Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO older fans 22:17 - May 29 with 1021 views442Dale

Having another read of the 'Green Book' ( official history of Dale) and there are a couple of pictures from the famous 1971 cup run.

The question is what kit were we wearing in the games v Coventry and Colchester at Spotland? Although our home kit was blue, the black and white photos show Dale in a lighter strip - white or yellow? And why?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

FAO older fans on 22:31 - May 29 with 993 viewsTVOS1907

It's yellow and blue.

I remember asking Graham Smith why they wore that kit and he didn't know, although to be fair it was getting on for 40 years ago.

Coventry played in what I believe was green & black stripes, so I wonder if the referee thought our blue was too similar (maybe Coventry wore purple!) or if it was something to do with the floodlights fiasco.

Maybe the team decided to keep the kit for the Colchester game as a good luck omen.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FAO older fans on 22:35 - May 29 with 984 views442Dale

They could use that info as a marketing tool to sell this season's away kit!

FAO older fans on 22:38 - May 29 with 976 viewsTVOS1907

FAO older fans on 22:35 - May 29 by 442Dale

They could use that info as a marketing tool to sell this season's away kit!

Aye.

I've just looked at the Observer pages from both the Coventry and Colchester games and the respective programmes, but it doesn't appear to be mentioned.

Someone like BigKindo or Maybee might know.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FAO older fans on 04:20 - May 30 with 924 viewsdavidab2202

In the Ref's eyes there would have been a colour clash with Coventrys normal strip of light blue,and in those days I'm pretty sure that the rule was that in F A cup games both teams had to change their kit colour hence we played in yellow and blue-quite a nice combination if my memory serves me well,better then some of the questionable stuff we have had as change strips since
FAO older fans on 06:01 - May 30 with 914 viewsseasidedale

It was yellow and blue, it was donated by Trevor Butterworth (is he still going ?) they made it the change kit for several years afterwards and never won a game in it! When we went away games and saw what kit we were playing in, we used to groan and consider going back to the bar.
FAO older fans on 13:31 - May 30 with 820 views442Dale

FAO older fans on 04:20 - May 30 by davidab2202

In the Ref's eyes there would have been a colour clash with Coventrys normal strip of light blue,and in those days I'm pretty sure that the rule was that in F A cup games both teams had to change their kit colour hence we played in yellow and blue-quite a nice combination if my memory serves me well,better then some of the questionable stuff we have had as change strips since

Colchester were wearing their normal blue kit in the pictures.

FAO older fans on 13:44 - May 30 with 815 viewsmaybee

FAO older fans on 22:38 - May 29 by TVOS1907

Aye.

I've just looked at the Observer pages from both the Coventry and Colchester games and the respective programmes, but it doesn't appear to be mentioned.

I was at the games but honestly don't remember what kit we wore!!!

However, at the time, it was quite fashionable for teams to have a special kit for cup competitions, and I wonder if we were following others down this path.
FAO older fans on 13:52 - May 30 with 809 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

FAO older fans on 13:44 - May 30 by maybee

I was at the games but honestly don't remember what kit we wore!!!

However, at the time, it was quite fashionable for teams to have a special kit for cup competitions, and I wonder if we were following others down this path.

I wonder if Keith Hill ever considered that as an option....the club could have sold on the player issue kits as 'like new'..!!
Login to get fewer ads

FAO older fans on 11:21 - May 31 with 700 viewspioneer

FAO older fans on 13:31 - May 30 by 442Dale

Colchester were wearing their normal blue kit in the pictures.

I havent checked the book but I think Colchester played in all red, because of the rule at the time that both teams changed.
FAO older fans on 13:23 - May 31 with 659 views442Dale

FAO older fans on 11:21 - May 31 by pioneer

I havent checked the book but I think Colchester played in all red, because of the rule at the time that both teams changed.

Looks like blue shirts and shorts and white socks which was their home kit at the time.

FAO older fans on 13:54 - May 31 with 641 viewsBigKindo

FAO older fans on 22:38 - May 29 by TVOS1907

Aye.

Sorry cannot recall what colours we played in.
FAO older fans on 14:29 - May 31 with 620 viewsdale58

FAO older fans on 11:21 - May 31 by pioneer

I'm 100% sure they played in all red and the kit change of ours was to do with a clash with coventry

The Avi is Dave Cross Forgotten Legend

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024