Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? 09:24 - Jun 19 with 4735 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Despite talk of a supermajority and Labour triumphantly sweeping in on a wave of votes on July 4th the latest yougov poll has them only sitting on 36% which is a whole 4% lower than the percentage Corbyn achieved in 2017.

https://yougov.co.uk/elections/uk/2024

If this poll is accurate it’s a quite pathetic performance from Starmer, Rayner et al. you would think or hope that they would be taking full advantage of the disarray in the Tory ranks and we’d be seeing a surge in Labour voting intention. But there seems little appetite to vote for Labour either. They’re losing support if anything.

It’s quite a sorry state of affairs all around to be honest.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 23:23 - Jun 19 with 604 viewsbuilthjack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 23:21 - Jun 19 by DJack

Christ on a bike Rayns!

Two things.

What the heck did Corbyn to run the country for 14 years. Answer is NOTHING, he had nothing to do with the last 14 years of abject mis-management by the Tories.

And why wouldn't Starmer back his part's leader for an election? Right wing parties all over the planet get behind their leader and nothing is said but when a centrist gets behind his party's leader (a lefty) they are to be blamed for the ruling party's failings.

You are sounding as one-eyed as Felix or Flash. Wow, just wow!

It is Wow.
Blaming Corbyn for the Tories f#£& ups over 14 years.
Words fail me.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 23:45 - Jun 19 with 586 viewsmajorraglan

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:17 - Jun 19 by raynor94

It's not attacking Starmer it's having grave doubts about his leadership, and he's doing nothing to convince me he will be a good leader.

And you can lay a lot of the blame on 14 years at the door of Corbyn, a man Starmer backed at the last election

Your second paragraph is nonsense.

Starmer has reformed the Labour Party in turned it into something people are prepared to vote for, that takes some doing. Starmer may lack the personality of a Johnson, but look where that got us. I’m hoping Starmer will be pragmatic and sensible and is someone who understands the minutia, we need doers who know what’s going on not blue sky thinkers who get bored easily and then @@@@ it up.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 07:34 - Jun 20 with 518 viewsraynor94

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 23:21 - Jun 19 by DJack

Christ on a bike Rayns!

Two things.

What the heck did Corbyn to run the country for 14 years. Answer is NOTHING, he had nothing to do with the last 14 years of abject mis-management by the Tories.

And why wouldn't Starmer back his part's leader for an election? Right wing parties all over the planet get behind their leader and nothing is said but when a centrist gets behind his party's leader (a lefty) they are to be blamed for the ruling party's failings.

You are sounding as one-eyed as Felix or Flash. Wow, just wow!

My point being Corbyn being the leader of the Labour Party made them unelectable, and gave a free pass to Boris at the last Election

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 07:49 - Jun 20 with 515 viewsScotia

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 07:34 - Jun 20 by raynor94

My point being Corbyn being the leader of the Labour Party made them unelectable, and gave a free pass to Boris at the last Election

I don't think Corbyn can be solely blamed - a lot of that blame lies with the momentum movement in the Labour party too. It arguably even goes back to the election of Ed Milliband over his brother rather than David - largely led by the unions. Labour under Corbyn gave Boris a massive majority with no real opposition to challenge him.

Where Corbyn is directly at fault is that fact that he was a closet Brexiteer and would barley get involved in any opposition efforts to control the massive mess the Tories made over the Brexit negotiations. He wouldn't even stand on the same platform as some Tory MP's.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 09:01 - Jun 20 with 477 viewsonehunglow

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 07:34 - Jun 20 by raynor94

Which is why it was a sensible post .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 09:12 - Jun 20 with 467 viewsraynor94

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 07:49 - Jun 20 by Scotia

I don't think Corbyn can be solely blamed - a lot of that blame lies with the momentum movement in the Labour party too. It arguably even goes back to the election of Ed Milliband over his brother rather than David - largely led by the unions. Labour under Corbyn gave Boris a massive majority with no real opposition to challenge him.

Where Corbyn is directly at fault is that fact that he was a closet Brexiteer and would barley get involved in any opposition efforts to control the massive mess the Tories made over the Brexit negotiations. He wouldn't even stand on the same platform as some Tory MP's.

Couldn't agree more about the Millibands, I honestly belive if the Unions hadn't got there way and David became the leader of the Labour Party, we wouldn't have had 14 years of Tory rule.

I wonder where Len Mcluskey is these days

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 09:18 - Jun 20 with 459 viewsonehunglow

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 09:12 - Jun 20 by raynor94

Couldn't agree more about the Millibands, I honestly belive if the Unions hadn't got there way and David became the leader of the Labour Party, we wouldn't have had 14 years of Tory rule.

I wonder where Len Mcluskey is these days

Hasn’t he retired on a significant pension,Ray?
All for the working class was Ken,rather like Degsy Hatton,another champion of the poor,ordinary repressed folk of this country .

Corbyn was utterly responsible ,solely so,for this cluster fook of inept Conservative PMs.He terrified anyone who was not a Union activist or a closet communist . People had no choice .
Yes,he was that bad
People in “ working class” areas voted to leave EU ,as Johnson wanted
Corbyn is a EU cynic seeing it as a capitalist conspiracy ,just like Tony Benn yet he didn’t have the guts to urge folk to vote remain . A coward .

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 11:57 - Jun 20 with 433 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 18:31 - Jun 19 by johnlangy

Yes cat that poll doesn't show a great support for Labour even though it's still around twice the Tory vote.

But as far as I can see, out of all the polls taken JON has picked the one with the worst numbers for Labour. Even the Telegraph tracker as of today puts them at 43%.

I picked Yougov because they are probably the most well known and respected of all the pollsters. They were the only ones who correctly predicted a hung parliament in 2017. Predicting the future is impossible at the best of times but they have a good record of being more accurate than the rest.

If you are suggesting I hand picked them for nefarious purposes you’re wrong.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:11 - Jun 20 with 419 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 23:45 - Jun 19 by majorraglan

Your second paragraph is nonsense.

Starmer has reformed the Labour Party in turned it into something people are prepared to vote for, that takes some doing. Starmer may lack the personality of a Johnson, but look where that got us. I’m hoping Starmer will be pragmatic and sensible and is someone who understands the minutia, we need doers who know what’s going on not blue sky thinkers who get bored easily and then @@@@ it up.

That’s the whole point of this thread though, you say he’s transformed the party into something people want to vote for but there’s absolutely no evidence for that. I think the most positive comment I ever hear about the prospective Labour government is “oh well it can’t get any worse”.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:01 - Jun 20 with 384 viewsonehunglow

Corbyn WAS responsible
Merely his presence saw voters turn away from labour
Christ on a tandem

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:06 - Jun 20 with 376 viewsDr_Winston

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:11 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

That’s the whole point of this thread though, you say he’s transformed the party into something people want to vote for but there’s absolutely no evidence for that. I think the most positive comment I ever hear about the prospective Labour government is “oh well it can’t get any worse”.

It's quite baffling that there are people out there who think that Labour are going to sweep into power on the back of a massive popular vote, 1997 style.

They're going to win because at the moment they are the least worst option. There are simply no indicators to suggest otherwise.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:11 - Jun 20 with 371 viewsScotia

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:11 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I think that the main problem with poilitcs nowadays is that people want to vote for a character rather than policies or ability.

How the hell people have though Boris and Donald are worthy of the offices they've held is beyond me.

Now we have Farage with his false personna and manifesto of utter nonsense.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 14:03 - Jun 20 with 348 viewsJumpingJackFlash

No party has got over 50% of the votes for 90 years. Any party getting 40% wins. Labour is averaging around 43/44 in current polls. The Conservatives’ worst GE performance is just over 30% which looks like being broken unless the next two weeks sees a seismic change.

Winning parties virtually never enthuse the electorate, ruling parties get a kicking when they’ve been poor and boy, has the current ruling party been poor.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:52 - Jun 20 with 284 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:59 - Jun 19 by builthjack

Bloody hell. You are blaming Corbyn for 14 years of Tory absolute disaster.
Wow. That’s a new low.

Lets put that in context, if Labour had a halfway electabe leader then we wouldn't have been subjected to Bojo and the other tory halfwits.

This whole thread is about Starmer and people's concerns that he will be a poor PM. The claims you make, we will see. Time will tell.

Your problem, Builty, os you give blind support to Labour both here in Wales and at Westminster. You think they must be better because they couldn't be worse. Lets hope your right eh.
I read a news article about one of the party leader debates that apparently Sunak won. The said he won because he kept repeating the lie about Labour increasing taes by 2000. The opinion was that he had an easy ride because Starmer did not once call hm out on the lie, he stayed quiet. It is this wet lettuce approach that has people worried. We need a leader who has a force of will. He doesn't have to be a shouter and screamer, he doesn't have to be a bullshitter like Bojo but he has to have the strength to stand up and fight when it's needed.

In military context he comes across as more of a conscientious objector than a warrior. The last thing we need in 10 Downing is a wet lettuce who won't fight for this country.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:54 - Jun 20 with 284 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:11 - Jun 20 by Scotia

I think that the main problem with poilitcs nowadays is that people want to vote for a character rather than policies or ability.

How the hell people have though Boris and Donald are worthy of the offices they've held is beyond me.

Now we have Farage with his false personna and manifesto of utter nonsense.

It’s not just the problem these days. The ancient Greeks posed this problem thousands of years ago. As Socrates (great player) said:

Imagine a contest between a doctor and a sweet shop owner. The sweet shop owner would say “behold this doctor. He cuts your skin, pokes holes in you, he takes your blood. He tries to regulate what you eat and drink and gives you foul tasting potions. People enter his surgery and don’t come out alive. He brings pain and death upon you. Whereas I will generously serve you feasts of all manner of pleasant feasts.”

Who is going to vote for the doctor?

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:01 - Jun 20 with 278 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:06 - Jun 20 by Dr_Winston

It's quite baffling that there are people out there who think that Labour are going to sweep into power on the back of a massive popular vote, 1997 style.

They're going to win because at the moment they are the least worst option. There are simply no indicators to suggest otherwise.

t least Corbyn had some go in him. Some energy and you felt he would do what he said.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:16 - Jun 20 with 271 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:52 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

Lets put that in context, if Labour had a halfway electabe leader then we wouldn't have been subjected to Bojo and the other tory halfwits.

This whole thread is about Starmer and people's concerns that he will be a poor PM. The claims you make, we will see. Time will tell.

Your problem, Builty, os you give blind support to Labour both here in Wales and at Westminster. You think they must be better because they couldn't be worse. Lets hope your right eh.
I read a news article about one of the party leader debates that apparently Sunak won. The said he won because he kept repeating the lie about Labour increasing taes by 2000. The opinion was that he had an easy ride because Starmer did not once call hm out on the lie, he stayed quiet. It is this wet lettuce approach that has people worried. We need a leader who has a force of will. He doesn't have to be a shouter and screamer, he doesn't have to be a bullshitter like Bojo but he has to have the strength to stand up and fight when it's needed.

In military context he comes across as more of a conscientious objector than a warrior. The last thing we need in 10 Downing is a wet lettuce who won't fight for this country.

That party leader debate was fascinating. The snap poll taken at its conclusion was Sunak 51, Starmer 49.

The following day there were 4 polls each giving Starmer a conclusive win.

Lawyers who studied it pointed out that no lawyer would call out a perjurer on their first lie on the stand if they were convinced that the lie would be repeated time and time again. They would then hammer them for repeatedly lying.
Some of the lawyers thought that Starmer was too restrained and others thought that it was the right policy.
Labour hammered away at the lie the following morning and independent verifiers confirmed that Sunak's claims were exaggerated at best and basically false.

Maybe Starmer isn't cut out for the rough and tumble of an election campaign because of his background?
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:19 - Jun 20 with 266 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:16 - Jun 20 by JumpingJackFlash

That party leader debate was fascinating. The snap poll taken at its conclusion was Sunak 51, Starmer 49.

Lawyers who studied it pointed out that no lawyer would call out a perjurer on their first lie on the stand if they were convinced that the lie would be repeated time and time again. They would then hammer them for repeatedly lying.
Some of the lawyers thought that Starmer was too restrained and others thought that it was the right policy.
Labour hammered away at the lie the following morning and independent verifiers confirmed that Sunak's claims were exaggerated at best and basically false.

Maybe Starmer isn't cut out for the rough and tumble of an election campaign because of his background?

His dad was a toolmaker I heard.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:23 - Jun 20 with 262 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:16 - Jun 20 by JumpingJackFlash

Good post and that may be the case. In politics the first impression often carries a far way. If people saw that program and felt Sunak won and didn't see the news the following day then they may have made their minds up.

Starmer needs to TAKE the win and not let it be given him, if he's a shrinking violet over this he may let Reform in. Admittedly that will mean the Tories are totally ruined, which they deserve but I'm not happy with the idea of Farage being the opposition, there's too much of the Del Boy about him. He's more of a spiv like Walker off Dad's army!
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:42 - Jun 20 with 248 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:23 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

Good post and that may be the case. In politics the first impression often carries a far way. If people saw that program and felt Sunak won and didn't see the news the following day then they may have made their minds up.

Starmer needs to TAKE the win and not let it be given him, if he's a shrinking violet over this he may let Reform in. Admittedly that will mean the Tories are totally ruined, which they deserve but I'm not happy with the idea of Farage being the opposition, there's too much of the Del Boy about him. He's more of a spiv like Walker off Dad's army!

Agree about Farage in particular. I don’t see any way that he can become the leader of the opposition after the election. If the Tory vote continues to implode anything could happen but the Lib Dems will get more MPs than reform with half the vote because of the way their vote is concentrated in our FPTP system.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:43 - Jun 20 with 248 viewsGwyn737

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:06 - Jun 20 by Dr_Winston

That'll be an interesting measure.

The 1997 election that was seen as an historic landslide saw Blair get 13.5 million votes. The population has grown since then so that'll have be taken into account when the 2024 results come in.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:48 - Jun 20 with 230 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:43 - Jun 20 by Gwyn737

That'll be an interesting measure.

The 1997 election that was seen as an historic landslide saw Blair get 13.5 million votes. The population has grown since then so that'll have be taken into account when the 2024 results come in.

1997 you could feel a wave of optimism though. Of course there was a lot of Tory fatigue and John major might have been so boring he was the only child in history to run away from the circus to join a firm of accountants, but there was real optimism. Poorly placed optimism in hindsight but we don’t have anything like that now.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:25 - Jun 20 with 206 viewsbuilthjack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:48 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

1997 you could feel a wave of optimism though. Of course there was a lot of Tory fatigue and John major might have been so boring he was the only child in history to run away from the circus to join a firm of accountants, but there was real optimism. Poorly placed optimism in hindsight but we don’t have anything like that now.

You can feel the wave of optimism out and about on the streets. I have been to many places this week and there is a big buzz . Not on here with about 8 people, but throughout the country.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:37 - Jun 20 with 190 viewsraynor94

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:25 - Jun 20 by builthjack

You can feel the wave of optimism out and about on the streets. I have been to many places this week and there is a big buzz . Not on here with about 8 people, but throughout the country.

Do you know I live in Mount Pleasant the centre of Swansea, I have not received one piece of election literature from any party, leave alone a knock on the door.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:42 - Jun 20 with 183 viewsDr_Winston

I had my eyes tested by the Plaid Cymru candidate for Swansea West yesterday. Nice guy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024