Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? 08:11 - Sep 19 with 1174 viewsAnotherJohn

Trouble brewing in Downing Street? There seems to be widespread anger among some Labour insiders about the power and authoritarian style of Sue Gray, not to mention a salary higher than that of the PM.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-sue-gray-pay-prime-m

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/keir-starmers-top-aide-sue-gray-paid-more-t

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/row-over-sue-grays-salary-33699654

Dominic Cummins, eat your heart out!
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 19:37 - Sep 19 with 441 viewsAnotherJohn

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 18:59 - Sep 19 by majorraglan

Going back to the OP, Considering the role, her experience and comparative salaries while it is a lot I don’t think it’s that excessive, the Chief Executives of our county councils are on similar salaries.

Cummings was pulling around £145k four years ago, allowing for inflation that would now be higher than what Grey is now earning. I don’t think it’s case of Cummings eat your heart out at all.
[Post edited 19 Sep 19:00]

If you read the OP more carefully, my bit isn't primarily about the salary, although that is in the newspaper headlines. My concern was more about the squabbling within Labour ranks and the complaints from a dissenting faction that Gray is operating in an authoritarian way that goes way beyond what her special advisor role should entail. This is taken up in the articles at the links, with claims about the dysfunctional nature of the No 10 team and a reference to a "nest of vipers". My sense is that trouble is brewing and that this is only tangentially connected with the size of Gray's salary.

It is the power rather than the money that I think Cummins might envy.
[Post edited 19 Sep 19:41]
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 19:39 - Sep 19 with 435 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 19:06 - Sep 19 by Scotia

As I understand she didn't work in number 10, but in the cabinet office around the corner.

If I was going to throw a party that was against the law I'd make sure as few people knew as possible.

Matt Hancock couldn’t even play tonsil hockey with his mistress in the privacy of his own office without it being filmed and plastered all over the world’s media.

The notion that these gatherings were highly hush hush and clandestine and happened in secret without anyone knowing is risible. It was an open secret.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:17 - Sep 19 with 381 viewsSullutaCreturned

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 19:06 - Sep 19 by Scotia

As I understand she didn't work in number 10, but in the cabinet office around the corner.

If I was going to throw a party that was against the law I'd make sure as few people knew as possible.

Yes so apart from the 30 or so people who were there and the phone vodeo's that got into the public domain, they did an excellent job of security. In fact with that level of brilliance it seems practically impossible that many others didn't know about the parties.

To start with, the ferrying of booze in past the security people and police outside, don't tell the those people didn't talk about it and gossip always gets out.

I'm not really privvy to the layout of things but can the No10 garden bee seen from any of the other government buildings in the vicinity?
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:37 - Sep 19 with 369 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:17 - Sep 19 by SullutaCreturned

Yes so apart from the 30 or so people who were there and the phone vodeo's that got into the public domain, they did an excellent job of security. In fact with that level of brilliance it seems practically impossible that many others didn't know about the parties.

To start with, the ferrying of booze in past the security people and police outside, don't tell the those people didn't talk about it and gossip always gets out.

I'm not really privvy to the layout of things but can the No10 garden bee seen from any of the other government buildings in the vicinity?

“'Im not really privvy to the layout of things but can the No10 garden bee seen from any of the other government buildings in the vicinity?”

It backs on to the horse guards parade and admiralty house but it’ll be monitored via cctv 24/7 from hundreds of different angles.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:39 - Sep 19 with 364 viewsSullutaCreturned

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:37 - Sep 19 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

“'Im not really privvy to the layout of things but can the No10 garden bee seen from any of the other government buildings in the vicinity?”

It backs on to the horse guards parade and admiralty house but it’ll be monitored via cctv 24/7 from hundreds of different angles.

Ergo a lot of people will have known about a few of these parties because gossip always happens.

No wonder the "info" got to the press, they probably have paid informants inside the place.
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 07:58 - Sep 20 with 290 viewsScotia

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 20:17 - Sep 19 by SullutaCreturned

As I understand Sue Gray worked for Michael Gove. That's important becasue of the schism between Gove and the rest of Johnson's staff in number 10 and of course Johnson himself. Gove was Johnson's political assassin and was only in the cabinet because he was the only competent Tory who supported Brexit.

One of the reasons that Gove pulled the trigger on Johnson's leadership is the shambles that the Tories became under him - including things like partygate.

The partygate leak to the Mirror came from "Downing Street" member of staff, potentially a bald one who tests his eyesight by driving to castles. Who may have held a previous role with Sue Gray's then boss and left under a cloud. Plenty more people knew about the parties I suppose, but definitely not the entire Westminster civil service (many of whom would have been working from home anyway) and certainly not those who work for political enemies. The leaks would have been far more numerous and would have become a concrete story much earlier.

There is nothing to suggest that Sue Gray had knowledge of the parties apart from guesswork, it could even be that her investigation led to disillusionment and her job with Starmer.
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 13:00 - Sep 20 with 197 viewsRobbie

Yes Minister that classic TV comedy coming to life these days .
Sir Humphrey running the Country , not Jim Hacker .

The wage for Sue Grey is small fry in relationship to many mega earners , footballers inc.

She found Bojo out too , so good enough for me .
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 13:21 - Sep 20 with 183 viewsAnotherJohn

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 13:00 - Sep 20 by Robbie

Yes Minister that classic TV comedy coming to life these days .
Sir Humphrey running the Country , not Jim Hacker .

The wage for Sue Grey is small fry in relationship to many mega earners , footballers inc.

She found Bojo out too , so good enough for me .

I'm not sure whether you realise that Sue Gray has ceased to be a civil servant, and is now a special advisor (i.e. a political appointment). That is part of what the flap is about,
Login to get fewer ads

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 14:29 - Sep 20 with 151 viewsGwyn737

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 13:21 - Sep 20 by AnotherJohn

I'm not sure whether you realise that Sue Gray has ceased to be a civil servant, and is now a special advisor (i.e. a political appointment). That is part of what the flap is about,

Too right.

This kind of thing had its spark under the Labour Blair government, turbo charged by the Tories and is now being carried on by the new Labour lot.

The big problem behind this is the centralisation of government to Westminster (and the Senedd in Wales). Local Authorities have been stripped back and their roles taken back in house, then because there’s no capacity to deliver them they’ve been pushed back out to massive, inexpert companies like G4S, Sercp, Capita etc and are then run very badly.

I don’t know this but maybe this is why the Senedd is trying to extend.

Back to the OP, yes, number 10 is dysfunctional but it has been for at least 40 years.
Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 17:53 - Sep 20 with 60 viewsSullutaCreturned

Is Number 10 dysfunctional? on 07:58 - Sep 20 by Scotia

As I understand Sue Gray worked for Michael Gove. That's important becasue of the schism between Gove and the rest of Johnson's staff in number 10 and of course Johnson himself. Gove was Johnson's political assassin and was only in the cabinet because he was the only competent Tory who supported Brexit.

One of the reasons that Gove pulled the trigger on Johnson's leadership is the shambles that the Tories became under him - including things like partygate.

The partygate leak to the Mirror came from "Downing Street" member of staff, potentially a bald one who tests his eyesight by driving to castles. Who may have held a previous role with Sue Gray's then boss and left under a cloud. Plenty more people knew about the parties I suppose, but definitely not the entire Westminster civil service (many of whom would have been working from home anyway) and certainly not those who work for political enemies. The leaks would have been far more numerous and would have become a concrete story much earlier.

There is nothing to suggest that Sue Gray had knowledge of the parties apart from guesswork, it could even be that her investigation led to disillusionment and her job with Starmer.

Sorry but you lost me at Gove and competent tory.

Your partygate paragraph is itself guesswork. We don't know who leaked for a certainty nor how many leaked
I never said the entire civil service knew just that plenty of people probably knew, plenty being enough to see the story leaked.

Which leads me to an honest question, how many leaks were there? because unless you know that answer you cannot claim the leaks would have been far more numerous and anyway, we both know that when this story frst came out that Bojo and his government cronies would have been doing their best to suppress it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024