Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remain With or Leave the EU 19:55 - Jun 2 with 130692 viewsunion_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:44 - Jun 16 with 2063 viewsdailew

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:37 - Jun 16 by jojaca

These jobs will be filled by raising the pay and adding additional benefits, so they become attractive. The reason people cant be bothered because some jobs are not worth the pay for what you put your body through. I would never work in a freezer job on minimum wage, working in temperatures at -20.

Can't be paying working class decent wages. How awful.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:44 - Jun 16 with 2063 viewssherpajacob

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:30 - Jun 16 by dailew

Not been following the debate much so could someone answer this for me.

1) Won't the UK join EFTA on a Brexit.

2) Doesn't this confer the same freedom of movement as if the Uk were still in the EU?

This is the issue.

Brexiters say we will have 1) without having to have 2), because 2) is why many will vote leave.

The EU say you can't have 1) without 2).

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:46 - Jun 16 with 2052 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:37 - Jun 16 by jojaca

These jobs will be filled by raising the pay and adding additional benefits, so they become attractive. The reason people cant be bothered because some jobs are not worth the pay for what you put your body through. I would never work in a freezer job on minimum wage, working in temperatures at -20.

How about below minimum wage as a lot of them are?

The poorly paid full time jobs that are already filled migrant workers will still be filled by migrant workers after brexit they are not being kicked out.
The seasonal jobs where the migrants come & leave when the job finishes can still be filled by migrant workers on visas 1/3/6 month if we want them to be.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:58 - Jun 16 with 2050 viewsdailew

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:44 - Jun 16 by sherpajacob

This is the issue.

Brexiters say we will have 1) without having to have 2), because 2) is why many will vote leave.

The EU say you can't have 1) without 2).

Thanks for that. Interesting.

Have the EFTA countries said anything about this?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 16:55 - Jun 16 with 2000 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:02 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

There are undoubtedly jobs that only immigrants will do. Jobs that our own population can't be bothered with.

Service industry, NHS, care homes, agricultural work etc.

Not sure how exactly people think that these jobs will suddenly be filled unless exit is accompanied by much stronger reform of the welfare state. Or perhaps we just won't bother growing food in this country. Perhaps we'll import it all from France and Spain, oh, hang on...

That's my very point "there are jobs that immigrants will do"!

Why is this? What is the reasoning for this? Why can't British people work on the farms, nhs, service industry, care homes? Why are we Brits above working in such positions? But we're happy for Alek the Albanian to work there on less than minimum wage for some agency.

Can't you see how wrong that is?

And are you trying to suggest that an exit vote will prevent French and Spanish farmers who get their income from trade with tescos and Asdas are suddenly going to stop selling their goods to us?

It's farcical!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:11 - Jun 16 with 1978 viewslondonlisa2001

Remain With or Leave the EU on 16:55 - Jun 16 by Highjack

That's my very point "there are jobs that immigrants will do"!

Why is this? What is the reasoning for this? Why can't British people work on the farms, nhs, service industry, care homes? Why are we Brits above working in such positions? But we're happy for Alek the Albanian to work there on less than minimum wage for some agency.

Can't you see how wrong that is?

And are you trying to suggest that an exit vote will prevent French and Spanish farmers who get their income from trade with tescos and Asdas are suddenly going to stop selling their goods to us?

It's farcical!

Of course I can see how wrong it is, but like it or not, there are service jobs or agriculture jobs that people won't do while they can 'earn' money for not doing them. Hence why I said that they won't suddenly do them if we leave unless we also see a shakeup of the welfare system.

And if we don't do them, then we either bring in immigrants to do them if they don't get done. And of course the French are not going to stop selling to us - that's not the point. As I've said before we depend on those goods, which is why we don't suddenly have the upper hand in negotiating all these incredible deals for ourselves if we leave.

One of the great myths of Brexit is that they depend more on us than we do on them - I was pointing out this is not the case.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:35 - Jun 16 with 1959 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:42 - Jun 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Unemployed = 1,671,000 = 5% of the population
Financially inactive, ie no job & no money of their own = 8,924,000 = 21.8% of the population
https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/gor/2092957698/report.aspx

"full employment", yeah right

Bloody anecdotal experiences they are!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:49 - Jun 16 with 1951 viewslondonlisa2001

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:35 - Jun 16 by Highjack

Bloody anecdotal experiences they are!

Economically inactive doesn't mean looking for work and unemployed !

It includes people over the age of 16 who are still in school or university and people under the age of 64 who are retired. It also includes women (5 and a half million of them are women) who have chosen to stay at home to raise a family etc.

With an unemployment rate of c. 5% Britain is close to full employment in economic terms. That doesn't mean good employment by the way - far too many are on low pay or zero hours but let's stick to the facts.
Login to get fewer ads

Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:01 - Jun 16 with 1932 viewsjohnlangy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:11 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

Of course I can see how wrong it is, but like it or not, there are service jobs or agriculture jobs that people won't do while they can 'earn' money for not doing them. Hence why I said that they won't suddenly do them if we leave unless we also see a shakeup of the welfare system.

And if we don't do them, then we either bring in immigrants to do them if they don't get done. And of course the French are not going to stop selling to us - that's not the point. As I've said before we depend on those goods, which is why we don't suddenly have the upper hand in negotiating all these incredible deals for ourselves if we leave.

One of the great myths of Brexit is that they depend more on us than we do on them - I was pointing out this is not the case.

An East Anglian farmer was interviewed out in his fields on Breakfast TV a couple of weeks ago. There was a team of Romanians I think planting the crop. He said he was paying them £10 an hour and they were working 10 hour days.

For basic physical work that's good money.

And you're right Lisa that we won't have the upper hand in agreeing a Trade deal. We depend on them far more than they depend on us.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:01 - Jun 16 with 1932 viewsdailew

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:49 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

It includes people over the age of 16 who are still in school or university and people under the age of 64 who are retired. It also includes women (5 and a half million of them are women) who have chosen to stay at home to raise a family etc.

With an unemployment rate of c. 5% Britain is close to full employment in economic terms. That doesn't mean good employment by the way - far too many are on low pay or zero hours but let's stick to the facts.

How many people "self-employed" and doing next to nothing just to get tax credits?

How many in higher education doing useless degrees they will never use.

Unemployment figures bit of a joke.

No wonder productivity in the UK lags way behind similar countries like France.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:31 - Jun 16 with 1910 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:49 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

The respone was to Nice to Michu who had responded to Highjack who said "we have hundreds of thousands if not millions of unemployed people already here"
Nice to Michu's answer suggests that Highjack was wrong, when Highjack was right, 1.67Million is a lot of thousands and more than 1 million.
5% may be better than the EU's average of 8.8% but compared to many countries it is not that good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

The Full Employment number can be set by any country between 0 and 5% or even more. So what is "full employment" for one country may not be considered full emplyment by another.
"So has genuine full employment ever been achieved in the post industrial world? "Of course we've had it," says the economist Lord Skidelsky. "Between 1950 and 1973 unemployment averaged 2% and was always well under one million.""
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15276765
Note, used to be 2%, well under 1 million.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:34 - Jun 16 with 1904 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:01 - Jun 16 by johnlangy

An East Anglian farmer was interviewed out in his fields on Breakfast TV a couple of weeks ago. There was a team of Romanians I think planting the crop. He said he was paying them £10 an hour and they were working 10 hour days.

For basic physical work that's good money.

And you're right Lisa that we won't have the upper hand in agreeing a Trade deal. We depend on them far more than they depend on us.

How does us employing low skilled labour mean that "we are more dependent on them"?
Isn't that dependency comment to do with Trade, not employment?
Low skilled labour can be obtained from many low paid countries, not just the EU.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:04 - Jun 16 with 1885 viewssherpajacob

Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:34 - Jun 16 by A_Fans_Dad

How does us employing low skilled labour mean that "we are more dependent on them"?
Low skilled labour can be obtained from many low paid countries, not just the EU.

and if we exit the EU and the Romanians and Poles go elsewhere, then it's possible this low skilled labour will come from Pakistan, libya, Syria and Afghanistan.

One for the " I want my county back" brigade to think about.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:16 - Jun 16 with 1872 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:04 - Jun 16 by sherpajacob

and if we exit the EU and the Romanians and Poles go elsewhere, then it's possible this low skilled labour will come from Pakistan, libya, Syria and Afghanistan.

Yes, but you can vet them and if you don't want them reject them.
You cannot vet EU citizens in the same way.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:28 - Jun 16 with 1867 viewssherpajacob

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:46 - Jun 16 by VetchitBack

Very little immgration outside EU unless it's highly skilled and needed.

Scrap the Free Movement of People as it simply punishes the poor from the more desirable countries and allows ease of movement for terrorists and criminals.

Scrap the Act. The fact that you've sired offspring (as a scumbag) should if anything be held against you not held up a reason why we can't deport/punish you.

Zero Islamic immigration till the religion reforms and faces up to and against its extreme elements and branches where nearly every crucial part of European civilisation is despised.

A sea-change in attitudes towards crime. An acceptance that crime is not solely the default response to poverty and with it an end to stigmatising all the poor as criminals. Sentencing which fits the crime with austere prisons that even the hardmen would fear going to.

"Zero Islamic immigration till the religion reforms and faces up to and against its extreme elements"

we also need zero immigration from Christians as well then.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/im-upset-he-didnt-finish-the-job-christian-092114685.h

Remain With or Leave the EU on 21:39 - Jun 16 with 1788 viewsNookiejack

Interesting article - that Parliament is only likely to accept a Brexit out vote if 60% to 40% majority in favour of exit - with 80% turnout.

Given estimated 70% of MPs are in favour of Remain - likely to then be s second referendum.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/anthony-hilton-why-we-may-remain-even-if-we-v
Remain With or Leave the EU on 22:28 - Jun 16 with 1757 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:04 - Jun 16 by sherpajacob

Again, why can't low skilled British people take these jobs?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 22:44 - Jun 16 with 1737 viewssherpajacob

Remain With or Leave the EU on 22:28 - Jun 16 by Highjack

Again, why can't low skilled British people take these jobs?

What's stopping low skilled uk workers applying for these jobs now?

Considering they would be competing against people who first language isn't English, they would have an immediate advantage.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:30 - Jun 16 with 1713 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:02 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

There are undoubtedly jobs that only immigrants will do. Jobs that our own population can't be bothered with.

Service industry, NHS, care homes, agricultural work etc.

Not sure how exactly people think that these jobs will suddenly be filled unless exit is accompanied by much stronger reform of the welfare state. Or perhaps we just won't bother growing food in this country. Perhaps we'll import it all from France and Spain, oh, hang on...

The issue is that of a living wage and THE living wage (or what the Government deems is sufficient to live on).

Cleaners working in the NHS can't possible get on the housing ladder in this country on the salary that they are paid and that's directy related to market forces at work in the NHS. Contracts go to the cheapest tender and the cheapest tender pays the worst wage. It's a race to the bottom and the Tories are nurturing it. And with the TTIP waiting in the wings for the EU it's only going to get much much worse with more and more of the NHS privatised via EU directives.

Multiply this through different public bodies (councils etc) and private industry and the only people who will be able to take such jobs are people from countries with poorer economies who are being exploited in order to force down the wages of the indigenous workforce.

Reagan and Thatcher didn't facilitate the fall of the iron curtain out of compassion for the peoples behind it. They did what they did to gain access to cheap labour markets and allow their "sponsors" first dibs on massie profits gained through this exploitation.

The sponge was full then but after squeezing and squeezing tere isn't much more to give. Even after destabilising the entire middle east which drove thousands into Europe to flee for their lives (where they in their turn will be exploited for profit) and the "machine's" ever growing need to be fed there seems little left in the larder to feed Globalism's glutonous appetite.

Let's hope the top 1 % that now hold 60-75% of the economic wealth in the world realise the game is up and start to feed down what they've taken so eagerly over the last three or four decades. Sadly though somehow I doubt it.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:52 - Jun 16 with 1694 viewsdailew

Remain With or Leave the EU on 22:44 - Jun 16 by sherpajacob

What's stopping low skilled uk workers applying for these jobs now?

Considering they would be competing against people who first language isn't English, they would have an immediate advantage.

They are.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13776775.Hundreds_flock_to_apply_for_jobs_

Remain With or Leave the EU on 07:13 - Jun 17 with 1626 viewspoptech

Remain With or Leave the EU on 08:06 - Jun 16 by yescomeon

That was my point. It's much easier to compile your list because it is a tiny minority of the literature.

Incorrect, they were not able to find enough papers.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 08:09 - Jun 17 with 1598 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 07:13 - Jun 17 by poptech

Incorrect, they were not able to find enough papers.

Move on, bro.

Let us fester in our steaming pile of ignorance. Not interested in discussions with a website.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:44 - Jun 17 with 1570 viewsjohnlangy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 18:34 - Jun 16 by A_Fans_Dad

I should have explained more expansively. Two points.

My point about the Romanians was that not all these jobs are low waged so it's surprising that they can't get British people to do the work.

And about us depending more on them. The Leavers tell us all the time that the EU will be desperate for us to do a deal because they export more to us than we do to them.

My way of looking at it is this. There are 3 million jobs dependant on our trade with the EU and there are 5 million EU jobs dependant on their trade with us because they sell us more than we do them.

When our UK rep is at the negotiating table he will be looking to get a deal to safeguard those 3 million jobs. EACH of the 27 now on the other side will be looking to safeguard roughly 200,000 jobs in their country. They will know that if they don't do a deal their country will suffer a big blow but at the same time the UK will suffer a devastating blow so they will have the upper hand. I know it won't be just one deal, that it'll be many but the logic is the same.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:14 - Jun 17 with 1554 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:52 - Jun 16 by dailew

They are.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13776775.Hundreds_flock_to_apply_for_jobs_

You have 300 people applying for this one in your link, 3000 turning up to a recruitment day at Aston Martin. It's happening all over the country, but the official statistics say we have full employment, and there's an airy, vague, arrogant assumption that only immigrants will do these jobs and being in the EU is somehow essential to these jobs getting done.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:20 - Jun 17 with 1550 viewsdailew

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:14 - Jun 17 by Highjack

You have 300 people applying for this one in your link, 3000 turning up to a recruitment day at Aston Martin. It's happening all over the country, but the official statistics say we have full employment, and there's an airy, vague, arrogant assumption that only immigrants will do these jobs and being in the EU is somehow essential to these jobs getting done.

There's always been a fair proportion of British middle-class and lefties in particular who hate the British working class.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024