Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time 15:21 - Sep 17 with 610 viewsReslovenSwan1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce8ddeeklxko.amp

No one really wants these games. They are a jolly for the ruling elite and funded by the ratepayers.

Unless it comes to Swansea and a tram line to Mumbles and redevelopment of St Helens part of the deal. Levelling up and all that

Wise sage since Toshack era

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 15:53 - Sep 17 with 573 viewsReslovenSwan1

UK govt and Birmingham council stumped up a cool £1 billion for Birmingham. Time for ratepayers to take charge and put the reigns on the athletics 'luvies' like Seb Coe and his well funded chums.

UK can do sports events. Everything else is beyond us it seems .

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 16:36 - Sep 17 with 530 viewsWhiterockin

Wales has nowhere near the required sports facilities, infrastructure or hotels to host a commonwealth games. I have been to several Commonwealths and Olympics and believe me you don't understand the scale unless you are there.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 17:07 - Sep 17 with 492 viewsWingstandwood

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 16:36 - Sep 17 by Whiterockin

Wales has nowhere near the required sports facilities, infrastructure or hotels to host a commonwealth games. I have been to several Commonwealths and Olympics and believe me you don't understand the scale unless you are there.

I posted on here a while back saying that I would not be surprised in the slightest if those despicable clowns in Cardiff Bay, have intention(s) set upon having a future Commonwealth Games in Cardiff.

The very fact that they were desperate to have an Olympic sized swimming pool raised suspicion that they were paving the way.

A major concern for myself was the prospect of economically partitioned Wales being dragged even deeper into the gutter, because of insane vanity-project expenditure that would starve the rest of (outside of Cardiff) Wales with appalling consequences !

You have given me some comfort knowing that Wales has a lesser chance of winning a bid at this present moment of time!!!!

Argus!

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 17:29 - Sep 17 with 452 viewsWhiterockin

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 17:07 - Sep 17 by Wingstandwood

I posted on here a while back saying that I would not be surprised in the slightest if those despicable clowns in Cardiff Bay, have intention(s) set upon having a future Commonwealth Games in Cardiff.

The very fact that they were desperate to have an Olympic sized swimming pool raised suspicion that they were paving the way.

A major concern for myself was the prospect of economically partitioned Wales being dragged even deeper into the gutter, because of insane vanity-project expenditure that would starve the rest of (outside of Cardiff) Wales with appalling consequences !

You have given me some comfort knowing that Wales has a lesser chance of winning a bid at this present moment of time!!!!

Top quality swimmers need to train in a 50M pool, there is a massive difference between training there and a 25M pool. What we have is fine for small events but a Commonwealths never, we just wouldn't get enough spectators in never mind the broadcasting requirements.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 23:38 - Sep 17 with 337 viewsmajorraglan

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 17:07 - Sep 17 by Wingstandwood

You clearly don’t know a great deal about aquatic sport. As has been said a 50m pool is essential for aspiring swimmers to train in.
The Cardiff pool is the only Olympic size pool in Wales, we also have the 50m pool in Swansea (not Olympic size) but both are miles away from being international or Commonwealth Games standard. If WG were thinking of bringing the CG’s here, we’d have to have a brand new purpose built facility with capacity of around 2,000 spectators which could be increased up to 5,000 for the games. Cardiff has capacity for 1,000 spectators and Swansea for 1,200, but there’s no scope to increase the numbers without bulldozing the existing facilities.

Looking at the other facilities, we also need a new athletics stadium or a major redevelopment at Leckwith which would then become a white elephant. Can’t see it ever happening without Westminster pumping in a couple of billion.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 00:32 - Sep 18 with 319 viewsWingstandwood

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 23:38 - Sep 17 by majorraglan

You clearly don’t know a great deal about aquatic sport. As has been said a 50m pool is essential for aspiring swimmers to train in.
The Cardiff pool is the only Olympic size pool in Wales, we also have the 50m pool in Swansea (not Olympic size) but both are miles away from being international or Commonwealth Games standard. If WG were thinking of bringing the CG’s here, we’d have to have a brand new purpose built facility with capacity of around 2,000 spectators which could be increased up to 5,000 for the games. Cardiff has capacity for 1,000 spectators and Swansea for 1,200, but there’s no scope to increase the numbers without bulldozing the existing facilities.

Looking at the other facilities, we also need a new athletics stadium or a major redevelopment at Leckwith which would then become a white elephant. Can’t see it ever happening without Westminster pumping in a couple of billion.

No scope?

QUOTE: "Chris Jenkins, executive director of the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales, said keeping the costs down is important.

"We've got a lot of venues in Cardiff and around South Wales we can modify and use in any bid," he said.

Tell me does Cardiff have a large swimming pool that is enclosed within a building that has been built with structural steel?

Argus!

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 07:18 - Sep 18 with 266 viewsmajorraglan

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 00:32 - Sep 18 by Wingstandwood

No scope?

QUOTE: "Chris Jenkins, executive director of the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales, said keeping the costs down is important.

"We've got a lot of venues in Cardiff and around South Wales we can modify and use in any bid," he said.

Tell me does Cardiff have a large swimming pool that is enclosed within a building that has been built with structural steel?

He can say what he likes, but I’ve been involved in aquatic sports for 17 years and can tell you that the Cardiff pool isn’t up to hosting a major event like that without a complete rebuild.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 07:33 - Sep 18 with 261 viewsmajorraglan

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 00:32 - Sep 18 by Wingstandwood

No scope?

He can say what he likes, but I’ve been involved in aquatic sports for 17 years and can tell you that the Cardiff pool isn’t up to hosting a major event like that without a complete rebuild.
Login to get fewer ads

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 07:53 - Sep 18 with 255 viewsScotia

WG have previously undertaken a feasibility study for a bid for the games which ruled out a bid in the short term.

I believe the games are funded by at least an 80% contribution from Westminster, more for Glasgow 26. The amount of money that WG wastes on things like a Cardiff tram may well be better spent improving sporting facilities across a wider area.

I know that WG wanted the Swansea arena to be far larger (and contribute towards the cost) to host large sporting events but Swansea Council refused.

That's not to say the game are economically viable at all in the long term though.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 08:14 - Sep 18 with 242 viewsDr_Winston

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 07:53 - Sep 18 by Scotia

WG have previously undertaken a feasibility study for a bid for the games which ruled out a bid in the short term.

I believe the games are funded by at least an 80% contribution from Westminster, more for Glasgow 26. The amount of money that WG wastes on things like a Cardiff tram may well be better spent improving sporting facilities across a wider area.

I know that WG wanted the Swansea arena to be far larger (and contribute towards the cost) to host large sporting events but Swansea Council refused.

That's not to say the game are economically viable at all in the long term though.

Swansea Arena could possibly have been bigger (and y'know, an actual arena instead of just a big theatre) but they wouldn't have been able to put it where it is.

Always made more sense to me in the long run to have redeveloped the Civic Centre site for it. Loads more room.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 08:33 - Sep 18 with 235 viewsWhiterockin

On of the biggest problems would be we don't have enough hotel rooms in SE Wales to accommodate visitors and officials, the athletes could use student villages. Before anyone says Bristol is only 40 miles away, have they ever travelled when there is a big event in Cardiff. The infrastructure in SE Wales is just not good enough to support a games.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 09:02 - Sep 18 with 209 viewsScotia

I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 08:14 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

Swansea Arena could possibly have been bigger (and y'know, an actual arena instead of just a big theatre) but they wouldn't have been able to put it where it is.

Always made more sense to me in the long run to have redeveloped the Civic Centre site for it. Loads more room.

The suggestion was to turn it 90 degrees and it take the place of the car park - WG were happy to provide funding and increase the size of the car park on the opposite side of the road that hasn't been finished.

Swansea turned it down, I'm in two minds if that was a goood or bad idea.

Swansea Council think the Civic Centre site is prime real estate for a very expensive hotel, unfirtunately there's been no interest in it.
I hope the WAG is not strong armed to take this waste of time on 11:13 - Sep 19 with 54 viewsReslovenSwan1

There is a logic that one off events need fans. New thinking is required to keep cost down. An out door pool with temporary stands or big screen viewing areas.

A 5000 hall for one event is bonkers. Built a temporary fans zone.

All future games should not be allowed in the capital and centre of government.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024