Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! 09:21 - Jun 8 with 1499 viewstkqpr

Hi all,
Im taking the wife to New York for her 40th next week with the kids, its what she always wanted. Flights and Hotel just outside Central Park Booked, The Wellington i believe, a basic hotel so we have to eat out for everything which isnt a problem.
3nights and 4 days to do what?? - Any suggestions please. Whats worth seeing?
We have a Harbour nights cruise trip planned on one night.
I see there are some 'City Passess' City Explorer Passes' Freestyle Passes???? it a bit confusing and im not sure if we'd make use of it, has anyone done the NY thing and can suggest worthwhile places/restuarants to go to?

Now we are from rural Lincolnshire and life long QPR fans so have managed to work out the Underground just over the years, but is the subway easy enough to use, or are the yellow cabs easier and as economical??

All advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 09:30 - Jun 8 with 1490 viewsKonk

Hopefully this thread will help - also contains links to other threads:

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/189494/new-york/#2

It's a fantastic city and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Safe travels.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 09:39 - Jun 8 with 1474 viewsloftboy

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 09:30 - Jun 8 by Konk

Hopefully this thread will help - also contains links to other threads:

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/189494/new-york/#2

It's a fantastic city and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Safe travels.

Buy the New York pass before you go, costs about $280 in advance and gets you into loads of stuff, I reckon I saved a couple of hundred dollars last month, we walked everywhere, only takes 40 minutes from 1st to 14th ave that way you miss nothing, try and do the circle line cruise, goes round the entire island, the 911 memorial is poignant, loads of Irish bars, price of a not quite a pint round Times Square $8 plus tax and tip! Walk down to Hell's Kitchen and the price drops to $4-5. I stayed a week for my 50th and loved every minute, favourite for me was a tour of Maddison square garden, but probably won't interest the mrs as much.
Beware of black blokes coming up to you saying "shake the hand of a black man" they're trying to get you to buy a cd.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 9:40]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 10:55 - Jun 8 with 1429 viewssmegma

Take a Circle Line Tour. It's a boat trip around the island of Manhattan ( I didn't even know it was an island!!) Some great views include Liberty Island, Yankies stadium etc.... Hire a bicycle and discover Central Park, it's absolutely huge, includes Strawberry Fields, a zoo, a fairground. There's a former flyover that runs down the middle of Manhattan which is a pedestrianised garden (where the Garden Bridge idea in London came from I think). When I was there in July a couple of years ago they had The Avenue Of The Americas (I think)closed off every weekend so everyone could walk from Chinatown in the south all the way to Central Park in the north, about 3-4 miles I think. There was live music and a festival atmosphere.
Do wipe your feet though as its one of the grimiest cities I've been to in recent times. It was absolutely spotless back in the 90s. It's because of Mexicans according to Trump no doubt.
40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 10:59 - Jun 8 with 1419 viewssmegma

Using the subway?? Like any city it's quite easy to use, if you struggle at any time just ask a local, they're really friendly. As for tickets, you can buy an oyster type card. You only need one as you can touch the card reader on the gates for each person. Depending how old your kids are, we carried our daughter through the turnstiles without paying, there's hardly any staff about to tell you other wise.
40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 22:40 - Jun 8 with 1284 viewswombat

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 10:59 - Jun 8 by smegma

Using the subway?? Like any city it's quite easy to use, if you struggle at any time just ask a local, they're really friendly. As for tickets, you can buy an oyster type card. You only need one as you can touch the card reader on the gates for each person. Depending how old your kids are, we carried our daughter through the turnstiles without paying, there's hardly any staff about to tell you other wise.

Walk everywhere , New York is a lot safer than it was years ago.
Great place to eat is Juniors ,typical American bar/diner just off Times Square, excellent food , staff and they don't rip you off due to its location .
Visit the 911 memorial
Don't bother with the Statue of Liberty , stay on the boat , get your pics and head to Ellis island instead
If you like Italian food , head to little Italy and eat outside

Walk the high line
Get to a show on broadway
Fantastic city , great people

Poll: which is your favouite foot

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 02:47 - Jun 9 with 1240 viewsBoston

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 10:55 - Jun 8 by smegma

Take a Circle Line Tour. It's a boat trip around the island of Manhattan ( I didn't even know it was an island!!) Some great views include Liberty Island, Yankies stadium etc.... Hire a bicycle and discover Central Park, it's absolutely huge, includes Strawberry Fields, a zoo, a fairground. There's a former flyover that runs down the middle of Manhattan which is a pedestrianised garden (where the Garden Bridge idea in London came from I think). When I was there in July a couple of years ago they had The Avenue Of The Americas (I think)closed off every weekend so everyone could walk from Chinatown in the south all the way to Central Park in the north, about 3-4 miles I think. There was live music and a festival atmosphere.
Do wipe your feet though as its one of the grimiest cities I've been to in recent times. It was absolutely spotless back in the 90s. It's because of Mexicans according to Trump no doubt.

NY was clean because a Mr Rudy Giuliani was the Mayor.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

40th BirthdayTrip to New York - Help!! on 08:31 - Jun 9 with 1212 viewsLblock

My offerings are on that other link.

Dont do the Subway -- if the weather allows then walk!
Do the open top bus tour one day as well.

Hoping to head there again in December

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024