Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Franchise fans got to get this off my chest 10:56 - Jan 18 with 7023 viewsloftboy

Firstly I can understand kids and teenagers supporting them as they know no difference but last night there were a fair few groups of 40 something's, now I can't see them being Ex Wimbledon fans do who the hell were they supporting 10 years ago and why change?
Secondly singing songs like " sit down or we'll steal your club" isn't funny and can't they see what is wrong with it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:17 - Jan 18 with 1113 viewstoboboly

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:09 - Jan 18 by DevonWhite

Fantastic support for a L1 side? I'd expect a League 1 side in an FA Cup tie away to a Premier League team to sell out straight away.

The problem with McDons is, as pointed out above, they cheated their way to the level they're at. If MK wanted a professional football club then fine, Winkleman could have invested in MK City or one of the other grassroots teams already in the city. And then pumped some money in and worked their way up the pyramid like everyone else has to.

It's a disgrace and it's alarming that many QPR fans are happy to just forget about the past and let them off the hook.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Agree. I hate them with a passion and hope they go under asap.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:23 - Jan 18 with 1097 viewsYorkRanger

Milton Keynes Dons on 11:58 - Jan 18 by Spaghetti_Hoops

I agree. MK Dons are a well run progressive club and I wish them all the best. Can't get bothered with ancient grievances myself. Sad.

Spaghetti - I'm not saying they aren't a well run club. Suspect you may have a different view if things had panned out differently and they were now MK Rangers
Milton Keynes Dons on 12:26 - Jan 18 with 1093 viewswestolian

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:23 - Jan 18 by YorkRanger

Spaghetti - I'm not saying they aren't a well run club. Suspect you may have a different view if things had panned out differently and they were now MK Rangers

If's, but's and maybe's

They aren't my club so frankly, i couldn't care less about them either way !!

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 1082 viewsA40Bosh

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:03 - Jan 18 by benbu

Finally some sense re MK dons!

Their support was fantastic last night for a league 1 club, I dont see why so many Rangers fans even give a toss about them all this 'franchise' rubbish and not proper wimbledon.... bla bla bla They played really well in the 2 games and are a club on the up and good luck to them! they attracted 19,500 for the initial match (more than our ground holds) and bought 2000 last night to ours - come on give them some credit people!

FUlly agree with these posts.

There are some fans on here, some sort of illuminati, moral high ground takers who cannot understand why anyone would want to support MK Dons, "they cheated their way to a position in the league" - when was that, actually it was so long ago now that I cannot remember and neither do I care.
"They have no and cannot have a history" - errr, if they are still in operation in 50+ years, then err, by default they will have a history - oh but maybe not a sanitised, forum posters approved "history".
Its the same with - "why would anyone want to support Chelsea?" who gives a toss.

MK is a large town, it now has a local club which has been attracting local support, and it is not fair to assume that all their regular support are Man U fans who just happen to want to see a football match and it suits their needs.

Some time the high handed nature of some of the posters on here makes me sick.

Get over yourselves.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 1072 viewswombat

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:02 - Jan 18 by Juzzie

"Matchday scarves" another modern ill.

I still see people wearing the Chelsea and Man U matchday scarves as if to say "oooh, look at me, I was at those games."

Why anyone would want Chelsea or Man U logos next to QPR is beyond me. I'd burn that half of the scarf if I had a lighter on me.

im with u on this one thing i detest is the half and half scarfs whoever brought them into the club should be locked in a room with freeseat pete for an hr

ill burn any I see at the 4th round game

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 1071 viewsHayesender

They also need to get rid of the "Dons" in their name asap

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:47 - Jan 18 with 1040 viewsJuzzie

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:31 - Jan 18 by Hayesender

They also need to get rid of the "Dons" in their name asap

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/dropthedons

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:49 - Jan 18 with 1033 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:23 - Jan 18 by YorkRanger

Not really York. We have supported our club through its dodgy times. Sending cheques. Chucking money in buckets. Keep turning up when things were grim. Lifes a competition. Football clubs go to the wall. Wimbledon didn't try hard enough or care deeply enough about their club until it was too late imo.

The football world is better off with MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon. New life.
Login to get fewer ads

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:53 - Jan 18 with 1010 viewsYorkRanger

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:31 - Jan 18 by A40Bosh

FUlly agree with these posts.

There are some fans on here, some sort of illuminati, moral high ground takers who cannot understand why anyone would want to support MK Dons, "they cheated their way to a position in the league" - when was that, actually it was so long ago now that I cannot remember and neither do I care.
"They have no and cannot have a history" - errr, if they are still in operation in 50+ years, then err, by default they will have a history - oh but maybe not a sanitised, forum posters approved "history".
Its the same with - "why would anyone want to support Chelsea?" who gives a toss.

MK is a large town, it now has a local club which has been attracting local support, and it is not fair to assume that all their regular support are Man U fans who just happen to want to see a football match and it suits their needs.

Some time the high handed nature of some of the posters on here makes me sick.

Get over yourselves.

Not high handed at all - the game is all about opinions. I was born and bred in Tooting and saw a lot of Wimbledon in their lower league days at Plough Lane. Maybe I just have stronger views on this than others.
Milton Keynes Dons on 13:02 - Jan 18 with 984 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:49 - Jan 18 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Not really York. We have supported our club through its dodgy times. Sending cheques. Chucking money in buckets. Keep turning up when things were grim. Lifes a competition. Football clubs go to the wall. Wimbledon didn't try hard enough or care deeply enough about their club until it was too late imo.

The football world is better off with MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon. New life.

Fair enough Mr. Gekko!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:06 - Jan 18 with 971 viewsloftboy

A lot of have you haven't answered question 1, who were these middle aged blokes supporting 6 years ago and why would you change?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:12 - Jan 18 with 950 viewsWatford_Ranger

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:06 - Jan 18 by loftboy

A lot of have you haven't answered question 1, who were these middle aged blokes supporting 6 years ago and why would you change?

I guess some are ex-Wimbledon fans. Given the choice I'd have gone with AFCW but each to their own. Then there's a load who did support United, Liverpool etc. who started going along to MK. These people won't have been particularly diehard to their old clubs and probably still look out for their results and news but now consider themselves MK fans. I guess the lure of regular, affordable football attracts some people, particularly if they've never had a proper connection to their first club due to being a bit of a gloryhunter. The guy who was interviewed on here used to be a United fan I think from memory.
Milton Keynes Dons on 13:15 - Jan 18 with 940 viewsA40Bosh

Milton Keynes Dons on 12:53 - Jan 18 by YorkRanger

Not high handed at all - the game is all about opinions. I was born and bred in Tooting and saw a lot of Wimbledon in their lower league days at Plough Lane. Maybe I just have stronger views on this than others.

York,

In fairness, my response was more of a general rant about some peoples' attitude towards the supporting of other clubs not just the MK Dons

I am also in a particularly edgy frame of mind today for some reason which did not help.

Oh, just remembered, it because I had to spend an hour in a meeting with my boss who is a complete prat at 9am this morning.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:19 - Jan 18 with 930 viewshoopdog

I would have more respect for them had they moved Barnet up to mk ,at least the Barnet fans would have moved with them
Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 928 viewsqprxtc

It seems a few on here have forgotten or didn't know that when we were in the sh!t 10 years ago, Winkleman tried it on with us.

So you could all have been travelling up to MK to watch some Frankenstein's Monster version of QPR. Mk Rangers? Still, it didn't happen to us so who gives a f*ck about Wimbledon......

Mk Dons are not/never will be a football club. Thay are the bastards of the football world. I wish them every footballing ill going. Those people following them last night are not football fans.

It's not about their history or lack of it, it's about Hayes & Yeading, Wrexham, Basingstoke etc. Every other club trying to better themselves, having that small opportunity of hope.

Not stealing another club and making it your own.

F*ck off and die 'Mk Dons'.
Milton Keynes Dons on 13:23 - Jan 18 with 900 viewsYorkRanger

Milton Keynes Dons on 13:15 - Jan 18 by A40Bosh

York,

In fairness, my response was more of a general rant about some peoples' attitude towards the supporting of other clubs not just the MK Dons

I am also in a particularly edgy frame of mind today for some reason which did not help.

Oh, just remembered, it because I had to spend an hour in a meeting with my boss who is a complete prat at 9am this morning.

...and I may have been over sensitive - although working from home today so no excuse!
Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:29 - Jan 18 with 880 viewstoboboly

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:20 - Jan 18 by qprxtc

It seems a few on here have forgotten or didn't know that when we were in the sh!t 10 years ago, Winkleman tried it on with us.

So you could all have been travelling up to MK to watch some Frankenstein's Monster version of QPR. Mk Rangers? Still, it didn't happen to us so who gives a f*ck about Wimbledon......

Mk Dons are not/never will be a football club. Thay are the bastards of the football world. I wish them every footballing ill going. Those people following them last night are not football fans.

It's not about their history or lack of it, it's about Hayes & Yeading, Wrexham, Basingstoke etc. Every other club trying to better themselves, having that small opportunity of hope.

Not stealing another club and making it your own.

F*ck off and die 'Mk Dons'.

Best post.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 13:58 - Jan 18 with 835 viewsJuzzie

MK Dons fans singing "no one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don't care....."

Nicking another clubs song too as well as merely nicking another club.

I wonder if any 'wall fans were watching.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 14:12 - Jan 18 with 810 viewsTom

I'm a QPR fan who lives in MK and I've lived here since 1975 when my parents moved from Hayes.

Thankfully we've still got family around that area so growing up we've always gone to QPR games, meeting up with other family members and we still go now.

However one of my brothers fell in with a crowd at school and him and his mates used to go to Wimbledon games, all were at the cup final in 88, of those some now follow AFC, some follow MK Dons and some don't really follow any club any more as 'their' club no longer exists.

Over the years since they club moved this has led to many conversations, many of them very drunken conversations - but the guys all follow their own teams and don't have a lot on interest in the other team, it's only ever dragged up by other fans, AFC and Dons fans seem to ignore each other.

As for those people in MK, a lot of people moved to MK from all over London in the 1970's and 1980's, they would all support teams, hence there are lots of QPR, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Millwall, Charlton, Palace, Old Wimbledon (and all other London clubs) around MK

My father in law is a Millwall fan who used to go to a lot of games when he lived in London, but after moving to MK in the late 70's he stopped going to games , a combination of factors, after playing football in the morning he'd have trouble getting to London for a 3pm kick off - not everyone had cars in the 70's, spending 2 hours each way traveling to games on your own is not much fun, he had a young family, financial commitments such as buying a new house and as always live football is something that it is easy to get out of the habit of going to.
I believe that still holds true, I've had season tickets in the past but now have a young family and cannot afford to go to every game, fortunately my kids are just starting to get into football so hopefully I'll start getting to more games over the next couple of years - at the moment it's only about 10 to 15 games per season.

Anyway I believe that a lot of people got out of the habit of going to live football in MK, some of them now are getting back into it by following the dons, personally I've only ever been to the stadium once and that was our game, but I have a lot of friends who 'follow' various teams and enjoy either taking their children to the dons games or meeting up with friends for a couple of pints, followed by a game of football - nothing wrong with that, it's what we've all being doing for years.

Again I think Wimbledon relocating was a bad decision by the FA and I would like to think that they wouldn't allow it to happen again

And I don't like cheese!

but then would people go to games every week

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 14:23 - Jan 18 with 795 viewsMonahoop

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:02 - Jan 18 by Juzzie

"Matchday scarves" another modern ill.

I still see people wearing the Chelsea and Man U matchday scarves as if to say "oooh, look at me, I was at those games."

Why anyone would want Chelsea or Man U logos next to QPR is beyond me. I'd burn that half of the scarf if I had a lighter on me.

More like they follow who is doing best at a certain time. One week a Chelsea follower, the next a Man Utd follower such is the nature of the beast of being a glory hunter. Now if you think that a trifle odd then here's a thing. There is a bizarre family in my local town who all appear to dress in any football tops that take their fancy. I say any team loosely as they wear the colours of three clubs, Chelsea one day, the next day Man Utd and may be another day they are sporting Liverpool tops.One of them even wore a Liverpool hat and a Man Utd top!! This is bringing glory hunting to a totally new level. If it wasn't so ridiculous it would be funny.

Anyway back to Franchise. The original poster empathised with their young and up coming supporters. Fair enough. But what of those older fans? Now I mentioned this in a post on a similar subject about three weeks ago. Either some decided to support Franchise without ever following anyone in particular or they have jumped ship from other clubs. I would suspect the latter more likely. My wife's cousin, a Charlton fan, lived in MK. He watched a few games but only as a neutral. He told me last year that many people he spoke to were more than happy to stop supporting whoever before to follow this new team instead. When he questioned the subject of loyalty he said he would get laughed at or told this is the way of the world now or words to that effect.
To me, I feel angry about this. Loyalty means everything when following a team. It's ok as a football follower to go and watch another team now and then, but to switch support is simply not on.
I'm so glad we won last night regardless of how we played. The thought of losing at home to that artificial shower just wouldn't have been worth thinking about.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 14:54 - Jan 18 with 758 viewsA40Bosh

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 14:23 - Jan 18 by Monahoop

More like they follow who is doing best at a certain time. One week a Chelsea follower, the next a Man Utd follower such is the nature of the beast of being a glory hunter. Now if you think that a trifle odd then here's a thing. There is a bizarre family in my local town who all appear to dress in any football tops that take their fancy. I say any team loosely as they wear the colours of three clubs, Chelsea one day, the next day Man Utd and may be another day they are sporting Liverpool tops.One of them even wore a Liverpool hat and a Man Utd top!! This is bringing glory hunting to a totally new level. If it wasn't so ridiculous it would be funny.

Anyway back to Franchise. The original poster empathised with their young and up coming supporters. Fair enough. But what of those older fans? Now I mentioned this in a post on a similar subject about three weeks ago. Either some decided to support Franchise without ever following anyone in particular or they have jumped ship from other clubs. I would suspect the latter more likely. My wife's cousin, a Charlton fan, lived in MK. He watched a few games but only as a neutral. He told me last year that many people he spoke to were more than happy to stop supporting whoever before to follow this new team instead. When he questioned the subject of loyalty he said he would get laughed at or told this is the way of the world now or words to that effect.
To me, I feel angry about this. Loyalty means everything when following a team. It's ok as a football follower to go and watch another team now and then, but to switch support is simply not on.
I'm so glad we won last night regardless of how we played. The thought of losing at home to that artificial shower just wouldn't have been worth thinking about.

Monahoop,

Your last sentence is the crux of my argument. It is based on opinions and you have just expressed a valid one.

However, to put it simply, there is no Football Supporters Handbook, with the rules and regulations on how a supporter must behave from cradle to grave.

People's support of the game reaches many levels. Some treat it as their life, some treat it as their passion, others treat it as their pastime, others treat it as a hobby, others have a fleeting interest when they have the money or inclination to go and see a team that they have had an affiliation with at some point in the past.

With the mates I have or have had, there will always be........

someone who will move the date of his wedding because it clashes with his teams unexpected fixture

someone who will make enquiries that the hotel he is getting married in has a TV which him and his mates can watch or keep tabs on the game during the day

someone who will record the match and watch it after his post nuptual bang at 3am in his hotel room

someone who will record the match and watch it when he gets back from his honeymoon.

someone who will catch the highlights

someone who will check the score in the paper next day

Each one of these is a supporter of the same football club.

Likewise, if someone decides to start supporting QPR for their childhood, switches to Arsenal during their teens and then when they move to MK later in life later decides to start supporting their local team, it's fair enough.

There are no rules.

I get what you are saying and otheres who were existing supporters of Wimbledon and who watched their local club destroyed, but if some chose to continue supporting the franchised version, then they obviously had their own personal reasons for doing so.

There are no rules, people are entitled to do what best pleases them.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 15:35 - Jan 18 with 730 viewsMonahoop

Point taken about no rules on supporting clubs Bosh, but personally it grates with me and a few others on here.

If you happened to have bumped into one of those Franchise 'fans' last night and he told you he once followed QPR, how would you have reacted? Would you -
Ignore him.
Ignore him and curse for hours under your breath.
Shake his hand and say "fair cop mate."
Call him all the unpleasant names you could come up with.
Have a deep meaningful conversation about life in general and then when finished give him a swift kick in the gonads.
Ensure his dental surgeon will be a lot richer the next day.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 15:42 - Jan 18 with 716 viewsA40Bosh

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 15:35 - Jan 18 by Monahoop

Point taken about no rules on supporting clubs Bosh, but personally it grates with me and a few others on here.

If you happened to have bumped into one of those Franchise 'fans' last night and he told you he once followed QPR, how would you have reacted? Would you -
Ignore him.
Ignore him and curse for hours under your breath.
Shake his hand and say "fair cop mate."
Call him all the unpleasant names you could come up with.
Have a deep meaningful conversation about life in general and then when finished give him a swift kick in the gonads.
Ensure his dental surgeon will be a lot richer the next day.

It would not bother me in the slightest to be honest mate. Can't get too excited about the matter, other than spouting of liberatarian views to numb the boredom at work today.

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 16:04 - Jan 18 with 692 viewsBazWoT

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 12:05 - Jan 18 by Juzzie

"they attracted 19,500" No, they didn't. They attracted 13,500 as we had 6,000 there ourselves.

We had a lot more than that, in the second half, loads who were in the home stands moved to the away end, it was basically full in the second half and those two blocks hold 8,100.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 16:42 - Jan 18 with 661 viewsthemodfather

Franchise fans got to get this off my chest on 16:04 - Jan 18 by BazWoT

We had a lot more than that, in the second half, loads who were in the home stands moved to the away end, it was basically full in the second half and those two blocks hold 8,100.

it was a big game for them....
not too far too travel....
they are doing well in their lge....
i guess they had 2000 there, which is good
but they have

no history
are disliked for the "franchise" thing
a town of roundabouts and if they "progress" it'll be a nightmare to and from the ground as shoppers won't go elsewhere, as nowhere else and more fans means more traffic,delays and packed pavements. they need a "shuttle" train station .
the tv wanted a upset, they wanted to big up the underdogs but i doubt i care what strachan,ian wright,andy townsend etc say and they only said anything for the ££££££££££££££££.
WE WON, WE ARE THROUGH...NOW WE'LL BE "MOTIVATED" AS IT'S CHELSKI.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024