Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huw on the front foot 08:37 - Nov 26 with 11192 viewsBilgolaSwan

following on from Huw getting stuck into Laudrup about "leagues within leagues"...

He is on the front foot about Man City on the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25096797
Huw on the front foot on 10:36 - Nov 26 with 2018 viewstomdickharry

Huw on the front foot on 10:27 - Nov 26 by Jackanapes

Speaking of caps, I think I saw him hat shopping the other day.

Really funny.
Huw on the front foot on 10:36 - Nov 26 with 2012 viewsScoobyWho

Huw on the front foot on 10:36 - Nov 26 by tomdickharry

Really funny.

If the cap fits

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Huw on the front foot on 10:52 - Nov 26 with 1992 viewsSpratty

Huw on the front foot on 10:33 - Nov 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Don't tell me, tell him !

Good idea

Will nip down and have a word whilst he's warming up (or strolling up and down as some people like to call it).
Huw on the front foot on 12:17 - Nov 26 with 1927 viewsJackFish

Huw on the front foot on 09:46 - Nov 26 by Viking_Jack

"Playing against the top sides, the fact that they will come and play us with their normal tactics without any change in preparation....". Those "normal tactics" that demolished Tottenham among others? So big teams don´t make any preparation for a team like Swansea? Does the manager/team not want to win against the top teams? I don´t know what Huw is about; he is a brilliant chairman, but I think - as some others have said before me - that it´s about time to leave manager matters to the manager, and if he has any problem with the manager´s approach then discuss it privately and not repeatedly play the wise guy about it in the public, because it´s not making him look good - well, at least not in my eyes...

I think he's got a point, although maybe not so much now. It was definitely noticeable that in our first season up, the big teams would come down the Liberty and play like they usually do, I'm thinking Man City and Arsenal in particular. They didn't change their tactics or formation to attempt to unsettle us or disrupt our play, because they thought they were good enough to win without doing that. Man Utd were the only big side to beat us at the Liberty in 11/12. Compare that to teams like Newcastle, Everton and Norwich, who came down and caused us far more problems.

Like I said though, I don't think it applies so much now, and I don't think it's particularly relevant for Sunday. We're going to have to put in our best performance of the season to get anything out of it.
Huw on the front foot on 12:22 - Nov 26 with 1919 views_

Huw on the front foot on 12:17 - Nov 26 by JackFish

I think he's got a point, although maybe not so much now. It was definitely noticeable that in our first season up, the big teams would come down the Liberty and play like they usually do, I'm thinking Man City and Arsenal in particular. They didn't change their tactics or formation to attempt to unsettle us or disrupt our play, because they thought they were good enough to win without doing that. Man Utd were the only big side to beat us at the Liberty in 11/12. Compare that to teams like Newcastle, Everton and Norwich, who came down and caused us far more problems.

Like I said though, I don't think it applies so much now, and I don't think it's particularly relevant for Sunday. We're going to have to put in our best performance of the season to get anything out of it.

Nobody is arguing with his opinions on football, we've all got them, he has a right to his own as well.

It's just this constant infatuation with talking to the press, especially about football matters.

Laudrup's first season spunked all over Rodgers. We won a cup and finished higher and went to Europe.

That not good enough for Huw?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Huw on the front foot on 12:35 - Nov 26 with 1907 viewsJackFish

I was just replying to Viking_Jack saying that Huw's comments weren't true... I tend to agree that he should stick to talking about the commercial and business side of things rather than football though.
Huw on the front foot on 12:38 - Nov 26 with 1901 views_

Huw on the front foot on 12:35 - Nov 26 by JackFish

I was just replying to Viking_Jack saying that Huw's comments weren't true... I tend to agree that he should stick to talking about the commercial and business side of things rather than football though.

Good post ;-)

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:48 - Nov 26 with 1886 viewsDevz00

[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 12:52]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Login to get fewer ads

Huw on the front foot on 12:52 - Nov 26 with 1873 viewsDevz00

That first season against Man U at the Liberty, I seem to remember that Fergie set them up like a European game.
They had Park Ji Sung playing in midfield who was there to hassle us, Hernandez up front on his own and Rooney back in midfield. So I think they approached our game a little differently to normal and they won.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 12:53]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Huw on the front foot on 13:08 - Nov 26 with 1852 viewsUxbridge

There's nothing in the actual quotes from Huw that anyone could take issue with. That coupled with none of us know the pretext for the interview and I'll have to conclude it's much ado about nothing.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Huw on the front foot on 13:12 - Nov 26 with 1846 viewsScoobyWho

Huw on the front foot on 13:08 - Nov 26 by Uxbridge

There's nothing in the actual quotes from Huw that anyone could take issue with. That coupled with none of us know the pretext for the interview and I'll have to conclude it's much ado about nothing.

It seems as well there is a more personal note to some of this than I am aware of.
Judging it as you have on the face of the facts its just another bbc story.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Huw on the front foot on 13:23 - Nov 26 with 1830 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw on the front foot on 10:08 - Nov 26 by ScoobyWho

Quote 1

"Quite rightly you've got to respect Man City but I also view it as a great opportunity for us to go out and show what we can do," he said.

Quote 2

"You've always got to have the hope that on the day they have an off day and we play well," Jenkins told BBC Radio Wales Sport.
"You've got to make sure that we're all focused and can try and concentrate on what we can do on the day and hope a bit of luck comes your way and you pick up a result.

Quote 3

"Playing against the top sides, the fact that they will come and play us with their normal tactics without any change in preparation, provides a lot of opportunities to pick valuable points during the season."

Quote 4

"I believe clubs like us can pick up points and wins in those games which will take the pressure off many of the so called games you should take wins out of.
"I firmly believe that's the right way to approach them."

What is the problem here ?
I agree a decent article on explaining the ticket issues, refunding fans or rewarding them with a generous offer for supprting europa games is better. But this is just a journo filling in the pieces on a tuesday afternoon.

Nothing more.

"But this is just a journo filling in the pieces on a tuesday afternoon."

....and this, ladies and gentleman, is exactly what causes problems.

Talk to the manager, not the press.
Huw on the front foot on 13:26 - Nov 26 with 1825 viewsViking_Jack

Thank you for commenting my post :). Yes, I also think the theory of how big teams don´t adapt their tactics to the tactics of Swansea was more relevant in the past seasons than this year. However, I don´t think Huw´s point - if that was his point (you rightly said that it probably wasn´t :))- serves as a good argument when it comes to whether we can win against the big teams or not in general. The concept of "normal tactics" is simply to loose (in my oponion :)). Take the game between Manchester City and Tottenham as an example. Manchester City applied their "normal tactics" (according to Pellegrini himself) and demolished Tottenham. But that raises two questions. 1) If Tottenham is a bigger club than Swansea (and we all know that it is) why didn´t Manchester City change their "normal tactics" (the same normal tactics that Pellegrini shouted so much about after the game)? And 2) if they indeed changed their tactics, isn´t that then a proof rather than a counter argument to whether there are leagues within the league? So either way, the argument doesn´t work, in my oponion. The concept of "normal tactics" is not precise enough to say anything about our chances against the big teams. I don´t know if it made my point any more clear :). The second, and more important, point - which I think you agreed- is that if Huw wants to have a mark on the tactics and the approach of the team he should keep his criticism private; otherwise he undermines the manager´s authority...
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 13:30]

Better a brief spell of honour than a long rule of shame

Huw on the front foot on 14:00 - Nov 26 with 1791 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Huw on the front foot on 10:15 - Nov 26 by Jackanapes

So you see nothing unusual in the fact that a chairman would expect us to go out ( I say it again.. EXPECT us to go out) and get a result against a team who have scored 13 goals in their last two home games.(6 goals a against a team that bitchslapped us all over the park two seasons in a row)
I can safely ignore you from here on in.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 10:20]

Have I missed something here?

Where does it say he expects us to get a result? Think he just wants us to try to play as we have shown we can in the past then if Man City don't turn up at 100% then there's the chance we can nick something.

Actually think the article just reinforces again that we are no longer trying to be little Swansea. Although virtually every club is small in money terms to Man City. Just look at 100m Spurs!!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Huw on the front foot on 17:11 - Nov 26 with 1718 views_

Huw on the front foot on 13:08 - Nov 26 by Uxbridge

Huw Jenkins talking about tactics, focus and approach for the next game up. One against a European giant.

No thanks, And, not his place. He's a roofer, and a bad one at that.

Huw on the front foot on 17:12 - Nov 26 with 1680 viewsDarran

Huw on the front foot on 17:11 - Nov 26 by _

Huw Jenkins talking about tactics, focus and approach for the next game up. One against a European giant.

A very poor personal post once again.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Huw on the front foot on 17:43 - Nov 26 with 1658 viewsSkipTheJack

I don't think Huw is trying to dictate tactics or team preparation. He's simply trying to foster the right mental approach for games like this.

I get the feeling that games against big clubs have been treated as something we just need to get out of the way in order to concentrate on the more winnable fixtures that follow. But the likes of West Brom, Villa, Sunderland and C**diff have shown that there are always unexpected points to be won with the right attitude.
Huw on the front foot on 17:56 - Nov 26 with 1641 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw on the front foot on 17:43 - Nov 26 by SkipTheJack

I don't think Huw is trying to dictate tactics or team preparation. He's simply trying to foster the right mental approach for games like this.

I get the feeling that games against big clubs have been treated as something we just need to get out of the way in order to concentrate on the more winnable fixtures that follow. But the likes of West Brom, Villa, Sunderland and C**diff have shown that there are always unexpected points to be won with the right attitude.

"I don't think Huw is trying to dictate tactics or team preparation. He's simply trying to foster the right mental approach for games like this."

The press isn't the place for it. The training ground and dressing room are.

It's also the manager's job, not the chairman's.
Huw on the front foot on 17:59 - Nov 26 with 1637 viewsJackanapes

Huw on the front foot on 14:00 - Nov 26 by PatchesOHoulihan

Have I missed something here?

Where does it say he expects us to get a result? Think he just wants us to try to play as we have shown we can in the past then if Man City don't turn up at 100% then there's the chance we can nick something.

Actually think the article just reinforces again that we are no longer trying to be little Swansea. Although virtually every club is small in money terms to Man City. Just look at 100m Spurs!!

Errr why dont you read the post I quoted. My post was aimed at that.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Huw on the front foot on 18:52 - Nov 26 with 1606 viewsreddythered

Huw on the front foot on 13:26 - Nov 26 by Viking_Jack

Thank you for commenting my post :). Yes, I also think the theory of how big teams don´t adapt their tactics to the tactics of Swansea was more relevant in the past seasons than this year. However, I don´t think Huw´s point - if that was his point (you rightly said that it probably wasn´t :))- serves as a good argument when it comes to whether we can win against the big teams or not in general. The concept of "normal tactics" is simply to loose (in my oponion :)). Take the game between Manchester City and Tottenham as an example. Manchester City applied their "normal tactics" (according to Pellegrini himself) and demolished Tottenham. But that raises two questions. 1) If Tottenham is a bigger club than Swansea (and we all know that it is) why didn´t Manchester City change their "normal tactics" (the same normal tactics that Pellegrini shouted so much about after the game)? And 2) if they indeed changed their tactics, isn´t that then a proof rather than a counter argument to whether there are leagues within the league? So either way, the argument doesn´t work, in my oponion. The concept of "normal tactics" is not precise enough to say anything about our chances against the big teams. I don´t know if it made my point any more clear :). The second, and more important, point - which I think you agreed- is that if Huw wants to have a mark on the tactics and the approach of the team he should keep his criticism private; otherwise he undermines the manager´s authority...
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 13:30]

Man Citeh's usual tactic is to play with pace going forward.

Spurs under AVB play a high backline with the Usain Bolt like Michael frigging Dawson central. Why on earth would Man Citeh change their tactics when they would be the way to play against Spurs?

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Huw on the front foot on 19:32 - Nov 26 with 1569 viewsViking_Jack

Huw on the front foot on 18:52 - Nov 26 by reddythered

Man Citeh's usual tactic is to play with pace going forward.

Spurs under AVB play a high backline with the Usain Bolt like Michael frigging Dawson central. Why on earth would Man Citeh change their tactics when they would be the way to play against Spurs?

Thanks for your comment :) I suggest you ask mr. Jenkins about that. He was the one who launched the idea that the big teams have "normal tactics" against smaller teams, like Swansea, and different tactics against big teams; not me.

Huw on the front foot on 19:51 - Nov 26 with 1548 viewsreddythered

Huw on the front foot on 19:32 - Nov 26 by Viking_Jack

Thanks for your comment :) I suggest you ask mr. Jenkins about that. He was the one who launched the idea that the big teams have "normal tactics" against smaller teams, like Swansea, and different tactics against big teams; not me.

I know, I was agreeing with you in a roundabout way.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Huw on the front foot on 19:54 - Nov 26 with 1545 viewsViking_Jack

Huw on the front foot on 19:51 - Nov 26 by reddythered

I know, I was agreeing with you in a roundabout way.

No problem :)

Huw on the front foot on 20:59 - Nov 26 with 1501 viewsWatchman

Huw on the front foot on 09:46 - Nov 26 by BilgolaSwan

Okay, BBC get an easy article from the chairman reinforcing comments he made a week or two ago.
HJ gets to send a mesage to the management, fans and the team that he expects them to go out and get a result against a top team, rather than settle for a defeat against a team "in a different league to them".

absolfurghinglutely

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Huw on the front foot on 21:09 - Nov 26 with 1491 viewsUxbridge

Huw on the front foot on 17:11 - Nov 26 by _

Maybe but he's also a very successful football club chairman. His opinion might carry some weight plus he's probably earned the right to express it when appropriate. Plus I happen to think he's right on this ...

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024