Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best CB we ever had 10:40 - Oct 19 with 5757 viewskingsburyR

Trying to lighten the mood.

Ive been heading down to HQ for 40 years now. The glory boys up front and in midfield get most of the plaudits.

I'd like to keep this to centre backs only.

The best Ive seen in 40 years at our place was Paul Parker. Thoughts?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Best CB we ever had on 13:18 - Oct 19 with 1085 viewshantssi

Best CB we ever had on 12:05 - Oct 19 by essextaxiboy

To lighten the mood further

Terry Mancini

Anyone remember the time he came on wearing a wig?
We thought we’d signed a new player until he whipped it off just before kick off!!
Best CB we ever had on 13:18 - Oct 19 with 1085 viewsrbee

I remember a home game against Liverpool, Paul Parker facing John Barnes on the edge of the penalty area at the The Loft and South Africa Road end. John Barnes feigned to go down the outside but dropped his shoulder and cut inside, Paul ended up on his backside. John took two touches to give himself an angle and prepared to shoot but before he could Paul kicked the ball away. I gasped and John Barnes had an incredulous look on his face.

Paul Parker is the best centre back I have seen wearing our hoops. Playing alongside him for me would be the legend that is Alan McDonald.

Plenty of honourable mentions over the years.
Best CB we ever had on 13:20 - Oct 19 with 1080 viewsBluce_Ree

Maddix on his day. Just a shame that he had to share a back line with Karl fking Ready.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Best CB we ever had on 13:41 - Oct 19 with 1033 viewsQPunkR

Best CB we ever had on 13:15 - Oct 19 by GRDHoops

My favourites:

Macca (also my favourite ever QPR player).

Shittu.

Can't see him mentioned yet but also Clint Hill .

Already mentioned them in the same order

QPR - "shit but local"

Best CB we ever had on 13:45 - Oct 19 with 1031 viewsSuperhoop83

Best CB we ever had on 11:18 - Oct 19 by Northernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61083/a-cup-win-a-

One of my rare away days and what a great one it was.

The icing on the cake was an old boy with a Huddersfield scarf giving us the finger as our coach left the ground. In the words of Shakin' Stevens, lovely stuff.

Suffering since 1978.

Best CB we ever had on 13:47 - Oct 19 with 1027 viewsstevec

Paul Parker.

Watched him get roughed up by that thug Fashanu at Plough Lane but still didn’t give him a kick. Another time had Gascoigne in his pocket, so much so that he took a swing at Parker and got sent off. That game put a bit of a slant for me on Gascoigne but I’ll leave it at that.

Macca and Fenwick were great too but Parker was another level.
Best CB we ever had on 13:54 - Oct 19 with 1004 viewsPaddyhoops

Hard to pick one but over the last 40 years , the greats like Macca and Fenwick have played with distinction at World Cup level .
Very hard to pick but some others like Hill and Shittu get cult status.
Best CB we ever had on 14:13 - Oct 19 with 975 viewsTheChef

No particular order:

McLintock
McDonald
Hill
Parker
Hazell

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Best CB we ever had on 14:20 - Oct 19 with 962 viewsR_from_afar

Best CB we ever had on 12:29 - Oct 19 by ActonExile

PP is the best i've seen technical ability,
Macca is the best 'never say die' attitude,
There were times when Richard Dunne's positioning were superb(imho) and probably made up for lack of fitness, we just got him 2 or 3 years(or stone) too late.

Good shout re. Dunne. The amazing thing with him - and here, I think the club deserve a lot of credit - is that he came to us having not played for over a season, yet he still did a good job.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Best CB we ever had on 14:33 - Oct 19 with 931 viewsstantheman10

Darren Peacock worth a mention
Best CB we ever had on 14:38 - Oct 19 with 916 viewsdannyblue

Best CB we ever had on 14:33 - Oct 19 by stantheman10

Darren Peacock worth a mention

Was he actually any good? I mainly remember him being on his backside while the ball was in our net.
Best CB we ever had on 14:41 - Oct 19 with 910 viewsconnell10

Best CB we ever had on 10:46 - Oct 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Macca for me.

Special mention for Onouha, who in almost any other QPR team in any other era other than the one he played in would have been considered a decent player.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 11:02]

Yep Macca .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Best CB we ever had on 14:50 - Oct 19 with 891 viewsSonofpugwash

Bobby "Dreadnought" Keetch.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Best CB we ever had on 14:59 - Oct 19 with 882 viewsrbee

I saw Darren Peacock make his debut for us away at Derby and he was outstanding for the rest of that season and the following season. Third season I do remember a drop in form but was still disappointed when he followed Les to Newcastle.

I was never that keen on Fenwick mainly because of his penchant for the two footed tackle and I seem to remember him making a fuss about wanting to leave the club.

Bob Hazell was ok, I do remember a bullet header in to the top corner at Upton Park.
Best CB we ever had on 15:25 - Oct 19 with 841 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nowhere near our best obviously, but I always thought Damien Stewart and Kasper Gorks was a under appreciated pairing.
Best CB we ever had on 15:28 - Oct 19 with 834 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Best CB we ever had on 14:38 - Oct 19 by dannyblue

Was he actually any good? I mainly remember him being on his backside while the ball was in our net.

Yes, Peacock was very good. However, Macca was the best.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 15:28]
Best CB we ever had on 15:44 - Oct 19 with 817 viewsNed_Kennedys

Best CB we ever had on 10:46 - Oct 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Macca for me.

Special mention for Onouha, who in almost any other QPR team in any other era other than the one he played in would have been considered a decent player.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 11:02]

Macca, Parker, Hill and Maddiix for me. Maddix my favourite as so underrated but did a brilliant job against some excellent centre forwards.

Ned was decent enough at Championship level but way below a number of other centre backs for me: would rate Wicks, Nielsen, Shittu, Hazell, Roeder & Fenwick above him.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 16:53]
Best CB we ever had on 15:49 - Oct 19 with 809 viewsterryb

Probably McLintock.

I'm certain about our worst though! Victor "Bloody" Mobley by the proverbial country mile!
Best CB we ever had on 16:08 - Oct 19 with 769 viewsCamberleyR

Best CB we ever had on 11:48 - Oct 19 by QPRSteve

I'd add Dave Webb in to the mix, fantastic defender an d chipped in with a few goals, I like all those mentioned so far.

I''m another one who loved Bob Hazel. I remember when we signed him from Wolves he came with a reputation for being sent off. What a lovely man he turned out to be. Will always be remembered for marking Regis out the game in that FA cup semi-final.

"Will always be remembered for marking Regis out the game in that FA cup semi-final"

Which was some achievement. Regis at the time was absolutely on fire for West Brom at the time, had scored 20+ goals for them to that point that season. Although we had a good team then I remember being a bit worried what Regis might do that day but Big Bob had the game of his life.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Best CB we ever had on 16:18 - Oct 19 with 760 viewsDorse

Best is pretty much between Parker and Macca for me. However, in terms of my faves: Steve Wicks (when I was really little), Mecca (obviously) and Big Dan Shittu (who I still miss to this day).

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best CB we ever had on 17:38 - Oct 19 with 701 viewsNoelmc

Paul Parker for me.

Outstanding pace, football intelligence and an amazing leap for a relatively small player. I remember him playing against Arsenal's Alan Smith in one match and winning almost all the aerial duels.

However Macca was my favourite centre back and a wonderful servant to the Club as well as being a fantastic guy. Honourable mentions for Danny Shittu, Danny Maddix and Richard Dunne who would also be in my top five R's CBs.
Best CB we ever had on 17:48 - Oct 19 with 693 viewsted_hendrix

In the play off final Richard Dunne was majestic, brilliant, awesome.

He ate Derby just ate up everthing they could throw at him.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Best CB we ever had on 17:50 - Oct 19 with 692 viewshantssi

Best CB we ever had on 16:08 - Oct 19 by CamberleyR

"Will always be remembered for marking Regis out the game in that FA cup semi-final"

Which was some achievement. Regis at the time was absolutely on fire for West Brom at the time, had scored 20+ goals for them to that point that season. Although we had a good team then I remember being a bit worried what Regis might do that day but Big Bob had the game of his life.

Big banner at the final “Hazel’s the Bobby that locks up Crooks”!
Brilliant!
Best CB we ever had on 17:51 - Oct 19 with 692 viewsQPROslo

Webby for me. His sliding tackles on the end of 30 yard charges out to petrified flying wingers were almost as joyous to watch as Stan's feints leaving defenders on their asses before stroking the ball past Keepers.
Best CB we ever had on 17:54 - Oct 19 with 688 viewsflynnbo

A mention for Steve Wicks. Also reckon Needham would have been good for us had he stayed and I suppose Dunne and Nelson didn't last long with us.

Nobody has suggested Cesar, Malcolm or Howe.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 17:57]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024