Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee Carsley 11:21 - Sep 11 with 1294 viewsDorsetIan

I see that the chatter is starting around Carsley being appointed full time.

Is this a serious possibility? I know that he has played international football at a senior level and was successful managing the England U21 team, but most of his other managerial appointments have been as a caretaker.

His CV doesn't suggest it, but maybe he is good enough to manage England, but is he really the best manager the FA can find. I see that the US Team has just appointed Pochettino.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Lee Carsley on 11:26 - Sep 11 with 1264 viewsBuggalugs

I think it's inevitable he will be as the FA want to show all the money they've pumped into St Georges Park is justified. It's all about having that pathway and promoting from within, which I personally don't think is a bad thing.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Lee Carsley on 11:27 - Sep 11 with 1261 viewsIfonly

It's more than a serious possibility. It was always the most likely outcome. He'd just be taking the same route as Southgate from England age groups, to interim, to long term appointment. Like Southgate, he carries with him the player relationships from the age groups. Many of the players will want him to be appointed.
Lee Carsley on 12:07 - Sep 11 with 1213 viewsPatfromPoole

In reality, hardly any current club manager would want the job.

It's really a job either for:-

1. an ageing manager who can't cope with the daily pressures of club management, or
2. someone who has come up through the ranks like Southgate or Carsley

I suppose it's a results business ultimately, but it's pretty uninspiring.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Lee Carsley on 19:57 - Sep 11 with 1015 viewsBerber

Southgate had mixed results as a club manager. His record at that stage would not really have got him an interview, yet his induction into the FA showed that he could get there. No reason to think that Carsley cannot, given his success with the U21s, and the obvious enthusiasm shown by the players he has coached with them.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Lee Carsley on 12:13 - Sep 12 with 803 viewsDorsetIan

I think I just struggle to get beyond the thought that if Carsley couldn't get a job as a Premier League manager, which he couldn't, what's he doing managing England?

Lee Carsley on 12:30 - Sep 12 with 795 viewsIfonly

Lee Carsley on 12:13 - Sep 12 by DorsetIan

I think I just struggle to get beyond the thought that if Carsley couldn't get a job as a Premier League manager, which he couldn't, what's he doing managing England?

How do you know he couldn't get a PL job? I think he could. He's very highly thought of.

Which PL managers have demonstrated the ability to win the Euros with an England U21 side? None.

We've been trying the "famous foreign manager" for decades. It got us nowhere. Then the FA developed a plan for England. Southgate was the first manager to come out of that plan. He was similar to Carsley and wasn't famous and foreign enough for a lot of people, but he became one of the most successful England managers of all time. Carsley would be the second manager to come out of the FA's plan. I say give him a chance.
Lee Carsley on 12:56 - Sep 12 with 768 viewsDorsetIan

Lee Carsley on 12:30 - Sep 12 by Ifonly

How do you know he couldn't get a PL job? I think he could. He's very highly thought of.

Which PL managers have demonstrated the ability to win the Euros with an England U21 side? None.

We've been trying the "famous foreign manager" for decades. It got us nowhere. Then the FA developed a plan for England. Southgate was the first manager to come out of that plan. He was similar to Carsley and wasn't famous and foreign enough for a lot of people, but he became one of the most successful England managers of all time. Carsley would be the second manager to come out of the FA's plan. I say give him a chance.

He might get one after being England manager for a while, but I couldn't see him getting one on the basis of his previous CV.

It's a 'no' from me. He's currently being tested against, Ireland, Greece and Finland. Even if he wins all 6 games, does that really help us understand whether he can cut it against the top teams and best managers in the world?

Lee Carsley on 13:07 - Sep 12 with 753 viewsIfonly

Lee Carsley on 12:56 - Sep 12 by DorsetIan

He might get one after being England manager for a while, but I couldn't see him getting one on the basis of his previous CV.

It's a 'no' from me. He's currently being tested against, Ireland, Greece and Finland. Even if he wins all 6 games, does that really help us understand whether he can cut it against the top teams and best managers in the world?

Well Russel Martin is a PL manager, why not Carsley? I'm certain Carsley is a better coach e.g. both have had THB as a regular starter but one of them made him the rock in a defence that conceded ZERO goals in the Euros U21 tournament and one of them made him play in a way that involved giving the ball away in dangerous situations. I'd swap RM for Carsley in a heart beat and I'd wager THB would too.

So who would you appoint as England manager?
Login to get fewer ads

Lee Carsley on 10:57 - Sep 13 with 641 viewsDorsetIan

Lee Carsley on 13:07 - Sep 12 by Ifonly

Well Russel Martin is a PL manager, why not Carsley? I'm certain Carsley is a better coach e.g. both have had THB as a regular starter but one of them made him the rock in a defence that conceded ZERO goals in the Euros U21 tournament and one of them made him play in a way that involved giving the ball away in dangerous situations. I'd swap RM for Carsley in a heart beat and I'd wager THB would too.

So who would you appoint as England manager?

As Pochettino has now joined the ranks of international managers, I would have chosen him over Carsley very easily.

Lee Carsley on 12:20 - Sep 13 with 589 viewsChesham_Saint

What do other SUCCESSFUL countries do?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Lee Carsley on 15:36 - Sep 13 with 555 viewsBettwsresident

The best and long lasting instututions/companies in the world have a succession pathway, All Blacks, Royal acadamy, Cambridge Uni, Rolls Royce etc appoint the future CEO in a more junior role first, or bring them through the ranks. Spanish football has also started doing this. Carsely has all the credentials, knows the players and the system.

Also the English team might need to learn from the all blacks. After falling short in 2 world cups they introduced the "No Dickhead" policy.....it worked and they won the next 2.
Lee Carsley on 16:11 - Sep 13 with 525 viewsGRIM

Ashley Cole has been appointed as Coach for our National team, they wouldn't have appointed him if Carsley hadn't been already promised the Head Coach job.
Carsley has had an easy intro to managing at that level & he's passed that test but he's got much more difficult tests to come.
Only time will tell, but I did like to see his first two teams play with freedom & entertain as well as win.
Lee Carsley on 16:41 - Sep 13 with 487 viewsIfonly

Lee Carsley on 15:36 - Sep 13 by Bettwsresident

The best and long lasting instututions/companies in the world have a succession pathway, All Blacks, Royal acadamy, Cambridge Uni, Rolls Royce etc appoint the future CEO in a more junior role first, or bring them through the ranks. Spanish football has also started doing this. Carsely has all the credentials, knows the players and the system.

Also the English team might need to learn from the all blacks. After falling short in 2 world cups they introduced the "No Dickhead" policy.....it worked and they won the next 2.

The All Blacks policy sounds like the direct opposite of the Australian cricket team, where you have to be a dickhead to play for them.
Lee Carsley on 06:49 - Sep 14 with 383 viewskingolaf

Lee Carsley on 16:41 - Sep 13 by Ifonly

The All Blacks policy sounds like the direct opposite of the Australian cricket team, where you have to be a dickhead to play for them.

I hope they give it to him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024