Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Division 2 19:51 - Aug 3 with 8670 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Reading v Derby

Let’s see what the championship is all about then
2 ex swans locking horns
Paul Clement football guru
Lamps loves the swans

Derby one of the favourites to go up .

1-3 Derby

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Division 2 on 21:22 - Aug 3 with 1732 viewshobo

Division 2 on 21:19 - Aug 3 by icecoldjack

Sign him up, we could do with a another winger !

Probably out of our price range now! After selling him for a measly £1.5m
Division 2 on 21:23 - Aug 3 with 1722 viewsploppy

Division 2 on 21:14 - Aug 3 by pencoedjack

If we start with Fulton & Carroll we might string 2 passes together but they will all be backwards

What a depressing thought.
Division 2 on 21:24 - Aug 3 with 1708 viewsPacemaker

Division 2 on 21:18 - Aug 3 by lifelong

It’s pretty criminal that we are not still in the Premier League, we had 31 points with 9 games left and ended up with 33 points and got relegated by a point. It still makes me angry typing that.

There were about ten games that we should have got something from and threw away. It was criminal the way we just folded last season.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Division 2 on 21:27 - Aug 3 with 1680 viewsicecoldjack

It’s pretty criminal that we are not still in the Premier League, we had 31 points with 9 games left and ended up with 33 points and got relegated by a point. It still makes me angry typing that.

Manager and players totally bottled it, that's why I'm actually quite happy we've fooked loads of them off, they lost their nerve and just the wrong time, the manager was at fault more than the players but they used his inability to be bold to hide, we lucked out for the previous 2/3 seasons so after selling Gylfi and replacing with clucas it was always gonna happen I suppose.
Division 2 on 21:28 - Aug 3 with 1673 viewsploppy

Division 2 on 20:55 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

That Derby passing from the back at times was woeful. They gave the ball away god knows how many times; that's why I agree with Warnock - clear the ball, into channels. Play football in the oppositions half not so close to your own penalty area.

Bejesus. This isn't the 1970s. Warnock and Allardyce ought to get together. I bet they were watching through their fingers as England adopted the "play out from the back" approach.
Division 2 on 21:29 - Aug 3 with 1663 viewsOldjack

Division 2 on 21:04 - Aug 3 by Pacemaker

There has been a level of snobbishness amongst some fans though. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be good or to be proud of your achievements.

But we have been looking down our nose at clubs in a similar position to us as if we have a god given right to be in the PL despite playing pretty appallingly in the last 3 years.

Even at our worst we were still miles ahead of anything in the championship ,it's gonna be a shock watching championship football for a lot

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Division 2 on 21:31 - Aug 3 with 1642 viewsPhil_S

Division 2 on 21:29 - Aug 3 by Oldjack

Even at our worst we were still miles ahead of anything in the championship ,it's gonna be a shock watching championship football for a lot

The standard of play in the Premier League when you take out the top teams is not that different to the CHampionship

That gap is closing at the same time as the monetary gap gets bigger.
Division 2 on 21:33 - Aug 3 with 1618 viewsbluey_the_blue

Division 2 on 21:28 - Aug 3 by ploppy

Bejesus. This isn't the 1970s. Warnock and Allardyce ought to get together. I bet they were watching through their fingers as England adopted the "play out from the back" approach.

The 70s where total football sprang from?

Derby could easily - easily - have conceded at least two from defensive mistakes. World cup showed a trend to more direct football against the tippy tappy stuff.

We focused upon clearing the ball from defence. As Warnock said of Bamba "He thinks hes Beckenbauer. He isn't". Plenty of teams played far more long ball than we did. For all the criticism, we had more shots and chances than most sides.

Still, I'm sure some sides are happy getting 3 points for possession...
Login to get fewer ads

Division 2 on 21:34 - Aug 3 with 1613 viewsJack_Kass

Division 2 on 21:12 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

It's not just that though.

You are under attack. You win ball back. You play it amongst defenders, it gives the opposition defence time to reform.

Even if it's not a counter-attack, it still maximises time for the opposition to set up.

Equally, last season Craig Bryson ( vastly underrated by own fans ) ran his socks off when we were pressing in opposition half - won ball back setting up chances quite a few times.

Playing it out like that at the back is risky, even more so as teams adopt the high press.

Not really suprising being a Cardiff fan but you have no clue about the purpose and virtue of building out from the back.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Division 2 on 21:46 - Aug 3 with 1515 viewsicecoldjack

Division 2 on 21:31 - Aug 3 by Phil_S

The standard of play in the Premier League when you take out the top teams is not that different to the CHampionship

Agree.
I've said for a while that the standards have been decreasing in the premier league and that helped us stay in it for a while.longer than we might have previously hoped for, the sliding scale of lowering standards helped us to survive constantly selling items of family silver and replacing with inferior.

I honestly think that Rodgers promoted team of 2011 would finish easily in the top half or maybe even in a euro place in season 2017/ 2018.
Division 2 on 21:47 - Aug 3 with 1510 viewsOldjack

i beg to differ having watched a lot of both over the last few years , you watch them turds joining us next season if we're lucky

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Division 2 on 21:48 - Aug 3 with 1502 viewsploppy

Division 2 on 21:33 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

Derby could easily - easily - have conceded at least two from defensive mistakes. World cup showed a trend to more direct football against the tippy tappy stuff.

We focused upon clearing the ball from defence. As Warnock said of Bamba "He thinks hes Beckenbauer. He isn't". Plenty of teams played far more long ball than we did. For all the criticism, we had more shots and chances than most sides.

If you play out from the back you will make mistakes from time to time. But the more progressive teams have realised that overall it's worth the risk. You've got to be good at it though and confident on the ball. Bamba clearly isn't - and neither are Derby on this showing.

The thing about the high press is you attempt to play around it. And once you've beaten the press you're away - and have an advantage in numbers. And also, the high press is very tiring - you can't keep it up all game e.g. Liverpool v Man C last season, when Liverpool were knackered by the end and Man C almost pulled it back. Notice how big Man C make the pitch - if you go chasing them all game ... well you can't, simple as that.
Division 2 on 21:51 - Aug 3 with 1476 viewsploppy

Don't agree.

Depends what you mean by top teams I suppose. Top 6? Top 10? Top 17?
Division 2 on 21:53 - Aug 3 with 1459 viewsicecoldjack

Division 2 on 21:33 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

When you play in the prem league you'll see that banging the ball away just puts you under constant pressure, at some point Cardiff will need to control and keep th4 ball, it's this reason Warnock keeps.failing at the top table, bamba isn't beckenbaur but he needs to think he is in that league or he's fooked and will be found out.

Every time the ball comes to him opposition know he'll hoof it so will drop and pick up the out ball. Ensuring Cardiff are under constant pressure.

Please don't tell Warnock I told you this !!
Division 2 on 21:53 - Aug 3 with 1456 viewsjackjackjackjack

Division 2 on 21:48 - Aug 3 by ploppy

If you play out from the back you will make mistakes from time to time. But the more progressive teams have realised that overall it's worth the risk. You've got to be good at it though and confident on the ball. Bamba clearly isn't - and neither are Derby on this showing.

The thing about the high press is you attempt to play around it. And once you've beaten the press you're away - and have an advantage in numbers. And also, the high press is very tiring - you can't keep it up all game e.g. Liverpool v Man C last season, when Liverpool were knackered by the end and Man C almost pulled it back. Notice how big Man C make the pitch - if you go chasing them all game ... well you can't, simple as that.

Outside of the top teams last season the most successful club were Burnley, and they play long ball.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Division 2 on 21:56 - Aug 3 with 1426 viewsBanosswan

Oops

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Division 2 on 21:57 - Aug 3 with 1414 viewslifelong

That’s a great goal by Tom Lawrence.
Division 2 on 21:59 - Aug 3 with 1376 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Division 2 on 20:32 - Aug 3 by Jack_Kass

Make no mistake, this is shite to watch.

Reading have been tipped for the drop, Derby tipped for promotion, and they're both just shite as one another.

Get half our ducks in a row and we can piss a top 6 spot at least.

Yeah, right.

When was the last time we scored a goal as impressive as that winner at the end? 2016?

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Division 2 on 22:00 - Aug 3 with 1367 viewsOldjack

Division 2 on 21:57 - Aug 3 by lifelong

That’s a great goal by Tom Lawrence.

Good player who i'd loved to see with us

Division 2 on 22:00 - Aug 3 with 1360 viewsicecoldjack

Fook me, Clement looked broken at the end of that.

We better get used to the rough and tumble of this league pretty quick, plenty of proper tackles ,teams that will run all day and the odd bit of quality .

Strange game, reading were good for at least a point, Clement seems to have used all his luck keeping us up that season !
Division 2 on 22:01 - Aug 3 with 1355 viewsMrSwerve

It's already been happening the past month or two but I guess we'll have to get used to Cardiff fans coming on here giving us football 'advice' for a while...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Division 2 on 22:04 - Aug 3 with 1333 viewsbluey_the_blue

Division 2 on 21:48 - Aug 3 by ploppy

The point about the high press is you mix it up. You don't do it for 90 minutes, you pick your opportunities. You keep your shape defensively, don't get dragged around.

Against sides overplaying the ball, you get more time to keep that shape / reform that shape.

Burnley did that fairly well, as someone else noted.

For me, I don't really care what the top 6 do. It's a different financial league.
Division 2 on 22:10 - Aug 3 with 1274 viewsploppy

Division 2 on 21:53 - Aug 3 by jackjackjackjack

Outside of the top teams last season the most successful club were Burnley, and they play long ball.

Really? Bit of a sweeping statement that. I certainly have seen them play long ball - against us at the Liberty, for example. They were crap and lost. To us - one of the worst teams in the league.

I have also seen them play some very decent football e.g when they took West Ham apart at the London Stadium thing.
Division 2 on 22:17 - Aug 3 with 1230 viewsploppy

Division 2 on 22:04 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

The point about the high press is you mix it up. You don't do it for 90 minutes, you pick your opportunities. You keep your shape defensively, don't get dragged around.

Against sides overplaying the ball, you get more time to keep that shape / reform that shape.

Burnley did that fairly well, as someone else noted.

For me, I don't really care what the top 6 do. It's a different financial league.

Feck me. Where to start ....

Sorry, I can't be arsed. Good luck this season clearing the ball from the back into the channels and "playing in the opposition's half".
Division 2 on 22:29 - Aug 3 with 1180 viewsSwanseajill

Yes Lifey, we definately ..did not put all the meat on the BBQ.

I couldn't believe we rolled over with such ease. I watched the other PL teams around our postion, they were playing their guts out.

I just couldn't see that effort from us in the last 9 games. I'm still trying to come to terms with it.

That will hit me tomorrow I reckon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024