Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British sinking of the French fleet 20:24 - Sep 16 with 2960 viewstrampie

Was the British sinking of a large portion of the French fleet in North África in 1940 necessary ?

The British conduct in the war was superb and something rightly to be proud of but was the sinking and huge loss of life suffered by our allies at our own hands necessary ?
When we bombed Germán cities, they were the enemy and had bombed us but attacking the French to make sure the Germans did not get their ships when the French assured us they would never let the Germans get their ships did not seem cricket.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

British sinking of the French fleet on 21:54 - Sep 16 with 1094 viewsLohengrin

British sinking of the French fleet on 21:50 - Sep 16 by trampie

She was out there in the early 1920s not in the 40s.

Then she'd have seen the Foreign Legion smash the communist revolt.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 23:11]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

British sinking of the French fleet on 22:42 - Sep 16 with 1069 viewsBanosswan

British sinking of the French fleet on 21:09 - Sep 16 by plasjack

Is in the night garden still on?.

Half six every night

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

British sinking of the French fleet on 22:44 - Sep 16 with 1064 viewsLord_Bony

It had to be done we had no choice otherwise the Vichy french would have joined Hitler and used it against us.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

British sinking of the French fleet on 23:19 - Sep 16 with 1046 viewsLohengrin

British sinking of the French fleet on 22:44 - Sep 16 by Lord_Bony

It had to be done we had no choice otherwise the Vichy french would have joined Hitler and used it against us.

That's not what Darlan promised, nor in all honesty, what I believe would have happened. The massacre was entirely for Roosevelt's benefit; Churchill wanted to demonstrate that he would go to any lengths to prolong the war until America entered, he would stay the course at any and all costs.

The sense of betrayal felt by the French was visceral. In my opinion they were right, it was betrayal. British naval personnel felt that keenly as the eye-witness accounts bear out. It was a tragic affair, horrible.

British sinking of the French fleet on 00:30 - Sep 17 with 1027 viewsTreforys_Jack

British sinking of the French fleet on 23:19 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

That's not what Darlan promised, nor in all honesty, what I believe would have happened. The massacre was entirely for Roosevelt's benefit; Churchill wanted to demonstrate that he would go to any lengths to prolong the war until America entered, he would stay the course at any and all costs.

The sense of betrayal felt by the French was visceral. In my opinion they were right, it was betrayal. British naval personnel felt that keenly as the eye-witness accounts bear out. It was a tragic affair, horrible.

It was a horrible affair and I'm not that clued up on it, but weren't the French given plenty of notice of it happening.
British sinking of the French fleet on 08:08 - Sep 17 with 984 viewstrampie

British sinking of the French fleet on 23:19 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

It is an event that isn't often talked about, its similar to the Belgrano just not cricket.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

British sinking of the French fleet on 10:29 - Sep 17 with 962 viewsLohengrin

British sinking of the French fleet on 08:08 - Sep 17 by trampie

It is an event that isn't often talked about, its similar to the Belgrano just not cricket.

Don't be silly.

British sinking of the French fleet on 10:31 - Sep 17 with 960 viewsLohengrin

British sinking of the French fleet on 00:30 - Sep 17 by Treforys_Jack

It was a horrible affair and I'm not that clued up on it, but weren't the French given plenty of notice of it happening.

Six hours, I believe.

Login to get fewer ads

British sinking of the French fleet on 22:03 - Sep 17 with 913 viewsjandyt

It was a very sad story which many British sailors felt truly sorry about. However it was a fairly powerful French fleet which despite assurances would have been a massive threat to allied forces travelling to North Africa.

The French were given notice, admittedly not a massive amount, but enough time to either hand the fleet over or abandon the ships. Tragic but justified in my opinion.

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024