Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary O Neil the red card legend 23:20 - Apr 30 with 4288 viewsqueensparker

Doing a cracking job at Bournemouth, not easy to coast free of relegation with that team against the likes of Leeds, Everton and Chelsea.

Surely a shoe-in for our next “Rangers Legend” managerial appointment in 12 years time?
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 23:27 - Apr 30 with 4240 viewsPunteR

Good shout. I forgot about him tbh as that day was all about the Zamora goal. But Gary took one for the team that day.
I've no idea how Bournemouth play so I wouldn't put him in the frame for the QPR job but yeh , defo one to keep an eye out for in managerial terms.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 23:28 - Apr 30 with 4229 viewsWatford_Ranger

And making Scott Parker look like the little £700 cardigan cock he is for crying the players weren’t good enough.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 23:36 - Apr 30 with 4197 viewsPaddyhoops

Suberp although listening to a Bournemouth supporter on 5 live the other morning baffled me and I quote " we're not 100% sure about him ?? "
I turned the radio off at that point .
Mind-blowing.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 23:38 - Apr 30 with 4183 viewsDannyPaddox

100 % Unsung hero that day. Near the end of his career. A day out at Wembley. A loan player with no serious bonds to the team but literally took one for the team. First red card in a twenty-year career. Ooh Gary O’Neil! Love the bloke.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 02:00 - May 1 with 4027 viewsnumptydumpty

Remember watching footage of him in Wembley tunnel seeing Zamora s goal.

Probably Rangers most successful red card ever or worst ever if you consider the carnage that ensued the following season.

Was a player that did a job but barely noticed. Don't think he was ever captain material in his day but proving as also shown with "Lamps" being a decent player is no indicator to management potential.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 09:05 - May 1 with 3773 viewsbosh67

I think he's done a brilliant job. He's obviously got a great footballing brain and the respect of the players there. They play very attractive football. He's very understated and I think he is a great fit for them. He's a great fit for us perhaps one day but obviously having done it at Premiership level why would he take a step down. He'll always have his place in history here sacrificing himself for the good of the team that day and he was a very solid player for us when called upon. Pleased for him. One of the true good guys.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 09:53 - May 1 with 3700 viewsterryb

IMO he should be manager of the year for what he has achieved.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 09:54 - May 1 with 3696 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 23:27 - Apr 30 by PunteR

Good shout. I forgot about him tbh as that day was all about the Zamora goal. But Gary took one for the team that day.
I've no idea how Bournemouth play so I wouldn't put him in the frame for the QPR job but yeh , defo one to keep an eye out for in managerial terms.

And donated a tooth to the cause in the home semi against Wigan.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:12 - May 1 with 3561 viewsAntti_Heinola

Done an incredible job - huge respect for him for that.

I'm in the minority of one, however, over the Final. He, like the club that season, cheated. He's not a 'hero'. It was as bad as diving for a penalty.

Bare bones.

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:21 - May 1 with 3543 viewsPunteR

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:12 - May 1 by Antti_Heinola

I'm in the minority of one, however, over the Final. He, like the club that season, cheated. He's not a 'hero'. It was as bad as diving for a penalty.

He blatantly fouled the player to stop him from potentially scoring. He knew he'd get sent off. At Wembley. Yeh you have to file that as cheating but its different to diving in the box to win a penalty.
It's more noble (if that's the right word) to get yourself sent off than trying to get your opponent sent off. I know I'm clutching straws here..lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:34 - May 1 with 3522 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:21 - May 1 by PunteR

He blatantly fouled the player to stop him from potentially scoring. He knew he'd get sent off. At Wembley. Yeh you have to file that as cheating but its different to diving in the box to win a penalty.
It's more noble (if that's the right word) to get yourself sent off than trying to get your opponent sent off. I know I'm clutching straws here..lol

Yeah, I totally know no one agrees with me on this!, so not trying to change any minds, but it's how I feel. A deliberate foul like that to stop a goal is a thing I hate in football more than anything and while it's done with the expectation of punishment rather than reward from the ref, the ultimate reward is guaranteed (no goal), I don't see it as any better or worse than diving. Cheating is cheating.

Bare bones.

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 15:34 - May 1 with 3333 viewsderbyhoop

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:34 - May 1 by Antti_Heinola

Yeah, I totally know no one agrees with me on this!, so not trying to change any minds, but it's how I feel. A deliberate foul like that to stop a goal is a thing I hate in football more than anything and while it's done with the expectation of punishment rather than reward from the ref, the ultimate reward is guaranteed (no goal), I don't see it as any better or worse than diving. Cheating is cheating.

Sorry mate. Got to disagree.
In Professional football, whatever gets the right result is legitimate.
Bringing a player down to stop a certain goal is OK. And you can't complain when you get an automatic red card.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:23 - May 1 with 3273 viewsterryb

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 15:34 - May 1 by derbyhoop

Sorry mate. Got to disagree.
In Professional football, whatever gets the right result is legitimate.
Bringing a player down to stop a certain goal is OK. And you can't complain when you get an automatic red card.

I don't agree with this derby, but I do understand where your coming from.

It is no different though to diving for a penalty or deliberately scoring by punching the ball into the goal.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:36 - May 1 with 3237 viewsjohnhoop

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:23 - May 1 by terryb

I don't agree with this derby, but I do understand where your coming from.

It is no different though to diving for a penalty or deliberately scoring by punching the ball into the goal.

Surely the difference is that if diving for a penalty or punching the ball into the goal it only works if you succeed in conning the ref and don’t get punished for what you’ve done.
Whereas with what Gary O’Neil did it was obvious that both he and the team were going to be punished for it.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:41 - May 1 with 3224 viewsessextaxiboy

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 11:12 - May 1 by Antti_Heinola

I dont see that as cheatihg , he commtted a foul was sent off and the opposition had a free kick whiile we played out the game with 10 men . Apart from a yellow there is no jeopardy fot diving .
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:51 - May 1 with 3200 viewsterryb

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 16:36 - May 1 by johnhoop

Surely the difference is that if diving for a penalty or punching the ball into the goal it only works if you succeed in conning the ref and don’t get punished for what you’ve done.
Whereas with what Gary O’Neil did it was obvious that both he and the team were going to be punished for it.

Not every referee gives a free kick or a sending off!
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 19:40 - May 1 with 3064 viewsManinBlack

Interesting views on here. Getting sent off with over half an hour to play and potentially 30 minutes extra time on top, lends itself to think his sacrifice or cheating could have cost us. Many would argue better to let the guy score and there was enough time 11 v 11 to get back into the game.

As it was his actions meant we disappeared as an attacking force and it was a case of trying to hang on to penalties. So if you want to call it cheating then as a spectacle he spoilt it for us watching as it became attack v defence. He saved a potential goal but at the same time weakened our chances of winning even though he kept the score at 0-0.

When you look at downright cheating it wasn't as bad as the hand of God goal. Also in the same game how many England players like Fenwick got stick for not taking Maradona out before the second goal? Both pundits and fans reckoned Maradona should have been unfairly stopped in his tracks and none of them considered that to be cheating even if it had stopped one of the all time great goals.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 21:10 - May 1 with 3004 viewsNorthernr

Thought Bournemouth were certs, amazing turn around.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 22:47 - May 1 with 2916 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I agree with you, Antti. It doesn't annoy me or irk me like diving or feigning injury does but it probably should.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 17:35 - May 2 with 2689 viewsTGRRRSSS

The difference for me is you will get punished for it, with diving you could get someone else sent off and punished for cheating in that respect it's worse, for me anyway especially when people throw themselves around pretending to be seriously injured

AT the same time I get frustrated that few fouls are giving unless a player goes down.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 13:39 - May 4 with 2462 viewsfrancisbowles

Gary O Neil the red card legend on 22:47 - May 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree with you, Antti. It doesn't annoy me or irk me like diving or feigning injury does but it probably should.

It surely does though Brian, when it's us going through on goal and getting fouled.
Gary O Neil the red card legend on 14:09 - May 4 with 2399 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I understand your point but disagree. It was a unselfish act by a player who put the team above his personal reputation

Sure, Gary committed a professional foul but it didn't deny Derby a goal, it denied them a goal-scoring opportunity. The Derby player was outside the area when fouled and still had work to do to convert the chance. This is completely different to diving for a penalty which, if successful, is statistically far more likely to result in a goal as well as an opposition player being carded.

Ultimately, O' Neil was punished for the offence with a red card and Derby had 30 minutes to take advantage of playing against 10 men (plus the possibility of extra time). Had QPR gone on to lose, Gary would now be remembered very differently by QPR fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024