Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit .... My thoughts... 11:07 - Jun 16 with 143261 viewsJacksDad

The one thing I am certain of re this vote is that no-one knows for sure what the repercussions economically will be if we pull out. If you listen to the experts it will be better if we stay in, however its all unconvincing. My issue is that after 10 years of Austerity, the services in this country have been cut to the bone, that is services that are needed by us all - not just Immigrants/benefit spongers. We are not in a position to afford the enormous gamble if it all goes t1ts up. I am taking my lead from Ray Winston and gambling responsibly and staying in. If we ever get to situation when everything is adequately funded and horrible 0 hours contracts were abolished ... then maybe it might be worth the risk to pull out. But to do it now is a massive gamble which we just cannot afford to lose.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:49 - Jul 11 with 2333 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 23:12 - Jul 7 by DannytheR

I'd like them to go to the States. I've seen you talking about British universities as the best in the world before, and without wanting to be a pain in the arse about it, it's another very optimistic interpretation of the facts. The last world rankings had literally something like 44 American universities in the top 100 as against ten British. Even Oxford and Cambridge are on the slide.

It's also a question of what they do with their lives afterwards, and an American university will give them a better chance of staying there and building something better for themselves than what England can now offer them.

British universities are very dependent on students from abroad, it's true. At the moment our big names still carry a lot of weight as a designer label, but that can't last forever once all those rich parents realise the quality of teaching is higher elsewhere. The truth is Brexit will only hasten the brain drain heading in the opposite direction.

All joking aside, I realise we've been playing ping pong on this for a while now, but you're a bright bloke - deep down you know your side is a busted flush. Look at the last few pages of this thread: people using three year old articles to say France is about to go under (when it's actually just overtaken us); people saying they voted to leave the EU when it turns out they actually wanted to leave the European Court of Human Rights; when in doubt bring up Gordon Brown. On one level it's funny, but there are real world consequences to this fiasco, and you know just like I do they're going to be ugly.

I think I've said on here before, I've got nothing but contempt for the way the EU treated Greece, but it's also worth remembering how much of the strife there was originally due to the financial crash. (Not sure even Gordon Brown can be blamed for that one). And remind me, which country is now apparently on the verge of handing over the next four years of its government to an unelected former banker?

In the midst of all the horror stories about European economies (even the stuff which isn't three years old), it's interesting you would mention Spain. 3.2% growth last year, forecast to do even better this one. When do you reckon we'll next have 3.2% growth?

Sounds like Loathsome is about to pull out meaning May could be PM in the next two weeks.

That might bring some much needed stability to he £.

On Spain, it's economy has been utterly shattered for the past 8 years, so at some point, an upturn has to gather momentum. Part of that has come from house purchases by Brits taking advantage of a strong pound/weak Euro, which is already producing anecdotal evidence of buyers pulling out not just on the £'s drop which has put £10,000 to £15,000 on house purchases, but profound doubt about the position buyers will have to be here. The point is Spain will unlikely see growth of 3.2% next year as the growth drivers are not going to be there.

Many ex-pats here, Brits, Dutch, German whatever, are on fixed incomes. For the Brits I've spoken to they have taken a hit of around 80-90 Euros a month since last month, and that just sucks spending out of local economies which will hit alot of local businesses really quite hard.So I just cannot see Spain getting 3.2% or anywhere near it.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 14:01 - Jul 11 with 2259 viewshoof_hearted

..of course, if Spain pulled out of the Euro they could have a devalued currency that reflected their own economy. If they'd never joined the Euro they'd never even have got into the problems they're in now. And Greece. And Portugal. And probably Italy and Ireland.

The EU might well have been a good thing but the Euro is still teetering and causing huge problems by being overvalued everywhere except Germany.

The other thing the EU has stopped is the ability to be a poor but happy peasant farmer. Never something that we had but France and Spain used to be full of them. Magnificently poor with a superb quality of life but no longer in keeping mit ze zuperstate.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 06:49 - Jul 14 with 2141 views18StoneOfHoop

I note the Lower Loft befouling and besmirching Season Ticket holder and treacherous brutal BoJo Brutus-like back and front stabbber,Mr. Michael Gove,has not been offered anything by Theresa May yet.

Tory hierarchy please do us all a favour and put him out for a long spell in the long grass. He won't be missed just like Osborne won't.

Please Gob, let this slippery,smug,nakedly-ambitious 'intellectual' wannabe and Barlby Road London W10 resident get sweet FA.

Did anyone notice how much H2O Michael Gove was nervously knocking back during his last-minute-by-the-seat-of-his-pants 'I'm standing' ad hoc press conference?

Fish lips stuck. "The moment you realise the intellectual force behind Brexit Britain still hasn't learned how to drink a glass of water."

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13606985_737739136368608_836849986

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 13:28 - Jul 20 with 1968 viewsloftboy

Just reported on the news that job agency's havent seen a downturn in their recruitment including those from international companies, as I thought we will be fine without the shackles of that god damn corrupt organisation.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 14:32 - Jul 20 with 1907 viewsstumbleandfall

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 13:28 - Jul 20 by loftboy

Just reported on the news that job agency's havent seen a downturn in their recruitment including those from international companies, as I thought we will be fine without the shackles of that god damn corrupt organisation.

Just reported on the news that £850 million research funding and long establish research collaboratives have gone down the swanny.

Medical research etc in the UK screwed but yes those shackles have gone.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2016 14:33]
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 21:28 - Jul 21 with 1800 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 13:28 - Jul 20 by loftboy

Way too early to say UK is out of the woods, banks are under pressure and airlines taking a serious hit on fuel costs, Easy Jet has had costs of £40 Mil in the four weeks since Brexit. They cant sustain that for too long and will pass it on to the customer.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 00:33 - Jul 22 with 1756 viewsderbyhoop

Construction sector down.
Retail sales down 0.9% in June.
Euro tunnel and Easyjet profits down.
Purchasing Managers Index (PMII) showing the worst figures since the financial collapse in 2009.

All the things that the "scaremongering" predicted seems to be coming through.

Meanwhile the UK won't trigger Article 50 this year, because nobody can work out what we want from the negotiations. Will the delay not add to uncertainty, slowing business investment?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 12:49]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:31 - Jul 22 with 1673 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 00:33 - Jul 22 by derbyhoop

Construction sector down.
Retail sales down 0.9% in June.
Euro tunnel and Easyjet profits down.
Purchasing Managers Index (PMII) showing the worst figures since the financial collapse in 2009.

All the things that the "scaremongering" predicted seems to be coming through.

Meanwhile the UK won't trigger Article 50 this year, because nobody can work out what we want from the negotiations. Will the delay not add to uncertainty, slowing business investment?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 12:49]

Oh Dear ,
The PMI figures are from a survey carried out by Markit a financial services company based in Bermuda .There are no official figures yet .
The exchange rate has affected easyjet , but so has factors like atc action , terrorist activity leading to cancellation .
Retail sales always go down in the summer .
As I said before , its our decision , we go when we want .You dont walk onto the pitch before picking your team and deciding on tactics
Give it up Derby , The Ftse 100 is booming despite its CEOs predicting armageddon .Presumably they wont take their share price related bonus .The Ftse 250 is back to its bre brexit average .The pound is inching back .The French have said they want to keep the border agreement . Boris isnt PM and non EU countries are approaching us for bi layeral trade deals . Dont worry , they wont throw you out ...promise
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:16 - Jul 22 with 1657 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:31 - Jul 22 by essextaxiboy

Oh Dear ,
The PMI figures are from a survey carried out by Markit a financial services company based in Bermuda .There are no official figures yet .
The exchange rate has affected easyjet , but so has factors like atc action , terrorist activity leading to cancellation .
Retail sales always go down in the summer .
As I said before , its our decision , we go when we want .You dont walk onto the pitch before picking your team and deciding on tactics
Give it up Derby , The Ftse 100 is booming despite its CEOs predicting armageddon .Presumably they wont take their share price related bonus .The Ftse 250 is back to its bre brexit average .The pound is inching back .The French have said they want to keep the border agreement . Boris isnt PM and non EU countries are approaching us for bi layeral trade deals . Dont worry , they wont throw you out ...promise

Loving your wild optimism Essex but day isn't night however loud you scream it. The pound is inching back? Now that is sheer gold glossed double shyte, it's a full 12 cents off the Euro on the day before Brexit, and the Euro is one basket case of a currency in the developed world, and the pound would have been at 1.40 plus against the Euro. 1.18 is cr4p with the major prospect of falling through the floor yet.
However you dress it up Easy Jets costs in the four weeks since have been an additional £40 Mil on fuel alone due to the poor exchange rate to the dollar. As stated by them. They will have to pass it on as that is not sustainable.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 21:33 - Jul 22 with 1608 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:16 - Jul 22 by Brightonhoop

Loving your wild optimism Essex but day isn't night however loud you scream it. The pound is inching back? Now that is sheer gold glossed double shyte, it's a full 12 cents off the Euro on the day before Brexit, and the Euro is one basket case of a currency in the developed world, and the pound would have been at 1.40 plus against the Euro. 1.18 is cr4p with the major prospect of falling through the floor yet.
However you dress it up Easy Jets costs in the four weeks since have been an additional £40 Mil on fuel alone due to the poor exchange rate to the dollar. As stated by them. They will have to pass it on as that is not sustainable.

Its not wild optimism , but it is positivity . I cant believe how desperate some people are for the country to fail and be proved right .
I do try to be positive , just the way I am .
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 02:15 - Jul 23 with 1546 viewsderbyhoop

PMII Iis used as a major indicator of future performance.

Retail sales do not always go down in Summer. But they are affected by weather as much as consumer confidence.

I'll give you the FTSE100 being in positive territory. However, most of the constituent companies benefit from the falling exchange rate as they earn in $ but report in £.

The £ shows little sign of recovery as I know to my personal cost. The fall in the immediate aftermath of the vote was overdone but it is still trading 11 cents below the € and has stabilised between 1.18 and 1.20. I transferred some money into Euros on June 22. If I did the same transfer today, I'd be down by 250. Those living around us in France have seen their pensions fall by 100 €!per month. But the real crunch will come when buyers start adjusting for the fall against the $. That affects fuel and food prices.

I've also Been reading about how Frankfurt is receiving enquiries from companies looking to relocate from London.

As I, and others, predicted pre June, it looks like the UK economy is in for a long, bumpy ride. And all the positivity in the world is unlikely to reverse that assessment.

I know some were prepared to accept an economic downturn to leave the EU but many of those who voted Leave will pay the highest price over the next 5 years.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 06:44 - Jul 23 with 1517 viewsWatfordR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 21:33 - Jul 22 by essextaxiboy

Its not wild optimism , but it is positivity . I cant believe how desperate some people are for the country to fail and be proved right .

If some people are pointing out that their view of what was likely to happen in the aftermath of a Leave vote appears to be coming true, that doesn't make them desperate to see the country fail, that's just political spin.

Concluding that economic problems for the UK were likely in the short and medium term following a Leave vote was a fairly reasonable view to take I'd have thought. Voting Leave and imagining everything would carry on as normal with no price to pay just wasn't. Sorry.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 06:58 - Jul 23 with 1516 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 06:44 - Jul 23 by WatfordR

If some people are pointing out that their view of what was likely to happen in the aftermath of a Leave vote appears to be coming true, that doesn't make them desperate to see the country fail, that's just political spin.

Concluding that economic problems for the UK were likely in the short and medium term following a Leave vote was a fairly reasonable view to take I'd have thought. Voting Leave and imagining everything would carry on as normal with no price to pay just wasn't. Sorry.

We were told that this vote was a once in a generation chance.
Its remain voters who have jumped on the short term reactions and claimed that all of project fear was playing out .

Its like saying Alex Smithies is crap because he had a dodgy first couple of games . I know some who said that and they have a severely bitten arse .

I fully expected that there would be a short term downturn , we may even enter a technical recession and their will be another correction again in the markets IMO.

But given the generation timescale, we are talking about the ultra short term here, we can count it in weeks and days . Its too early to call, by about 5 years , and then I believe it will be seen in the same light as us rejecting the single currency , IE the correct call .

If the country is lagging behind the remaining EU countries in terms of growth in 5 yrs . I and 17 mil others will hold my hands up and say project fear was justified .

Hows that ?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 7:00]
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 08:58 - Jul 23 with 1490 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 21:33 - Jul 22 by essextaxiboy

I dont know about that mate, nobody is insulated from a collapsing economy, could be a grim winter ahead and who the fck wants that? I remember people initially being gleeful about 15% base rates in the late 80's because it showed just how incompetent Thatcher was and added elbow grease to those rallied against her, but it was terrible for the country, for the people and the economy, which within a few short months was shedding jobs and dumping people out of their homes.
Positivity is good obviously, but the shit storm is breaking, anyone taking joy in saying 'told you so' is going to get one almighty shock. Take the positives where they exist but the economy is in a tail spin. Despite the FTSE. Only a lunatic would want to see their own economy unravelling but it is. And it's not good.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 09:09 - Jul 23 with 1483 viewsMytch_QPR

We'll find out how bad it is around September - figures from VAT and stamp duty revenues etc.

The Markit survey - as I understand it - measures business confidence (or lack of) as it surveys purchasing managers. It's gone severely negative because businesses are generally sitting on their hands and doing nothing. Pre-referendum, my wife was told to select a new co car. Post Brexit, this has been cancelled indefinitely (so we're stuck with an overrated Bavarian Cortina for a while longer). If this is happening on a wider basis, it's only a matter of time before companies lay off staff.

There's a lot of 'talking it up' at the moment, but I suspect the hard figures will show how bad it is going.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 09:40 - Jul 23 with 1457 viewsloftboy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:16 - Jul 22 by Brightonhoop

When I last bought euros two years ago,after shopping about the best I could get was €.1.17, pretty mu h what it is today.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:13 - Jul 23 with 1438 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 09:40 - Jul 23 by loftboy

When I last bought euros two years ago,after shopping about the best I could get was €.1.17, pretty mu h what it is today.

True, but wouldn't you prefer 1.30/1.40? Also when you're dependent on it, and have to accept whatever rate prevails on a daily basis, earning in sterling with bill sin Euros, it's suddenly diabolical. Lucky to get 1.12 through the cash point. I wont have a Spanish account for two reasons, there Banks are a house of cards, and when I did my account got frozen because my Bro sent me a £10 for a birthday drink and it couldn't be id'd so they froze my account until I physicaly went into the bank and explained the deposit of £10. W4nkers.

Anyway. Some say the pound is heading for parity with the dollar and euro so should make the most of where it is now.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:21 - Jul 23 with 1425 viewsloftboy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:13 - Jul 23 by Brightonhoop

True, but wouldn't you prefer 1.30/1.40? Also when you're dependent on it, and have to accept whatever rate prevails on a daily basis, earning in sterling with bill sin Euros, it's suddenly diabolical. Lucky to get 1.12 through the cash point. I wont have a Spanish account for two reasons, there Banks are a house of cards, and when I did my account got frozen because my Bro sent me a £10 for a birthday drink and it couldn't be id'd so they froze my account until I physicaly went into the bank and explained the deposit of £10. W4nkers.

Anyway. Some say the pound is heading for parity with the dollar and euro so should make the most of where it is now.

Its okay Brighton,if trump wins the presidency the dollar will drop back to the good old days of $2 to the £, well that's what I'm hoping before I go to nee York in April for my 50th!!

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:02 - Jul 23 with 1409 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:21 - Jul 23 by loftboy

Its okay Brighton,if trump wins the presidency the dollar will drop back to the good old days of $2 to the £, well that's what I'm hoping before I go to nee York in April for my 50th!!

Ha! Well if he does get elected I hope he doesn't mistake you for a muslim or you might be spending your 60th in one of those rumoured FEMA camps...!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024