Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 217245 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 13:25 - Jul 1 with 1466 viewsSuperhoop83

General Election Thread on 12:38 - Jul 1 by derbyhoop

Farage lying? Surely not?
Like a posh version of Arthur Daley. Anybody trusting him needs to have a serious look at their "contract". It makes Brexit look deliverable and Truss a model of common sense.

You forgot to mention that he's a man of the people too.

Suffering since 1978.

General Election Thread on 13:45 - Jul 1 with 1401 viewsflynnbo

General Election Thread on 13:25 - Jul 1 by Superhoop83

You forgot to mention that he's a man of the people too.

Enjoyed Jonathan Pie when we saw him in April.
General Election Thread on 14:39 - Jul 1 with 1307 viewsQPR_John

General Election Thread on 10:58 - Jul 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Labour think he's won.

They have banned their candidate from campaigning.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-clacton-farage-reform-jova

I would suggest Labour will be quite happy if Farage won Clacton.
General Election Thread on 15:04 - Jul 1 with 1256 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 11:40 - Jul 1 by Watford_Ranger

They haven’t. They’ve focussed funding on what they perceive to be more winnable seats as all parties always have and are doing now.

They’ve physically moved the candidate to the West Midlands.
General Election Thread on 15:41 - Jul 1 with 1201 viewskensalriser

Hope Labour are paying attention to what happens when the centre persistently fails and pisses off everybody.

I'm not confident. I fear that once climate change migration starts in earnest there'll be governments in Europe shooting to kill at small boats. And people will applaud them.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

General Election Thread on 16:21 - Jul 1 with 1165 viewsterryb

General Election Thread on 15:41 - Jul 1 by kensalriser

Hope Labour are paying attention to what happens when the centre persistently fails and pisses off everybody.

I'm not confident. I fear that once climate change migration starts in earnest there'll be governments in Europe shooting to kill at small boats. And people will applaud them.

I'm not sure where this centre position is that you mention.

Unless you consider Blair as central (further to the right of Ted), I don't think we've had that since Heath!
General Election Thread on 17:13 - Jul 1 with 1124 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bad news for Corbyn critics.

The Labour candidate in Islington North is under criminal investigation.
General Election Thread on 17:58 - Jul 1 with 1076 viewsStainrod

General Election Thread on 10:46 - Jul 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

I heard Farage say 'zero entries' on TV the other day but the manifesto says 'non crucial immigration' so not really sure.

Which, as I suspect you might agree, begs the question. If someone is coming to the country to take up a role as a nurse, is that "crucial"? Or if the role can't be filled - and there are already tens of thousands of vacancies in the NHS - is that just tough, and we do without the nurse? Or do they pump billions extra into the NHS to raise salaries and tempt more Brits into the roles? If so, where does that money come from? These are the kind of real, serious problems governments have to wrestle with, albeit the Conservatives were never truthful or brave enough to spell out the trade offs.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 18:33 - Jul 1 with 1024 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 17:58 - Jul 1 by Stainrod

Which, as I suspect you might agree, begs the question. If someone is coming to the country to take up a role as a nurse, is that "crucial"? Or if the role can't be filled - and there are already tens of thousands of vacancies in the NHS - is that just tough, and we do without the nurse? Or do they pump billions extra into the NHS to raise salaries and tempt more Brits into the roles? If so, where does that money come from? These are the kind of real, serious problems governments have to wrestle with, albeit the Conservatives were never truthful or brave enough to spell out the trade offs.

The ambiguity of the term ‘crucial’ is deliberate. Gives wiggle room for future U-Turns. Personally, I can’t think of any front line rolea that aren’t crucial.

Migration for me is a moral issue not an economic one. I’m not a fan of determining someone’s legitimacy or worth by their labour contribution.

A sure fire way of reducing migration of all kinds into your country, if that is your bag, is to:

- Invest in poor nations infrastructure and remove historic debt without condition to make working there more attractive.
- Cease foreign interventions, both militarily and with subterfuge to avoid people displaced by war.
- Combat climate change (the big one) to avoid future climate migrants.

None of that is attractive to Reform or any party committed to GDP growth for GDP growth’s sake.
[Post edited 1 Jul 23:06]
General Election Thread on 18:33 - Jul 1 with 2933 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 17:13 - Jul 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bad news for Corbyn critics.

The Labour candidate in Islington North is under criminal investigation.

Where did you see this Bazza?
General Election Thread on 23:10 - Jul 1 with 2714 viewscolinallcars

My neighbour is even older than me, nearly 88 so I offered him a lift to the polling station on Thursday. Turns out he doesn't have photo ID.
Now, I know this only applies to a small number of people, but I remember when it was introduced there were accusations of disenfranchising older and poorer people.
Any thoughts ?
General Election Thread on 23:12 - Jul 1 with 2709 viewsDannyPaddox

General Election Thread on 23:10 - Jul 1 by colinallcars

My neighbour is even older than me, nearly 88 so I offered him a lift to the polling station on Thursday. Turns out he doesn't have photo ID.
Now, I know this only applies to a small number of people, but I remember when it was introduced there were accusations of disenfranchising older and poorer people.
Any thoughts ?

Maybe an obvious question but does he have a bus pass?
General Election Thread on 23:18 - Jul 1 with 2691 viewscolinallcars

General Election Thread on 23:12 - Jul 1 by DannyPaddox

Maybe an obvious question but does he have a bus pass?

I'll ask in the morning.
I'll be OK on Thursday, I have a pair of cufflinks with my initials on them.
[Post edited 1 Jul 23:26]
General Election Thread on 00:16 - Jul 2 with 2608 viewsDannyPaddox

General Election Thread on 23:18 - Jul 1 by colinallcars

I'll ask in the morning.
I'll be OK on Thursday, I have a pair of cufflinks with my initials on them.
[Post edited 1 Jul 23:26]

Even an old persons bus pass which is out of date is valid as voting ID just as long there is some kind of likeness.

Strangely young people cannot use student bus-passes as photo ID for voting.
General Election Thread on 08:44 - Jul 2 with 2440 viewsSydneyRs

Bookies now have a Reform majority at lower odds than a Tory one (both still at very long odds though). The Tories really have massively hit the self destruct button and you wonder if they will ever recover.
General Election Thread on 09:35 - Jul 2 with 2398 viewsdm97

Just when you think they can’t get more out of touch they start an attack line against Starmer for *checking notes* wanting to spend time with his kids on a Friday night and *oh right* in line with his Wife’s religious customs.

They are truly through the looking glass if they think this is gotcha politics. Everything crossed the mega defeat is accurate.
[Post edited 2 Jul 9:37]
General Election Thread on 10:27 - Jul 2 with 2321 viewsloftboy

General Election Thread on 08:44 - Jul 2 by SydneyRs

Bookies now have a Reform majority at lower odds than a Tory one (both still at very long odds though). The Tories really have massively hit the self destruct button and you wonder if they will ever recover.

They said that about labour a few years back, people get fed up with the current incumbent and immediately forget any wrongdoings the opposition has done in the past.
Personally speaking I have usually voted Tory but after the lies and deceit in lockdown which prevented my mum from being with my dad as he passed away after 65 years of marriage whilst they were having parties I will never ever vote for them cúnts again.
Had to do a postal vote this time around , there was no independent candidates on the form, Lowestoft is a new constituency amd in the polls Tory and labour are neck and neck, I voted labour as a lesser of two evils and to hopefully prevent a Tory getting in, a vote for the other 3 parties in this area would just be wasted.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 11:03 - Jul 2 with 2274 viewsdmm

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

There are several things the West could do to help poorer countries without there being a direct cost. One of them is to reform the international tax systems which allows multinational corporations to work in countries without paying much or any national tax. That money should be helping to fund the country's social services such as health and education but instead is retained by the MNCs.

It's a scam that's been going on for a long time and costs poor countries many billions of dollars every year. Does the West, including the UK, do anything meaningful about this injustice? No.
General Election Thread on 12:20 - Jul 2 with 2138 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 23:10 - Jul 1 by colinallcars

Any thoughts ?

Rees Mogg virtually admitted that voter ID was an attempt to gerrymandering. By making it easier for the old, who tend to vote Tory and more difficult for the young. Example was Senior Railcard was valid ID, Student card wasn't valid.
It backfired as many older people didn't take valid ID with them. And they weren't going out twice.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 14:58 - Jul 2 with 1994 viewsWatford_Ranger

To go in on Starmer for saying he prioritises family on a Friday night is dumb and lazy (more so considering the buffoon voted in last time). To go in on him after it’s been explained it’s a very standard ritual for Jews, much like a non-religious Christian family would spend Sunday lunch together, is absurd dog whistle behaviour.
General Election Thread on 15:44 - Jul 2 with 1912 views222gers

General Election Thread on 14:58 - Jul 2 by Watford_Ranger

To go in on Starmer for saying he prioritises family on a Friday night is dumb and lazy (more so considering the buffoon voted in last time). To go in on him after it’s been explained it’s a very standard ritual for Jews, much like a non-religious Christian family would spend Sunday lunch together, is absurd dog whistle behaviour.

I agree. I was reading his history on Wiki. He was called to the bar in 1986. Ah, a man after my own heart - I've been called to the bar umpteen times.
General Election Thread on 16:05 - Jul 2 with 1851 viewsStanisgod

General Election Thread on 10:27 - Jul 2 by loftboy

They said that about labour a few years back, people get fed up with the current incumbent and immediately forget any wrongdoings the opposition has done in the past.
Personally speaking I have usually voted Tory but after the lies and deceit in lockdown which prevented my mum from being with my dad as he passed away after 65 years of marriage whilst they were having parties I will never ever vote for them cúnts again.
Had to do a postal vote this time around , there was no independent candidates on the form, Lowestoft is a new constituency amd in the polls Tory and labour are neck and neck, I voted labour as a lesser of two evils and to hopefully prevent a Tory getting in, a vote for the other 3 parties in this area would just be wasted.

No vote is " wasted " as long as you vote.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

General Election Thread on 16:13 - Jul 2 with 1833 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 16:05 - Jul 2 by Stanisgod

No vote is " wasted " as long as you vote.

It’s a nice sentiment but I think this is what Loftboy means:

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/campaigns/electoral-reform/
[Post edited 2 Jul 16:15]
General Election Thread on 16:20 - Jul 2 with 1804 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Speaker - Order, order. The Right Honourable Planet.

PH - Thank you Mr. Speaker:

Between now until the polls open, the right-wing media will be frothing at the mouth, and the front page headlines on Thursday morning will be near hysteria. I ask members: rise above the self-serving interests of foreign tax domiciled media barons!

As someone who tended to vote more conservative, I have found myself cast adrift with the poor offering on all sides of the House. I couldn't vote Cameron for the reason I couldn't vote Blair - never trusted them! However Mr. Speaker, post-Brexit, the Tories have been totally and utterly unelectable in my humble.

Speaker - Order, order...order! Planet.

Planet - We've been lumbered with appalling PMs; rife incompetence and mismanagement; and they've driven a horse and cart through integrity in public office. Repeatedly!

So, simply put: Fck 'em!!

House - Uproar.

Speaker - Orderrrr. Order!

Planet - Thank you Mr.Speaker. The Tories are in need of a good thrashing and to go away and recalibrate themselves into what being a proper political party should mean. That said, and the only concern with a Tory wipeout: the old adage that if you want good government, you need good opposition, springs to mind. As does a simple message to the good people of Clacton: You have one job, and thats to send Oswald Mosley packing!!

House - Hear, hear, hear.

Planet - I've said for ages that Starmer was the most important person in UK politics. For if he provided no meaningful opposition, I think the UK would be in bigger trouble. Come Friday morning, we'll see if he's done enough to earn the most important job and if he has Mr. Speaker, then good luck to him! He'll need it, as he's got a huge job on his hands.

All I know of him is from two people who've met him: one worked under him in the CPS, the other has dealt with him officially, and both spoke highly of him (one of them is not a labour supporter).

As for multimillionaire Sunak: if growing up without satellite telly is perceived to be a great hardship, and leaving the D-Day commeration event early to do a TV interview is deemed ok, then it really is time for change!

House - rousing sounds

Planet - And Mr. Speaker....Mr. Speaker...I commend this speech to the House.

House - Uproar, and someone nutting Rees-Mogg

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

General Election Thread on 17:01 - Jul 2 with 1717 viewsdmm

I abhor violence but on this occasion I am willing to make an exception. I will be that someone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024