Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff Airport 10:18 - Jan 13 with 23075 viewsjohnlangy

I know you're all desperate to use and support our Welsh airport based in RHOOSE.

So here is the list of flights available for your delectation and delight in the coming year.

Ryanair ✈️
4 flights a week to Dublin 🇮🇪
3 flights a week to Malaga 🇪🇸
3 flights a week to Alicante 🇪🇸
1 flight a week to Tenerife 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Faro 🇵🇹
Vueling ✈️
3 flights a week to Alicante 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Malaga 🇪🇸
KLM ✈️
3 flights a day to Amsterdam 🇳🇱
Loganair ✈️
6 flights a week to Edinburgh 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Aer Lingus ✈️
Daily flights to Belfast City ☘️
Balkan Holidays ✈️
Saturday flights to Bulgaria 🇧🇬
TUI ✈️
6 flights a week to Palma 🇪🇸
3 flights a week to Dalaman 🇹🇷
3 flights a week to Antalya 🇹🇷
3 flights a week to Tenerife 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Larnaca 🇨🇾
2 flights a week to Tunisia 🇹🇳
2 flights a week to Lanzarote 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Paphos 🇨🇾
2 flights a week to Ibiza 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Corfu 🇬🇷
2 flights a week to Alicante 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Rhodes 🇬🇷
2 flights a week to Malaga 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Menorca 🇪🇸
2 flights a week to Zante 🇬🇷
2 flights a week to Bulgaria 🇧🇬
2 flights a week to Kos 🇬🇷
1 flight a week to Dubrovnik 🇭🇷
1 flight a week to Kefalonia 🇬🇷
1 flight a week to Reus 🇪🇸
1 fight a week to Crete 🇬🇷
1 flight a week to Gran Canaria 🇪🇸

Enjoy
Cardiff Airport on 13:30 - Jul 23 with 1124 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Airport on 06:35 - Jul 23 by Scotia

It's not the airport that's the problem it's the flights from there and surrounding infrastructure.

Build roads and subsidise airlines and it may be money well spent.

I have flown CWL and never recall delays on the roads.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Cardiff Airport on 13:39 - Jul 23 with 1120 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Airport on 22:18 - Jul 22 by raynor94

So what about the other £400millon

This £400m figure is fantasy. There was the purchase price, loans and equity investments to improve the facility.

In theory all the money is recoverable. Wales needs an airport like London needs the Tube.

It is better to be privately run but Welsh entrepreneurs and businesses are thin on the ground sadly.

Drakeford went to Qatar for the World cup looking for investments in Wales. Welsh activists wanted him to discuss freedoms for Qatari men and women their own bedrooms. No wonder we have no money.

Cardiff Airport on 13:45 - Jul 23 with 1120 viewsraynor94

Cardiff Airport on 13:39 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

This £400m figure is fantasy. There was the purchase price, loans and equity investments to improve the facility.

In theory all the money is recoverable. Wales needs an airport like London needs the Tube.

It is better to be privately run but Welsh entrepreneurs and businesses are thin on the ground sadly.

Drakeford went to Qatar for the World cup looking for investments in Wales. Welsh activists wanted him to discuss freedoms for Qatari men and women their own bedrooms. No wonder we have no money.

Your opening 2 paragraphs are laughable, when was the last time you flew from there?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cardiff Airport on 14:28 - Jul 23 with 1083 viewscontroversial_jack

Cardiff Airport on 13:39 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

It was taken under govt control because privatisation didn't work
Cardiff Airport on 15:07 - Jul 23 with 1058 viewsScotia

Cardiff Airport on 13:30 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Neither do I, but I assume you're coming from West Wales. As I will be doing on Sunday morning.

West and mid West Wales is not a big enough catchment area and Brum and Bristol airports are easier to get to from elsewhere.

There's no point in giving money to the airport, it's fine as it is. External factors are the problem.
Cardiff Airport on 15:12 - Jul 23 with 1050 viewsWhiterockin

Cardiff Airport on 15:07 - Jul 23 by Scotia

Neither do I, but I assume you're coming from West Wales. As I will be doing on Sunday morning.

West and mid West Wales is not a big enough catchment area and Brum and Bristol airports are easier to get to from elsewhere.

There's no point in giving money to the airport, it's fine as it is. External factors are the problem.

Exactly and we will need to continue to subsidise the airport as long as the issues with the tunnels persist.
Cardiff Airport on 16:02 - Jul 23 with 1019 viewspencoedjack

Cardiff Airport on 11:48 - Jul 23 by raynor94

I do prefer to fly from Cardiff, luckily enough they fly to Zante and Alicante which suits me down to the ground

But it's hell of a lot of taxpayers money put in, they need to increase numbers, they could do with getting EasyJet there.

They do try to get some money back at the bar, £6.50 a pint, £13.00 for a cooked breakfast 🍻😉

Book the lounge depending on flight time.

Can't comment on Cardiff but I was in the one in Bristol in June & I certainly had my £32 worth.
Cardiff Airport on 18:08 - Jul 23 with 977 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Airport on 15:12 - Jul 23 by Whiterockin

Exactly and we will need to continue to subsidise the airport as long as the issues with the tunnels persist.

£4.5m loss last year. Each Welsh taxpayer per head ( everyone) is a whopping £1.5 per year.

The £200m new investment is £66 per head of Welsh citizens which might be recoverable it it is sold.in the future.

The aviation hub with St Athens is worth £200 m to the local Vale of Glamorgan. Cardiff aviation Aston Martin etc with and indirect link to the planet via Schipol.

Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff Airport on 18:26 - Jul 23 with 966 viewsSullutaCreturned

Cardiff Airport on 13:30 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

That's because hardly anybody uses it.

Your other comment about the tube, ridiculous to say the least. More peope use the tube in ONE week than use CWl in one whole year. Actually in 2023, 19-25 November there were over 24 million journeys on the tube so that's around 29 years worth of CWL. On one Thursday ther were over 4 million journeys, nearly 5 years worth of CWL journeys in ONE day.

The tube doesn't lose money on every journey but CWL does.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2023/november/latest-tfl-figure
Cardiff Airport on 19:14 - Jul 23 with 935 viewsbuilthjack

Cardiff Airport on 18:08 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

£4.5m loss last year. Each Welsh taxpayer per head ( everyone) is a whopping £1.5 per year.

The £200m new investment is £66 per head of Welsh citizens which might be recoverable it it is sold.in the future.

The aviation hub with St Athens is worth £200 m to the local Vale of Glamorgan. Cardiff aviation Aston Martin etc with and indirect link to the planet via Schipol.

As that 200m is over 10 years, that’s £6.60

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cardiff Airport on 19:51 - Jul 23 with 907 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Airport on 18:26 - Jul 23 by SullutaCreturned

That's because hardly anybody uses it.

Your other comment about the tube, ridiculous to say the least. More peope use the tube in ONE week than use CWl in one whole year. Actually in 2023, 19-25 November there were over 24 million journeys on the tube so that's around 29 years worth of CWL. On one Thursday ther were over 4 million journeys, nearly 5 years worth of CWL journeys in ONE day.

The tube doesn't lose money on every journey but CWL does.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2023/november/latest-tfl-figure

I am using your logic. "It loses money so it should be shut". "It is subsidised it should be shut. TfL lives on massive subsidies.

The roads are easier than Bristol where you are directed through central Bristol by the Sat nav. The rest in on small winding country roads, I got back form one flight and the M5 was shut.

TfL needs subsidies and that is OK. Wales needs this airport and Welsh people should use it.

The Senedd is working hard to make it profitable so it can be sold.

One poster said shut it down. His logic is "I want to drive an extra 45 mins through those dodgy tunnels to save the Welsh taxpayer a few quid each per year". I question his motives.

Cardiff Airport on 22:50 - Jul 23 with 838 viewsmajorraglan

Cardiff Airport on 19:51 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

I am using your logic. "It loses money so it should be shut". "It is subsidised it should be shut. TfL lives on massive subsidies.

The roads are easier than Bristol where you are directed through central Bristol by the Sat nav. The rest in on small winding country roads, I got back form one flight and the M5 was shut.

TfL needs subsidies and that is OK. Wales needs this airport and Welsh people should use it.

One poster said shut it down. His logic is "I want to drive an extra 45 mins through those dodgy tunnels to save the Welsh taxpayer a few quid each per year". I question his motives.

Flew from Bristol last week, I can’t say it was a great experience. I live in West Wales, so it’s at least a 2 3/4 hour trip to Bristol plus any delays. The Brynglas tunnels were really slow both ways, the traffic around Bristol was also a nightmare with a crash on the M5 resulting in chaos on the other roads. The airport parking was heaving, check in and security were a crawl and the departure lounge was also heaving. The flight was delayed out and back. Flying is no longer the pleasant experience it once was as we’re all treated like cattle and cash cows.

I’d prefer to have gone from Cardiff, but while there were reasonably priced flights to where we were going they were a couple of days out of sync with our dates. One of my kids is flying to Portugal from Cardiff this week and had a very good deal, but you’ve got to be in the right place at the right time to nab them.

I’d always go Cardiff through choice, but for now that choice is limited and it invariably has to be Bristol. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if Starmer allows APD to be devolved.
Cardiff Airport on 23:04 - Jul 23 with 830 viewsScotia

Cardiff Airport on 19:51 - Jul 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Personally I think all public transport should be subsidised to a certain extent.

The main difference between TFL and Cardiff airport is that TFL is crucial to the day to day function of one of the largest cities in the world but Cardiff airport could close tomorrow and few people would notice.

I'm not anti Cardiff airport, but I'm hugely concerned about WG's spending record. Wales needs an airport but I don't think WG are the right organisation to run it.
Cardiff Airport on 01:45 - Jul 24 with 804 viewsRobbie

Last few flights I have been on short trips to Edinburgh , Newcastle and and Prague have taken off ftom Bristol , Easyjet were the airline , cheap and easy to use , no issues .

CWL are deperate for a big player to bail them out , Qatar had a look and backed off .

WAG / Cardiff will fund them until they realise cheap carriers ar the way forward now .

Ryanair and Easyjet should be able to talk about using Cardiff as a go to option for their sevrice and potential planning .

Maybe the Senedd kicked their ideas into touch , too many subsadies involved.

International Airport for Wales it seems but are British Airways bothered to heip us out .
Cardiff Airport on 08:31 - Jul 24 with 762 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cardiff Airport on 14:28 - Jul 23 by controversial_jack

It was taken under govt control because privatisation didn't work

Cardiff Airport of course was never privatised . It was owned by Glamorgan County Council. Under local government reform in Wales its ownership was split between West Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan and South Glamorgan.

Individual counties sold off their third ownership as they did feel they could run an airport that was not in their county.

It reached it peak passenger numbers in 2007 under private ownership 2,100,000.

It was bought by the Welsh government in 2012.

In 2017 the Welsh Government said passenger numbers would reach 3 million in 2025.

Last year there were 840,000 passengers

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Cardiff Airport on 09:46 - Jul 24 with 731 viewscontroversial_jack

Cardiff Airport on 08:31 - Jul 24 by felixstowe_jack

Cardiff Airport of course was never privatised . It was owned by Glamorgan County Council. Under local government reform in Wales its ownership was split between West Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan and South Glamorgan.

Individual counties sold off their third ownership as they did feel they could run an airport that was not in their county.

It reached it peak passenger numbers in 2007 under private ownership 2,100,000.

It was bought by the Welsh government in 2012.

In 2017 the Welsh Government said passenger numbers would reach 3 million in 2025.

Last year there were 840,000 passengers

Yes it was. It was owned jointly by Abertis Infraestructuras, S.A. and another Spanish company
Cardiff Airport on 09:50 - Jul 24 with 730 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cardiff Airport on 09:46 - Jul 24 by controversial_jack

Yes it was. It was owned jointly by Abertis Infraestructuras, S.A. and another Spanish company

Correct after the councils sold their shares in it.
It was never a government asset that was privatised just a private company sold by its shareholders.

Surely even you know the difference between capitalist shareholders selling their shares that a government privatising an asset they own.

Since it was Nationlised by the Welsh government passengers numbers have crashed, losses up, subsidies up.

Cardiff Airport on 10:16 - Jul 24 with 719 viewscontroversial_jack

Cardiff Airport on 09:50 - Jul 24 by felixstowe_jack

Correct after the councils sold their shares in it.
It was never a government asset that was privatised just a private company sold by its shareholders.

Surely even you know the difference between capitalist shareholders selling their shares that a government privatising an asset they own.

Since it was Nationlised by the Welsh government passengers numbers have crashed, losses up, subsidies up.

It was privatised in 1995 almost 30 years ago and passenger numbers were declining steady, that's why the govt stepped in. However, it can't and never will compete with Bristol whoever runs it
Cardiff Airport on 10:33 - Jul 24 with 703 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cardiff Airport on 10:16 - Jul 24 by controversial_jack

It was privatised in 1995 almost 30 years ago and passenger numbers were declining steady, that's why the govt stepped in. However, it can't and never will compete with Bristol whoever runs it

We agree to differ shareholders selling their shares is not privatisation.

We do agree that passengers numbers fell from a peak of 2.1 million when privately run fell to 850,000 last year when it was a nationalised company

Cardiff Airport on 10:56 - Jul 24 with 680 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Airport on 10:33 - Jul 24 by felixstowe_jack

We do agree that passengers numbers fell from a peak of 2.1 million when privately run fell to 850,000 last year when it was a nationalised company

It will recover and become profitable. It needs to be sold off. I cannot be shut down without damage to the Vale of Glamorgan economy. It creates £200 m to the local economy.

Cardiff Airport on 18:16 - Jul 24 with 596 viewscontroversial_jack

Shareholders are private investors, so it's privatsation.

Numbers were falling when it was privatised and haven't recovered since
Cardiff Airport on 20:23 - Jul 24 with 545 viewsmajorraglan

That’s because the owners let the place go and things went downhill in to a spiral it’s never recovered from.
Cardiff Airport on 10:59 - Jul 25 with 443 viewsscruffyjack

Flew from there in June, pint of San Miguel just shy of £8! The most I’ve ever paid for a pint in any UK airport.
Cardiff Airport on 11:35 - Jul 25 with 419 viewsfbreath

If it was any good people would use it and numbers would be increasing not falling.

Like any business if you are worse than your competitors then you will lose market share.

I have used CWL a few times easy enough to get to but not much choice and generally cost more. So when looking for flights I compare Cardiff to Bristol and if cheaper then would use Cardiff but often even with the additional travelling petrol cost to drive to Bristol from Swansea it has been cheaper to fly from Bristol.

Cardiff airport needs to find a way to get flight prices down not easy to do

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Cardiff Airport on 14:59 - Jul 25 with 372 viewsMrSwerve

Cardiff Airport on 22:50 - Jul 23 by majorraglan

Flew from Bristol last week, I can’t say it was a great experience. I live in West Wales, so it’s at least a 2 3/4 hour trip to Bristol plus any delays. The Brynglas tunnels were really slow both ways, the traffic around Bristol was also a nightmare with a crash on the M5 resulting in chaos on the other roads. The airport parking was heaving, check in and security were a crawl and the departure lounge was also heaving. The flight was delayed out and back. Flying is no longer the pleasant experience it once was as we’re all treated like cattle and cash cows.

I’d prefer to have gone from Cardiff, but while there were reasonably priced flights to where we were going they were a couple of days out of sync with our dates. One of my kids is flying to Portugal from Cardiff this week and had a very good deal, but you’ve got to be in the right place at the right time to nab them.

I’d always go Cardiff through choice, but for now that choice is limited and it invariably has to be Bristol. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if Starmer allows APD to be devolved.

Bristol airport, as much as I've used it down the years, is not really fit for purpose any longer in terms of the building, parking and surrounding areas. The footfall through the airport now is huge - always overcrowded with ridiculous security check waiting times. The terminal really does need some form of expansion. The increase in traffic around there has made it a bit of a nightmare to get to, plus you have to be careful with the ULEZ zone too (although we once went through it, queried it and didn't have to pay).

I'm more than happy to pay £100+ more for the same holiday to fly from Cardiff now (which I am doing in a weeks time funnily enough). A much less stressful experience all-round. Park right outside the entrance, baggage check-in and security in under 15-20 mins.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024