Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly Sick of It 21:55 - Sep 17 with 25965 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our club competes for three competitions every year.
We toss off two of them.

In doing so, we disrespect those two competitions, our opponents, and ourselves.

I will never, never understand it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Utterly Sick of It on 17:17 - Sep 18 with 2088 viewsmart_Goblin

Utterly Sick of It on 16:54 - Sep 18 by CateLeBonR

As you allude to in your OP I don’t think this is just about last night. We’ve seen them field weakened sides for years and we have the worst record in the 3rd round of the FA cup of any club ever i believe. Our record in the league cup in the last 35 years isn’t much better either. Then we often follow it up by playing a crap league game, so what’s the point.

If you look at yesterday’s selection and performance in isolation it wasn’t bad at all but because of what’s happened in the past we’re more sensitive and critical and it’s completely understandable.
[Post edited 18 Sep 16:56]

Yeah good point . Marti taking the brunt perhaps for other managers ‘properly’ binning the cup off year after year and understandably frustrating the fan base . Even Warnock lost at home to Port vale and Rochdale (might be wrong with that one ).
Utterly Sick of It on 17:32 - Sep 18 with 2022 viewsHooping_Mad

Utterly Sick of It on 17:12 - Sep 18 by stainrods_elbow

The end of your first para. is the key worry.

I've been told off for saying (as echoed by Marti of late) that no team turns in a 90 minute performance at this level, a bit oddly. But, as you say, we play with passion and purpose for 30-45 minutes at most. Mostly, our first halves are tactically misconceived and /or energetically flat. if we had interviewers who kept on asking gutsy questions about that, perhaps we'd get some proper answers as to why.

This debate seems to be did he/didn't he want to win. when the truth is he would have liked to won the game but was stopped by committee and circumstance.

Head Coach, title says it all.

Lets say Marti pushed to go balls in (Not the biggest Marti fan but he's growing on me) and Frey, Dembele and Cook got injured, this would be a very different thread. I doubt may would be lording his bravery but I may of course be wrong.

Does the league cup really need to be a balls out event every year?

3 injuries from disaster and no Ben Williams means he gets a pass from me.

Anyway knowing us we'd have only got through to find Keith bloody Stroud waiting on the other side of the fixture to disallow a perfectly fine goal.

Time they are a changing, but, I will survive.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Utterly Sick of It on 17:43 - Sep 18 with 1986 viewsJuzzie

Utterly Sick of It on 17:32 - Sep 18 by Hooping_Mad

This debate seems to be did he/didn't he want to win. when the truth is he would have liked to won the game but was stopped by committee and circumstance.

Lets say Marti pushed to go balls in (Not the biggest Marti fan but he's growing on me) and Frey, Dembele and Cook got injured, this would be a very different thread. I doubt may would be lording his bravery but I may of course be wrong.

Anyway knowing us we'd have only got through to find Keith bloody Stroud waiting on the other side of the fixture to disallow a perfectly fine goal.

This has always been the dilemma of cup games. Even though players can get injured in any game (or on the training ground or at home etc) it is always a cup injury that gets lambasted the most.

"if he didn't play in that game he wouldn't have got injured and now out for xxxx weeks/months".

OK, but players can and do get injured in League games too.
Utterly Sick of It on 17:44 - Sep 18 with 1975 viewsnumptydumpty

Utterly Sick of It on 17:32 - Sep 18 by Hooping_Mad

"Not the biggest Marti fan" you say.

Ok

So the complete turnaround from 18 previous months of oblivion towards being effective and competitive and within budget also.

And a much more entertaining style of play with a lot of players that can only improve.

What are your reservations about Cifuentes ??

Am curious ??
[Post edited 18 Sep 17:45]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Utterly Sick of It on 18:01 - Sep 18 with 1875 viewsdaveB

Utterly Sick of It on 17:43 - Sep 18 by Juzzie

This has always been the dilemma of cup games. Even though players can get injured in any game (or on the training ground or at home etc) it is always a cup injury that gets lambasted the most.

"if he didn't play in that game he wouldn't have got injured and now out for xxxx weeks/months".

OK, but players can and do get injured in League games too.

we're still hurting from Faurlin ad Mackie getting season ending injuries in early cup games
Utterly Sick of It on 18:26 - Sep 18 with 1753 viewsamhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 00:14 - Sep 18 by Northernr

Yeh I'd be interested to know what's gone on with EDB because you compare the confident, forward thinking, progressive boy that played at Coventry last day of last season to whatever the hell that was tonight and it's stark.

I noticed after the first goal Marti called him over and had proper go at him.
Utterly Sick of It on 19:05 - Sep 18 with 1618 viewsrbee

Utterly Sick of It on 17:17 - Sep 18 by stainrods_elbow

Farcical and ridiculous if true!

I wish I had a manager who'd rest me, say, on Tuesdays because they're Tuesdays.

Bearing in mind we had the best availability record in the top four divisions in English Football last season I would say that whatever Ben Williams is doing, it's working.
Utterly Sick of It on 19:11 - Sep 18 with 1571 viewsQPunkR

Utterly Sick of It on 16:04 - Sep 18 by Ned_Kennedys

It was CLEARLY weaker than it could have been.
A rare opportunity to play a latter stage Cup game at home against another London team under lights: some of us would treat this as a priority over a bog standard league game against Millwall.
Would have increased our chances of a win unless anyone can argue that EDB over Dembele for the whole game was a positive move?

I find it very very odd that some people have such little respect for the Cups and what QPR could achieve in them nowadays.

I’m with Brian and you on this. When I saw that starting XI I was disappointed. And at the same time, I was very pleased with how we played overall - definitely infinitely better than against Wednesday.

So from that I can see why there are two completely opposing camps on this

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Utterly Sick of It on 19:36 - Sep 18 with 1499 viewsMaggsinho

Utterly Sick of It on 18:26 - Sep 18 by amhoop

I noticed after the first goal Marti called him over and had proper go at him.

Yep, he was absolutely furious with him for losing his man at the free kick. What with that and the half time substitution I’d be surprised to see him play again.
Utterly Sick of It on 19:47 - Sep 18 with 1441 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 19:05 - Sep 18 by rbee

Bearing in mind we had the best availability record in the top four divisions in English Football last season I would say that whatever Ben Williams is doing, it's working.

It's working for the Brooklyn Nets now
Utterly Sick of It on 19:51 - Sep 18 with 1402 viewsAntti_Heinola

Utterly Sick of It on 13:52 - Sep 18 by Northernr

I didn't think he was too bad, few decisions notwithstanding.

It's all given us something to talk about anyway haha. Can't quite recall a game where we've all been to the same match and come out with such polarised opinions on here.

Thought the ref was fine, except for three or four occasions, for both teams, when there was a foul, but play moved on for the team in possession, and only then did he blow up when there was clearly no need.
Otherwise, decent performance.

Bare bones.

Utterly Sick of It on 19:54 - Sep 18 with 1388 viewsGaryHaddock

QPR Confession:

I'm not a fan of EDB (yet). Nice lad great attitude, but he's a bit jack of all trades / master of none isn't he? I felt he run on adrenaline a bit when he made his debut and got that small run of games last season. I don't think his baseline is anything more than what we saw last night.

Haven't given up on him though. Hope he proves me very wrong.
Utterly Sick of It on 20:07 - Sep 18 with 1328 viewsChrisNW6

I'm going to be interested in the Madsen score as I thought, apart from one moment of class to sell the defender and cut back with a lovely floated cross, he had a poor game. For the first half felt like he phoned it in (one for the glossary) and was slow to everything and had no intensity with the press.
Utterly Sick of It on 20:09 - Sep 18 with 1318 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 20:07 - Sep 18 by ChrisNW6

I'm going to be interested in the Madsen score as I thought, apart from one moment of class to sell the defender and cut back with a lovely floated cross, he had a poor game. For the first half felt like he phoned it in (one for the glossary) and was slow to everything and had no intensity with the press.

Utterly Sick of It on 20:18 - Sep 18 with 1270 viewsqprxtc

Cor. Seven pages on QPR’s failure to win a cup tie.

Considering we’ve been pretty consistent in not winning cup ties since 1882, it seems expectation levels are artificially high in these games.

You all need to take more drugs man.
Utterly Sick of It on 20:21 - Sep 18 with 1225 viewsrbee

Utterly Sick of It on 19:47 - Sep 18 by Northernr

It's working for the Brooklyn Nets now

Has this been confirmed any where yet?
Utterly Sick of It on 20:22 - Sep 18 with 1207 viewsHooping_Mad

Utterly Sick of It on 17:44 - Sep 18 by numptydumpty

"Not the biggest Marti fan" you say.

Ok

So the complete turnaround from 18 previous months of oblivion towards being effective and competitive and within budget also.

And a much more entertaining style of play with a lot of players that can only improve.

What are your reservations about Cifuentes ??

Am curious ??
[Post edited 18 Sep 17:45]

No I didn't say that Numpty.

Use the whole quote, don't cut it down and I'll answer your question

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Utterly Sick of It on 21:26 - Sep 18 with 1071 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 20:21 - Sep 18 by rbee

Has this been confirmed any where yet?

If you're going to wait for this QPR regime to tell you things officially you're going to be waiting a while.
Utterly Sick of It on 21:32 - Sep 18 with 1035 viewsBurnleyhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 23:15 - Sep 17 by numptydumpty

Total disagreement with you on this one Brian.

The manager used the game to give a few more players that are going to be extremely useful for us this season and all have shown some signs of promise - Celar had a few moments but am not giving up on the guy at all , like a lot of our fans online seem to have done already.

Frey was pretty anonymous last season. You got to give all players time.

Was an excellent second half performance against a pretty much full strength premiership side and a lot of the new players put in decent performances, weren't overawed at all and showed signs of promise and adjusting to our league.

Thought Saito, Ashby, Varane, Madsen, Lloyd, Smyth, Field all performed really well.

It's a real positive to see so many players with promise in the squad and we had four first teamers out injured also.

Ok we are out but a lucky deflected goal beat us and the breadth of a post by Lloyd in last minute away from a deserved draw.

Great atmosphere at the ground and for me, its going to be an exciting season.

And can't criticise the manager for me. He is building up all players to be competitive with each other and for me that's brilliant

The seven teams in European competition come in the next round so to win a trophy we would likely have to beat three of the top Premier league teams to win the cup.

Unbelievably unlikely.

It just doesn't happen anymore. The divide is so big.

Was a great night. Shame Alfie couldn't have scored at the end. Think with the crowd behind us we would have done that one.

Unlucky my team I say !!!

I think we need to reflect on how far we have come in a really short period of time.

We have cleared all the deadwood out and brought a raft of new players in that are all showing potential but will ultimately take time to bed in and find their feet.

Last night was another step in the right direction as the players get used to the system and each other.

Seems a bit churlish to expect this squad, in this period of its development, to go out all guns blazing and blitz a premiership team with a prodigy like Eze pulling the strings.

We have plenty to be excited about and I, for one, look forward to how this team/squad develops and improves over the coming months.
Utterly Sick of It on 21:34 - Sep 18 with 1028 viewspaddyhdog

Just to add what a great debate this has been. A good example of where this forum can be at its best, with passionate well-informed fans bringing different perspectives, disagreeing whilst staying respectful, not getting personal or nasty. And no politics.
I agree with Brian's OP my heart sank when I saw line up, but can accept now from reading other posts that Marti longer term priorities need to be considered.

God I'd give a b0llock for a decent cup run.
Utterly Sick of It on 21:54 - Sep 18 with 927 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 21:34 - Sep 18 by paddyhdog

Just to add what a great debate this has been. A good example of where this forum can be at its best, with passionate well-informed fans bringing different perspectives, disagreeing whilst staying respectful, not getting personal or nasty. And no politics.
I agree with Brian's OP my heart sank when I saw line up, but can accept now from reading other posts that Marti longer term priorities need to be considered.

Very much seconded.
Utterly Sick of It on 21:59 - Sep 18 with 893 viewsBurnleyhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 13:52 - Sep 18 by Northernr

I didn't think he was too bad, few decisions notwithstanding.

It's all given us something to talk about anyway haha. Can't quite recall a game where we've all been to the same match and come out with such polarised opinions on here.

That referee blew for everything and anything. Never allowed the game to flow.

Found it infuriating tbh.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:09 - Sep 18 with 801 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 21:59 - Sep 18 by Burnleyhoop

That referee blew for everything and anything. Never allowed the game to flow.

Found it infuriating tbh.

I don't agree. 6.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:15 - Sep 18 with 712 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Utterly Sick of It on 21:34 - Sep 18 by paddyhdog

Interestingly, my 20 year old son didn't give a hoot that we went out.
Just wants to beat Millwall on Saturday. And longer term be promoted.
His reasoning was we are not going to win a cup, so rest players. Promotion is everything.

I do think it is perhaps those that watched in the 80s and 90s desperately want to see that again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:21 - Sep 18 with 676 viewsBurnleyhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 22:09 - Sep 18 by Northernr

I don't agree. 6.

Opinions Clive. And that was mine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024