Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? 16:39 - Nov 17 with 7636 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wrexham are being pressed to change their name to 'Wrecsam'. It sounds the same and should not trouble our English speaking friends too much.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenne

"Ham" is an Saxon word for brook I recall so it would be a Welsh mangling an original English name. Llanelli is now only Welsh which is good and the old mangled Lanelly has gone. There is Pen y bont now in the Cymru Adran. Bari and Caerfili seem straight forward.

People would object to a change in the whole word not pronunciation for example 'Swansea City' to 'Dinas Abertawe'. It is easy for our non Welsh speaking friends to say but falls foul of tradition. Names and shirt colours are staunchly defended by traditionalists. As a relaxed liberal myself I can see this is valid.

I do however propose to the good forum that the women's team be changed to 'Dinas Abertawe'. "They aint got no tradition" so it will not be a big leap into the unknown.

I sometime get irritated when I see "Swansea sign up new goalscorer" . I open the page in excitement and anticipation to discover " Stacey Morgan has signed from Pontypridd United".

Another thread for the faithful during the international break. Kindly.

[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 20:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:31 - Nov 20 with 910 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:07 - Nov 20 by ReslovenSwan1

This would be the reverse for the WOMENS team which was the theme of the OP. The Women's team is a bolted on mini version of the men's team. It needs its own identity and as Dinas Abertawe it would have it.

3859 is more than John Hollins's team would get back in the dark days at the 'orrible Vetch . The development women's team will increase usage of the Swansea.com and the clubs retail and refreshments department.

Newsnow Swansea city is 50% womens football today. I have zero interest in the blurring of the teams. I want separation and separate identities.

At least 50% of that 3859 attemdance was free tickets. Good way to try and boost attendance and interest. Its probably a generational thing, but I don't know a single person who'd entertain going to watch Swansea Women, thats bound to change moving forward, or at least you'd hope it would.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:31 - Nov 20 with 910 viewspencoedjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:55 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Lot of hot air here on these subjects
Many men opine about women’s football when they really don’t give a monkeys ,as you say,but it looks good .
I do think it is good to encourage young girls to get away from their devices to play sport though.

As regards the other matter,think I’ve said enough for today as some will be increasing their blood pressure

I wouldn’t allow it to affect your blood pressure fella just smile at them like I do.

I’ve probably done more Welsh away games than most of these proper Welshies have mustered between them . ( I exclude Builthy from that comment).
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:59 - Nov 20 with 888 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:21 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Can you honestly believe this thread
I thought it was a wind up and joined in the fun.
It seems some are serious
Thankfully,the overwhelming majority will simply put it down to more language war .
Why are some some sensitive ver a simple means of communication

It’s not going to happen but gives some something to bump their gums over.

Ridiculous notion, even for the ladies team. I think someone on here may have mentioned that as a possibility once. Or twice. Or even more times than that🙄

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:02 - Nov 20 with 883 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:31 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

I wouldn’t allow it to affect your blood pressure fella just smile at them like I do.

I’ve probably done more Welsh away games than most of these proper Welshies have mustered between them . ( I exclude Builthy from that comment).

Not mine mun. I’ve git tablets for that
It’s the others.
I’m a caring kind of chap

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:41 - Nov 20 with 857 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:31 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

I just wonder how you would define a proper Welshie?

Somebody born in Wales?
Somebody who can speak Welsh?
Somebody who encourages their children to speak Welsh?
Somebody who lives in the Country?
Somebody who doesn’t continuously run the country down?
Somebody who doesn’t desperately search the internet looking to post negativity about Wales?
Somebody who loves the Country no matter where they live?
Somebody who doesn’t want England to win at any sporting event?

Unfortunately there’s a few on here that only the first sentence relates to.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:43 - Nov 20 with 849 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

My PROPOSAL

Call the Women's Team DINAS ABERTAWE.

There reasons

a) It has local resonance
b) it is inclusive
c) It gives them a stronger identity
d) It voids confusion regarding headlines.

Any vote should be regarding ONLY the Women's team. I accept changing the men s team name would be unpopular.

Local Resonance
Dear God
No Mas

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:57 - Nov 20 with 843 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:43 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Local Resonance
Dear God
No Mas

Provenance would have been a better word but I can live with resonance. It is provenance and empathy for your origins that you lack.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:09 - Nov 20 with 818 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:57 - Nov 20 by ReslovenSwan1

Provenance would have been a better word but I can live with resonance. It is provenance and empathy for your origins that you lack.

Never preach to me
Ever
About anything
Go DM with me
I've asked you before
I'm waiting for you

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:34 - Nov 20 with 807 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:57 - Nov 20 by ReslovenSwan1

Ignore him Res, he’s had a bad day on here..he can’t take it.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:58 - Nov 20 with 774 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:52 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Who exactly is we
The last suggestion is bizarre and shows clear prejudice
You speak a minority language
Accept that

I take your point on cheaper season tickets for welsh speakers. 😉

Dewch ymlaen Dinas Abertawe 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 13:11 - Nov 21 with 685 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:07 - Nov 20 by ReslovenSwan1

This would be the reverse for the WOMENS team which was the theme of the OP. The Women's team is a bolted on mini version of the men's team. It needs its own identity and as Dinas Abertawe it would have it.

3859 is more than John Hollins's team would get back in the dark days at the 'orrible Vetch . The development women's team will increase usage of the Swansea.com and the clubs retail and refreshments department.

Newsnow Swansea city is 50% womens football today. I have zero interest in the blurring of the teams. I want separation and separate identities.

Not sure it is allowed to be called a "women's " team these days.

Even the NHS refers to women as " People who give birth " and ask men if they are pregnant before they perscibe drugs.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:14 - Nov 21 with 634 viewscockett_jack

No. Thanks. Luckily this will never happen!
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:42 - Nov 21 with 602 viewscockett_jack

Thinking this through though as a traditionalist and unionist Jack, would it not be more authentic to embrace the first recorded usage of a name and change it to Sweyn’s Eye FC. We cannot ignore our Viking roots here boyos, nor can we marginalise that community. This is massively important, way more important than anything else going on with the club these days. That Viking tele programme was popular right? Maybe that could be our angle here with Disney or Netflix
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:57 - Nov 21 with 586 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:42 - Nov 21 by cockett_jack

Thinking this through though as a traditionalist and unionist Jack, would it not be more authentic to embrace the first recorded usage of a name and change it to Sweyn’s Eye FC. We cannot ignore our Viking roots here boyos, nor can we marginalise that community. This is massively important, way more important than anything else going on with the club these days. That Viking tele programme was popular right? Maybe that could be our angle here with Disney or Netflix

Anyone know what ‘Football Club’ in Old Norse I’d?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:40 - Nov 21 with 560 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:42 - Nov 21 by cockett_jack

Ah, good old Cockett Jack.

That’s all we need on here, where you been keeping old bean?
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:43 - Nov 21 with 558 viewscockett_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:40 - Nov 21 by lifelong

Ah, good old Cockett Jack.

That’s all we need on here, where you been keeping old bean?

Thanks for the welcome back (that’s how I’m taking it). I’ve stopped crying in a corner after Russ left us and feel like I can contribute again
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:52 - Nov 21 with 551 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:31 - Nov 20 by Treforys_Jack

At least 50% of that 3859 attemdance was free tickets. Good way to try and boost attendance and interest. Its probably a generational thing, but I don't know a single person who'd entertain going to watch Swansea Women, thats bound to change moving forward, or at least you'd hope it would.

Times change, look at a cross section of people attending the Vetch Field and do the same now, a massive difference. As you say times change moving forward.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 00:13 - Nov 22 with 534 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:43 - Nov 21 by cockett_jack

Thanks for the welcome back (that’s how I’m taking it). I’ve stopped crying in a corner after Russ left us and feel like I can contribute again

Found a you tube clip of you, Union, Felixstowe, the Wirral One and a few others celebrating May Day earlier this year.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&c
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 00:25 - Nov 22 with 532 viewsSTID2017

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

My PROPOSAL

Call the Women's Team DINAS ABERTAWE.

There reasons

a) It has local resonance
b) it is inclusive
c) It gives them a stronger identity
d) It voids confusion regarding headlines.

Any vote should be regarding ONLY the Women's team. I accept changing the men s team name would be unpopular.

If they are Swansea City FC Women's Team then that is what they should be called.
Giving them the same respect as the men, male youth teams, and the younger male teams.
Or do we start calling the Under 21s Landore Training Facility AFC as they play and train there so maybe that is their rightful name ?
Any team, male or female, junior to veteran and everything in between that pulls on the white shirt deserves the honour of being called the same name.
If the name of our senior male team changes, then fine change every team in line.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 13:01 - Nov 22 with 485 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 00:13 - Nov 22 by lifelong

Found a you tube clip of you, Union, Felixstowe, the Wirral One and a few others celebrating May Day earlier this year.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&c

Barons Remembered!😂

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 14:09 - Nov 22 with 448 viewsBoundy

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:58 - Nov 20 by Kilkennyjack

I take your point on cheaper season tickets for welsh speakers. 😉

Dewch ymlaen Dinas Abertawe 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Surprised you didn't know that under the Equality Act 2010 you're not allowed to be discriminated against because of the language you speak

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:13 - Nov 22 with 422 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 00:25 - Nov 22 by STID2017

If they are Swansea City FC Women's Team then that is what they should be called.
Giving them the same respect as the men, male youth teams, and the younger male teams.
Or do we start calling the Under 21s Landore Training Facility AFC as they play and train there so maybe that is their rightful name ?
Any team, male or female, junior to veteran and everything in between that pulls on the white shirt deserves the honour of being called the same name.
If the name of our senior male team changes, then fine change every team in line.

'Dinas Abertawe' has more identity and carries more respect in my eyes. The gender name suffix is not required.

It should not be projected to the public as a second class bolt appendix to the main act. This appeared to be a problem with the Spanish female players and led to militancy and anger and a mother of all controversies hitting the global media a few month back.

It is the same name but in Welsh.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:20 - Nov 22 with 407 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:13 - Nov 22 by ReslovenSwan1

'Dinas Abertawe' has more identity and carries more respect in my eyes. The gender name suffix is not required.

It should not be projected to the public as a second class bolt appendix to the main act. This appeared to be a problem with the Spanish female players and led to militancy and anger and a mother of all controversies hitting the global media a few month back.

It is the same name but in Welsh.

But they represent the club who are known as Swansea City. They wear the same shirts and share the ground.

And why not affix a gender identity to it. That’s what they are, women or ladies. Just a fact.

Please don’t start a gender neutral discussion here as that’s a whole different can of worms.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:49 - Nov 22 with 396 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:20 - Nov 22 by union_jack

But they represent the club who are known as Swansea City. They wear the same shirts and share the ground.

And why not affix a gender identity to it. That’s what they are, women or ladies. Just a fact.

Please don’t start a gender neutral discussion here as that’s a whole different can of worms.

Why bring gender into it. Let the other team be called the Swansea city "Mens" team then. Swansea city has introduced to the club a second senior team that share the same name and facilities.

When talking about "Swansea city sign a striker" who are you referring to?. I have noticed that despite the fact the club have the same name the media routinely leave out the name suffix.

"Swansea's Robyn Pinder is ready for he match in the Swansea.com on Wednesday ".

Who is Robyn never head of him. Is he from the academy? I thought they were playing on Saturday not Wednesday.

My solution removes the unnecessary gender suffix. Coleman did not need to take n the women's team but has.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:55 - Nov 22 with 387 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:49 - Nov 22 by ReslovenSwan1

Why bring gender into it. Let the other team be called the Swansea city "Mens" team then. Swansea city has introduced to the club a second senior team that share the same name and facilities.

When talking about "Swansea city sign a striker" who are you referring to?. I have noticed that despite the fact the club have the same name the media routinely leave out the name suffix.

"Swansea's Robyn Pinder is ready for he match in the Swansea.com on Wednesday ".

Who is Robyn never head of him. Is he from the academy? I thought they were playing on Saturday not Wednesday.

My solution removes the unnecessary gender suffix. Coleman did not need to take n the women's team but has.

It goes a hell of a long way to avoid confusion and will create more.

So my question in reply to your first sentence is why not?? Are the words ladies or women now seen as somewhat discriminatory?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024