Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers 09:09 - May 17 with 8714 viewsNorthernr

Here we go then...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62478
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:56 - May 17 with 1869 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:04 - May 17 by TheChef

Well let's hope not - but I don't think anyone has any clue how much his weekly wage is. I mean it may not be a ludicrous sum.

Well, the wages bandied about were ludicrous. But there's absolutely no doubt he'll be one of our highest earners.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:59 - May 17 with 1855 viewsNed_Kennedys

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:44 - May 17 by Northernr

Even if we agree to go with your C, which I obviously think is generous, do you think he'll be able to improve (or even maintain) your C next season, another year older?

Whether we think he was adequate or not this season, the idea we try and go round again with him next season is crazy talk.

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t give him another season but he’s been alright this season.
Hope Cifuentes can get the keeper he wants at the right price.
Didn’t think the Rotherham keeper was a play out from the back type.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:00 - May 17 with 1856 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:52 - May 17 by Lanhoop

C? No, sorry. The saves he did make in some games have just lifted him from getting an E. D is the right score.

He isn't what we need to have sitting on the bench as a backup either. We can surely do better.

Also, he may have been a decent sort in the dressing room but making him captain was Gaz's mistake and letting him keep the captaincy was one of Marti's few errors. He was too quiet on the pitch and we need to have someone in the refs ear a lot, lot more.

I leap to Marti's defence with the alacrity I leap to Ilias's. Letting him keep the captaincy was not a mistake. Stripping him of it would have been needless and could easily have provoked avoidable discord in the squad. Would have been utterly pointless. Cook and JCS both acted as captains anyway, and we don't need someone to get in the ref's ear. Just because other teams have gits like Ashley Barnes, there's no need for us to act like that. I know I'm in a minority on that one, but I firmly believe in respecting officials - as does Marti: we got a lot less yellows after he turned up.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:00 - May 17 with 1857 viewshoops_legend

I don’t like it when people are unfairly harsh on goalkeepers having never tried it before. However I believe Clive goes in goal on a weekly basis at his local team so has a good understanding of the pains it can be to be a goalie. Therefore is well placed

The assessment is fair. While he had some good games - he let the side down on a number of occasions and we would have been better off with another keeper therefore hard to rate him any higher i am afraid

I don’t hate him at all and if he was cheap could be a good back up keeper but we need some fresh blood in there
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:14 - May 17 with 1780 viewsqprmarkoct1966

The missed cross against Cardiff which gifted them a second goal just after we had equalised deflated the the team and the whole ground. That did it for me. Happy to shake hands and say bye bye. I was at Coventry and thought Walsh looked excellent , he needs to be playing now , we wasted a year with Semy after his loan at Doncaster. He has the physique and looks confident, give him a go .
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:53 - May 17 with 1682 viewssimmo

Double shit & triple old. Being forced to keep him another year would be a disaster.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:54 - May 17 with 1677 viewsaston_hoop

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/may/17/jordan-archer-leaves-qpr/

Relevant for today. Not a classic from a Nourry-speak perspective, very end of year school report when the teacher can't remember who the hell the student actually was

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:56 - May 17 with 1671 viewssimmo

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:54 - May 17 by aston_hoop

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/may/17/jordan-archer-leaves-qpr/

Relevant for today. Not a classic from a Nourry-speak perspective, very end of year school report when the teacher can't remember who the hell the student actually was

'We had good conversations in my time here'

3 years worth of wages and the overriding positive is that he's nice to bump into.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:03 - May 17 with 1655 viewsNorthernr

As promised, first part of the debate that went into this is now live on the Patreon...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-term-and-104425130

This post has been edited by an administrator
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:21 - May 17 with 1611 viewsed_83

I think a D's fair on balance.

He was brought in as a stopgap, and has mostly done okay in that role, with some great saves at crucial points. However, between what appears to be a fairly hefty wage, the captain's armband, the repeated howlers, the dubious tweets and all the rest of it, I think it's fair to say he's underperformed overall. Far from the worst signing we've made in recent years, but that's not exactly a high bar.

This is one where we absolutely have to learn from Adomah - renewing the contract of an ageing pro who's simply not up to it any more, eating up FFP headroom that should be spent elsewhere, is madness. If Begovic is here next year as anything other than an experienced backup on massively reduced wages, then we're in serious trouble.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:40 - May 17 with 1545 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 15:00 - May 17 by hoops_legend

I don’t like it when people are unfairly harsh on goalkeepers having never tried it before. However I believe Clive goes in goal on a weekly basis at his local team so has a good understanding of the pains it can be to be a goalie. Therefore is well placed

The assessment is fair. While he had some good games - he let the side down on a number of occasions and we would have been better off with another keeper therefore hard to rate him any higher i am afraid

I don’t hate him at all and if he was cheap could be a good back up keeper but we need some fresh blood in there

Clive's in-depth analysis is certainly worth reading, even if I don't necessarily agree with all his conclusions, and some of the detail is contestable, e.g. he played 45 games for Bournemouth (15 clean sheets) in his last season with them, which is hardly spotty, and Everton reportedly offered him a new contract in 2023 (where he was understudy to Pickford, which hardly makes him a poor keeper or lazy professional), which he rejected to come to us. At the same time (unless he plays for a pro or semi-pro team), and with all respect to the man, I'm not sure how you can claim this qualifies him to empathise with Begovic at his rather higher level. The contexts are, obviously, completely different.

As has been pointed out by a number of us, we had one of the best goals against records in the division post-Marti, and Begovic has to get his fair share of credit for his part in that, obviously.

Agree, though, at the very least, we probably need a young pretender to challenge his position next season if he stays.
[Post edited 17 May 16:49]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:43 - May 17 with 1561 viewsNorthernr

Yeh I would never pretend that my Monday nights getting trounced by Hogan in Finsbury Park in any way qualify me to assess professional goalkeepers.

Mind you, Ademola Bankole is our academy goalkeeper coach so...
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:38 - May 17 with 1437 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:43 - May 17 by Northernr

Yeh I would never pretend that my Monday nights getting trounced by Hogan in Finsbury Park in any way qualify me to assess professional goalkeepers.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 19:52 - May 17 with 1335 viewsstevenagehoop

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:38 - May 17 by stainrods_elbow

Was he really such a liability as suggested. Marti has come in for a lot of praise on this board and rightly so but chose to strengthen other areas in the team rather than the goalkeeper. He’d watched all the other games before taking over so would have seen his performances. The article is about reviewing this season- what happens next year is a different topic. Personally have seen a lot worse keepers down the bush over the years . As an ex keeper have never seen the sense of making a keeper captain but there have been a few high profile ones.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:12 - May 17 with 1198 viewscaptainmycaptian

Personally the save at home to Preston was massive and the Leeds one as you stated. Without doubt a new keeper is need needed. Maybe they might keep him on a much much more reduced wage to help JW settle ?
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:21 - May 17 with 1173 viewsLblock

Made some key saves in key games

But….

If he’d been a steady solid Championship keeper throughout the season then those games would not have become “key”

It’s ratification of the D for me and a “thank you, goodbye, enjoy matchday at Scumford Fridge”

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:26 - May 17 with 1161 viewsBrianMcCarthy

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:21 - May 17 by Lblock

Made some key saves in key games

But….

If he’d been a steady solid Championship keeper throughout the season then those games would not have become “key”

It’s ratification of the D for me and a “thank you, goodbye, enjoy matchday at Scumford Fridge”

"If he’d been a steady solid Championship keeper throughout the season then those games would not have become “key”"

Very well put.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 23:09 - May 17 with 1115 viewsEastR

Thanks Clive, look forward to the patreon.
On a desert island it's always good to have something handy to wipe your arse

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 23:28 - May 17 with 1070 viewshoops_legend

Haha… you at least know the highs and lows of a keeper and how even after a great performance - it can all go to pieces thought little fault of own… while strikers can miss chance after chance at still be lauded for a lucky goal
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 07:43 - May 18 with 891 viewswestberksr

the logic of a few experienced players to steady the ship made perfect sense (Derry, Hill etc, been here before)

but AB was simply past it to the extent that whilst he still had some good saves in him, you got the impression the defence didn't trust him.

there were numerous occasions where he was planted in the 6 yard box when he should have come out to collect and left defenders in really tricky situations. they made it pretty clear how pissed off they were at the time.

also his distribution and often hesitation in actually distributing were also pretty poor.

seems a nice enough guy and decent pro but you cant roll the clock back 6 years after turning up for training and sitting on the bench for that length of time.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 08:08 - May 18 with 882 viewsDorse

When will the government do something about the scourge of trouncing in our public parks!? Trouncers walking around free to trounce again?! Broken Britain! We're going to hell in a hand-cart... etc etc.

Enjoyed the write up. For what it's worth, I thought D just about nailed it for me. Before our Lords and masters decided to change GCSE grades from A*-G to 9-1 (not bad odds), a D was worth 50% to 59%. And that's pretty much where I see Begovic's performance over the season. It's a pass but it's below the standard you'd want, ideally.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:27 - May 18 with 799 viewsthehat

Thanks Clive - Good read that.

My thoughts on Asmir are probably a bit higher I think he has been reasonably steady throughout the season. Yes he has made some mistakes as all goalkeepers do (look at Neuer in the CL semi final) but has always been fit and available and is probably a good egg in the dressing room. He has also made some big saves at key moments.

That said if we can shake hands and move on then it would be the right thing to do however I have a sneaky feeling those number of appearances have probably triggered a contract extension.

If that is the case then we need to use next season as Asmir handing over the baton to Joe Walsh who has been groomed for the last 3 years for this situation. Walsh the number one with Asmir on the bench ready for any wobbles we might get whilst at the same time bringing on Salamon so he is ready for the following season.

Good to see Archer leaving and I would also let Mahoney go if we can to save some funds.

For me the best Goalkeeper ever remains Jan Stejskal with Peter Hucker running him close. My Dad would always say Phil Parkes but I don't have enough memory of him on archive in my brain.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:36 - May 18 with 794 viewsQPR_Hibs

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:12 - May 17 by captainmycaptian

Personally the save at home to Preston was massive and the Leeds one as you stated. Without doubt a new keeper is need needed. Maybe they might keep him on a much much more reduced wage to help JW settle ?

Whilst I don't disagree that another year at a reduced wage would be reasonable, the issue is that, if he signs another contract, the fans will not be told the terms of that contract.

Nourry is not going to tell us. Begovic is not going to tell us. The clickbait sites will have no more information than us .

So, he could sign for another year and we won't know if it's a sensible "back up keeper on a moderate wage" or a crazy "why are we paying this guy eleventy billion pounds to sit on the bench."

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:53 - May 18 with 759 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 22:26 - May 17 by BrianMcCarthy

"If he’d been a steady solid Championship keeper throughout the season then those games would not have become “key”"

Very well put.

No it's not - it's seriously misleading. As any pro manager will agree, any team defends (or fails to defend) from the front. If Begovic had too much to do (whether he did it or not), especially in the first part of the season, that was as much down to those in front of him (or not in front of him).

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:59 - May 18 with 753 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 07:43 - May 18 by westberksr

the logic of a few experienced players to steady the ship made perfect sense (Derry, Hill etc, been here before)

but AB was simply past it to the extent that whilst he still had some good saves in him, you got the impression the defence didn't trust him.

there were numerous occasions where he was planted in the 6 yard box when he should have come out to collect and left defenders in really tricky situations. they made it pretty clear how pissed off they were at the time.

also his distribution and often hesitation in actually distributing were also pretty poor.

seems a nice enough guy and decent pro but you cant roll the clock back 6 years after turning up for training and sitting on the bench for that length of time.

It wasn't six years, so no need to exaggerate to try to get your point over the line. It was basically two (2021-23 at Everton). As I've already pointed out, he played 45 games in his last season with Bournemouth in the Champ, and 119 games (inc. loans) in total between 2017-2021.

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate as I think he's probably run his race with us now, but some of the comments here are OTT.

In Marti I trust!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024