Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackpool... 03:23 - Sep 24 with 9825 viewsMistication92

What are the odds that McClaren pisses this up the wall, makes 7 changes and we go out limply - ending any real spark in the season until our FA Cup exit in January?
Blackpool... on 17:16 - Sep 24 with 2839 viewsrobith

@OP

The odds are 11/5
Blackpool... on 17:23 - Sep 24 with 2828 views00calben

Blackpool... on 17:14 - Sep 24 by Juzzie

I think this is a competition we can go reasonably far in without actually winning it. i/e 1/4 or semi's.

In the last 20 years it's been won by a big club on all but 5 occasions and those other 5 were still PL teams.

It's probably been 40-odd years since a non top flight team has won it.

Agree.

It's been over 20 years since we played in the last 16 of a cup competition. That's almost an entire generation who've never seen anything which can be defined a 'cup run'.

Don't underestimate the importance of this game. It's absolutely massive.
Blackpool... on 17:24 - Sep 24 with 2825 viewsAntti_Heinola

Blackpool... on 08:32 - Sep 24 by jonno

Spot on.

It's not spot on. It's missing the point entirely.
If one team has a good squad and can rotate and keep players fresh, then that squad will be stronger over a season than one that has almost no changes. Back when Forest or Liverpool only used 16 players in a season - so did every other team. The comparison doesn't work.
Wolves have played just 7 times since 11th Aug - and they made 9 changes for their cup tie with Sheff Wed - so that's actually 6 (plus internationals). So he can keep an unchanged side - largely - for now, although that won't last the season. We've played 11 times in that time frame and 7 in August alone.
Burnley have tried to do what they did last year while playing in Europe. And Saturday apart you see where that has got them, and commonly it's believed their small squad has become an issue.
Still, it's definitely correct to say that a largely settled side is a good thing - but winning sides tend to be settled and settled sides tend to be winners (if you kept losing, the side would change). We had a very settled side in our championship year - but we still changed it all for cup games.
It's not really about players being soft or not wanting to play - it's about keeping as many players as possible as fresh and as ready as possible for all games.

Bare bones.

Blackpool... on 17:28 - Sep 24 with 2821 viewsJuzzie

Blackpool... on 17:14 - Sep 24 by robith

In 1981 when Liverpool won the European cup they played 42 league games (finishing 5th) and 5 European cup games

Last year finishing fourth and getting to the CL final they played 38 league games and 15 European ties. In an era where the game is faster and even greater demands are put on players to be athletes pushing themselves to the limit in training vs an age where Liverpool spent half the game passing the ball back to the goalie. Hardly comparable imo

This is why I spat my tea out laughing when half-a-dozen or so years ago Sky Sports were tugging off the likes of Scholes going on about how amazing they are having played 10 million European cup games compared to the likes of Bobby Charlton.

Had they really no idea that way less games were played back then in the European Cup, just 9 games (4 two-legged rounds + final) if you got to the final.

Now it's 13 (or 15 if you have to pre-qualify as Liverpoll did last season), nigh on double so of course a player like Scholes in a team like Man Utd is going to play more.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 17:30]
Blackpool... on 17:35 - Sep 24 with 2805 viewsqprd

Squad rotation is still important, considering some quality young players are getting absolutely no playing time in league competitions.

I'm not suggesting wholesale changes, but BOS and Kakay should start, and Smyth should be available on the bench
Blackpool... on 17:59 - Sep 24 with 2774 viewsCamberleyR

Blackpool... on 17:23 - Sep 24 by 00calben

Agree.

It's been over 20 years since we played in the last 16 of a cup competition. That's almost an entire generation who've never seen anything which can be defined a 'cup run'.

Don't underestimate the importance of this game. It's absolutely massive.

Not quite as bad as 20 years. We made the last 16 in the League Cup in 2008 (during one of Gaz Ainsworth's caretaker spells).

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Blackpool... on 19:58 - Sep 24 with 2733 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I think this is a competition we can go reasonably far in without actually winning it. i/e 1/4 or semi's.

In the last 20 years it's been won by a big club on all but 5 occasions and those other 5 were still PL teams.

Yes OK. I might have been a tad over optimistic lol. But I'd take the 1/4s or the semi's. And with the teams still in it, it's a possibility
Blackpool... on 21:20 - Sep 24 with 2646 viewsEsox_Lucius

Don't forget Bettache.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Blackpool... on 22:01 - Sep 24 with 2603 viewsYorkRanger

Going to flick a coin tomorrow as to whether I go or not. Split between the possibility of making the last 16 and the risk McLaren makes wholesale changes, we donttake it seriously enough and get turned over...
Blackpool... on 22:30 - Sep 24 with 2540 viewsCiderwithRsie

Can I just point out that in the last match we played we were a bit crap, and one or two changes might therefore be a good thing?
Blackpool... on 07:47 - Sep 25 with 2448 viewsLancashirehoop

Blackpool... on 16:34 - Sep 24 by Esox_Lucius

It was actually 8 players as nobody knew there were two Morgans and thought it was the same player and he was blindingly fast.

This is where the myth of the '67 team starts to unravel. There might have been 9 players as some say there were 2 Springetts as well but they were never seen together at Loftus Road (allegedly).

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not all against you.

Blackpool... on 08:21 - Sep 25 with 2416 viewsDorse

It's very unusual to get a semi at QPR.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Blackpool... on 08:27 - Sep 25 with 2411 viewsDavieQPR

Can see 10-11 changes. Will not spend that money to watch the reserves or in any way support the Oystons. Save my money for Swansea.
Blackpool... on 09:56 - Sep 25 with 2355 viewsCamberleyR

Blackpool... on 17:28 - Sep 24 by Juzzie

This is why I spat my tea out laughing when half-a-dozen or so years ago Sky Sports were tugging off the likes of Scholes going on about how amazing they are having played 10 million European cup games compared to the likes of Bobby Charlton.

Had they really no idea that way less games were played back then in the European Cup, just 9 games (4 two-legged rounds + final) if you got to the final.

Now it's 13 (or 15 if you have to pre-qualify as Liverpoll did last season), nigh on double so of course a player like Scholes in a team like Man Utd is going to play more.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 17:30]

And you only got to play in the European Cup by being league champions, not by finishing fourth.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Blackpool... on 10:23 - Sep 25 with 2331 viewsDannyPaddox

Blackpool... on 07:47 - Sep 25 by Lancashirehoop

This is where the myth of the '67 team starts to unravel. There might have been 9 players as some say there were 2 Springetts as well but they were never seen together at Loftus Road (allegedly).

Another theory is that the Morgan twins were in fact one bloke who went around with a full length mirror.

Blackpool... on 14:34 - Sep 25 with 2202 viewsSimonJames

We should win this one 0-2.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Blackpool... on 15:49 - Sep 25 with 2147 viewsthemodfather

any win, any how..i don't care if we cheat, punch the ball in for a winner anything, just win...a cup run still means something to fans even if the club and players dont give a to55
Blackpool... on 18:47 - Sep 25 with 2052 viewsYorkRanger

Just arrived. Seen the team sheet and bench. Nothing to suggest a cup run is on McLaren's agenda...
Blackpool... on 18:55 - Sep 25 with 2014 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Blackpool... on 18:47 - Sep 25 by YorkRanger

Just arrived. Seen the team sheet and bench. Nothing to suggest a cup run is on McLaren's agenda...

In his prematch article on the official site he describes the match as "far better than training and under 23s games". Says it all.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Blackpool... on 18:56 - Sep 25 with 2006 viewsPinnerPaul

Blackpool... on 18:55 - Sep 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

In his prematch article on the official site he describes the match as "far better than training and under 23s games". Says it all.

Said in the context of players not in the 1st team showing what they are capable of - which is perfectly true!
Blackpool... on 18:59 - Sep 25 with 1991 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Blackpool... on 18:56 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

Said in the context of players not in the 1st team showing what they are capable of - which is perfectly true!

Yes but doesn't say very much about the league cup!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Blackpool... on 19:13 - Sep 25 with 1944 viewsWokingR

Oh, oh, oh
I've spotted Goss on the bench
What's my prize ?
Blackpool... on 20:34 - Sep 25 with 1811 viewsdavman

Blackpool... on 19:13 - Sep 25 by WokingR

Oh, oh, oh
I've spotted Goss on the bench
What's my prize ?

I spotted him on the pitch, what's my prize?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Blackpool... on 21:06 - Sep 25 with 1722 viewsWokingR

Blackpool... on 20:34 - Sep 25 by davman

I spotted him on the pitch, what's my prize?

Christ, he's only come on!
Clive owes me a trolley dash and a helicopter ride
Blackpool... on 21:46 - Sep 25 with 1622 viewspaesanu

Blackpool... on 14:34 - Sep 25 by SimonJames

We should win this one 0-2.

What's a Blackpool fan doing here

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024