Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunak v Starmer tonight 09:25 - Jun 4 with 2691 viewsonehunglow

What’s this love island like ?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 23:09 - Jun 4 with 831 viewsonehunglow

Pensioners / retirement tax

Yeah baby

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 05:43 - Jun 5 with 754 viewsbuilthjack

Labour 46%
Tories 24%

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 06:20 - Jun 5 with 745 viewsWhiterockin

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 23:03 - Jun 4 by JumpingJackFlash

Snap poll by Yougov following the debate:

Who was more...
Trustworthy: Sunak 39% / Starmer 49%
Likeable: Sunak 34% / Starmer 50%
In touch: Sunak 17% / Starmer 66%
Prime Ministerial: Sunak 43% / Starmer 40%

I didn't watch the debate so haven't got a clue as to what went on. But from reading your poll Sunak is not trustworthy, likeable or in touch but the British public would prefer him as Prime Minister to Starmer. An interesting month ahead.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 06:36 - Jun 5 with 740 viewsAnotherJohn

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 23:09 - Jun 4 by onehunglow

Yeah baby

I would say that it doesn't look good for pensioners under either Tories or Labour.

Hunt's move to phase out national insurance is going to be highly detrimental because the revenue will then have to come from income tax, which will then be spread across the whole population (ending the advantage pensioners got from not paying NICs).

For better off pensioners or future pensioners, Reeves' promise to reintroduce the LTA is bad news, and it does seem highly plausible that there will be changes in pension contribution and tax rules that will make it harder to build a decent pension pot. I would like to see clarity in the Labour manifesto about this, but I suspect that the party will keep its plans vague.
[Post edited 5 Jun 20:03]
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 08:25 - Jun 5 with 686 viewsonehunglow

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 06:36 - Jun 5 by AnotherJohn

I would say that it doesn't look good for pensioners under either Tories or Labour.

Hunt's move to phase out national insurance is going to be highly detrimental because the revenue will then have to come from income tax, which will then be spread across the whole population (ending the advantage pensioners got from not paying NICs).

For better off pensioners or future pensioners, Reeves' promise to reintroduce the LTA is bad news, and it does seem highly plausible that there will be changes in pension contribution and tax rules that will make it harder to build a decent pension pot. I would like to see clarity in the Labour manifesto about this, but I suspect that the party will keep its plans vague.
[Post edited 5 Jun 20:03]

Why do they see people looking to be self sufficient by building a pension pot as targets to stream money from.
Do we want a nation where all are in the hands of the State .

We could see a very sinister government under Starmer..

Worried be

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 08:37 - Jun 5 with 667 viewsJumpingJackFlash

The pensioners’ tax allowance was much higher than non pensioners’ in 2010. In fact it was 50% higher.

The triple lock has been good for pensioners but the abolition of the higher age related tax allowance for them has been terrible.

They give with one hand and take away (often more) with the other. ‘Twas ever thus.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 10:16 - Jun 5 with 611 viewsmajorraglan

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 08:37 - Jun 5 by JumpingJackFlash

The pensioners’ tax allowance was much higher than non pensioners’ in 2010. In fact it was 50% higher.

The triple lock has been good for pensioners but the abolition of the higher age related tax allowance for them has been terrible.

They give with one hand and take away (often more) with the other. ‘Twas ever thus.

You make a really good point about the pensioners allowance being higher than the non pensioners allowance. In fact, there were 2 bands for pensioners, one of the 65 - 75 year olds and a second, higher threshold for the over 75s.
Cameron’s coalition government axed them in 2010, if they were still in existence and had been index linked, then they would be worth between £14.5 and £15k today. The bog standard personal allowance would be worth around £9.5k instead of the current £12.5k. It’s worth noting that all allowances are frozen until 2028 so there’s going to be a huge fiscal drag which will bring lots of people in to the tax regime.

It’s worth pointing out that Sunak made a lot of play on “Treasury” costings which would cost families around £2k each during last nights debate, it now looks like the Treadury are refuting that and it seems Sunak has been caught being economical with the truth.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 10:30 - Jun 5 with 604 viewsraynor94

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 08:37 - Jun 5 by JumpingJackFlash

Yes the triple lock is good for pensioners without a private pension, but if you have one as you say they give with one hand and take away with the other due to the increase in tax

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Login to get fewer ads

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:07 - Jun 5 with 562 viewscontroversial_jack

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 10:30 - Jun 5 by raynor94

Yes the triple lock is good for pensioners without a private pension, but if you have one as you say they give with one hand and take away with the other due to the increase in tax

That's correct as you pay taxes on your total earnings
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:24 - Jun 5 with 559 viewsWhiterockin

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:07 - Jun 5 by controversial_jack

Substitute income for earnings.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:38 - Jun 5 with 555 viewsraynor94

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:07 - Jun 5 by controversial_jack

I'd hardly call Old Age Pension earnings

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:50 - Jun 5 with 545 viewscontroversial_jack

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 11:38 - Jun 5 by raynor94

I'd hardly call Old Age Pension earnings

Well it is as it's been an investment, but would income sound better?
[Post edited 5 Jun 12:06]
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 12:04 - Jun 5 with 530 viewsBoundy

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 23:09 - Jun 4 by onehunglow

Yeah baby

Can't wait ,anchors

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 12:08 - Jun 5 with 526 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The fact that the OAP is a pay as you go system, today's NI contributions pay today's pensions, taxing the OAP is madness.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 14:35 - Jun 5 with 470 viewswaynekerr55

Even Dan Hodges is calling out Sunak's lies.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 15:05 - Jun 5 with 449 viewsAnotherJohn

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 14:35 - Jun 5 by waynekerr55

Even Dan Hodges is calling out Sunak's lies.

The £2K extra tax per household claim was indeed presented in a misleading way, although some Treasury figures had been incorporated into the Conservative Party document. That was a very silly thing to do. However, the fact remains that Labour's published spending plans are way above expected tax receipts, so that filling the "black hole" will mean one of: (a) making expenditure cuts somewhere else; (b) raising taxes; or (c) adding to public borrowing. After the Liz Truss fiasco, significant extra borrowing would be highly problematic for any new government, so it is probably (a) or (b). So far the targeted taxes mentioned (VAT on private school fees, non-doms, restore the LTA etc) don't bring in nearly enough, which is why people should be worried. Darren Jones, the Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, was pushed very hard on this on Times Radio this morning, and struck me as deeply unconvincing. He said the money would come from economic growth. As the interviewer said, "In the first year or two of the new government? Really?"
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 16:22 - Jun 5 with 405 viewswaynekerr55

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 15:05 - Jun 5 by AnotherJohn

The £2K extra tax per household claim was indeed presented in a misleading way, although some Treasury figures had been incorporated into the Conservative Party document. That was a very silly thing to do. However, the fact remains that Labour's published spending plans are way above expected tax receipts, so that filling the "black hole" will mean one of: (a) making expenditure cuts somewhere else; (b) raising taxes; or (c) adding to public borrowing. After the Liz Truss fiasco, significant extra borrowing would be highly problematic for any new government, so it is probably (a) or (b). So far the targeted taxes mentioned (VAT on private school fees, non-doms, restore the LTA etc) don't bring in nearly enough, which is why people should be worried. Darren Jones, the Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, was pushed very hard on this on Times Radio this morning, and struck me as deeply unconvincing. He said the money would come from economic growth. As the interviewer said, "In the first year or two of the new government? Really?"

You make some pertinent points as always, my question would be is why did Sunak need to lie? Baffles me

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 19:42 - Jun 5 with 352 viewsScotia

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 15:05 - Jun 5 by AnotherJohn

And this is the cost of the Tory manifesto promises.

From the Spectator.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/on-sunaks-maths-tories-will-lift-taxes-by-30

Oh dear. Rishi should have stayed schtum.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:03 - Jun 5 with 334 viewsGwyn737

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 19:42 - Jun 5 by Scotia

And this is the cost of the Tory manifesto promises.

From the Spectator.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/on-sunaks-maths-tories-will-lift-taxes-by-30

Oh dear. Rishi should have stayed schtum.

It’s an easy line for the next debate isn’t it?

“If Mr Sunak wasn’t lying about the Labour 2k tax rise figure, then the methodology showing the Tories will cost 50% more must be true”.

Of course in really they’re both lying - the tax burden is going to have to rise whoever is in charge.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:08 - Jun 5 with 322 viewsWhiterockin

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:03 - Jun 5 by Gwyn737

“If Mr Sunak wasn’t lying about the Labour 2k tax rise figure, then the methodology showing the Tories will cost 50% more must be true”.

Of course in really they’re both lying - the tax burden is going to have to rise whoever is in charge.

Or both could just say after the election that there is no money in the kitty and rather than increase the tax burden, they are going to scale down what was promised in the manifesto.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:11 - Jun 5 with 309 viewsGwyn737

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:08 - Jun 5 by Whiterockin

Or both could just say after the election that there is no money in the kitty and rather than increase the tax burden, they are going to scale down what was promised in the manifesto.

I think there are too many things that are broken even before manifesto promises not to increase tax.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:16 - Jun 5 with 294 viewsmax936

I massively increased my PP payments these last 5/6 years after years of not contributing, reading these posts I think I'll cancel my DD to my PP.
Not saving it for government to basically steal it.

Got to laugh really, we live in a free country yet government know exactly what money we got what accounts we got etc, yet most of those greedy starving fkers ferret their money away in some tax heaven /
[Post edited 5 Jun 22:15]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:21 - Jun 5 with 292 viewsWhiterockin

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:11 - Jun 5 by Gwyn737

I think there are too many things that are broken even before manifesto promises not to increase tax.

Tax always goes up Gwyn it just depends on the scale. If we want public spending to go up tax needs to go up to pay for it. The main issue for me is that it needs to be balanced and fair. £5 a week extra tax for some has a far greater impact than £20 for others, common sense needs to prevail whoever is in charge, it hasn't happened for years.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:25 - Jun 5 with 280 viewsScotia

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:03 - Jun 5 by Gwyn737

It would have been much easier not to introduce the two recent NI contribution cuts. Nothing more than an election gimmick that failed.
Sunak v Starmer tonight on 22:39 - Jun 5 with 223 viewsDJack

Sunak v Starmer tonight on 20:25 - Jun 5 by Scotia

It would have been much easier not to introduce the two recent NI contribution cuts. Nothing more than an election gimmick that failed.

This, all day long.

They are venal, coniving liars.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024