Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ridiculous train fares!!! 09:39 - Jan 23 with 2346 viewsdickythorpe

That's over a month's rent for me!!!

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/uea-lecturer-quoted-705-to-travel-from-norwich-to-s
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:03 - Jan 24 with 516 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 14:07 - Jan 23 by Batterseajack

He's not travelling first class, the high cost is because he's setting off at 5:30am and travelling during rush hour for the entire journey.

He could set off later, but miss his appointment in swansea.

He could set off the day before, but he then have to factor in a hotel and potentially childcare arrangements.

First train to leave norwich to swansea at 545am costs £220 return. For two people without any railcard that is £440.
No where near the £700 he claims.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:07 - Jan 24 with 506 viewsHighjack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:03 - Jan 24 by felixstowe_jack

First train to leave norwich to swansea at 545am costs £220 return. For two people without any railcard that is £440.

Still an absolute f*cking rip off. I used to fly up to Glasgow semi regularly from Cardiff and it only set me back 45 notes.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:24 - Jan 24 with 492 viewsBatterseajack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:03 - Jan 24 by felixstowe_jack

Set your return journey to 4:30 and come back to me
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:45 - Jan 24 with 483 viewsCooperman

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:50 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

I thought I smelt a rat, so I've just checked (as if I haven't got anything better to do).

Leaving 2 weeks today it'd cost £347.60* to go from Norwich to Swansea and back in a day, peak times. Standard economy fare. £347!

As you say, if you have to travel peak time you've no option. No wonder people drive.

(But drops to *£144 if you split the tickets).
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 13:55]

Evidence above and below that split tickets are the way forward.

Swansea to Paddington return for £100 (give or take)
Liverpool Street to Norwich return for £20
Also needs a few quid for a tube across London but that’s loose change.

£700? My ar5e.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 18:33 - Jan 24 with 467 viewsSPboy

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:56 - Jan 23 by Jack_Meoff

Not what he's saying is it? The subject is rail fares, and those that sold off the railways in the early 90s have just been voted back in.

The railway system in this country now benefits the coffers of the German, Dutch, Italian and French states. Not however, the British state, and certainly not those who paid for it and built it - the public via taxation.

It's theft; plain and simple. But we seem cool with this so expect more of the same.

“Not what he is saying is it?” .... really? I didn’t politicise this thread. Multiple governments including the red Tory dynasty of Blair & Brown presided over this system & did f’all about it. All seems a bit hypocritical pointing the finger. Meanwhile Welsh Labour set about making transport in Wales even worse, yet still they get voted in. Wow! The irony, must try harder chief
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 20:08 - Jan 24 with 438 viewsbuilthjack

GWR sale now on.
Cheap trains.
Try booking them though. It takes you to payment, put your card details in, then press pay.
THEN it says card payment declined.
I know quite a few who have had the same.
So you ring GWR, and they say it's only an Internet sale.
Fck me, what a con.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:05 - Jan 25 with 378 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:17 - Jan 24 by Batterseajack

Since i also have nothing better to do, first class would have been £600 per person for the same journey. And id that wasn't bad enough, its a 6 hour journey each way.

If he set off an hour later, it would be a more reasonable £120 per person.

And people say Planet Swans is boring these days...

It’s been fantastic recently . One of our more bourgeois members has a self opening garage door don’t you know

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 19:53 - Jan 25 with 334 viewsBillyChong

Yeah you can fanny about splitting tickets, travelling at 4am etc but bottom line the guys got a point, trains in this country are a rip off.
Login to get fewer ads

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 01:09 - Jan 26 with 296 viewsJack_Meoff

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 18:33 - Jan 24 by SPboy

“Not what he is saying is it?” .... really? I didn’t politicise this thread. Multiple governments including the red Tory dynasty of Blair & Brown presided over this system & did f’all about it. All seems a bit hypocritical pointing the finger. Meanwhile Welsh Labour set about making transport in Wales even worse, yet still they get voted in. Wow! The irony, must try harder chief

Ok, I'll try harder.

The Railways Act 1993 was the point when the Major government started the privatisation and the selling off of the railways in the UK. So when the subject is 'Ridiculous train fares' then people can be guided back to this obvious starting point. That's not pointing the finger - it's undeniable fact.

When someone says, 'This is what the majority voted for. Tw*ts.' - This relates to the same party that sold off said railways just being reelected with a majority. Your comment 'Whereas Transport for Wales is the shining light ?' is simply whataboutery - it has no relevance to the comment or the subject of this thread. No one is suggesting Transport for Wales is a shining light, or mentioned it until you did.

I'd not argue that presently the M4 in Wales at points is indeed sh*te; however on a thread about train fares and the history behind them how relevant is that?

Where I wouldn't argue with you is your comment about the 'red Tory dynasty of Blair & Brown.' Zero argument there. New Labour was a neoliberal party. We've recently seen what happens to anyone who has the temerity to introduce the 'n' word into the public consciousness. They'll get savaged by the attack dogs of the media. It's how the game works.

There you go 'chief.' Over to you for any final thoughts.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 1:10]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 11:51 - Jan 26 with 257 viewsBanosswan

Thought I'd travel up for work but train this week. Port Talbot to Sutton Coldfield £73.80, Abergavenny to Sutton Coldfield £26.10. Wtf?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024