lot of those older players would not survive in modern football. What was once classed as hard would get them sent off every week.
Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 13:45 - Jul 25 with 1125 viewsR_from_afar

Oooh, I really think you need to go back and edit that list!

Not many former road sweepers go on to play for their country. You make a fair point, though.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 13:49 - Jul 25 with 1109 viewsqpr_1968

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 10:02 - Jul 25 by terryb

Not mentioned on the list is my favourite footballer - Stewart Scullion. A far better winger & goalscorer than Nevin ever was! Scullion, Woodward & Currie made it possibly the best ever Sheffield United side. Certainly since the end of world war two.

Scullie never played for Scotland as he was in direct competition with Jimmy Johnstone. On a podcast Tony Currie asked & answered the question of why he never played for Scotland & said that if he had been born twenty years later, he would have been the first name on their teamsheet.

I'm sure that there are many other players that posters could name, including a certain Charlie Cooke. I think we can leave Blind Eddie off the list though!

i remember stewart scullion, but i think he was playing for watford against us at loftus road in 1969. we drew 1-1, i think scullion might have been their scorer.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 13:59 - Jul 25 with 1083 viewsterryb

Scottish Football, What's gone wrong ? on 13:49 - Jul 25 by qpr_1968

i remember stewart scullion, but i think he was playing for watford against us at loftus road in 1969. we drew 1-1, i think scullion might have been their scorer.

He definitely would have been playing for Watford. He also scored their winning goal in a FA Cup win at Old Trafford.

When Ken Furphy moved from Watford to Sheffield United as manager, he went back to his old club to sign Scullie, Keith Eddie & I think one other.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024