Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. 20:29 - Aug 29 with 1823 viewsLohengrin

It’s 1948 and George Orwell is dying of tuberculosis. His great friend The Observer editor David Astor approaches the Home Secretary to get permission to by-pass the BMA and fly over at his own expense a consignment of what is being hailed as the new wonder-drug, Streptomycin.

Cognisant, no doubt, of the professional good a kind word from Astor in the columns can do for a Labour politician the Home Secretary Chuter Ede signs the waiver and the consignment is flown over.

Now this is the fascinating bit: unfortunately Orwell proved allergic to the treatment and his last hope was gone, but he and Astor insisted that the drug ought not to be wasted and insisted the Doctor administered it among a few of his worst cases. This the Doctor did but of the five recipients at an East Lothian sanitarium only two went on to make a full recovery.

One of them was a young man who went on to become the King of rugby commentators: Bill McLaren. So, if not for Orwell’s allergy we’d have never have got to enjoy this…

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 22:28 - Aug 29 with 1755 viewsCatullus

"Bambi on speed"

They say if you catch him (Phil Bennett) you get to make a wish.

It's like tackling a snooker table about Lomu.

Commentators these days are so bland compared to the great Bill.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 00:05 - Aug 30 with 1730 viewsLohengrin

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 22:28 - Aug 29 by Catullus

"Bambi on speed"

They say if you catch him (Phil Bennett) you get to make a wish.

It's like tackling a snooker table about Lomu.

Commentators these days are so bland compared to the great Bill.

The whole of Wales, no doubt the whole rugby world, LOVED McLaren.

What an incredible chain of events linking him with Orwell that ultimately saved his life though. I was just astonished to discover that.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 08:48 - Aug 30 with 1657 viewsCatullus

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 00:05 - Aug 30 by Lohengrin

The whole of Wales, no doubt the whole rugby world, LOVED McLaren.

What an incredible chain of events linking him with Orwell that ultimately saved his life though. I was just astonished to discover that.

5 degrees Loh, I wonder what connects us?

It wasn't ust what Bill said, it was his delivery too.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:01 - Aug 30 with 1632 viewsonehunglow

Just wonderful

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:17 - Aug 30 with 1627 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

All the sports had legendary commentators back then. Simply because you could feel the passion and knowledge of the sport coming through. Not these flat packed identikit build in five minute commentators we get these days who sound bored to be there half the time.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:18 - Aug 30 with 1624 viewsonehunglow

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:17 - Aug 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

All the sports had legendary commentators back then. Simply because you could feel the passion and knowledge of the sport coming through. Not these flat packed identikit build in five minute commentators we get these days who sound bored to be there half the time.

Benaud
Coleman
Allis
McClaren
Walker
Weekes
Maskell
Carpenter

Nobody comes close.

Those around now are pallid in comparison

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 19:03 - Aug 30 with 1541 viewsbritferry

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:17 - Aug 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I just love an England rugby match, with Jonny, Woodenhead and Dayglo (wilkinson, woodwood & dallaglio), always get a nice un-biased view from those 3

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 19:32 - Aug 30 with 1516 viewsGwyn737

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 19:03 - Aug 30 by britferry

I just love an England rugby match, with Jonny, Woodenhead and Dayglo (wilkinson, woodwood & dallaglio), always get a nice un-biased view from those 3

Agreed. Although I think Brian Moore is up there with the best.
Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 19:57 - Aug 30 with 1495 viewsSirjohnalot

Thank you for this. He was the voice of my childhood, in the 80s, big bunch of grapes, chocolate and loads of crisps watching Wales in the 5 Nations at home. Wonderful times (not for Wales obviously : )
Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 21:41 - Aug 30 with 1443 viewsmajorraglan

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 10:18 - Aug 30 by onehunglow

Benaud
Coleman
Allis
McClaren
Walker
Weekes
Maskell
Carpenter

Nobody comes close.

Those around now are pallid in comparison

I’d add Sid Waddell to that list and in terms of football, I always liked Barry Davies who I thought was miles better than John Motson even though the latter seemed to get the big games and Tony Gubba.
Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 22:40 - Aug 30 with 1418 viewsbritferry

Brilliant facts you pick up along the way. on 19:32 - Aug 30 by Gwyn737

Agreed. Although I think Brian Moore is up there with the best.

I agree, he's very dry and knowledgeable with a bit of humour

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024