Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football rules 16:44 - Apr 11 with 3811 viewsSpotty

No this isnt a thread saying how great the beautiful game is.

I was listening to an ESPN blog the other day, they had a bunch of ex-pros an the like discussing what rules of the game they would like to see scrapped, or which they would impliment into the game, and it got me thinking what the actual fans would change.

For me personally it would be the 'interfering with play' crap, regarding the offside rule, for me you're either offside or your not, and if you arent interfering with play, then you should be subbed off.

What do the rest of you lot think.
Football rules on 16:50 - Apr 11 with 2722 viewsTVOS1907

Grant's second goal last night was magnificent.

However, let's say Grimes had been in front of the last defender when Grant hit his shot, but nowhere near the line of flight or the goalkeeper. In other words 'not interfering with play or an opponent'.

Using old laws, Grimes would have been flagged offside and Grant's goal would have been disallowed.

That's one of the reasons that particular law (or at least interpretations of it) were implemented.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Football rules on 16:53 - Apr 11 with 2694 viewsBartRowou

Go back to one sub only. It would certainly make the top division more competitive.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Football rules on 16:55 - Apr 11 with 2683 viewsfitzochris

I would introduce the Brown Card, to be issued by the ref to players guilty of being shite.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Football rules on 16:55 - Apr 11 with 2679 viewsTVOS1907

Football rules on 16:53 - Apr 11 by BartRowou

Go back to one sub only. It would certainly make the top division more competitive.

Good idea.

Less former players to welcome back too.

Football rules on 16:56 - Apr 11 with 2676 viewsisitme

I would like the return on of multi ball system.

I would also like something to be done about players carrying the ball away etc to prevent a quick free kick when a free kick has been given against their team.
Football rules on 16:56 - Apr 11 with 2674 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 16:50 - Apr 11 by TVOS1907

Grant's second goal last night was magnificent.

However, let's say Grimes had been in front of the last defender when Grant hit his shot, but nowhere near the line of flight or the goalkeeper. In other words 'not interfering with play or an opponent'.

Using old laws, Grimes would have been flagged offside and Grant's goal would have been disallowed.

That's one of the reasons that particular law (or at least interpretations of it) were implemented.

The only reason I would call offside in that situation, would be if the original shot cannoned off the post, and Grimes put in the rebound, new rules have complicated so many aspects of the game, the offside rule is just the one that seems to get brought up the most.
Football rules on 16:58 - Apr 11 with 2662 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 16:56 - Apr 11 by isitme

I would like the return on of multi ball system.

I would also like something to be done about players carrying the ball away etc to prevent a quick free kick when a free kick has been given against their team.

we had to scrap that, because we couldn't trust ourselves not to cheat with it, even though they seem to manage fine on the continent with it.
Football rules on 17:02 - Apr 11 with 2649 viewsbuckbyname

Encourage referees to blow for obstruction. Having wings like an ostrich and an arse like an elephant shouldn't be the key attributes of a defender. Shepherd the ball out by all means but within touching distance.
Login to get fewer ads

Football rules on 17:03 - Apr 11 with 2643 viewsTVOS1907

Football rules on 16:56 - Apr 11 by Spotty

The only reason I would call offside in that situation, would be if the original shot cannoned off the post, and Grimes put in the rebound, new rules have complicated so many aspects of the game, the offside rule is just the one that seems to get brought up the most.

Then that would be a correct decision, but to go back to what you said in your original post, Grimes would be offside if we were using 'you're offside or you're not'.

The 'new' law means that just because a player is in an offside position, he isn't committing an offence by being there.

Would you want Grant's goal cancelled if Donnelly had been tying his boot laces by the corner flag at the time the ball was kicked, for example?

That's what would happen with 'you're either offside or you're not'.

At least the current law gives some room for manoeuvre to benefit attacking play.

Yes, it's complicated and officials sometimes get them wrong, but not very often when you add up all the games played over a season.

Football rules on 17:10 - Apr 11 with 2615 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 17:03 - Apr 11 by TVOS1907

Then that would be a correct decision, but to go back to what you said in your original post, Grimes would be offside if we were using 'you're offside or you're not'.

The 'new' law means that just because a player is in an offside position, he isn't committing an offence by being there.

Would you want Grant's goal cancelled if Donnelly had been tying his boot laces by the corner flag at the time the ball was kicked, for example?

That's what would happen with 'you're either offside or you're not'.

At least the current law gives some room for manoeuvre to benefit attacking play.

Yes, it's complicated and officials sometimes get them wrong, but not very often when you add up all the games played over a season.

I guess I dont know f*ck all about the new offside rule, just seems over complicated, but I guess it serves a purpose in certain parts, but a hindrance in others.

Say there is a situation where there is a team attacking, a player takes a shot, his team mate is standing in an offside position but not obstructing the keepers vision, does the linesman blow for offside on the player standing there, even though he didnt get a touch, but attempted to.
Football rules on 17:19 - Apr 11 with 2593 viewsTVOS1907

Football rules on 17:10 - Apr 11 by Spotty

I guess I dont know f*ck all about the new offside rule, just seems over complicated, but I guess it serves a purpose in certain parts, but a hindrance in others.

Say there is a situation where there is a team attacking, a player takes a shot, his team mate is standing in an offside position but not obstructing the keepers vision, does the linesman blow for offside on the player standing there, even though he didnt get a touch, but attempted to.

He could do.

That's when it becomes very complicated and difficult to interpret. It would depend on where the player was stood when he attempted to kick the ball and whether it was felt he was 'interfering with play'. Did him being there put off the goalkeeper or not? And so on ...

Like you say, difficult to interpret in some instances, but perfectly logical in others.

Football rules on 17:35 - Apr 11 with 2568 viewsmacro

remember it's a physical game and tackling is allowed
Football rules on 17:48 - Apr 11 with 2544 viewsdingdangblue

The 3 punishment rule for 1 crime when its a foul in the box and a red card, why should it be a penalty,sending off and 3 game ban? Denying an obvious goalscoring attempt? What's a penalty for Christ sake! The team gets the goalscoring chance back with a free shot from 12 yards! Just a penalty and yellow card will do. Id also give a penalty goal when its handballed on the line.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Football rules on 17:49 - Apr 11 with 2544 viewsTalkingSutty

What happened to the rule that empowered the ref to move the ball 10 yds further forward if players argued with his decision ?

Was that a figment of my imagination and if not why was it abolished ?

Its a good job the law didnt exisit when Coleman was at the club otherwise we would have been playing the majority of our home games in Denehurst Park !!
Football rules on 17:50 - Apr 11 with 2534 viewsRalphs12

Not really a rule, but shaking hands before the game... nonsense.
Football rules on 17:53 - Apr 11 with 2529 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 17:49 - Apr 11 by TalkingSutty

What happened to the rule that empowered the ref to move the ball 10 yds further forward if players argued with his decision ?

Its a good job the law didnt exisit when Coleman was at the club otherwise we would have been playing the majority of our home games in Denehurst Park !!

I remember that rule, but wasn't it if the wall encroached before the ball was hit, it was a ridiculous law, glad it was scrapped.

Speaking of laws that have disappeared, what happened to the 6 second rule, regarding keepers.
Football rules on 17:56 - Apr 11 with 2526 viewsStudiousDale

Enforcement of the 'respect' rule and campaign. Rooney hurled abuse at the ref (caught on the TV camera perfectly) Monday night and didn't get a second yellow. Couldn't help but think that if it wasn't Man U/Rooney or if he hadn't already been booked he would have been given a yellow.
Football rules on 18:06 - Apr 11 with 2508 viewsTVOS1907

Football rules on 17:48 - Apr 11 by dingdangblue

The 3 punishment rule for 1 crime when its a foul in the box and a red card, why should it be a penalty,sending off and 3 game ban? Denying an obvious goalscoring attempt? What's a penalty for Christ sake! The team gets the goalscoring chance back with a free shot from 12 yards! Just a penalty and yellow card will do. Id also give a penalty goal when its handballed on the line.

It would only be a 3 game ban for violent conduct or serious foul play, hence why McIntyre only got a 1-match suspension in September.

It's a tricky one, though. The fly in the ointment would be if the goalkeeper committed the foul, stayed on the field, then saved the penalty.

I do agree, however, that a penalty and yellow card should suffice.

Re. a penalty goal. What if the ball was trickling so slowly that it MIGHT NOT have crossed the line, yet the defender still decided to handle. What if the ball MIGHT have hit the post and come out?

We can't be giving goals for what MIGHT happen.

Football rules on 18:06 - Apr 11 with 2507 viewsisitme

Football rules on 17:53 - Apr 11 by Spotty

I remember that rule, but wasn't it if the wall encroached before the ball was hit, it was a ridiculous law, glad it was scrapped.

Speaking of laws that have disappeared, what happened to the 6 second rule, regarding keepers.

When was the last time a keeper was called for this?
Football rules on 18:08 - Apr 11 with 2506 viewsTVOS1907

Football rules on 17:49 - Apr 11 by TalkingSutty

It was experimented with in the JPT but didn't make a lot of difference so was discontinued.

I think they should do away with the "TIME ALLOWED" board to keep you guessing .....

Football rules on 18:11 - Apr 11 with 2491 viewsTalkingSutty

Football rules on 18:08 - Apr 11 by TVOS1907

It was experimented with in the JPT but didn't make a lot of difference so was discontinued.

I think they should do away with the "TIME ALLOWED" board to keep you guessing .....

Stop trying to spoil my "matchday experience", its tradition !!
Football rules on 18:13 - Apr 11 with 2477 viewsisitme

I would like there to be match clocks at all ground as their do in top flight Rugby Union. The referee then stops the clock for substitution, injuries, time wasting etc and the supporters can see that the clock has been stopped. This would help to overcome the somewhat arbitrary nature of stoppage time and make players wasting time almost meaningless, especially during substitutions.
Football rules on 18:14 - Apr 11 with 2476 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 18:06 - Apr 11 by TVOS1907

It would only be a 3 game ban for violent conduct or serious foul play, hence why McIntyre only got a 1-match suspension in September.

It's a tricky one, though. The fly in the ointment would be if the goalkeeper committed the foul, stayed on the field, then saved the penalty.

I do agree, however, that a penalty and yellow card should suffice.

Re. a penalty goal. What if the ball was trickling so slowly that it MIGHT NOT have crossed the line, yet the defender still decided to handle. What if the ball MIGHT have hit the post and come out?

We can't be giving goals for what MIGHT happen.

I think its a good call for a penalty goal for situations like Suarez against Ghana, but it cant be one rule for one..
Football rules on 18:17 - Apr 11 with 2473 viewsD_Alien

Football rules on 17:10 - Apr 11 by Spotty

"does the linesman blow for offside on the player standing there"

It's to be hoped the linesman won't blow on any player standing anywhere!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Football rules on 18:23 - Apr 11 with 2458 viewsSpotty

Football rules on 18:17 - Apr 11 by D_Alien

"does the linesman blow for offside on the player standing there"

It's to be hoped the linesman won't blow on any player standing anywhere!

you've just ruined Andy Bishops season with that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024