Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can this team play Marti ball? 20:07 - Sep 21 with 2275 viewsdmm

As I understand it, Marti wants us to be a positional play side where players stick to a pre-determined formation and patterns of play. It's basically what Guardiola does. My question is: can this team do it?

Today, as with other games, we were slow to build from the back with players often static and seemed almost to wait for something to happen. I wonder if they're so focused on where they are meant to be, particularly playing out from the back, that this slows down our movement and passing. It was noticeable our goal came from a more intuitive move with Cook passing forward, Dembele carrying the ball forward and Frey applying the finish, and all done at speed.

I know this is not 'de rigeuer' but I am wondering if Marti has got this approach wrong.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 20:57 - Sep 21 with 2113 viewsbosh67

'It was noticeable our goal came from a more intuitive move with Cook passing forward, Dembele carrying the ball forward and Frey applying the finish, and all done at speed.'

I think Marti wants a lot more of that and he's trying to get the team to take the handbrake off. Normally it is the manager putting the handbrake on. Not in this case though.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can this team play Marti ball? on 21:21 - Sep 21 with 2079 viewsAntti_Heinola

pretty astounded by some of the lack of patience on here.

people do remember we were 2 games from relegation a few months ago, yeah? and it's almost a brand new team, yeah?

I'm not saying don't criticise or don't have expectations, but eff me.

Bare bones.

Can this team play Marti ball? on 21:46 - Sep 21 with 1949 viewsbosh67

Can this team play Marti ball? on 21:21 - Sep 21 by Antti_Heinola

people do remember we were 2 games from relegation a few months ago, yeah? and it's almost a brand new team, yeah?

I agree and think this is a team trying to gel together - and without it's best player. The fact that we aren't losing games and capable of getting back into games from a losing position is a step forward. I think Marti wants to see the team play with more freedom but at the moment they are still trying to find a rhythm. He is obviously seeing more of that on the training pitch than on match day at the moment but I take huge encouragement that the team is already hard to beat and doesn't really lose often. A good base to grow from. I also agree that the fans expectations are way too high. This season is about being a comfortable mis table team and pushing on from there if we can.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can this team play Marti ball? on 22:40 - Sep 21 with 1813 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think it's a great question, and one we'll find out in time. If we can get more players showing for the ball then we'll have more variety and be so much harder to contain, and I could see us stepping up a big level. It's potentially very exciting. Right now, we're too static, as you say.

On a side note, I think it was Andersen who played the quick ball to release Dembelé?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Can this team play Marti ball? on 09:53 - Sep 22 with 1394 viewsFDC

Agree, it's a fair question. We've said for years we want to see an identity and a consistent approach to how we play. Martì has a particular style he wants to develop, which is progressive and nuanced. We've made a lot of signings but on a small budget, so it's a big challenge to transform this squad. It will take time and if we get there at all it will be a tremendous achievement. And the fact it will inevitably take time is potentially to our advantage in that it might mean we hold onto cifiuentes for a while longer!

The question of whether this current team can do the things Martì wants it to is imo an open question for now. Chair coming back in might improve our ability to move through the thirds more quickly. I still think Madsen is an important factor, I've always assumed his role was as an 8, driving us up the pitch. He's not shown that yet really, but over the course of the season who knows.
[Post edited 22 Sep 9:54]
Can this team play Marti ball? on 10:09 - Sep 22 with 1362 viewsGaryBannister86

Yep - I always understand frustrations, especially after a pretty poor home performance, but considering the rubbish that we've put up with for quite a few seasons now I think the criticism is a little over the top.

Especially as we have Frey scoring goals, the potential of Dembele, Saito looked more impactful, Nardi coming good, the best defensive back four for many a year...

Yes something isn't quite working, but I have every confidence in Marti to fix it. And probably with Chair.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 10:25 - Sep 22 with 1312 viewsjohncharles

I thought that was a fair and reasonable comment from dmm. We all love Marti but the team was so slow we were almost in reverse. At times was missing Colback just to put some Ooomph into the game.

Strong and stable my arse.

Can this team play Marti ball? on 10:43 - Sep 22 with 1218 viewsWokingR

Can this team play Marti ball? on 10:25 - Sep 22 by johncharles

I thought that was a fair and reasonable comment from dmm. We all love Marti but the team was so slow we were almost in reverse. At times was missing Colback just to put some Ooomph into the game.

I agree, and didn’t read the opening post as a criticism or impatience at all.
Also agree that we are very slow and pedestrian at times.
When he came, we were told his whole philosophy revolved around pressure, with the aim of winning the ball back within 5 seconds of losing it.
Not sure we have seen any of that.
Login to get fewer ads

Can this team play Marti ball? on 11:17 - Sep 22 with 1086 viewsNed_Kennedys

Can this team play Marti ball? on 21:46 - Sep 21 by bosh67

I agree and think this is a team trying to gel together - and without it's best player. The fact that we aren't losing games and capable of getting back into games from a losing position is a step forward. I think Marti wants to see the team play with more freedom but at the moment they are still trying to find a rhythm. He is obviously seeing more of that on the training pitch than on match day at the moment but I take huge encouragement that the team is already hard to beat and doesn't really lose often. A good base to grow from. I also agree that the fans expectations are way too high. This season is about being a comfortable mis table team and pushing on from there if we can.

Where do you get your opinions that the fans’ expectations are too high?
Can’t see anyone expecting we will batter teams or push towards promotion but that’s now three home league games without a win which is clearly a big concern and yesterday’s performance was very poor. The build up and transition from defence to attack was on the whole woeful yesterday and needs to improve: I’m sure Cifuentes is on it but it’s very frustrating to watch.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 11:38 - Sep 22 with 1011 viewsWatfordR

Think this is spot on. In a world where everyone expects everything now, it's worth reminding ourselves that sometimes you have to work for a long time to achieve what you want to achieve.

I am reminded of watching Liverpool 20 years or so back trying to transition into a passing team, and how uncomfortable and alien one and two touch football looked to them. But it needed to be done, because that's how the game was going. We need to do what we are doing because that's where the game is going.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 12:31 - Sep 22 with 936 viewsJamesB1979

Yeah I think patience is key this season for us, the club and the players. Lot of new players and no Willock and Chair yet to feature. If you trust the manager and also like the type of player we sign, then you have to give them time. Varane has already looked much better. Look at Frey this season.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 12:47 - Sep 22 with 902 viewsdmm

Can this team play Marti ball? on 22:40 - Sep 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it's a great question, and one we'll find out in time. If we can get more players showing for the ball then we'll have more variety and be so much harder to contain, and I could see us stepping up a big level. It's potentially very exciting. Right now, we're too static, as you say.

On a side note, I think it was Andersen who played the quick ball to release Dembelé?

Just saw the extended highlights and you were right. Cook played the ball out of our box to Andersen who then played quickly to Dembele.
[Post edited 22 Sep 12:48]
Can this team play Marti ball? on 14:10 - Sep 22 with 692 viewsgazza1

Maybe we are a new team but they are professional footballers. Yesterday they were not very good at all apart from one or two of them. Poor excuse to use 'new team' as a reason why they were generally poor and there is no reason why supporters cannot make their thoughts known..

I have been very pleased with the season thus far, some good performances both player wise and the team. Yesterday they were not very good and it wasn't because they are a' new team'.
Can this team play Marti ball? on 16:13 - Sep 22 with 548 viewsconnell10

Can this team play Marti ball? on 12:47 - Sep 22 by dmm

Just saw the extended highlights and you were right. Cook played the ball out of our box to Andersen who then played quickly to Dembele.
[Post edited 22 Sep 12:48]

Yeah and was pretty much shite for the rest of the game. One swallow doth not a summer make.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024