Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Assisted dying legislation 09:23 - Sep 13 with 754 viewsonehunglow

Quite an emotive subject
IOM could be the first part of the British Isles to introduce this

Is it a subject we could debate ?

If not,Mods,simply delete as I don’t want to upset anyone

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Assisted dying legislation on 15:47 - Sep 13 with 687 viewsSullutaCreturned

While there obviously have to be be strict safeguards, checks and balances, I am all in favour of it.

When you have watched a loved one die a long, slow, agonising death. When you have heard them screaming in agony and begging for the pain to end and when they have stated that if they had the choce they would end it, what can you say?

I watched my sister suffer an awful 10 months, a time that when it ended was a blessed relief for her AND for the rest of us who loved her. We don't let our pets suffer, we call it a mercy when we have them put to sleep to end their suffering but then we make people carry on living even when they are begging for mercy, for the blessed release of death.
Assisted dying legislation on 16:04 - Sep 13 with 662 views3swan

Assisted dying legislation on 15:47 - Sep 13 by SullutaCreturned

While there obviously have to be be strict safeguards, checks and balances, I am all in favour of it.

When you have watched a loved one die a long, slow, agonising death. When you have heard them screaming in agony and begging for the pain to end and when they have stated that if they had the choce they would end it, what can you say?

I watched my sister suffer an awful 10 months, a time that when it ended was a blessed relief for her AND for the rest of us who loved her. We don't let our pets suffer, we call it a mercy when we have them put to sleep to end their suffering but then we make people carry on living even when they are begging for mercy, for the blessed release of death.

As you say it's all about safeguards etc, and I recognize it's a very emotive subject and sorry to read your post.

In saying that I fully agree with you. When I've had this type of conversation over many rears my thoughts are that there should be some sort of system in place, that your views in your 20's 30's 40's etc can be documented.
I know not perfect but it would give an indication of your intentions if the time came.
Views can change but to put it very bluntly no Government own me and my body..
Assisted dying legislation on 16:22 - Sep 13 with 635 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

We treat dogs better than we treat humans in this respect.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Assisted dying legislation on 16:29 - Sep 13 with 628 views3swan

Assisted dying legislation on 16:22 - Sep 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It is a subject that needs a full discussion without arguments and lines drawn in the sand. I accept that religion will be a deciding factor for some, but everything should be discussed with an open mind.

I have had family members suffer and also others with dementia. I don't wish me to have to put my family through that in the time before my death.

Dignity in death.
Assisted dying legislation on 16:38 - Sep 13 with 612 viewsSullutaCreturned

Assisted dying legislation on 16:29 - Sep 13 by 3swan

It is a subject that needs a full discussion without arguments and lines drawn in the sand. I accept that religion will be a deciding factor for some, but everything should be discussed with an open mind.

I have had family members suffer and also others with dementia. I don't wish me to have to put my family through that in the time before my death.

Dignity in death.

Whatever the deciding factor is, ultimately only the person who is ill should make the decision about ending their own life, it has to be the individuals choice and has to be a highly monitored process.

I know, because she told me, that watching us suffering as we watched her suffer hurt her (emotionally) as much as the physical pain.
I am also not ashamed to admit that in the end it broke me and I had to take over a month off work.

Tomorrow is a year to the day of her funeral and I am still working through it all. I'm told that experts say it can take 3 years to process it all and recover. One down, 2 to go then.
Assisted dying legislation on 16:45 - Sep 13 with 607 views3swan

Assisted dying legislation on 16:38 - Sep 13 by SullutaCreturned

Whatever the deciding factor is, ultimately only the person who is ill should make the decision about ending their own life, it has to be the individuals choice and has to be a highly monitored process.

I know, because she told me, that watching us suffering as we watched her suffer hurt her (emotionally) as much as the physical pain.
I am also not ashamed to admit that in the end it broke me and I had to take over a month off work.

Tomorrow is a year to the day of her funeral and I am still working through it all. I'm told that experts say it can take 3 years to process it all and recover. One down, 2 to go then.

No shame at all its what being human is all about. It has brought a lump to my throat..
It has to be the individuals choice, but that choice should not be governed by the feelings of others.
I wish I had the answer that no-one is coerced, but that's not a reason why the first stage of a process can't be started.
Assisted dying legislation on 16:49 - Sep 13 with 603 viewsSullutaCreturned

Assisted dying legislation on 16:45 - Sep 13 by 3swan

No shame at all its what being human is all about. It has brought a lump to my throat..
It has to be the individuals choice, but that choice should not be governed by the feelings of others.
I wish I had the answer that no-one is coerced, but that's not a reason why the first stage of a process can't be started.

I think that there has to be a law that coercing someone into asissted dying gets a minimum jail term and any inheritance gained gets taken away and given to a cancer charity.

I think the deterrent has to be powerful because greedy people will try to gain from others suffering.
Assisted dying legislation on 17:03 - Sep 13 with 595 views3swan

Assisted dying legislation on 16:49 - Sep 13 by SullutaCreturned

I think that there has to be a law that coercing someone into asissted dying gets a minimum jail term and any inheritance gained gets taken away and given to a cancer charity.

I think the deterrent has to be powerful because greedy people will try to gain from others suffering.

100%

Shame is we know that whatever the failsafe put in place some will still try and take advantage..
Login to get fewer ads

Assisted dying legislation on 17:48 - Sep 13 with 559 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Assisted dying legislation on 17:03 - Sep 13 by 3swan

100%

Shame is we know that whatever the failsafe put in place some will still try and take advantage..

I know a few carers and there’s quite a few instances where they don’t even meet the relatives until the patient dies then they’re there like a shot rooting around for the jewellery like a f*cking magpie even unscrewing the tvs off the walls.

Assisted dying legislation on 18:30 - Sep 13 with 529 viewsmajorraglan

I think it’s definitely something that needs serious consideration. People who are terminally ill, or suffering from serious illness should in my opinion have the right to determine their own destiny. A number of countries have introduced assisted dying legislation and we could look at their models and take best practice from wherever it exists.

I’d introduce safeguards and make sure than anyone who is contemplating this would have to be seen by professionals (doctors, psychiatrists, social workers etc) in private so they can’t be railroaded in to an early grave by greedy family members.
Assisted dying legislation on 18:43 - Sep 13 with 520 views3swan

Assisted dying legislation on 17:48 - Sep 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I know a few carers and there’s quite a few instances where they don’t even meet the relatives until the patient dies then they’re there like a shot rooting around for the jewellery like a f*cking magpie even unscrewing the tvs off the walls.

Society can be sick at times.

Thankfully there are more caring people than those low lifes.
Assisted dying legislation on 20:00 - Sep 13 with 490 viewsScotia

Assisted dying legislation on 17:48 - Sep 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

My wife actually witnessed a son emptying his very, very recently deceased mothers clothes in to black bags and taking them to the "35p a kilo" clothes weighing in place before the funeral director had turned up.
Assisted dying legislation on 21:42 - Sep 13 with 451 viewsBoundy

Assisted dying legislation on 20:00 - Sep 13 by Scotia

My wife actually witnessed a son emptying his very, very recently deceased mothers clothes in to black bags and taking them to the "35p a kilo" clothes weighing in place before the funeral director had turned up.

Doctors can and have already carried out assisted dying, certainly not in an official capacity but never less have helped ease the pain and help speed the process not that would ever be admitted.Im all for it ,as someone posted animals are treated more humanly than sometimes humans.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Assisted dying legislation on 22:07 - Sep 13 with 442 viewsScotia

I know someone who made the trip to dignitas in Switzerland.

She shouldn't have had to do that.

There must be a way to allow this to happen in the UK, a living will with full legal scrutiny or something similar.

If I get diagnosed with a terminal illness I do not want to suffer. That's my choice. I don't believe in a god and don't think anyone who does should impact my life, so let me go on my own terms, surely it's nobodies right to say otherwise.

It could clearly be taken advantage of in the latter stages but if that wish is expressed by somebody with full mental capacity I don't think anyone could argue?
Assisted dying legislation on 01:21 - Sep 14 with 358 viewsmangohilljack

Dogs are much more deserving than a lot of humans and that is a fact
Assisted dying legislation on 01:25 - Sep 14 with 357 viewsmangohilljack

Assisted dying legislation on 21:42 - Sep 13 by Boundy

Doctors can and have already carried out assisted dying, certainly not in an official capacity but never less have helped ease the pain and help speed the process not that would ever be admitted.Im all for it ,as someone posted animals are treated more humanly than sometimes humans.

And so they should be in many instances
Assisted dying legislation on 12:33 - Sep 15 with 230 viewsmax936

Said that when my dear Mam was suffering it was unbelievable cruelty, they didn't even put her on a driver which would have been halfway to a humane ending.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Assisted dying legislation on 13:58 - Sep 15 with 202 viewsDr_Winston

Assisted dying legislation on 21:42 - Sep 13 by Boundy

George V was "eased off" so his death could be reported in the Times instead of one of the evening papers.
[Post edited 15 Sep 13:59]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Assisted dying legislation on 14:53 - Sep 15 with 151 viewsonehunglow

Religion is the single most significant factor here
Only a God gfivdsxand takes life
Man should not interfere
It’s not something I can discuss dispassionately really

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Assisted dying legislation on 15:01 - Sep 15 with 145 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Assisted dying legislation on 13:58 - Sep 15 by Dr_Winston

George V was "eased off" so his death could be reported in the Times instead of one of the evening papers.
[Post edited 15 Sep 13:59]

Can probably add George VI and Elizabeth II to that list.

Assisted dying legislation on 15:08 - Sep 15 with 138 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Assisted dying legislation on 14:53 - Sep 15 by onehunglow

Religion is the single most significant factor here
Only a God gfivdsxand takes life
Man should not interfere
It’s not something I can discuss dispassionately really

I don’t think it is the single factor in this instance. Of course the religious nut jobs will be against it but I think the main reason we don’t do it yet is because it’s a legal minefield with finances and estates and inheritance etc.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024