Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth 21:19 - Sep 2 with 5472 viewsbosh67

Just a quick word about Paul in the last 5+ minutes of the Luton game. His defending down that flank and relentless tackles and harrying helped us see out the game. A really impressive display of putting everything on the line for the cause. The boy was everywhere. Well done Paul.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Paul Smyth on 21:42 - Sep 2 with 4877 viewsdmm

Agreed bosh but that's when Smyth is at his best; coming on for the final 30 minutes of a game. For me that should be his role now we have excellent options out wide.
Paul Smyth on 21:46 - Sep 2 with 4829 viewsHayesender

He's our David Fairclough

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Paul Smyth on 21:49 - Sep 2 with 4816 viewsHooparoo

Haven’t seen a live game for a while but I think he’s really improved since I saw him last. Better decision making and positioning which I assume is down to Marti’s coaching. Great impact player with his pace and enthusiasm.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Paul Smyth on 22:10 - Sep 2 with 4647 viewsDorse

I can't help but like Paul Smyth. In the second half v Luton, he basically leaned Doughty out of play, ran back with him, laughed and patted him on the back - just made me giggle.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paul Smyth on 22:15 - Sep 2 with 4609 viewsWatford_Ranger

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it but we’re a better team with him in it even if that means not playing a ‘better’ player.
Paul Smyth on 23:01 - Sep 2 with 4381 viewsJuzzie

Paul Smyth on 21:46 - Sep 2 by Hayesender

Without the goals ;)

But yes, did a great job v Luton. That was his task, keep them at bay.
Paul Smyth on 00:20 - Sep 3 with 4067 viewsCiderwithRsie

He did a great job, both defensively and by tipping the balance from us having to defend Luton attacks to us putting pressure on them

What we still didn't see - which isn't necessarily his fault - was chances made for other players, accurate crosses, or strikes on goal.

Until we do I think DMM is right - excellent impact sub in the last half hr, not necessarily first choice to start.
Paul Smyth on 01:46 - Sep 3 with 3916 viewsNorthernr

He’s been a mare for Doughty in both games this week.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth on 05:35 - Sep 3 with 3704 viewsQPROslo

Paul Smyth on 22:15 - Sep 2 by Watford_Ranger

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it but we’re a better team with him in it even if that means not playing a ‘better’ player.

What many said about Dykes.
Paul Smyth on 05:45 - Sep 3 with 3684 viewsjohnhoop

Paul Smyth on 21:42 - Sep 2 by dmm

Agreed bosh but that's when Smyth is at his best; coming on for the final 30 minutes of a game. For me that should be his role now we have excellent options out wide.

But most people seem to reckon that Dembele is far more effective played as a 10 in the middle. And while Saito may ultimately be more talented than Smyth, I think that Smyth is at the moment the more effective player so he may very well be our best wing option.
Paul Smyth on 07:04 - Sep 3 with 3458 viewsdmm

Paul Smyth on 05:45 - Sep 3 by johnhoop

But most people seem to reckon that Dembele is far more effective played as a 10 in the middle. And while Saito may ultimately be more talented than Smyth, I think that Smyth is at the moment the more effective player so he may very well be our best wing option.

I'm one who thinks Dembele looks better in the 10 role rather than out wide.

It's going to be interesting to see who plays where when Chair returns with him, Dembele, Andersen, Saito and Smyth all vying to start, plus Santos, Kolli and Lloyd in reserve. I'd love to see the 3 interchanging positions when attacking.
Paul Smyth on 07:22 - Sep 3 with 3369 viewsWatford_Ranger

Paul Smyth on 05:35 - Sep 3 by QPROslo

What many said about Dykes.

When the alternative was Armstrong they were probably just about right.
Paul Smyth on 08:22 - Sep 3 with 3075 viewsQPunkR

Paul Smyth on 07:04 - Sep 3 by dmm

I'm one who thinks Dembele looks better in the 10 role rather than out wide.

It's going to be interesting to see who plays where when Chair returns with him, Dembele, Andersen, Saito and Smyth all vying to start, plus Santos, Kolli and Lloyd in reserve. I'd love to see the 3 interchanging positions when attacking.

It's mouth watering, that's for sure.

For all my criticism of Smyth, he came on and did brilliantly on Friday - in both directions. More of that please (including less embarrassing diving - don't think he flopped to the ground vs Luton once?)

QPR - "shit but local"

Paul Smyth on 15:25 - Sep 3 with 2521 viewsBoston

Paul Smyth on 05:45 - Sep 3 by johnhoop

Saito looks like he could do with toughening up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Paul Smyth on 16:09 - Sep 3 with 2361 viewsbosh67

Paul Smyth on 15:25 - Sep 3 by Boston

Saito looks like he could do with toughening up.

Saito looks like a little boy whose been given three fizzy drinks and told to go out and play football with his mates. I agree he needs to hit the gym but two things he has are quick feet in tight situations and lightning pace. I mean this boy is fast. If he gets in behind a defender he will leave them for dead.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Paul Smyth on 16:57 - Sep 3 with 2200 viewssoops

Paul Smyth on 21:46 - Sep 2 by Hayesender

When all the Liverpool supporters at school would bang on about Fairclough, I argued that Peter Eastoe was an even better ‘super sub’. No idea now if that was based on him scoring 1 or 2 off the bench or if he was more prolific than that 😃
Paul Smyth on 17:09 - Sep 3 with 2141 viewsBoston

Paul Smyth on 16:57 - Sep 3 by soops

When all the Liverpool supporters at school would bang on about Fairclough, I argued that Peter Eastoe was an even better ‘super sub’. No idea now if that was based on him scoring 1 or 2 off the bench or if he was more prolific than that 😃

Eastoe was better looking...unless you're Metallica.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Paul Smyth on 17:43 - Sep 3 with 2022 viewsQPRcounsellor

I've been a fan of Paul Smyth the moment we first saw him v Cardiff at home where he scored a great goal, followed by a brilliant volley at home to Sheff Wed. Didn't understand why we let him go so easily but very glad he's back now.

Ainsworth did very well signing Steve Cook and Paul Smyth.
Paul Smyth on 17:53 - Sep 3 with 1990 viewsbosh67

Paul Smyth on 17:43 - Sep 3 by QPRcounsellor

I've been a fan of Paul Smyth the moment we first saw him v Cardiff at home where he scored a great goal, followed by a brilliant volley at home to Sheff Wed. Didn't understand why we let him go so easily but very glad he's back now.

Ainsworth did very well signing Steve Cook and Paul Smyth.

Agreed those were two very astute things Gareth did. Signing Colback was good as well to be honest. Gareth had good intentions, it's just his style of play and a disconnect with the squad for various reasons defeated him.

I agree, never understood why Smyth was made to leave the first time.

Never knowingly right.

Paul Smyth on 21:02 - Sep 3 with 1697 viewsSuperhoops2808

Paul Smyth on 17:53 - Sep 3 by bosh67

Agreed those were two very astute things Gareth did. Signing Colback was good as well to be honest. Gareth had good intentions, it's just his style of play and a disconnect with the squad for various reasons defeated him.

I agree, never understood why Smyth was made to leave the first time.

I agree Bosh, but remember the abuse people gave GA for re-signing him

Paul Smyth is another who appears to love this club and gives his all every time he plays
Paul Smyth on 22:50 - Sep 3 with 1522 viewsnumptydumpty

One thing about Paul Smyth is he has the best celebration bar none....

But one day he is going to cripple himself by landing slap bang wallop on the top of his bonce !!!

He should always be on the bench as 50% of the time off the bench, he can be a game changer.

But starting a game he can be invisible.

But agree Bosh, he is one player that plays to the height of his capabilities and you know everytime he will be playing to his 100% best possible.

Fans favourite if he adds consistency to his game...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Paul Smyth on 23:13 - Sep 3 with 1452 viewsstainrods_elbow

Paul Smyth on 08:22 - Sep 3 by QPunkR

It's mouth watering, that's for sure.

For all my criticism of Smyth, he came on and did brilliantly on Friday - in both directions. More of that please (including less embarrassing diving - don't think he flopped to the ground vs Luton once?)

Do you mean he was diving less often or when he did, it was less theatrical?

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Paul Smyth on 23:34 - Sep 3 with 1417 viewsQPunkR

Paul Smyth on 23:13 - Sep 3 by stainrods_elbow

Do you mean he was diving less often or when he did, it was less theatrical?

Less often. I don’t think he understands the concept of less theatrical

QPR - "shit but local"

Paul Smyth on 23:37 - Sep 3 with 1409 viewscolinallcars

Paul Smyth on 17:09 - Sep 3 by Boston

Eastoe was better looking...unless you're Metallica.

As Horace Greeley said….”go Eastoe young man”
Paul Smyth on 06:37 - Sep 4 with 1119 viewskarlski

Agree with the sentiments here. I think it’s clear to see some improvement and that’s kudos to both him and the coaching.

I mentioned on the match thread the very intelligent run he made for Frey’s winner, taking Doughty’s attention inside to leave Frey wide open. It appears he had a quick look back at Frey before he did it - if it was intentional, which I believe it was, then it’s a great bit of play almost as good as a direct assist. Which of course he could do with adding to his game.

But all round solid improvement and excellent off the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024