Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The rising costs 20:51 - Sep 9 with 2457 viewsSullutaCreturned

No it's not about Labours first budget though we all (ok most of us) think taxes will rise somewhere.
No, this is an EU thread, sorry!

It's been said that they need more money,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4gq1e7k2j8o

And we all know where that money comes from, the members will have to stump up around 25-29 billion more each every year if Draghi gets what he wants.

Now growth is down and the situation is described as challenging, finances are stretched across the EU membership and Draghi says the EU needs more money.

https://economy-finance.ec.europa.eu/economic-forecast-and-surveys/economic-fore

There's stil a war on the continent, there been mass protests about a range of things including immigration and it seems to me that remaining in the EU may really not have meant living the dream, more an expensive albatross who continues to grow and weigh down economies.

We'll see in the long term if the EU grows and prospers and of course what happens with us but I think its a simple sad fact that politicians across the globe re ruining the world for us ordinary folk.
The rising costs on 08:40 - Sep 11 with 770 viewsSullutaCreturned

The rising costs on 08:37 - Sep 11 by onehunglow

We ain’t seen nothing yet
When he gets rid of free prescriptions might see the time Labour MPs find some courage

Wales will still have free scripts
The rising costs on 09:18 - Sep 11 with 740 viewsDr_Winston

Free prescriptions are another thing that should be means tested, albeit at a more sensible level than the WFA has been.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The rising costs on 09:23 - Sep 11 with 729 viewsLuther27

The rising costs on 09:18 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Free prescriptions are another thing that should be means tested, albeit at a more sensible level than the WFA has been.

Personally I believe the sick and elderly shouldn’t have to worry if they can afford a prescription. If Govt spent our money wisely then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

The rising costs on 09:41 - Sep 11 with 714 viewsDr_Winston

The rising costs on 09:23 - Sep 11 by Luther27

Personally I believe the sick and elderly shouldn’t have to worry if they can afford a prescription. If Govt spent our money wisely then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Personally I believe that there are plenty of sick and elderly people out there who can comfortably afford both their pills and central heating.

What we should be doing is targeting support at those who need it, not universally.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The rising costs on 09:51 - Sep 11 with 700 viewsLuther27

The rising costs on 09:41 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Personally I believe that there are plenty of sick and elderly people out there who can comfortably afford both their pills and central heating.

What we should be doing is targeting support at those who need it, not universally.

To expensive to means test everyone. At least that was the reason behind universal child allowance. Govt reduced it to a max of two children instead.
No…I believe free health care is for everyone. It was the founding principle of the NHS. Over the years we seem to have to pay more and more. Perhaps we are at the point where our taxes should be reduced to account for this.

The rising costs on 09:53 - Sep 11 with 693 viewsDr_Winston

The rising costs on 09:51 - Sep 11 by Luther27

To expensive to means test everyone. At least that was the reason behind universal child allowance. Govt reduced it to a max of two children instead.
No…I believe free health care is for everyone. It was the founding principle of the NHS. Over the years we seem to have to pay more and more. Perhaps we are at the point where our taxes should be reduced to account for this.

Free healthcare for everyone may have been a founding principle of the NHS, but what worked 80 years ago doesn't work now.

The Government can't pay for everything. Nor should it be expected to.

The rising costs on 10:00 - Sep 11 with 684 viewsLuther27

The rising costs on 09:53 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Free healthcare for everyone may have been a founding principle of the NHS, but what worked 80 years ago doesn't work now.

The Govt don’t pay a penny Doc…we do. The Govt mismanage how they spend it.
On this subject let’s agree to disagree.

The rising costs on 10:07 - Sep 11 with 681 viewsonehunglow

The rising costs on 08:40 - Sep 11 by SullutaCreturned

Wales will still have free scripts

I’m hoping I will be floating in the dust bowl in the sky before they introduce this
This is not the way to fill a black hole

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

The rising costs on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 670 viewsDr_Winston

The rising costs on 10:00 - Sep 11 by Luther27

The Govt don’t pay a penny Doc…we do. The Govt mismanage how they spend it.
On this subject let’s agree to disagree.

I certainly don't disagree about how wasteful government spending is. Definitely NHS spending.

The rising costs on 13:22 - Sep 11 with 617 viewsWhiterockin

The rising costs on 08:37 - Sep 11 by onehunglow

We ain’t seen nothing yet
When he gets rid of free prescriptions might see the time Labour MPs find some courage

Don't the Senedd decide on free prescriptions in Wales.
The rising costs on 13:50 - Sep 11 with 597 viewsAnotherJohn

The rising costs on 13:22 - Sep 11 by Whiterockin

Yes, health is a devolved area. Each of the home countries has had a slightly different policy on prescriptions.

England: From August 2024, the prescription charge is £9.90 per item. There are exemptions for some medical conditions, higher education, pregnancy, and maternity.
Wales: Prescription charges were abolished in 2007.
Northern Ireland: Prescription charges were abolished in 2010.
Scotland: Prescription charges were abolished in 2011.

Interestingly, there is at least one aspect of drug policy that is a reserved matter - safeguarding the UK supply of pharmaceutical products. It is also the case that NHS England generally takes the lead in price negotiations with the drug companies. and that, for example, the Voluntary Price Agreement Scheme (VPAS) for branded drugs between the NHSs and the companies is a UK-wide scheme.
The rising costs on 14:01 - Sep 11 with 588 viewsBoundy

The rising costs on 09:53 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Nor should it waste extraordinary amounts of taxpayers money without recourse or responsibility but it does.Id rather see it "wasted" on our own than for example foreign aid being sent to India or China

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The rising costs on 14:11 - Sep 11 with 585 viewsScotia

The rising costs on 13:22 - Sep 11 by Whiterockin

They do. They also decided to give every primary school child free school lunches. The tax payer in Wales buys my daughter a two course lunch every day that shes in school.

It's nuts.

One thing I would say is that was a Drakeford decision, I can't see it being changed becasue the school kitchens have spent thousands being upgraded. But Starmer wouldn't introduce soemthing like that I don't think.
The rising costs on 22:41 - Sep 11 with 493 viewsmajorraglan

The rising costs on 14:11 - Sep 11 by Scotia

They do. They also decided to give every primary school child free school lunches. The tax payer in Wales buys my daughter a two course lunch every day that shes in school.

It's nuts.

One thing I would say is that was a Drakeford decision, I can't see it being changed becasue the school kitchens have spent thousands being upgraded. But Starmer wouldn't introduce soemthing like that I don't think.

I was talking to the manager of a food bank last week, he too£ me they’d been undated over the summer and were feeding around 40% more families than in term time. He attributed the increase to the cut in free school meals outside term time.

To be honest, I find it incredulous that we stopped providing meals etc to the kids who need outside term time because we don’t have the money but we can give every child regardless of their circumstances a meal during term time, we can also afford to waste £30m plus on extra AM’s. It’s mental.

The money on the additional term time meals could have been redirected to food banks so that they could supply those in need with additional resources. It wouldn’t have taken Einstein to pull together a list of the kids on free school meals and make arrangements for them to get a food parcel to feed the kids.
The rising costs on 06:50 - Sep 12 with 422 viewsDr_Winston

The rising costs on 22:41 - Sep 11 by majorraglan

I was talking to the manager of a food bank last week, he too£ me they’d been undated over the summer and were feeding around 40% more families than in term time. He attributed the increase to the cut in free school meals outside term time.

To be honest, I find it incredulous that we stopped providing meals etc to the kids who need outside term time because we don’t have the money but we can give every child regardless of their circumstances a meal during term time, we can also afford to waste £30m plus on extra AM’s. It’s mental.

The money on the additional term time meals could have been redirected to food banks so that they could supply those in need with additional resources. It wouldn’t have taken Einstein to pull together a list of the kids on free school meals and make arrangements for them to get a food parcel to feed the kids.

I would be curious to know what these parents did before free school meals.

The rising costs on 07:10 - Sep 12 with 421 viewsGwyn737

The rising costs on 06:50 - Sep 12 by Dr_Winston

I would be curious to know what these parents did before free school meals.

I’m not for universal free school meals.

For what it’s worth, I think England has got it right with free meals for Reception and Infant children. It has the added benefit of children learning to eat together (with a knife and fork), without a screen, having a pretty healthy meal and clearing up after themselves.

I understand many will say that’s the parent’s job at home but some won’t.
The rising costs on 07:29 - Sep 12 with 414 viewsDr_Winston

The rising costs on 07:10 - Sep 12 by Gwyn737

For what it’s worth, I think England has got it right with free meals for Reception and Infant children. It has the added benefit of children learning to eat together (with a knife and fork), without a screen, having a pretty healthy meal and clearing up after themselves.

The problem is that when people are used to getting stuff for free, when the supply of free stuff stops they're lost. You can foster dependency.

Teaching your kids how to eat properly with a knife and fork is absolutely a parents job, but unfortunately there are far too many people out there who can barely look after themselves, never mind their kids.

The rising costs on 10:03 - Sep 12 with 371 viewscontroversial_jack

The rising costs on 14:11 - Sep 11 by Scotia

It's nuts.

I believe Plaid Cymru pressurized Labour into doing that, something they will claim credit of for years
The rising costs on 02:09 - Sep 13 with 286 viewsRobbie

Sad to say from my first hand experience the children after school time rush to the sweets aisle and pay more than £2 for a bar of chocolate and some crisps , schools meals that bad I doubt it as a alternative .

Loved my School Dinners and the lovely dinner ladies , get in the queue now please .

Think the microwave and quick fix eating habits are the way forward now .

I do use the microwave too , it is a handy bit of kit .
The rising costs on 11:58 - Sep 13 with 211 viewscontroversial_jack

The rising costs on 02:09 - Sep 13 by Robbie

Sad to say from my first hand experience the children after school time rush to the sweets aisle and pay more than £2 for a bar of chocolate and some crisps , schools meals that bad I doubt it as a alternative .

Loved my School Dinners and the lovely dinner ladies , get in the queue now please .

Think the microwave and quick fix eating habits are the way forward now .

I do use the microwave too , it is a handy bit of kit .

My school dinners in primary school during the 60s were horrendous - a dog would have struggled to eat them. We had tuck shops too, where we could buy sweets, crisps and other rubbish, so nothing has changed

Maybe we should do what some countries in Europe do, start earlier and finish earlier, so there's no need to provide school dinners with maybe a breakfast club instead that provides substantial breakfasts. Do children really learn after a big lunch? I know at work i used to feel sleepy and lethargic after a big lunch
The rising costs on 12:39 - Sep 13 with 193 viewsonehunglow

The rising costs on 11:58 - Sep 13 by controversial_jack

My school dinners in primary school during the 60s were horrendous - a dog would have struggled to eat them. We had tuck shops too, where we could buy sweets, crisps and other rubbish, so nothing has changed

Maybe we should do what some countries in Europe do, start earlier and finish earlier, so there's no need to provide school dinners with maybe a breakfast club instead that provides substantial breakfasts. Do children really learn after a big lunch? I know at work i used to feel sleepy and lethargic after a big lunch

Have to say I agree with that
I biked it home firvlinch ,woofed it down,then biked it back in time to be thrashed again

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The rising costs on 16:00 - Sep 13 with 143 viewsSullutaCreturned

The rising costs on 07:10 - Sep 12 by Gwyn737

I'm not in favour of any kind of benefit being universal. State aid, the welfare state, whatever you want to call it should be there for those who really need it. Giving free stuff to people who can afford to pay is wrong, it's a waste of public money at a time when public finances are badly overstretched.

In fact I would say it's sheer lunacy.
The rising costs on 16:49 - Sep 13 with 127 viewsunion_jack

The rising costs on 16:00 - Sep 13 by SullutaCreturned

I'm not in favour of any kind of benefit being universal. State aid, the welfare state, whatever you want to call it should be there for those who really need it. Giving free stuff to people who can afford to pay is wrong, it's a waste of public money at a time when public finances are badly overstretched.

In fact I would say it's sheer lunacy.

But what if the cost of administering a ‘on a needs only’ scheme outweighs the cost of providing universal assistance?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The rising costs on 16:54 - Sep 13 with 123 viewsSullutaCreturned

The rising costs on 16:49 - Sep 13 by union_jack

But what if the cost of administering a ‘on a needs only’ scheme outweighs the cost of providing universal assistance?

Why should that be the case? If the parent has to provide evidence of being on benefits to the school before they can claim free meals, why should it be more expensive than giving free meals to every child?
The rising costs on 17:08 - Sep 13 with 116 viewscontroversial_jack

The rising costs on 12:39 - Sep 13 by onehunglow

Have to say I agree with that
I biked it home firvlinch ,woofed it down,then biked it back in time to be thrashed again

Steady on, that's twice you have agreed with me today. There's hope for you yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024