Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Pitches . 08:59 - Jun 19 with 797 viewsbwildered

FOOTBALL pitches are decreasing across the region, sparking concerns among those who love the sport in Colchester.

Think we can all list pitches across the borough which have disappeared over the years, from the pitch in the centre of town at Lower Castle park to numerous others.
Not only the generated cash but local social activity when you consider the Colchester Sunday league was made up of local firms, some with reserve teams. It was a fathers and sons journey for some and fellow workers and friends for others. All part of Colchester’s history .
[Post edited 19 Jun 9:00]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

No Pitches . on 10:18 - Jun 19 with 771 viewsthrillseeker

Best football pitches in area were at Royal London Sports Centre Mill Road with full time groundsman (Vic).

Same soil consistency as WHCS and never games called off due to waterlogged pitches. Royal London invested in a heron bone (i think it was called that) type drainage system.

Now pitches are part of concrete jungle in North Colchester

I once saw CUFC v Ipswich in a behind closed door friendly played one afternoon at Royal London Sports Centre as it was only pitch playable in area.

Whilst working at RL I was tipped off by Vic of the 2pm KO and used my flexi time hours to take afternoon off to see game.

Not many people witnessed that match but I did
No Pitches . on 12:18 - Jun 19 with 744 viewsbwildered

The U’s trained over the years at several locations, King Harold Rd, Bakers Lane, and University of Essex.
Yep some larger companies had there own, Royal London (Mill Rd ) Paxmans, (Land Lane ) Woods ( Braiswick ) and Co-op ( King Harold Rd ).

Many pitches now not available, Old Heath Recreation ground had three.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024