Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new system for electing Senedd members 06:26 - Sep 3 with 2068 viewsWhiterockin

Is this going to see the end of independent members and ensuring that only the major parties have AM's?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c05jvl65meno
The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:12 - Sep 3 with 1645 viewsScotia

In theory it means there should be more minority representation. It's not ideal and the constituency sizes are nuts.

No vote will be wasted which is a good thing but you're voting for a party not a person. Technically we do that now but in practice it doesn't happen. Basicaly the party leaders decide who their first choice Senedd members are rather than the people.

All things considered it may be better than the current system but it relies on people voting. It'll certainly benefit reform unless people realise they are charlatans over the next couple of years.

We definitely don't need any more Senedd members though.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:16 - Sep 3 with 1644 viewsAnotherJohn

The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:12 - Sep 3 by Scotia

In theory it means there should be more minority representation. It's not ideal and the constituency sizes are nuts.

No vote will be wasted which is a good thing but you're voting for a party not a person. Technically we do that now but in practice it doesn't happen. Basicaly the party leaders decide who their first choice Senedd members are rather than the people.

All things considered it may be better than the current system but it relies on people voting. It'll certainly benefit reform unless people realise they are charlatans over the next couple of years.

We definitely don't need any more Senedd members though.

You are hinting at the likelihood that there may be unpredictable or unintended consequences, and I think that is correct. Personally though I like the idea of being able to vote for a named person. Agree that the numbers of MSs are large enough already.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 09:34 - Sep 3 with 1619 viewsLuther27

The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:16 - Sep 3 by AnotherJohn

You are hinting at the likelihood that there may be unpredictable or unintended consequences, and I think that is correct. Personally though I like the idea of being able to vote for a named person. Agree that the numbers of MSs are large enough already.

It’s an absolute mess of a system designed to bamboozle the electorate. A waste of public money in a time where pensioners are potentially at risk this winter.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

The new system for electing Senedd members on 11:06 - Sep 3 with 1578 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 09:34 - Sep 3 by Luther27

It’s an absolute mess of a system designed to bamboozle the electorate. A waste of public money in a time where pensioners are potentially at risk this winter.

There several AM's who are currently independent, how would you vote to re elect one if you can only vote for a party. I am not sure I understand the system.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 12:03 - Sep 3 with 1540 viewsLuther27

The new system for electing Senedd members on 11:06 - Sep 3 by Whiterockin

There several AM's who are currently independent, how would you vote to re elect one if you can only vote for a party. I am not sure I understand the system.

I’m sure you’re not the only one. I’m in your camp as well. How did we get to this? As far as I’m concerned Democracy in Wales has been booted into touch by this lot.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

The new system for electing Senedd members on 12:45 - Sep 3 with 1496 viewsraynor94

Just second rate politicians feathering their own nest

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The new system for electing Senedd members on 13:27 - Sep 3 with 1455 viewsScotia

The new system for electing Senedd members on 11:06 - Sep 3 by Whiterockin

Anyone can stand in a constituency and will be elected if they get enough votes. Whether they represent a party or not.

Basically any party will nominate a number of candidates in each constituency and rank them in order of who will get elected. I'm not sure if that bit is made public? Similar to the regional MS's now.

The only current MS who is independent is Rhys Ab Owen who was ditched by Plaid for being a sex pest. He still gets paid though.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:28 - Sep 4 with 1297 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The new system for electing Senedd members on 13:27 - Sep 3 by Scotia

Anyone can stand in a constituency and will be elected if they get enough votes. Whether they represent a party or not.

Basically any party will nominate a number of candidates in each constituency and rank them in order of who will get elected. I'm not sure if that bit is made public? Similar to the regional MS's now.

The only current MS who is independent is Rhys Ab Owen who was ditched by Plaid for being a sex pest. He still gets paid though.

16 constituencies announced today by pairing two neighbouring Westminster constituencies.

No individual names will appear on the ballot paper just party names.

There will be 16 constituencies each electing 6 Senedd members based on proportion representation. Not sure if you get one vote per constituencies or 6 votes.

Based on the 2024 general election results applied across the whole of Wales using proportional representation the result might be

Labour 36 seats 37% of votes
Conservatives 18 seats 18.2%
Reform 16 seats 16.9%
Pc 14 seats 14.8%
Liberals 6 seats 6.5%
Greens 5 seats 4.7%
That makes 95 seats not sure who might get the 96th seat

With 16 constituencies one Member will be elected for every 16.66% of the vote each party gains.

It will be interesting to see the turnout compared to the 46% in the last Senedd election as you can no longer vote for individuals.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:06 - Sep 4 with 1256 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:28 - Sep 4 by felixstowe_jack

16 constituencies announced today by pairing two neighbouring Westminster constituencies.

No individual names will appear on the ballot paper just party names.

There will be 16 constituencies each electing 6 Senedd members based on proportion representation. Not sure if you get one vote per constituencies or 6 votes.

Based on the 2024 general election results applied across the whole of Wales using proportional representation the result might be

Labour 36 seats 37% of votes
Conservatives 18 seats 18.2%
Reform 16 seats 16.9%
Pc 14 seats 14.8%
Liberals 6 seats 6.5%
Greens 5 seats 4.7%
That makes 95 seats not sure who might get the 96th seat

With 16 constituencies one Member will be elected for every 16.66% of the vote each party gains.

It will be interesting to see the turnout compared to the 46% in the last Senedd election as you can no longer vote for individuals.

If no individual names will be allowed on the ballot paper ony parties, how can you vote for an independent.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:18 - Sep 4 with 1230 viewsScotia

The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:06 - Sep 4 by Whiterockin

If no individual names will be allowed on the ballot paper ony parties, how can you vote for an independent.

They'd in effect be their own party. The ballot paper would show something like:-

Labour
Reform
Plaid
Conservative
Liberal
Whiterockin - independent

As I understand nobody is going to stop anyone from standing - but the political parties decide who gets elected depending on the number of votes that party gets.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:28 - Sep 4 with 1213 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:18 - Sep 4 by Scotia

They'd in effect be their own party. The ballot paper would show something like:-

Labour
Reform
Plaid
Conservative
Liberal

As I understand nobody is going to stop anyone from standing - but the political parties decide who gets elected depending on the number of votes that party gets.

Nobody would vote for me but I see what you mean. There is no way I will vote Conservative or Labour in the Senedd elections and Plaid would need to change their stance on independence. So it's either Reform or an independent if the independent puts forward decent proposals.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 11:56 - Sep 4 with 1148 viewsunion_jack

The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:28 - Sep 4 by Whiterockin

Nobody would vote for me but I see what you mean. There is no way I will vote Conservative or Labour in the Senedd elections and Plaid would need to change their stance on independence. So it's either Reform or an independent if the independent puts forward decent proposals.

If PC change their stance in independence, it will be no more than a ruse to get more people to vote for them and claim that more people want independence.

I note the SNP have just stuck the ‘I’ word on the back burner but don’t tell me they won’t use any increase in numbers to fuel an argument for it in the future.

Devious, unscrupulous lot that they are!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The new system for electing Senedd members on 18:02 - Sep 4 with 1103 viewsSullutaCreturned

The new system for electing Senedd members on 10:18 - Sep 4 by Scotia

Labour
Reform
Plaid
Conservative
Liberal

The way I read it when it was first mooted was that you'd vote for the party and then the party would decide who got that seat.

When this first came out people were saying it was a hammer blow to democracy in Wales and was designed to guarantee Welsh Labour power. I dont know the truth in that but it certainly isn't democratic to myself to not be able to vote for the person.

PS, any change in the voting system should be voted on, we should have had a referendum on this.
[Post edited 4 Sep 18:03]
The new system for electing Senedd members on 19:42 - Sep 4 with 1038 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The new system for electing Senedd members on 18:02 - Sep 4 by SullutaCreturned

The way I read it when it was first mooted was that you'd vote for the party and then the party would decide who got that seat.

When this first came out people were saying it was a hammer blow to democracy in Wales and was designed to guarantee Welsh Labour power. I dont know the truth in that but it certainly isn't democratic to myself to not be able to vote for the person.

PS, any change in the voting system should be voted on, we should have had a referendum on this.

There was a referendum in the UK in 2011 to change from first past the post to propotional representation. It was overwhelming rejected by 66% to 33%.

Seems Welsh Labour have chosen to ignore this and not to run a referendum on the new voting system in Wales
Either they know their proposals would fail or they don't trust the Welsh electorate to make the right decision.

They have just abolished democracy in the Senedd.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The new system for electing Senedd members on 20:37 - Sep 4 with 1010 viewsScotia

The new system for electing Senedd members on 18:02 - Sep 4 by SullutaCreturned

That's right. The party choses the candidates in order of preference, I don't know if that'll be made public. You're voting for the party and not the person.

It's definitely a problem, there's a good number of assembly members who I wouldn't vote for in a month of Sundays, but probably would vote for their party. It's not an ideal system at all.

Ultimately it'll mean smaller parties get some seats, and reform will do well.

It'll be more of the same though, a Labour/PC/Green coalition or something like that.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 20:49 - Sep 4 with 997 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 20:37 - Sep 4 by Scotia

That's right. The party choses the candidates in order of preference, I don't know if that'll be made public. You're voting for the party and not the person.

It's definitely a problem, there's a good number of assembly members who I wouldn't vote for in a month of Sundays, but probably would vote for their party. It's not an ideal system at all.

It'll be more of the same though, a Labour/PC/Green coalition or something like that.

Plus all candidates must have their main residence in Wales.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 21:47 - Sep 4 with 954 viewsFlashberryjack

The new system for electing Senedd members on 20:49 - Sep 4 by Whiterockin

Plus all candidates must have their main residence in Wales.

But, the candidates the senedd choose on our behalf, will probably have to tick the diversity box, so many black, female, gender neutral, Asian, homosexual, lesbian etc, they will not necessarily be the best people for the job.

Someone throw wales a life belt, because we're going down.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The new system for electing Senedd members on 22:08 - Sep 5 with 836 viewsSullutaCreturned

The new system for electing Senedd members on 20:37 - Sep 4 by Scotia

How will any voter in Wales feel if they get an ms who is albsolute dogshite bad who is placed in a safe seat purely because they tick a box or two?

This new system is a joke, it's not democracy. We have a form of representative democracy and we should be able tovote directly for the person we want to represent our views. Unde this system we may get a person who is diametrically opposed to many of our views. A person not from the area even if they live in Wales, a person with no understanding of local issues. We get far too much of that already, we needed change but this was never the change we needed.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 15:23 - Sep 6 with 761 viewsOhyeah

What an absolutely feeble excuse to increase the members of the free-loading pond life in the Senedd.

"We were literally getting to the point where we couldn't run committees. If somebody went to the toilet then the committee was inquorate. You cannot run a Parliament in that way."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9qg9jpp33xo
The new system for electing Senedd members on 15:31 - Sep 6 with 746 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 15:23 - Sep 6 by Ohyeah

What an absolutely feeble excuse to increase the members of the free-loading pond life in the Senedd.

"We were literally getting to the point where we couldn't run committees. If somebody went to the toilet then the committee was inquorate. You cannot run a Parliament in that way."

Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to pause the meeting and take a comfort break.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 17:37 - Sep 6 with 688 viewsmax936

The new system for electing Senedd members on 12:45 - Sep 3 by raynor94

Just second rate politicians feathering their own nest

This has Dreadful's name all over it, despicable dreadful character.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The new system for electing Senedd members on 18:41 - Sep 6 with 643 viewsScotia

The new system for electing Senedd members on 15:31 - Sep 6 by Whiterockin

Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to pause the meeting and take a comfort break.

Or change the rules about the numbers needed to sit on a committee or make the commitees bigger but responsible for more things.

A very feeble excuse.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 22:22 - Sep 6 with 589 viewsWhiterockin

The new system for electing Senedd members on 18:41 - Sep 6 by Scotia

Or change the rules about the numbers needed to sit on a committee or make the commitees bigger but responsible for more things.

A very feeble excuse.

It's a case of making a decision then trying to find a reason to back it up. They seem to be doing it all the time.
The new system for electing Senedd members on 08:32 - Sep 7 with 522 viewsBoundy

Worth a try I suppose,

https://senedd2026.reviewswales.wales/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFI4LBleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHYJ6

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The new system for electing Senedd members on 19:33 - Sep 7 with 466 viewsSullutaCreturned

The new system for electing Senedd members on 15:23 - Sep 6 by Ohyeah

Jeepers, how long do theytake going to the toilet? How many of them have such loose bladders the others cannot wait ten minutes?

I've read some feeble nonsense from politicians that I didn't think could be bettered (or worsened really) but this one is definitely towards the top of the list.

I wonder if our beloved leader realises how stupid it sounds?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024