Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) 21:52 - Dec 14 with 12752 viewsonehunglow

Come on it’s Christmas …
1. Louis
2.Ali
3.Marciano
4.Lennox Lewis
5.Jack Johnson
6 Dempsey
7.Larry Holmes
8.Mike Tyson
9.Joe Frazier
10. Evander Holyfield
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 21:54]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:58 - Dec 25 with 1583 viewsAnotherJohn

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:39 - Dec 25 by lifelong

I remember Brian London being interviewed after his defeat against Ali, he was asked what his advice would be to anyone wishing to fight Ali, he replied, “ Don’t bother.” 😄

Seeing that London fight on Youtube made me go on to look at the first Cooper-Clay (Ali) fight. There is a huge "what if". Clay, as he then was, looked to me as though he would have been finished if the knockdown had been a minute earlier in the round. More generally, despite Ali's exceptional boxing skills, I wouldn't put him at the very top because I think his "rope a dope" strategy of letting opponents punch themselves out wasn't smart When you see how poor old Ali ended up you might ask yourself who was the dope.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:51 - Dec 26 with 1515 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:58 - Dec 25 by AnotherJohn

Seeing that London fight on Youtube made me go on to look at the first Cooper-Clay (Ali) fight. There is a huge "what if". Clay, as he then was, looked to me as though he would have been finished if the knockdown had been a minute earlier in the round. More generally, despite Ali's exceptional boxing skills, I wouldn't put him at the very top because I think his "rope a dope" strategy of letting opponents punch themselves out wasn't smart When you see how poor old Ali ended up you might ask yourself who was the dope.

Keep it going boys
Great stuff

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:07 - Dec 26 with 1489 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:22 - Dec 25 by SullutaCreturned

I am a boxing casual but in sport there is always a what if.

What if Hereford beat Arsenal or even in boxing, what if leonard beat hagler, what if Foreman beat Moorer, what if Braddock beat Baer, what if Douglas beat Tyson.

Sport, all sports carry a what if and even the biggest underdog can win. What if the Swans beat Chelsea and go n to win the Carabao.

History is filled with great underdog wins so saying something coud never happen is a bit, well no doubt you'll disagree so I won't say it but others can decide and I'll eave you with Andy Ruiz v joshua.

Andy Ruiz was 19st and Joshua 18st when Ruis stopped him so i guessl you have just gone and contradicted yourself again, you really should stick to debating football
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:48 - Dec 26 with 1464 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:07 - Dec 26 by shingle

Andy Ruiz was 19st and Joshua 18st when Ruis stopped him so i guessl you have just gone and contradicted yourself again, you really should stick to debating football

So the lighter man got beat but that wasn't the point, Ruiz was the massive underdog, nobody gave him a chance except in his corner.

So it's not a contradiction is it. It's yet more proof that the expected winner isn't always the winner because sport is full of what ifs.

You say Marciano couldn't possibly and I say...what if he could.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 22:36 - Dec 26 with 1441 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:48 - Dec 26 by SullutaCreturned

So the lighter man got beat but that wasn't the point, Ruiz was the massive underdog, nobody gave him a chance except in his corner.

So it's not a contradiction is it. It's yet more proof that the expected winner isn't always the winner because sport is full of what ifs.

Marciano v Ruiz?
Rocky would have Trod on his toes ,butted him and cornered him before whacking a few low blows to his girth .

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:15 - Dec 27 with 1387 viewsKilkennyjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:58 - Dec 25 by AnotherJohn

His civic rights leadership outside of the ring robbed him of some of his best years.
3 years werevrobbed.

But Ali was always the peoples champion.

He went from the mover and dancer, to a guy who could stand toe to toe in a tear up as an older fighter.

He was a hero to millions and certainly no dope.

The Greatest.

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 10:25 - Dec 28 with 1360 viewstheloneranger

28/12/2023 ... According to The Ring Magazine - these are the top 10 best heavyweights on the planet outside of Usyk ...

Champion - Oleksandr Usyk ...

1 Tyson Fury

2 Anthony Joshua

3. Zhilei Zhang

4. Joseph Parker

5. Filip Hrgovic

6. Frank Sanchez

7. Jared Anderson

8. Joe Joyce

9. Deontay Wider

10. Ajit Kabayel

Ali and the rest of the heavyweight greats, must be turning in their graves!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:24 - Dec 28 with 1339 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 10:25 - Dec 28 by theloneranger

28/12/2023 ... According to The Ring Magazine - these are the top 10 best heavyweights on the planet outside of Usyk ...

Champion - Oleksandr Usyk ...

1 Tyson Fury

2 Anthony Joshua

3. Zhilei Zhang

4. Joseph Parker

5. Filip Hrgovic

6. Frank Sanchez

7. Jared Anderson

8. Joe Joyce

9. Deontay Wider

10. Ajit Kabayel

Ali and the rest of the heavyweight greats, must be turning in their graves!!

Great post keemo Sabie
OK I’m getting on now but that list shows the state of boxing nowadays.
In his prime, Ali would have played with all of them especially Fury who would have been humiliated
I can imagine Joshua being treated like Richard Dunn in Ali’s roper dope years . Joshua would not have laid a finger on him .
Keep thread going
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 12:25]

Login to get fewer ads

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:49 - Dec 28 with 1318 viewsSmallmawl

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

1. Ali
2. Mike Tyson

3. Joe Frazier
4. Tyson Fury
5. Holyfield
6. Foreman
7. Lennox
8. Joe Louis

9. Rocky. Marciano
10.Dempsey
11. Wladimir Klitschko

My top 20. Taking each at their peek of performance.

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Johnson
4.Dempsey
5. Langford
6. Foreman
7. Tyson
8. Marciano
9. Lewis
10. Liston
11. Jeffries
12. Wills
13. Tunney
14. Fury
15. Holmes
16. Walcott
17. Frazier
18. Braddock
19. Fitzsimmons
20. Charles.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 20:35 - Dec 28 with 1315 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:49 - Dec 28 by Smallmawl

My top 20. Taking each at their peek of performance.

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Johnson
4.Dempsey
5. Langford
6. Foreman
7. Tyson
8. Marciano
9. Lewis
10. Liston
11. Jeffries
12. Wills
13. Tunney
14. Fury
15. Holmes
16. Walcott
17. Frazier
18. Braddock
19. Fitzsimmons
20. Charles.

Impressive list Sir

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:35 - Dec 30 with 1264 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:48 - Dec 26 by SullutaCreturned

Stop trying to bail yourself out lol your argument was you believed that a 13st world champ could beat a better skilled 18st world champ and when it was explained how that is not a feasible conclusion and just does not happen in the sport of Boxing you started bringing in the but what if this or what if that scenario.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:03 - Dec 30 with 1248 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:35 - Dec 30 by shingle

Stop trying to bail yourself out lol your argument was you believed that a 13st world champ could beat a better skilled 18st world champ and when it was explained how that is not a feasible conclusion and just does not happen in the sport of Boxing you started bringing in the but what if this or what if that scenario.

What about a better skilled and ruthless efficient 13 stone against 18 stone statue of lard.
Have a look at some Joe Louis demolitions.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:04 - Dec 31 with 1222 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:03 - Dec 30 by onehunglow

What about a better skilled and ruthless efficient 13 stone against 18 stone statue of lard.
Have a look at some Joe Louis demolitions.

Yes i would agree a guy 5 stone lighter who is skilled at what he does would be well capable of taking out an 18st statue of lard, he would also have every chance of taking out 6ft 4in Adonis as well if they have little or no Boxing or fighting skills, the Ampling Alp and Nikolai Valuev were a prime example of that, both were freak shows weighing 21 and 23 stone and were fed bums to ko throughout there career until they were put in with skilled opposition and exposed.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 10:26 - Jan 1 with 1181 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:04 - Dec 31 by shingle

Yes i would agree a guy 5 stone lighter who is skilled at what he does would be well capable of taking out an 18st statue of lard, he would also have every chance of taking out 6ft 4in Adonis as well if they have little or no Boxing or fighting skills, the Ampling Alp and Nikolai Valuev were a prime example of that, both were freak shows weighing 21 and 23 stone and were fed bums to ko throughout there career until they were put in with skilled opposition and exposed.

Anyway,good luck for the New Year ,ya mad bugger

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 08:12 - Jan 5 with 1083 viewstheloneranger

Some interesting quotes ...

🥊”There’s never been a boxer better than Joe Louis. You’d take one shot from him and you were sure he’d have seven or eight more coming for you. Certainly Muhammad Ali was the greatest man ever to fight, but not the greatest boxer.” — George Foreman

“He hit me 18 times while I was in the act of falling.” — Max Baer

“I define fear as standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early.” — Max Baer

“He was a credit to his race – the human race…” — Jimmy Cannon, sportswriter

“Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis. Where do I rate Ali? Somewhere below me. I beat him, and if I could beat him, no doubt Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano could have beaten him.” — Joe Frazier

“I just give lip service to being the greatest. He was the greatest.” — Muhammad Ali

“When you’re a great finisher, you’ll become popular. Joe Louis was a great finisher.” — Mike Tyson

“Every time I hear the name Joe Louis my nose starts to bleed.” — Tommy Farr

“Joe Louis, to me, was the finest human being God put on this earth in every way.” — Angelo Dundee

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:57 - Jan 5 with 1049 viewsCleddau

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 08:12 - Jan 5 by theloneranger

Some interesting quotes ...

🥊”There’s never been a boxer better than Joe Louis. You’d take one shot from him and you were sure he’d have seven or eight more coming for you. Certainly Muhammad Ali was the greatest man ever to fight, but not the greatest boxer.” — George Foreman

“He hit me 18 times while I was in the act of falling.” — Max Baer

“I define fear as standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early.” — Max Baer

“He was a credit to his race – the human race…” — Jimmy Cannon, sportswriter

“Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis. Where do I rate Ali? Somewhere below me. I beat him, and if I could beat him, no doubt Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano could have beaten him.” — Joe Frazier

“I just give lip service to being the greatest. He was the greatest.” — Muhammad Ali

“When you’re a great finisher, you’ll become popular. Joe Louis was a great finisher.” — Mike Tyson

“Every time I hear the name Joe Louis my nose starts to bleed.” — Tommy Farr

“Joe Louis, to me, was the finest human being God put on this earth in every way.” — Angelo Dundee

Love that quote by Frazier.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 15:15 - Jan 5 with 1032 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:35 - Dec 30 by shingle

As I exlained it was you who started with the what ifs, what if marciano fought a modern day boxer, well he can't so we will never know. We have to take him on his record and that record is much better than other boxers.

So try this what if, what if you judge a boxer by what they actually did and not by a hypothetical fight against somebody born after Marciano died.

I still say that we cannot be certain that Marciano could lose because of the what ifs that regularly happen but even so, Marciano's record against people he actually fought against was immense.

I used to think like you, I used to believe that because of his size Leon Britton would get brushed aside in the Premier league by great players who were also much bigger, I still remember him putting Viera in his poscket. When you change history though, you can never be sure of the outcome.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 15:35 - Jan 5 with 1027 viewsKilkennyjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:07 - Dec 26 by shingle

He knows more about boxing …

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:03 - Jan 5 with 1020 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 15:35 - Jan 5 by Kilkennyjack

There is no hope for him then.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:01 - Jan 5 with 1008 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 15:35 - Jan 5 by Kilkennyjack

Come back when you know something about anything, or anything about something.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:06 - Jan 5 with 1006 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:03 - Jan 5 by shingle

There is no hope for him then.

Just judge them on their records, that's all the evidence you have. Making assumptions without evidence is just opinion and our opinions differ.

What if Tarver could beat Roy Jones Jr?
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:08 - Jan 6 with 969 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:06 - Jan 5 by SullutaCreturned

Just judge them on their records, that's all the evidence you have. Making assumptions without evidence is just opinion and our opinions differ.

What if Tarver could beat Roy Jones Jr?

I reckon if Tarver fought Jones twice he would win one on pts and brutally knock him out in the other.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 10:58 - Jan 7 with 930 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:08 - Jan 6 by shingle

I reckon if Tarver fought Jones twice he would win one on pts and brutally knock him out in the other.

If only you'd known tht BEFORE they'd fought eh. But before the fights Tarver was given no chance but...what if Tarver won? Which as it turned out is what happened.

See, not that hard.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:21 - Jan 7 with 892 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 10:58 - Jan 7 by SullutaCreturned

If only you'd known tht BEFORE they'd fought eh. But before the fights Tarver was given no chance but...what if Tarver won? Which as it turned out is what happened.

See, not that hard.

Well it is obviously very hard for you seeing as most knowledgeable Boxing pundits expected Tarvor to win the third fight under the assumption that Jones was now well passed his best seeing as he had just suffered his second successive brutal loss against Glen Johnson, in fact even in the first and second Tarvor fights many believed the weight cut coming down from heavyweight would mean Jones not being the fighter he once was you just have no idea have you lol
[Post edited 7 Jan 18:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024