Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? 07:59 - Sep 21 with 5048 viewsLohengrin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62971626

”The absolute discharge sentence means Rahman committed the offence but will not face any punishment or order.”

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:34 - Sep 21 with 1120 viewsonehunglow

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:19 - Sep 21 by Sirjohnalot

Because he has not been convicted of anything whatsoever. It is akin to someone accusing you of a serious offence, you being able to say anything in your defence, me defending you, person repeating it in court and locking you up for ever in case you may have done it.

Criminal standard is ‘so that you are sure ‘ for a reason.

I’m not sure how you cannot see the dangers in what you’re suggesting,

Complainants do lie

As do many in Court

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:40 - Sep 21 with 1102 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:33 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

”Yea, they’ve not decided he’s raped someone, simply that an act of sex took place.”

”The jury found Rahman did the acts alleged. They were one count of rape of a child under 13 and two counts of sexual assault.”

‘The jury was therefore asked to determine whether Rahman did the acts alleged, instead of determining whether he was innocent or guilty.’

If you only hear from one side with no other input, it is almost inevitable that is what you will find for them.

If you’re in a bar and a woman says ‘Lohengrin touched me up’ and the bouncer, hearing that, takes you outside and gives you a kicking and puts you in hospital without letting you speak in case you did it in order to protect innocent victims, is that fair ?
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:40 - Sep 21 with 1097 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:34 - Sep 21 by onehunglow

As do many in Court

Exactly, so how can you lock someone up only hearing one side ?
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:45 - Sep 21 with 1084 viewsLohengrin

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:40 - Sep 21 by Sirjohnalot

You call it internment and give it the parliamentary fig-leaf of legality.

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:47 - Sep 21 with 1078 viewsLohengrin

‘The jury was therefore asked to determine whether Rahman did the acts alleged, instead of determining whether he was innocent or guilty.’

If you only hear from one side with no other input, it is almost inevitable that is what you will find for them.

If you’re in a bar and a woman says ‘Lohengrin touched me up’ and the bouncer, hearing that, takes you outside and gives you a kicking and puts you in hospital without letting you speak in case you did it in order to protect innocent victims, is that fair ?

Do cases really make it to court on a he said/she said basis? Isn’t there a threshold of proof that has to be crossed before Crown proceedings begin?

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:48 - Sep 21 with 1076 viewsonehunglow

I’m not in the Dock or am I.

I am concerned for victims more than perps so hang me .So to speak.

You’re in work mode John and it’s why I’m bailing out of this right here

Enjoy the rest of the evening

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:50 - Sep 21 with 1056 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:48 - Sep 21 by onehunglow

Judge Dredd is off on one again
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:54 - Sep 21 with 1051 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:48 - Sep 21 by onehunglow

Ok, not a problem. Have a lovely evening
Login to get fewer ads

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:01 - Sep 21 with 1030 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 20:47 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

Do cases really make it to court on a he said/she said basis? Isn’t there a threshold of proof that has to be crossed before Crown proceedings begin?

Yes, a realistic prospect of conviction, which is more than 50% but 10 years on, there will be no forensics, no cctv, there’ll be evidence, probably they knew each other, but nothing that will be tested.

In reality a person making a complaint, if they appear to be genuine, it is unlikely they will not be charged, bearing in mind he would not have been interviewed by the police.

Same thing has happened with that chap who ran at the Queen’s coffin.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:23 - Sep 21 with 1005 views73__73

A friend of mine asked me this morning who Wales are playing this week, and I told him I didn’t know.

International football is shite.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:23 - Sep 21 with 994 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:01 - Sep 21 by Sirjohnalot

Yes, a realistic prospect of conviction, which is more than 50% but 10 years on, there will be no forensics, no cctv, there’ll be evidence, probably they knew each other, but nothing that will be tested.

In reality a person making a complaint, if they appear to be genuine, it is unlikely they will not be charged, bearing in mind he would not have been interviewed by the police.

Same thing has happened with that chap who ran at the Queen’s coffin.

What you are describing is a police state. That will.make some on.here very happy.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:25 - Sep 21 with 995 viewsKeithHaynes

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:23 - Sep 21 by 73__73

A friend of mine asked me this morning who Wales are playing this week, and I told him I didn’t know.

International football is shite.

Off topic there mate.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:35 - Sep 21 with 975 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 21:25 - Sep 21 by KeithHaynes

Off topic there mate.

Probably a metaphor about mysteries of the criminal justice system
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 22:19 - Sep 21 with 938 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

If that was the case every defendant would remain silent.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 22:49 - Sep 21 with 923 viewsKeithHaynes

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 22:19 - Sep 21 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

If that was the case every defendant would remain silent.

In interviews they regularly do.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 06:17 - Sep 22 with 813 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 22:49 - Sep 21 by KeithHaynes

Yes they do but that is a conscious choice and are warned about the possible consequence of an inference being taken in the caution if they remain silent. This is not a choice.

It’s not someone saying ‘I’ve lost my mind’ and the court simply accepting it
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 09:37 - Sep 22 with 761 viewsonehunglow

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 22:49 - Sep 21 by KeithHaynes

Any career criminal will no comment as it provides time to contruct a defence and he can only do that when he know all which the Police will present.

There is always a chance some jury member will not have the self confidence to pppprofeer a guilty verdict a the Defence and Judge will emphasis reasonable doubt.What is reasonable is the key issue.

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:14 - Sep 22 with 746 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 09:37 - Sep 22 by onehunglow

Any career criminal will no comment as it provides time to contruct a defence and he can only do that when he know all which the Police will present.

There is always a chance some jury member will not have the self confidence to pppprofeer a guilty verdict a the Defence and Judge will emphasis reasonable doubt.What is reasonable is the key issue.

A suspect, doesn't have to justify themselves to the police, only to the court.Advice is never to engage with the police under any circumstances. It's easy to inadvertently incriminate yourself, as the police are experts at doing this.

If you are arrested and charged, it's because the police believe you are guilty and will do what it takes to convict you. They are not in the business of finding anyone innocent.

If you are innocent, then let them prove it if they have the evidence, there's no need to help them do so. Of course you will need a decent solicitor for advice.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:21 - Sep 22 with 740 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 09:37 - Sep 22 by onehunglow

Again, that is not true at all. Having been a solicitor before I transferred to the Bar, and represented 1000s of people in the police station, it is not right.

A lot depends on the strength of the case, lack of disclosure from the police, vulnerabilities of Def.

A no comment interview can be devastating, especially in front of a Jury. I make a huge play of it when prosecuting. Jurors don't like it.

Reasonable doubt has not been said for years , it is now 'so that you are sure' which, of course, is only right.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:23 - Sep 22 with 731 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:14 - Sep 22 by controversial_jack

A suspect, doesn't have to justify themselves to the police, only to the court.Advice is never to engage with the police under any circumstances. It's easy to inadvertently incriminate yourself, as the police are experts at doing this.

If you are arrested and charged, it's because the police believe you are guilty and will do what it takes to convict you. They are not in the business of finding anyone innocent.

If you are innocent, then let them prove it if they have the evidence, there's no need to help them do so. Of course you will need a decent solicitor for advice.

That's not correct. You hear 'never engage with the police' from people on twitter advising protestors who, quite frankly, have no idea what they're talking about. If anyone is ever arrested, get the duty solicitor if you do not have one. Giving a version of events, even by way of a prepared statement can be vital to a defence and the police must follow any reasonable lines of enquiry
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 11:40 - Sep 22 with 707 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:23 - Sep 22 by Sirjohnalot

That's not correct. You hear 'never engage with the police' from people on twitter advising protestors who, quite frankly, have no idea what they're talking about. If anyone is ever arrested, get the duty solicitor if you do not have one. Giving a version of events, even by way of a prepared statement can be vital to a defence and the police must follow any reasonable lines of enquiry

Of course, get a solicitor for police disclosure and go from there. Giving a prepared careful written statement is not the same as being questioned by skilled interrogators.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 699 viewsSirjohnalot

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 11:40 - Sep 22 by controversial_jack

Of course, get a solicitor for police disclosure and go from there. Giving a prepared careful written statement is not the same as being questioned by skilled interrogators.

Reason behind that is you can do a prepared statement, outlining your defence and then go 'no comment' that way you can avoid an inference being drawn as the caution says that an inference can be drawn if you fail to mention something that you later rely on in court.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 13:30 - Sep 22 with 665 viewsonehunglow

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 10:21 - Sep 22 by Sirjohnalot

Again, that is not true at all. Having been a solicitor before I transferred to the Bar, and represented 1000s of people in the police station, it is not right.

A lot depends on the strength of the case, lack of disclosure from the police, vulnerabilities of Def.

A no comment interview can be devastating, especially in front of a Jury. I make a huge play of it when prosecuting. Jurors don't like it.

Reasonable doubt has not been said for years , it is now 'so that you are sure' which, of course, is only right.

Are you ever wrong .?

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 13:42 - Sep 22 with 654 viewsmajorraglan

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 13:30 - Sep 22 by onehunglow

Are you ever wrong .?

He isn’t on this, it’s his profession and he’s current.
What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 13:48 - Sep 22 with 647 viewsonehunglow

What do you make of this, Sir John especially? on 13:42 - Sep 22 by majorraglan

He isn’t on this, it’s his profession and he’s current.

I was a custody officer for several years in a very busy Liverpool station.

Duty Solicitors were a daily event

Solicitors have a completely different perspective

Career criminals often won’t pass comment as it is simply a natural thing for them to do. Few cough and I’m sharing Jon s comments vis a vis no comment interviews as many would argue it is the right of a defendant to stay silent anyway so he had every right to stay Schaumburg.

And he has

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024