Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Varane 10:05 - Aug 4 with 17435 viewsGaryHaddock

Signed

https://qpr.co.uk/news/2024/august/04/qpr-complete-signing-of-jonathan-varane/
[Post edited 4 Aug 10:06]
Varane on 10:10 - Aug 4 with 9606 viewsozexile

I'm gonna say excellent. But I have no idea if he's any good.
Varane on 10:13 - Aug 4 with 9538 viewsbosh67

Yes let's hope he has a quick mind and quick feet at this level. Good luck to him. I think we have a side that can break up play and be defensively sound, which is always important but we desperately need a few attacking midfielders who can actually feed the forwards.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Varane on 10:25 - Aug 4 with 9397 viewsdmm

I'm pleased he's signed but feel fans shouldn't expect too much too soon. As we've seen with the other new signings - though Nardi excepted - he'll need time to settle in.
Varane on 10:29 - Aug 4 with 9328 views08olesen

Hayden had a big role last year so think it was important to bring someone in to replace. Hope this lad is good.

Really think we need some more creativity now. Anything happens to Ilias and its hard to see where the goals come from.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Varane on 10:30 - Aug 4 with 9317 viewsQPunkR

We really need this guy to be a decent link between midfield and attack, and I've read plenty of positive stuff on him here, albeit as far as I can tell just from people watching YouTube highlights if him.
I'm just cautious that if he was as mustard as we all hope then he wouldn't have been playing in the Segunda. As others though, I'm hopeful we've identified a tidy playmaker

QPR - "shit but local"

Varane on 10:35 - Aug 4 with 9235 viewsbosh67

Varane on 10:25 - Aug 4 by dmm

I'm pleased he's signed but feel fans shouldn't expect too much too soon. As we've seen with the other new signings - though Nardi excepted - he'll need time to settle in.

Totally agree. If we have some sticky opening results I can see a lot of ringing of hands etc and cries of derision but I honestly think it may take 6+ games to get going. We've lost a lot of players and the ones coming in are generally inexperienced in English football but I think we absolutely have to trust Marti and accept that he will need time to gel players and that as are our circumstances, we may have to wait for a few more attacking players to come in. We have lost around 14/15 players I think and Varane is only the 5th or 6th one in. It's not a very deep squad yet but it will evolve.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Varane on 11:51 - Aug 4 with 8488 viewsenfieldargh

Varane on 10:35 - Aug 4 by bosh67

Totally agree. If we have some sticky opening results I can see a lot of ringing of hands etc and cries of derision but I honestly think it may take 6+ games to get going. We've lost a lot of players and the ones coming in are generally inexperienced in English football but I think we absolutely have to trust Marti and accept that he will need time to gel players and that as are our circumstances, we may have to wait for a few more attacking players to come in. We have lost around 14/15 players I think and Varane is only the 5th or 6th one in. It's not a very deep squad yet but it will evolve.

Of those 15/16 players how many were experienced first team players.

We have cleared a lot of surplus out of the door from last season only Hayden & Willock of any true consequence plus someone called T Richards

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Varane on 12:02 - Aug 4 with 8371 viewswortonr

Varane on 11:51 - Aug 4 by enfieldargh

We have cleared a lot of surplus out of the door from last season only Hayden & Willock of any true consequence plus someone called T Richards

And Sinclair? Plus Lakerche was often involved too.
Login to get fewer ads

Varane on 12:13 - Aug 4 with 8215 viewsMyke

We have lost a fair amount of championship experience, Bergovic, Kakay Hayden, Willock and 2 a lesser extent Armstrong. The incoming players are generally speaking younger and have ZERO Championship experience. Also Apart from the keeper there is is no stand out up grade on what we have and we have lost a degree of pace and unpredictability up front. Add to that the uncertainty over a couple of players and a new style of playing out from the back. All these factors need to be taken into account and it will take several games for the players to fully gel and get to the level
[Post edited 4 Aug 12:16]
Varane on 12:23 - Aug 4 with 8070 viewsgazza1

Varane on 10:35 - Aug 4 by bosh67

We have released (got rid) players that were draining the payroll and were not good enough to move the club forwards, dare I say to a play-off position.

All good business from a 'get rid' situation imho, time will tell if the imports are good enough but I am confident.
Varane on 12:27 - Aug 4 with 7989 viewsgazza1

Varane on 12:13 - Aug 4 by Myke

We have lost a fair amount of championship experience, Bergovic, Kakay Hayden, Willock and 2 a lesser extent Armstrong. The incoming players are generally speaking younger and have ZERO Championship experience. Also Apart from the keeper there is is no stand out up grade on what we have and we have lost a degree of pace and unpredictability up front. Add to that the uncertainty over a couple of players and a new style of playing out from the back. All these factors need to be taken into account and it will take several games for the players to fully gel and get to the level

They may have had Championship experience but they were not good enough....Bergovic (really poor), Kakay (to an extend imo), Willock (didn't want to be here nor was he much good last season) & Armstrong (sorry but he is not good enough either).....so all good business saving the club monies.

Agreed the new boys do not have Championship experience but we cannot afford good players with that experience.

All good for me but we will seer.
Varane on 12:36 - Aug 4 with 7891 viewsBklynRanger

He might take a while to get up to speed but at least it gives some competition - having Field and Colback as automatic starters is not a healthy situation.
Varane on 12:38 - Aug 4 with 7879 viewsdaveB

Begovic, Kakay, Larkeshe, Dozzell, Hayden, Hodge. Willock, Armstrong all played a big part over the season

To me the squad looks a lot weaker than it did last year
Varane on 12:40 - Aug 4 with 7829 viewsHoopsie

Varane on 12:13 - Aug 4 by Myke

If we look at another perspective(s) - Begovic is slated by many here as a waste of money and had a 15+ page thread hoping he be gone, kakay with 100 championship games a poor man defender, Hayden is just too expensive one we cannot afford, Willock with his dodgy hammy was a gem of a player but two years ago and many doubted his commitment and he did went off and left the club with nothing (not that we could do a lot, and if we did and ended up as a expensive mistake - the same kind that many will crucify the club for in the past), and Armstrong, well we just had a 13+ page thread on him and I don’t think I need to remind us of what have been said.

So really, I would not be fretting about these departures but let us remind ourselves the new players, like all new players in the championship with all those different clubs, some will be successful whilst others will not. But hopefully our AI assisted acquisitions return more success than failure. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Edit: did someone say “Dozzell”?
[Post edited 4 Aug 12:42]

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Varane on 12:40 - Aug 4 with 7821 viewsgazza1

Numbers may be down but i think that quality is up a lot....the players that have gone may have played quite frequently but their performances were pretty average.
Varane on 12:41 - Aug 4 with 7801 viewsdm97

Varane on 12:23 - Aug 4 by gazza1

We have released (got rid) players that were draining the payroll and were not good enough to move the club forwards, dare I say to a play-off position.

All good business from a 'get rid' situation imho, time will tell if the imports are good enough but I am confident.

Very well put. Most of the ins are 25 and under and clearly selected on their ceiling as opposed to their current ability - Nardi aside who has looked so far a massive upgrade and a really shrewd signing.

Imagine Varane will be 3rd choice to begin with. Hopefully we get the end of the season Colback for a bit while he assimilates and then he can grow into the starting XI as time goes on.

Excited by our business, especially if we can get another forward and one of the LBs rumoured.
[Post edited 4 Aug 12:42]
Varane on 12:46 - Aug 4 with 7679 viewsfrancisbowles

I think it's going to be a difficult start as likely to be without Chair and new players need time to adapt.

We have a settled defence, if they all stay, and a very good keeper, which have been drilled into Marti's way. This will hopefully make us difficult to beat whilst we work on the midfield and attacking options. They will however make mistakes, which could cost us goals.

It's a bit too early to know but I think Celar is an upgrade on previous striking options. However, Santos and Bennie don't look ready to start games, whereas Morrison looks comfortable on the ball and ready to step in, when required.

We do need more attacking midfielders and we could do with at least one, ready to go asap, to cover the loss of Willock and absence of Chair.
Varane on 13:17 - Aug 4 with 7321 viewsGaryBannister86

Varane on 12:38 - Aug 4 by daveB

Begovic, Kakay, Larkeshe, Dozzell, Hayden, Hodge. Willock, Armstrong all played a big part over the season

"played a big part" as in they were bodies in the team - agreed. Begovic, Kakay, Larkeshe, Dozzell - in my opinion offered very little. Even Hodge barely played, Willock didn't really ever get going and Armstrong was, well, Armstrong. I don't see any detriment to losing many of those unless Armstrong fulfils potential. But, we do seem short in numbers.

Cook, Field, Chair, JCS - lose any of those and a different story.
Varane on 13:25 - Aug 4 with 7210 viewsslmrstid

I'd never heard of Jonathan Varane until we were linked with him and I still know nothing about him but for now I'm willing to believe he is everything we need. All hail Jonathan, for He is our King.
Varane on 13:26 - Aug 4 with 7199 viewsdaveB

Varane on 13:17 - Aug 4 by GaryBannister86

"played a big part" as in they were bodies in the team - agreed. Begovic, Kakay, Larkeshe, Dozzell - in my opinion offered very little. Even Hodge barely played, Willock didn't really ever get going and Armstrong was, well, Armstrong. I don't see any detriment to losing many of those unless Armstrong fulfils potential. But, we do seem short in numbers.

Cook, Field, Chair, JCS - lose any of those and a different story.

if you replace then with better then of course it won't hurt us quite the opposite but apart from the keeper not sure we've done that with everyone else, still a lot of the window left so how we look now will be different in a months time but as of today that to me looks like a bottom half squad
Varane on 13:34 - Aug 4 with 7085 viewsderbyhoop

Generally, the incomers have tended to be younger than those they replaced. That fits the model we need. However, we dont know how quickly they can adapt to Championship.

The worry has to be that, without Chair, we dont look like creating much.

I haven't seen any clips of Varane, so will be reserving judgement until I have seen him play.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Varane on 13:38 - Aug 4 with 7008 viewsenfieldargh

Forgot about Sinclair who will know doubt fulfill his potential elsewhere but as Clive has said as a footballer, running back or sprinter.

Would say he was onto a looser with our squad/system of play.

I wish him well of all the departures.

Dozzell 1 goal in our win at Boro, apart from that?
Hodge likewise 1 goal
Larkeche harry for goal v stoke

Those contributed to 9 precious points.

Begovic did keep us in games but his howlers offset his point savers to a degree

Yes less experience but HOPEFULLY players for Marti ball

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Varane on 13:52 - Aug 4 with 6768 viewsdaveB

Varane on 13:38 - Aug 4 by enfieldargh

Forgot about Sinclair who will know doubt fulfill his potential elsewhere but as Clive has said as a footballer, running back or sprinter.

Would say he was onto a looser with our squad/system of play.

I wish him well of all the departures.

Dozzell 1 goal in our win at Boro, apart from that?
Hodge likewise 1 goal
Larkeche harry for goal v stoke

Those contributed to 9 precious points.

Begovic did keep us in games but his howlers offset his point savers to a degree

Yes less experience but HOPEFULLY players for Marti ball

not suggesting those going were a mistake but we haven't replaced them all with better at the moment, the foreign data driven signings could be great or could be similar to the ones made under JFH, not many of them seem close to the first team at the moment

As I say things will change as i'm sure we will sign more players but as of today this is a squad that doesn't score goals and will again rely heavily on Chair having a great season
Varane on 13:55 - Aug 4 with 6734 viewslassel

Varane on 13:26 - Aug 4 by daveB

if you replace then with better then of course it won't hurt us quite the opposite but apart from the keeper not sure we've done that with everyone else, still a lot of the window left so how we look now will be different in a months time but as of today that to me looks like a bottom half squad

Maybe I’ve missed something but was anyone expecting anything other than a lower bottom half finish this season??
Varane on 14:16 - Aug 4 with 6375 viewsTK1

It looks stronger than it did a year ago on August 4, though.
Joe Gubbins, Charlie Kelman and Ossie Kakay aren't about to start at Watford tomorrow, for example.

The squad is significantly stronger than it was at the start of last season. It will look much stronger still when the window closes. All those players that you mention other than Willock and arguably Hodge and Larkeshe have been replaced. All will be replaced. And then there'll be other players, too, as always. Nobody can convince me the squad is weaker for not having Begovic, Kakay, Drewe and Dozzell available for calamity. I think Willock and Armstrong will be missed - but we'll get more attackers.

It's QPR. More players are always guaranteed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024