Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley 15:53 - Dec 30 with 12268 viewsRAFCBLUE

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-hull-barnsley-portsmouth-eyeing-swoo

Looks like Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth are all poised for the talented midfielder.

I can't see him going to the South Coast but then Andy Cannon did go there in 2019 but is also now at Hull.

Did Cannon and Morley ever play in the same Dale team or did they crossover?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:33 - Dec 30 with 6366 viewsJames1980

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:24 - Dec 30 by RAFCBLUE

Based on your find, James ( https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/) and the following:

RAFC Academy:
https://rochdaleafcyouth.co.uk/player-success/players-success-09/

Soccerbase:
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=94489

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Morley

The facts for Aaron Morley if it went to tribunal are going to look like this:

* Joined the Rochdale Academy as an Under 15 so been at the club for approximately 7 years
* Signed his first pro contract in March 2017 as a 17 year old
* Now on his third pro contract with Rochdale which ends in June 2022
* 120 appearance all competitions / 93 league appearances (so far) since turning pro.

Looking at that article, you'd be hard pressed to not be holding out for a top fee knowing that you can go to tribunal in the Summer.

That said, a Championship club will pay a good fee now to get ahead and get him now and not risk the lottery of the Summer.

In the hands of the market to some extent but Hull were in for Rathbone if memory serves and Cannon has ended up there.

What is it with the Hull City scouting system and Rochdale academy midfielders?

This must be one of the reasons the board declined Shrews offer. They are confident we would get more awarded at tribunal if it came to one.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:43 - Dec 30 with 6331 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:33 - Dec 30 by James1980

This must be one of the reasons the board declined Shrews offer. They are confident we would get more awarded at tribunal if it came to one.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-shifts

Danny Cowley has come out today stating he is looking to add 4 players in this window.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:50 - Dec 30 with 6298 views49thseason

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:24 - Dec 30 by RAFCBLUE

Based on your find, James ( https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/) and the following:

RAFC Academy:
https://rochdaleafcyouth.co.uk/player-success/players-success-09/

Soccerbase:
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=94489

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Morley

The facts for Aaron Morley if it went to tribunal are going to look like this:

* Joined the Rochdale Academy as an Under 15 so been at the club for approximately 7 years
* Signed his first pro contract in March 2017 as a 17 year old
* Now on his third pro contract with Rochdale which ends in June 2022
* 120 appearance all competitions / 93 league appearances (so far) since turning pro.

Looking at that article, you'd be hard pressed to not be holding out for a top fee knowing that you can go to tribunal in the Summer.

That said, a Championship club will pay a good fee now to get ahead and get him now and not risk the lottery of the Summer.

In the hands of the market to some extent but Hull were in for Rathbone if memory serves and Cannon has ended up there.

What is it with the Hull City scouting system and Rochdale academy midfielders?

They probably know we can't afford to take on "Maybe's" So if they get from Academy to first team squad they must have something about them. Also its not too far from Hull to nip over and take a look at short ( ish) notice. We dont do prima donnas either so our kids have good attitudes and know about working hard.
To be honest, Grant can probably do the Morley role albeit with someone behind him or nearby who can put a foot in.
I think my biggest worry is O'Connell and/or Beesley leaving at short notice without identified replacements but I guess those conversations may be already happening.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:50 - Dec 30 with 6314 viewsEllDale

To my mind if a player has his head turned then it’s difficult to persuade them to stay.
Keith Hill muttered this when Jamie Allen left and also when Matty Done departed for Sheffield United.
If Morley is enticed, with or without the help from his agent, then it’s down to the board to try and make sure that the fee is acceptable.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 00:13 - Dec 31 with 6266 viewsD_Alien

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:50 - Dec 30 by EllDale

To my mind if a player has his head turned then it’s difficult to persuade them to stay.
Keith Hill muttered this when Jamie Allen left and also when Matty Done departed for Sheffield United.
If Morley is enticed, with or without the help from his agent, then it’s down to the board to try and make sure that the fee is acceptable.

Very much so

If a player's career prospects are hindered by their club turning down reasonable offers, having a disaffected player in the squad is the worst of all possible outcomes

The player could also sustain an injury or loss of form which reduces his market value

I don't believe our board would stand in the way of players progressing their careers, makes no sense when we need to encourage youngsters to join us with that aim in mind

The sole point of contention remains what might be considered "reasonable"
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 0:17]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 06:04 - Dec 31 with 6132 viewspioneer

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 23:50 - Dec 30 by EllDale

Of course Keef was on a cut of transfer fees wasn’t he?

Hopefully the current board didn’t offer the same to RS. There is a clear conflict of interest there between the best interests of the club and the best interests of a manager
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 09:47 - Dec 31 with 5969 viewsAtThePeake

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 21:41 - Dec 30 by RAFCBLUE

Worth reminding ourselves of what the club said:

Naturally, we expect bids from other clubs for some of our players during January. The recent Plymouth FA Cup game saw the Club host scouts from 18 different clubs, including two English Premier League and Four Scottish Premier League clubs and, as you would expect, there is strong interest in our excellent players who we all know have significant long-term potential and value. Rochdale AFC has, for many years, developed some excellent players who have gone on to play in the Premier League.

Four Scottish Premier League clubs you might think are in for Morley for the reasons James1980 describes - question is will they stump up funds in the January window to get their man?

Interesting on the stats point and the club's reference to the Premier League.

It's clear that a lot of work is going on on valuation and that there is no need to sell, doing so will be a choice.

I do wonder whether some of those Scottish clubs will be interested in EOC. He'll be known north of the border from his time at Celtic.

Tangled up in blue.

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 10:00 - Dec 31 with 5938 viewsAtThePeake

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 21:05 - Dec 30 by Shun

And, according to the statisticians on Twitter (non-Dale ones, mind you), he's one of the best midfielders in the EFL. The truth is between the two I would suggest!

Well said Shun. "The truth is somewhere between the two" would be my catchphrase for Dale players this season.

Aaron Morley isn't the over-rated scapegoat he's made out to be on Facebook and nor is he the best midfielder in the division. Jake Beesley isn't as bad as George Donnelly or as good as Glenn Murray. Jeriel Dorsett isn't the worst defender we've ever had or the best young defender in the league (again as some stats on Twitter have shown). It feels like every judgement on a player at the moment has to be an extreme one.

I work with Opta data daily so I fully appreciate the role of stats in football but nothing winds me up more than Twitter 'Analysts' declaring a player they've never seen play to be one of the best in the league or ready for a move to a higher division based solely on stats. Emerson Royal has won the 2nd highest amount of tackles in the Premier League per minute this season and Charlie Taylor the highest amount of interceptions. Adama Traore has the most dribbles per 90 and Lewis Dunk has 91% pass accuracy (6th best in the league). Nobody would class those players to be among the best in the Premier League yet similar stats in L1 and L2 are treated as though they are gospel and the only way to judge a player.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 12:42 - Dec 31 with 5721 viewsD_Alien

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 10:00 - Dec 31 by AtThePeake

Well said Shun. "The truth is somewhere between the two" would be my catchphrase for Dale players this season.

Aaron Morley isn't the over-rated scapegoat he's made out to be on Facebook and nor is he the best midfielder in the division. Jake Beesley isn't as bad as George Donnelly or as good as Glenn Murray. Jeriel Dorsett isn't the worst defender we've ever had or the best young defender in the league (again as some stats on Twitter have shown). It feels like every judgement on a player at the moment has to be an extreme one.

I work with Opta data daily so I fully appreciate the role of stats in football but nothing winds me up more than Twitter 'Analysts' declaring a player they've never seen play to be one of the best in the league or ready for a move to a higher division based solely on stats. Emerson Royal has won the 2nd highest amount of tackles in the Premier League per minute this season and Charlie Taylor the highest amount of interceptions. Adama Traore has the most dribbles per 90 and Lewis Dunk has 91% pass accuracy (6th best in the league). Nobody would class those players to be among the best in the Premier League yet similar stats in L1 and L2 are treated as though they are gospel and the only way to judge a player.

I'd agree with all those points, but couldn't help thinking thank god we never allowed those Yanks anywhere near a real influence at our club. Maybe their 'data analytics' was more sophisticated, i really don't know, but as we've seen with data modelling in a different context, these techniques can only provide insights which human judgement then has to interpret in a way that no machine can replicate

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 12:51 - Dec 31 with 5692 viewsjonahwhereru

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 22:36 - Dec 30 by RAFCBLUE

Great find.

Normal rules of offering to buy something - go with the lowest price you think you can get.

Shrewsbury offering £150k this Summer sets a nice floor for a player who might leave on a tribunal decided fee in Summer 2022.

I am encouraged by the position on potential compensation. Have said of the assets we have Morley is the one I would be most comfortable about if he went in this window. Because of the cover we have in midfield and the need to bring in a bit of steel in that area.
However on this evidence, mainly the number of appearances and that he held down a position in L1 I think compensation discussions have to start no lower than 125k. If he were to go to Scotland realistically outside of the top 3 who could afford to pay wages that would turn his head enough to uproot to that extent. Strangely both the club and Morley are in decent positions here, and any buy will know that.
So I believe the board when they talk about valuations needing to be met. I speculate that it would need to be between around 400k for him to go in January and for Morley himself to be keen to make the move. On which point why would he when he would probably have a much wider choice and seasons end and can negotiate a better wage.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:55 - Dec 31 with 5578 views49thseason

I suppose another way of looking at Morley's worth to the club would be to figure out what he has cost the club to get him to the point of being a saleable asset

7 seasons on £500 a week wages is £180k and he is now probably on more than that. Add on his share of coaching and managerial costs, say £200 per week and you have another £70k, which gives you £250K- 300k to recoup before you have made any actual tangible profit. Yes he has played reasonably well and scored a few goals at what is a relatively low cost of employment but there are costs attached to employing him over the past years. Some of these costs may be defrayed over more years if we have sell on clauses etc but a fee of £150k doesnt really scratch the surface of the costs associated with getting him to this point .
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 14:04 - Dec 31 with 5556 viewsBrierls

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 22:16 - Dec 30 by 49thseason

I suspect we might make a move for him. No particular reason except I think RS rates him.

Yeah, me too. He’s been the first name on the team sheet under RS.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 14:12 - Dec 31 with 5523 viewsDalenet

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:55 - Dec 31 by 49thseason

I suppose another way of looking at Morley's worth to the club would be to figure out what he has cost the club to get him to the point of being a saleable asset

7 seasons on £500 a week wages is £180k and he is now probably on more than that. Add on his share of coaching and managerial costs, say £200 per week and you have another £70k, which gives you £250K- 300k to recoup before you have made any actual tangible profit. Yes he has played reasonably well and scored a few goals at what is a relatively low cost of employment but there are costs attached to employing him over the past years. Some of these costs may be defrayed over more years if we have sell on clauses etc but a fee of £150k doesnt really scratch the surface of the costs associated with getting him to this point .

I think the work he has done on the pitch have more than covered those costs. He is marmite I know, but when he is at his best, his crosses have brought many valuable points. Any decent fee should be seen as profit rather than any payback on an investment. I just like to think of our players as real people that put in a shift week in week out and deserve their chance. If Dale profit from it then all the better
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 18:29 - Dec 31 with 5168 viewsShun

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 10:00 - Dec 31 by AtThePeake

Some really good and thought-provoking points. I agree in the main, although I am guilty of being very vocal on Twitter about one point, and I will die on this hill, there isn’t a better attacking fullback in this league than Corey O’Keefe!
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 18:56 - Dec 31 with 5111 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:55 - Dec 31 by 49thseason

With a player on a tribunal fee, the club hold all the cards.

I see it like this:

* The player might want to move but the club might not agree a fee in January.

The risk to the club - an unhappy player
The risk to the player - an injury in the second half of the season which scuppers a move completely or a loss of interest from the buying club interest in January.

* The player might have a preference of Club A (say Hull) but not Club B (say Portsmouth)

The club have to agree a fee - so can accept a lower fee from Club B if it drives up the fee from Club A. Remember the club are under no obligation to accept a bid from Club A or Club B or both.

* Club C (say Wigan Athletic) come in with a bid that trumps Club A (say Hull) or Club B (say Portsmouth)

The Board then have a bidding war. I think inevitable at this point that he would go, providing the Board were happy to accept a bid or bids.

Player then is in the place of do you go or not - and back to that point if "what if" you get injured in the second half of the season.

Our Board have proven themselves strong in negotiations so far. It is good in the Morley circumstances that the deck is stacked firmly in their favour backed in part by the club's strong financial position.

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 11:19 - Jan 1 with 4625 viewsEllDale

In other news, Mansfield have had a right back out on loan to Solihull Moors and have just renewed the deal this morning but only initially to the end of January.
Not sure of the significance of that…..
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 12:02 - Jan 1 with 4540 viewsboromat

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 11:19 - Jan 1 by EllDale

In other news, Mansfield have had a right back out on loan to Solihull Moors and have just renewed the deal this morning but only initially to the end of January.

Sounds like they're hoping to get someone in permanently during January. Hopefully bodes well for O'Keefe leaving Mansfield let's just hope it's to us because he's enjoying it here and not to somewhere that can pay more.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:40 - Jan 1 with 4349 viewsTomRAFC

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 12:02 - Jan 1 by boromat

Sounds like they're hoping to get someone in permanently during January. Hopefully bodes well for O'Keefe leaving Mansfield let's just hope it's to us because he's enjoying it here and not to somewhere that can pay more.

He doesn't get on with Clough, so I don't see him going back to Mansfield. He's happy here and lives with Josh Andrews, who he is mates with. Hopefully that could sway his decision to come here.

Replacing O'Connell would be more of a challenge than Morley. We aren't shy of creative midfielders but we do lack some defensive clout.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 15:17 - Jan 1 with 4162 views1907

I fear we may have seen the last of O’Keeffe as I’ve heard there are much bigger clubs now chasing him following his performances for us this season.

I hope Broadbent also goes back as he’s really not offered enough to be fair.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 16:18 - Jan 1 with 4022 viewsboromat

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 15:17 - Jan 1 by 1907

I fear we may have seen the last of O’Keeffe as I’ve heard there are much bigger clubs now chasing him following his performances for us this season.

I hope Broadbent also goes back as he’s really not offered enough to be fair.

I don't mind either way with Broadbent hasn't had a huge amount of opportunities and I think the formation doesn't suit him. Depends whether RS thinks he can make a go of it with us if Morley goes. Can't imagine we're paying much for George.

Central midfield isn't as strong as people make out. Morley, Kelly, Dooley (this season), Broadbent, Brierley. Everyone already says they'd like a CDM if we lose Morley I think we'd need a proper central midfielder in unless Broadbent or Brierley can step up.

Grant can play as one of a 3 in midfield but he's more of a forward/winger for me.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 11:25 - Jan 2 with 3490 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 11:19 - Jan 1 by EllDale

Sounds like that they are keeping their options open.

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:00 - Jan 2 with 3337 viewsEllDale

As the epitome of a selling club I’m more or less reconciled to at least one departure presuming that the new board follow the same financial model.
I trust the new directors though to get a fair, reasonable price for whoever does leave be it Morley, EOC or anyone else. Could someone we haven’t considered but If the price is right….
Unlike the January where we flogged Cannon, Rafferty and McGahey with almost indecent haste.
Just out of interest, now that we don’t have a CEO as such, who handles player negotiations these days?
The COO? The manager? The chairman? Another designated board member?
Or a combination of all of the above?
Either way, as I say, I trust them implicitly.
Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 15:59 - Jan 2 with 3123 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 13:00 - Jan 2 by EllDale

As the epitome of a selling club I’m more or less reconciled to at least one departure presuming that the new board follow the same financial model.
I trust the new directors though to get a fair, reasonable price for whoever does leave be it Morley, EOC or anyone else. Could someone we haven’t considered but If the price is right….
Unlike the January where we flogged Cannon, Rafferty and McGahey with almost indecent haste.
Just out of interest, now that we don’t have a CEO as such, who handles player negotiations these days?
The COO? The manager? The chairman? Another designated board member?
Or a combination of all of the above?
Either way, as I say, I trust them implicitly.

Couple of bits:

1. On Morley:

The facts are Morley is one of the best midfielders in the EFL this season - hot property if you look at the data from @HenshawAnalytics

It's a game of when given he is out of contract in the Summer and could leave with a fee being set at a tribunal.

The data suggests he is one of the best midfielders outside of the Championship, but as other have also said, there are other factors.

2. On transfers:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/december/christmasmessage2021/

Naturally, we expect bids from other clubs for some of our players during January. The recent Plymouth FA Cup game saw the Club host scouts from 18 different clubs, including two English Premier League and Four Scottish Premier League clubs and, as you would expect, there is strong interest in our excellent players who we all know have significant long-term potential and value. Rochdale AFC has, for many years, developed some excellent players who have gone on to play in the Premier League.

Sounds like everyone is ready and expecting bids - question will be if they will be bids at the right value or just put straight in the bin.

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 22:28 - Jan 6 with 2418 viewsRAFCBLUE

Latest whisper on top of Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth on Aaron Morley is the stalking horse is Lincoln City....

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/conor-mcgrandles

Conor McGrandles leaving - Lincoln in the hunt for a replacement midfielder.

Hull, Barnsley and Portsmouth eyeing swoop for Aaron Morley on 14:42 - Jan 7 with 1845 viewsBigKindo

Tomorrow's team sheet might reveal something. Morley in or out and not Covid/injury related.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024