Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tata and the new UK steel strategy 12:56 - Sep 11 with 561 viewsAnotherJohn

The statement just made today in Parliament is the first encouraging development I have seen under the new government. The big plus is that, in addition to an improved redundancy package, there will be an intention to bring back some UK primary steel production to complement the planned electric arc furnaces at Port Talbot and Scunthorpe. I suppose the downside is that the Tata deal does not postpone the closure of the existing blast furnaces, does not reduce the number of lost jobs significantly, and does not push Tata to add a DRI front end to the EAF in the short term. It was a bit rich for the Shadow Business Minister to criticise Labour for this when so little progress had been made by the last government. I will wait with interest to see what those with greater knowledge than me of the plant think.
[Post edited 11 Sep 13:02]
Tata and the new UK steel strategy on 16:58 - Sep 11 with 466 viewsswan65split

i've not heard any statement or read anything as yet, but my opinion is that no new furnace will be built, i think inthe end TaTa will concentrate on their own furnaces, if something is built itll just be a token gesture.

As a country we've been screwed over 30 40 yrs of all our industry/services.
Tata and the new UK steel strategy on 22:04 - Sep 11 with 374 viewsLuther27

I am totally confused over the whole situation. Westminster and the Senedd have pointed out that Port Talbot steelworks was one of the highest polluters in the UK and in the drive for net zero something has to be done about it. So we shut down the local coal supply and imported coal from Australia.
TATA then claimed they were losing £1 million a day in PT a day and something had to be done. TATA are a private business and under pressure from everywhere to become a greener company they’ve in effect thrown the towel in…get as much subsidy from the tax payer and maybe do us a favour in staying for a while longer.
In the mean time Westminster Labour blame the last Govt for the poor deal left on the table by them and they tried their best but hey ho. Meanwhile the Senedd have ducked below the parapet as Drakeford and later Gething got their knickers in a twist over their Green image…but still want the steelworkers votes.
What will the outcome be? Well we’ve seen the results when BP shut down Llandarcy and Baglan refineries. When Fords shut in Swansea and later in Bridgend. Politicians will expel a lot of hot air and nothing but nothing will be done to alleviate the suffering of the local communities.
Rant over and apologies for boring you all.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Tata and the new UK steel strategy on 22:32 - Sep 11 with 324 viewsWingstandwood

Tata and the new UK steel strategy on 22:04 - Sep 11 by Luther27

I am totally confused over the whole situation. Westminster and the Senedd have pointed out that Port Talbot steelworks was one of the highest polluters in the UK and in the drive for net zero something has to be done about it. So we shut down the local coal supply and imported coal from Australia.
TATA then claimed they were losing £1 million a day in PT a day and something had to be done. TATA are a private business and under pressure from everywhere to become a greener company they’ve in effect thrown the towel in…get as much subsidy from the tax payer and maybe do us a favour in staying for a while longer.
In the mean time Westminster Labour blame the last Govt for the poor deal left on the table by them and they tried their best but hey ho. Meanwhile the Senedd have ducked below the parapet as Drakeford and later Gething got their knickers in a twist over their Green image…but still want the steelworkers votes.
What will the outcome be? Well we’ve seen the results when BP shut down Llandarcy and Baglan refineries. When Fords shut in Swansea and later in Bridgend. Politicians will expel a lot of hot air and nothing but nothing will be done to alleviate the suffering of the local communities.
Rant over and apologies for boring you all.

You are talking about the loss of once secure well paid jobs that were (and will) never ever be replaced with jobs offering equal pay!

And you're right about "a lot of hot air" which is a load of the usual cliché-bluff and goverment PR mentioning "support packages" and "government assistance", that amounts to intelligence insulting nothingness.

A case of the complete and total opposite of economic rebuilding and job creation to replace what has been lost.

A case of job search assistance and CV writing tutorial to compete for part time, or insecure employment contracts to earn a poverty pay wage that’s a fraction of what was earned once before! And all in a world where agency employers often dictate the "going rate".
[Post edited 11 Sep 23:03]

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024