Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mountain climbing 18:34 - Jan 29 with 1670 viewsShun

Has anyone ever scaled any mountains? The Three Peaks? Or any further afield?

It's one of my ambitions to climb Mt.Kilimanjaro in the next 3 or so years, but I'm just wondering what sort of training to do.
Mountain climbing on 18:35 - Jan 29 with 1666 viewsFrog

Only Snowdon, more of a stroll
Mountain climbing on 18:37 - Jan 29 with 1650 viewsDale_Pea

You can appropriately prepare for any task with a training montage. You should know that.

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

Mountain climbing on 18:47 - Jan 29 with 1634 viewsShun

Mountain climbing on 18:37 - Jan 29 by Dale_Pea

You can appropriately prepare for any task with a training montage. You should know that.

Correct!
Mountain climbing on 18:51 - Jan 29 with 1628 viewsdalenumber2

I think altitude sickness is the one to watch out for there - a friend did Kilimanjaro, I say 'did' but he had to give up due to altitude sickness even though he did all the training.
Mountain climbing on 18:54 - Jan 29 with 1617 viewsShun

Mountain climbing on 18:51 - Jan 29 by dalenumber2

I think altitude sickness is the one to watch out for there - a friend did Kilimanjaro, I say 'did' but he had to give up due to altitude sickness even though he did all the training.

That's one of my main worries! I know doctors can prescribe things for altitude sickness these days, however.
Mountain climbing on 19:09 - Jan 29 with 1598 viewssmudger

Mountain climbing on 18:54 - Jan 29 by Shun

That's one of my main worries! I know doctors can prescribe things for altitude sickness these days, however.

Did Killi about 10 years ago, did a smaller mountain in the area called meru to acclimatise first. The secret is to take it very slowly, and don't rush of like a racing snake. Its not difficult, most people summit who attempt it.
Mountain climbing on 19:09 - Jan 29 with 1592 viewselectricblue

Do you mean pen y ghent, ingleborough, whernside..
If so its more of a strenuous challenging walk really....
I would try ingleborough and little ingleborough as a nice walk as you can call into ingleborough cave tour on your way back...
Park up at clapham walk through the plantation etc...
Its a nice walk and ingleborough is the easiest....
Also map reading is a must and not a garmin etc....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Mountain climbing on 19:18 - Jan 29 with 1579 viewsBainesy15

Yorkshire 3 peaks is fun and fairly difficult (for me), set yourself a target like 7hours
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Mountain climbing on 19:20 - Jan 29 with 1576 viewsolympicdale

I've been up knowl Hill, does that count....

Life is a game of fate.

Mountain climbing on 19:26 - Jan 29 with 1553 viewsolympicdale

Mountain climbing on 18:37 - Jan 29 by Dale_Pea

Life is a game of fate.

Mountain climbing on 19:32 - Jan 29 with 1547 viewshxdale

Scarfell, Snowdon and the 3 Peaks last year, aswell as all individually.. I thought Wherenside was the easiest, but Inglebrough the more challenging of the three...
Ben Nevis this year...
Mountain climbing on 19:47 - Jan 29 with 1529 viewsnordenblue

Did the proper 3 peaks in 09 if you need any more info etc message me,you will need a designated driver if planning on doing them in 24 hours due to the approx 12 hours driving involved and plenty of night driving is knackering in itself,climbed all 3 many times but mostly Snowden due to the ease to get there really.You can never over train that's one thing and as much as running etc builds stamina its a total different muscle usage for climbing and descending not to mention the impact on your lower joints,well well worth the effort and start from top to bottom location wise
Mountain climbing on 19:55 - Jan 29 with 1512 viewsShun

Thanks for the answers guys. Is there any realistic training you can do other than running? Besides climbing/hiking smaller mountains!
Mountain climbing on 20:02 - Jan 29 with 1501 viewsBirchy915

My Grandma has done every mountain range in Britain and has had a fair whack at Europe.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Mountain climbing on 20:21 - Jan 29 with 1481 viewsD_Alien

Mountain climbing on 19:55 - Jan 29 by Shun

Thanks for the answers guys. Is there any realistic training you can do other than running? Besides climbing/hiking smaller mountains!

The main issue you'll face Shun, is the sense of "exposure" at altitude. There's nothing can prepare you for this, it's like being in another world.

I'd definitely aim to climb Nevis as a minimum beforehand, and don't do it in perfect weather. Wait till spring, but when there's still snow at the summit. Maybe try something before then, such as the Old Man of Coniston which is a steep but fairly short ascent. It's all about lung capacity and conditioning.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Mountain climbing on 20:25 - Jan 29 with 1474 viewssmudger

Mountain climbing on 19:55 - Jan 29 by Shun

What exactly are you training for?
If it is for altitude, you can't train for it, either your body can take it or it can't.
Its all about your bodys ability to produce red blood cells, the ones that carry oxygen around.
If its for general fitness then its all about spending as much time in the hills as you can.
Step up machine at the gym.
Mountain climbing on 20:36 - Jan 29 with 1458 viewsStudiousDale

Shun I've heard that altitude medication is quite dangerous, as it just stops you feeling the symptons so you can't self-diagnose.

The below article is about Kili - they said that Moyles found it easier because of smoking (used to less oxygen or something)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7919100.stm
Mountain climbing on 20:39 - Jan 29 with 1456 viewsJumeirahDale

That's the risk with Kili from what I understand. Even with medication, you can do all the training you want and spend all that money, but there is every chance you could just be unlucky. Still, no reason not to give it a bash! Do it for charity (Bowlee anyone? ) and you will feel all the better for it.
Mountain climbing on 20:51 - Jan 29 with 1437 viewsrafc1984

Backpacked India and Nepal a few years ago, got to just over 3700m, the air is thin, but as others have posted, just take your time.
I remember climbing the himalayan foothills to Darjeeling, and looking back over the plains for about 1000 miles, fookin amazing. A picture in my head I will never forget.

Snowdon, Ben Nevis, merely hills, but good practice for steep climbs.

Tip - If you want a cheaper try out before spending all that money going to Tanzania, go to Tenerife and do the volcano, thats around 3500m, and a decent challenge.
Mountain climbing on 21:34 - Jan 29 with 1412 viewsPDIDDY

Mountain climbing on 19:20 - Jan 29 by olympicdale

I've been up knowl Hill, does that count....

I know a winger who's been up a miss hill

Gissa job

Mountain climbing on 21:43 - Jan 29 with 1394 viewsolympicdale

Mountain climbing on 21:34 - Jan 29 by PDIDDY

I know a winger who's been up a miss hill

oh do share diddy, worth a contract maybe.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024