Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who sees this . . . 17:03 - Dec 28 with 3979 viewsDavillin

After promising myself to not mention this again, I am overwhelmed by the fact that Shelvey is a pure liability. He's an attack killer and momentum depressant with his ever more creative ways to give the ball away. Even I'm impressed by the variety and frequency - negatively impressed, that is.

I refused to do the counting, but I'd bet that he just plain gave the ball away in the attacking half more often than the rest of the team combined.

Sorry to say this, but we'd have been better off today playing with ten men.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:07 - Dec 28 with 2586 viewsSwanfan1

We have very opposite views on Shelvey, I regard him as one of our "star" players and yes some of his deliveries were not good enough, but his a young guy, I tell you what next season his gonna be even better.
His best when he plays right behind the striker, because he makes the risky passes but also can dribble and shoot how many of our players can do that ?.

Poll: Bony´s lack of goals, whose to blame ?.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:08 - Dec 28 with 2560 viewsperchrockjack

H

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:09 - Dec 28 with 2551 viewsperchrockjack

He goes forward and shoots at the goal as opposed to others who don't.
disagree DAV

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:09 - Dec 28 with 2560 viewsandyofsa6

I have to agree with you for every decent pass that Shelvey makes he give the ball away about five times, he and a few of the other so called players should not even be on the pitch for us, we got level and then just sat back yet again. Perhaps we need to be in a battle to survive to see if these players are as good as we have been told.
Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:11 - Dec 28 with 2519 viewsBalhamSwan

is that the problem, everyone else is too scared to lose the ball, they play the simple pass and won't shoot
Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:21 - Dec 28 with 2438 viewsJackbustard

Our best player past few months for me.
Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:24 - Dec 28 with 2404 viewsSwanfan1

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:09 - Dec 28 by andyofsa6

I have to agree with you for every decent pass that Shelvey makes he give the ball away about five times, he and a few of the other so called players should not even be on the pitch for us, we got level and then just sat back yet again. Perhaps we need to be in a battle to survive to see if these players are as good as we have been told.

wow, aren´t u proper cünt ...
hoping we go into relagation battle, just so you can be proven right..

Am I the only one who sees this . . . (n/t) on 17:24 - Dec 28 with 2402 viewsLiberty

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:25 - Dec 28 with 2395 views2face

I see it as a fitness issue. He looked knackered after 70 minutes.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2013 17:27]
Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:26 - Dec 28 with 2386 viewsDull1Thomas

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:24 - Dec 28 by Swanfan1

wow, aren´t u proper cünt ...
hoping we go into relagation battle, just so you can be proven right..

Not sure I'd have put it like that but .. ain't that the truth and there are quite a few others.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:26 - Dec 28 with 2379 viewsSwanfan1

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:25 - Dec 28 by 2face

I see it as a fitness issue. He looked knackered after 70 minutes.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2013 17:27]

Yes, I thought Laudrup got it wrong when he subbed Lamah off for Pozuelo, Shelvey should have gone off for Pozuelo

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:29 - Dec 28 with 2355 viewsLiberty

Think Shelvey is one of our better players. Think he drops too deep at times and would prefer him to play more attacking role. Would like Leon to have played today in defence mid over canas, would have released Shelvey more. That said, at the end , after his knock would have taken Shelvey off and left Lamaa on.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:30 - Dec 28 with 2349 viewsunion_jack

JJS lacks mental and physical stamina I'm afraid but I believe he is a very good player and the type we have needed for sometime. I think more game time will strengthen him up.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:38 - Dec 28 with 2317 viewsSwanfan1

Last season I remember the critiques were
we were "too friendly" not enough aggression
with Shelvey that was the intention to add some more steel into our game.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:42 - Dec 28 with 2292 viewsItchySphincter

I wonder if the OP will get Perchie levels of abuse or will it go under the radar as the author typed it with his fingers rather than his thumbs?

For the record Dav, I disagree with you as I can accept not everything Shelvey tries to do works but he does try to do positive things. Now if you were talking about a certain defensive midfielder who reads the game well, intercepts well but can't seem to pass to a player on his own team then up might be on to something.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:02 - Dec 28 with 2208 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:09 - Dec 28 by perchrockjack

He goes forward and shoots at the goal as opposed to others who don't.
disagree DAV

But he misses every time. What use is that?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:05 - Dec 28 with 2200 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:30 - Dec 28 by union_jack

JJS lacks mental and physical stamina I'm afraid but I believe he is a very good player and the type we have needed for sometime. I think more game time will strengthen him up.

17 league games and 8 cups? Not enough yet? How much more damage should he cause before he moves to the U-21s to get game time?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2013 18:20]

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:07 - Dec 28 with 2181 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:11 - Dec 28 by BalhamSwan

is that the problem, everyone else is too scared to lose the ball, they play the simple pass and won't shoot

If you believe that, you haven't been watching our games with understanding. I can't think of more than one or two Premier League teams who are more daring and creative than Swansea.

That's not the issue with Shelvey. The problem is that he is not "too scared to lose the ball." That, or he can't not lose the ball. I think it's the latter.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:10 - Dec 28 with 2172 viewsexiledclaseboy

Shelvey's a good player. If anything sometimes he tries too hard and that can make him look silly at times. But a liability? Nah. That's unnecessarily cruel.

Poll: Tory leader

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:17 - Dec 28 with 2138 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 17:42 - Dec 28 by ItchySphincter

I wonder if the OP will get Perchie levels of abuse or will it go under the radar as the author typed it with his fingers rather than his thumbs?

For the record Dav, I disagree with you as I can accept not everything Shelvey tries to do works but he does try to do positive things. Now if you were talking about a certain defensive midfielder who reads the game well, intercepts well but can't seem to pass to a player on his own team then up might be on to something.

I reply here as respectfully as you did. Our major difference as I see it is that you "can accept that not everything Shelvey tries to do works" but he tries, while I see it as far too many of what he tries to do result in a loss of momentum or a lost attacking opportunity.

I am unable to put numbers on this, but there is some number of wasteful attacks I can accept in exchange for some number of successful ones, but in Shelvey's case the wasteful ones far outnumber the successful one. That's the definition of a liability.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:19 - Dec 28 with 2115 viewsunion_jack

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:05 - Dec 28 by Davillin

17 league games and 8 cups? Not enough yet? How much more damage should he cause before he moves to the U-21s to get game time?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2013 18:20]

Well I've not been counting Dav, but if you are right then more games obviously. But he will get there I am sure of that.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:21 - Dec 28 with 2099 viewsraynor94

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:02 - Dec 28 by Davillin

But he misses every time. What use is that?

Fulham?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:26 - Dec 28 with 2058 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:10 - Dec 28 by exiledclaseboy

Shelvey's a good player. If anything sometimes he tries too hard and that can make him look silly at times. But a liability? Nah. That's unnecessarily cruel.

Will you please define "liability" in footballing terms?

Is it not something along the lines that his negatives outweigh his positives? Or say, the number of chances his play wastes outnumber the chances his play creates?

Is the word "liability" itself "unnecessarily cruel," or is it the notion that he does the things I note above?

I could agree that he has the potential to be a good player, but for now, we do agree at least that "sometimes he tries too hard and that can make him look silly at times," if you will agree to some degree that his trying too hard and looking silly is a detriment to team success.

No?

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:28 - Dec 28 with 2049 viewsLiberty

Dav, who would be your creative midfielder ? Please not DeGuzman . Rather play with 10 men is a bit harsh on Shelvey. Better than most, willing to try something different and most passes come off.

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:33 - Dec 28 with 2031 viewsDavillin

Am I the only one who sees this . . . on 18:19 - Dec 28 by union_jack

Well I've not been counting Dav, but if you are right then more games obviously. But he will get there I am sure of that.

Thanks, union_jack. One of the stats I collect, but don't put on my Stats Page, is player contribution, separated by league games and cup games, with goals scored and cards given. The numbers of appearances for Shelvey are sound. The numbers are also kept on other websites, including the official site and, I believe, this one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024