Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News 12:17 - Jan 12 with 5112 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

A step closer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38571240

This post has been edited by an administrator

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:06 - Jan 12 with 1449 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:03 - Jan 12 by felixstowe_jack

The French one is a BARAGE across the river not a TIDAL lagoon. IT has a 240Mwatts as opposed to Swansea's 320MW. The only likely effect of the Swansea lagoon is a build up of sand on the West side rather than the wind blowing it Aberavon.

Funnily enough I'd read a report recently that said that as well. I thought it'd be nice to get a bit more sand back on Swansea Bay - I'm sure there used to be a lot more there when I was a kid than there is now.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:09 - Jan 12 with 1435 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:06 - Jan 12 by Scotia

At present it looks like the turbine contract may go to GE based in Nantgarw between Cardiff and Caerphilly. As all other lagoons (if the Swansea experiment works) will be much nearer their base, I can't see them moving this operation permanently to Swansea, if at all.

I know that there were talks happening about manufacturing in the docks (Kings Dock).

That was a while ago though as for some time this has looked like it wasn't going to happen.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:13 - Jan 12 with 1424 viewslifelong

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 13:53 - Jan 12 by tomdickharry

This is good news for Swansea, hopefully this report will get a quick approval by the UK Gov.

It could be very good news for Swansea, a commentator just said on Sky News, "We should go ahead and build the Swansea Lagoon and see what happens.'

I wasn't too assured by the "see what happens" bit.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 14:42]
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:14 - Jan 12 with 1418 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:09 - Jan 12 by londonlisa2001

I know that there were talks happening about manufacturing in the docks (Kings Dock).

That was a while ago though as for some time this has looked like it wasn't going to happen.

Assembly would happen in the docks, but I don't think manufacture would and certainly not long term.
The lagoon company have talked about a lot of things that don't really ring true. They are currently looking at lagoons being built in India. I'd expect any manufacturing base to move there eventually.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:23 - Jan 12 with 1388 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:03 - Jan 12 by felixstowe_jack

The French one is a BARAGE across the river not a TIDAL lagoon. IT has a 240Mwatts as opposed to Swansea's 320MW. The only likely effect of the Swansea lagoon is a build up of sand on the West side rather than the wind blowing it Aberavon.

And sedimentation of Kenfig SSSI, the silting up of Monkstone Marina, the loss of Blackpill SSSI, the loss of invertebrates in the bay and subsequent food chain, the drastic alteration in tidal flow which could replace all sand in the bay with mud, the potential damage to fish stocks, the danger to shipping which could make Swansea dock unusable (ABP do not approve of the scheme) and the increased flooding along Mumbles road (for which they have no protection agreed).

None of this may happen, all of this could be the tip of the iceberg of negative impacts. I wish they'd experiment somewhere else.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:37 - Jan 12 with 1348 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:23 - Jan 12 by Scotia

And sedimentation of Kenfig SSSI, the silting up of Monkstone Marina, the loss of Blackpill SSSI, the loss of invertebrates in the bay and subsequent food chain, the drastic alteration in tidal flow which could replace all sand in the bay with mud, the potential damage to fish stocks, the danger to shipping which could make Swansea dock unusable (ABP do not approve of the scheme) and the increased flooding along Mumbles road (for which they have no protection agreed).

None of this may happen, all of this could be the tip of the iceberg of negative impacts. I wish they'd experiment somewhere else.

On top of all that you have a miniscule amount of electricity that will only be available for a short period 4 times a day at 4 times the price of normal electricity.
The massive price of which is guaranteed to the generators for 99 years.

The actual lagoon and Turbines will also suffer with severe silting, still I suppose that is another job created, dredging the lagoon.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:43 - Jan 12 with 1319 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:23 - Jan 12 by Scotia

ABP (or strictly ABPMer) provided the feasibility studies in support of the project?

They are also the ones that were in talks about using Kings Dock for turbines (whether manufacture or assembly)? Have they changed their stance then in the last few months?

Edited to add: just checked their web site - they're still shouting about it, so if they don't support it it's an odd thing for them to make a thing about on their website?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 14:45]
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:11 - Jan 12 with 1267 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:43 - Jan 12 by londonlisa2001

ABP (or strictly ABPMer) provided the feasibility studies in support of the project?

They are also the ones that were in talks about using Kings Dock for turbines (whether manufacture or assembly)? Have they changed their stance then in the last few months?

Edited to add: just checked their web site - they're still shouting about it, so if they don't support it it's an odd thing for them to make a thing about on their website?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 14:45]

ABP provided 1 of the 2 models (out of a total of 3) showing significant negative impacts on the bay, highlighting a danger to ship traffic amongst other impacts, interestingly it was not produced by ABPMer. They were one of the interested parties in the tidal lagoon hearing, they were not there in support, their concerns are on the Planning inspectorate website and are quite wide ranging.
It is possible they have relaxed their stance as they could stand to make a fair amount of cash out of it now it has permission as it would be on their land and part of it would be compulsory purchased, and once permission was granted, as a business, they would have to look at maximising the situation . Of course engaging a consultant with a conflict of interest could be a very clever tactic?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 15:32]
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:24 - Jan 12 with 1234 viewsperchrockjack

So Swansea actually becoming pre eminent in something is bad.

The place is dying. It needs regeneration on a massive scale, greater than Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool or Wolverhampton.

This would create jobs

Destroy the bay?

Nah

Great news

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:32 - Jan 12 with 1215 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 13:40 - Jan 12 by londonlisa2001

Of course a more positive way of looking at it would be to say that Swansea will become the centre of the knowledge and skill base required and it will then benefit from selling that knowledge and skill base to all the areas which come after it.

There has been talk of the turbines being manufactured for example in the docks. If that happens then they could also manufacture turbines for all the other projects, creating highly skilled jobs in the area. And yet Swansea will not be blighted by one of the much larger scale projects that the other parts of the country will be lumbered with.

But that would involve you being less negative about everything for the sake of it.

Along with probable irreversible environmental damage, great!
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:34 - Jan 12 with 1207 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:24 - Jan 12 by perchrockjack

So Swansea actually becoming pre eminent in something is bad.

The place is dying. It needs regeneration on a massive scale, greater than Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool or Wolverhampton.

This would create jobs

Destroy the bay?

Nah

Great news

Swansea is crying out for re-generation.

It is insane that as we are about to regenerate the city centre and connect it to the bay, we may destroy the bay.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:37 - Jan 12 with 1195 viewsraynor94

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:32 - Jan 12 by Swanzay

Along with probable irreversible environmental damage, great!

Shredding a few fish? for the jobs it will create, a small price to pay

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:37 - Jan 12 with 1195 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:11 - Jan 12 by Scotia

ABP provided 1 of the 2 models (out of a total of 3) showing significant negative impacts on the bay, highlighting a danger to ship traffic amongst other impacts, interestingly it was not produced by ABPMer. They were one of the interested parties in the tidal lagoon hearing, they were not there in support, their concerns are on the Planning inspectorate website and are quite wide ranging.
It is possible they have relaxed their stance as they could stand to make a fair amount of cash out of it now it has permission as it would be on their land and part of it would be compulsory purchased, and once permission was granted, as a business, they would have to look at maximising the situation . Of course engaging a consultant with a conflict of interest could be a very clever tactic?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 15:32]

ABPmer welcomes tidal lagoon decision
10/06/2015

ABPmer welcomes the decision by the energy and climate change secretary to grant planning permission to the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project in South Wales.

ABPmer has been providing marine environmental advice and support to the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project since 2012; one of a series of tidal range schemes the developer, Tidal Lagoon Power, is considering around the UK's shores.

Bill Cooper, Managing Director at ABPmer said: "It's excellent news that Tidal Lagoon Swansea Bay has been given the green light, especially as it is a landmark scheme, potentially the world’s first tidal lagoon.

We have been working with the developer from the outset, undertaking feasibility studies and contributing to the Environmental Statement that supported the planning application.”

Using their multi-disciplinary expertise, ABPmer wrote the navigation, coastal processes, marine mammals and benthic ecology chapters. Authoring these four topics presented an important opportunity to closely integrate the marine subjects, creating a unified document.

ABPmer has been involved with the UK tidal range sector since 2008 having been part of the consortium that delivered the Strategic Environmental Assessment associated with the Severn Tidal Power Feasibility Study that investigated whether the UK Government could support a tidal power scheme in the Severn and, if so, on what terms. A high level study that still remains relevant to advancing lagoon and barrage schemes.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 17:30 - Jan 12 with 1083 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 13:40 - Jan 12 by londonlisa2001

Of course a more positive way of looking at it would be to say that Swansea will become the centre of the knowledge and skill base required and it will then benefit from selling that knowledge and skill base to all the areas which come after it.

There has been talk of the turbines being manufactured for example in the docks. If that happens then they could also manufacture turbines for all the other projects, creating highly skilled jobs in the area. And yet Swansea will not be blighted by one of the much larger scale projects that the other parts of the country will be lumbered with.

But that would involve you being less negative about everything for the sake of it.

Spot on.

The report guy referred to the world leading industry that could be developed as a result of the lagoon being built. You never know, maybe the WAG may invest in that industry being based in Swansea.

On the other hand .........
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 17:42 - Jan 12 with 1052 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 13:37 - Jan 12 by Gundog

Brilliant news, this will have a massive effect on tourism and draw in mega bucks a really big plus for Swansea.
Will be great to fish off also.

"Daddy Daddy, Let's not go to EuroDisney this year. Let's go to that lagoon in Swansea instead".

Tourism? Yeah, right.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:18 - Jan 12 with 990 viewsBanosswan

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 17:42 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

"Daddy Daddy, Let's not go to EuroDisney this year. Let's go to that lagoon in Swansea instead".

Tourism? Yeah, right.

It's about putting things on in it. Powerboats, sailing, anything. Plus school visits etc

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:19 - Jan 12 with 990 viewsyescomeon

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 14:37 - Jan 12 by A_Fans_Dad

On top of all that you have a miniscule amount of electricity that will only be available for a short period 4 times a day at 4 times the price of normal electricity.
The massive price of which is guaranteed to the generators for 99 years.

The actual lagoon and Turbines will also suffer with severe silting, still I suppose that is another job created, dredging the lagoon.

The electricity is available for most of the day. It also has energy storage potential, which is a huge advantage as energy storage is a big issue.

At the end of the day, you can do all the modelling in the world but you never know until you build it. Someone has to just take the plunge and hope for the best. It looks like it's going to happen in Swansea. If it works, which it should, and there are no serious environmental effects, the major unknown, then bigger lagoons will be built around the country, at places like Cardiff and Conwy off the top of my head.

Upthecity!

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:20 - Jan 12 with 990 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 15:37 - Jan 12 by londonlisa2001

ABPmer welcomes tidal lagoon decision
10/06/2015

ABPmer welcomes the decision by the energy and climate change secretary to grant planning permission to the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project in South Wales.

ABPmer has been providing marine environmental advice and support to the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project since 2012; one of a series of tidal range schemes the developer, Tidal Lagoon Power, is considering around the UK's shores.

Bill Cooper, Managing Director at ABPmer said: "It's excellent news that Tidal Lagoon Swansea Bay has been given the green light, especially as it is a landmark scheme, potentially the world’s first tidal lagoon.

We have been working with the developer from the outset, undertaking feasibility studies and contributing to the Environmental Statement that supported the planning application.”

Using their multi-disciplinary expertise, ABPmer wrote the navigation, coastal processes, marine mammals and benthic ecology chapters. Authoring these four topics presented an important opportunity to closely integrate the marine subjects, creating a unified document.

ABPmer has been involved with the UK tidal range sector since 2008 having been part of the consortium that delivered the Strategic Environmental Assessment associated with the Severn Tidal Power Feasibility Study that investigated whether the UK Government could support a tidal power scheme in the Severn and, if so, on what terms. A high level study that still remains relevant to advancing lagoon and barrage schemes.

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projec

These are just the written representations from ABP, which were discussed in more detail at the hearing. They can be positive and negative. This is 12 pages of negativity. I can't remember exactly what was discussed at the hearing as it was two years ago - but it wasn't positive and certainly not supportive.

These may have been settled by now, but I don't know about that.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:26 - Jan 12 with 985 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:18 - Jan 12 by Banosswan

It's about putting things on in it. Powerboats, sailing, anything. Plus school visits etc

We've already got a bay you can do that in.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:27 - Jan 12 with 978 viewsBanosswan

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:26 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

We've already got a bay you can do that in.

But this has a wall around it

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:35 - Jan 12 with 968 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:27 - Jan 12 by Banosswan

But this has a wall around it

So you have to turn around a lot sooner.

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:36 - Jan 12 with 967 viewsairedale

I'm not swimming in it, nor my dogs. Nobody is chopping us up into mincemeat.
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 18:51 - Jan 12 with 949 viewsjack2jack

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 12:32 - Jan 12 by BigPhilG

Cardiff's branch of the Samaritans helpline has gone into meltdown because somebody else has had something

Yeah but they will have one and it'll be bigger and better in everyway.
Jealousy is an awful mistress
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 19:17 - Jan 12 with 912 viewsdickythorpe

A good song and dance routine is needed here.....
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 19:18]
Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 19:33 - Jan 12 with 892 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Bay Lagoon - Good News on 19:17 - Jan 12 by dickythorpe

A good song and dance routine is needed here.....
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 19:18]

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2017/01/12/hendry-review-backs-1-3
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024