Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Hollins 13:09 - Jun 14 with 7020 viewsSnipper

It’s been announced that John Hollins has died.

I met him once, and he was a lovely man.
John Hollins on 18:43 - Jun 14 with 1731 viewsPeterHucker

John Hollins on 15:32 - Jun 14 by Bluce_Ree

Oh no! He seemed like a nice guy. I went to a fan's forum thing when he was manager. All I remember is someone saying we need a right back and his answer being "we've got Mark Perry."

But other than that, sound.

I was also at that fan's forum.
Those forums in the 90s were often quite dour affairs.
John Hollins livened things up considerably just by being a funny & personable chap.
Didn't realise until today that Chris Hollins the TV presenter was his son.

Too young to have seen him play for us but I know a few that did and they speak warmly of him. Seems to be a popular figure with his other former clubs Arsenal & Chelsea too.
John Hollins on 21:28 - Jun 14 with 1580 viewskernowhoop

Sorry to hear about John Hollins. Can't help but reflect on the losses from that great team - Dave Clement, Mick Leach, John Hollins plus Dave Thomas lost his sight and Stan Bowles has Alzheimer's. Oh dear.
John Hollins on 22:23 - Jun 14 with 1520 viewslightwaterhoop

I always thought John was a great little player though my memory is hazy and i was just a kid
at the time, but he was you know, he played over 700 games for decent sides and that says it all.

RIP John
[Post edited 14 Jun 2023 22:42]
John Hollins on 22:47 - Jun 14 with 1486 viewsNorthernr

Just seemed like one of life's, and football's, decent guys. I remember when him, Billy Bonds et al taking over caretaker after Ray got sacked and going up to unbeaten, and eventually promoted, Barnsley and winning 3-1. Then later when Houston got sacked he took over and restored a little bit of feel-good, although at the time I was fuming because he basically ditched all of Houston's signings and brought in the old school which meant Lee Harper (a goalkeeper) got dropped for Tony Roberts (a shuttle disaster). We then appointed Ray Harford and tanked, Hollins I think then went and managed Swansea to a Div 3 title and massive cup upset over West Ham.
John Hollins on 23:24 - Jun 14 with 1458 viewsdigswellhoop

John Hollins on 13:19 - Jun 14 by Logman

Played a major part in 75/76 and was a pleasure every time he came back. Really enthused about the club. Think of Andy Sinton but twenty years earlier. RIP Sir.

met him what a great man rip ledend
John Hollins on 07:36 - Jun 15 with 1335 viewsSimplyNico

I met John at a five aside tournament organised by a supplier in the early 90s. He was acting as an agent at that point for various players and brought them along to do the reffing (Scott Minto, Dave Beasant and a lad at Wimbledon whose name escapes me but ended up in the News of the Screws in a kiss and tell). I was chatting to John and Dave Beasant after the footy, and Beasant had been dropped by Chelsea for gifting goals due to his terrible handling. There had been a news story about him blaming it on everything but himself. He was limping around on crutches and Gareth, a Welsh guy I worked with, asked him what he had done. Beasant replied “I dropped a jar of mayonnaise on my foot and severed a tendon”. Gareth replied in his Welsh lilt “Were you unsighted, Dave?” John nearly died laughing. Beasant said “Yeh, very good.” And walked off.

Edit - Dean Holdsworth was the kiss and tell player
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 9:22]
John Hollins on 13:50 - Jun 15 with 1159 viewsfrancisbowles

Player, coach, manager, captain (I think), genuinely nice chap. Four years service with our club when we went close in the first division, the league cup and went out of Europe on penalties in the quarter finals.

I was at Wembley in 1967 for my one and only England game and his one and only cap. (he seemed to be playing left wing/wide left midfield). 2-0 win against Spain.

Thank you John and RIP
John Hollins on 18:57 - Jun 15 with 1000 viewspaulparker

Remember well that Stoke game he dropped Harper , Rose & Morrow
“Johnny hollins blue n white army “ was sung non stop all second half as well as “were not Arsenal anymore’
I do recall he didnt have that many great things to say about us or the plastic pitch when he was Chelsea manager especially after the QTR final and the 6-0

Anyway RIP John

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

John Hollins on 21:41 - Jun 15 with 937 viewsCamberleyR

John Hollins on 18:57 - Jun 15 by paulparker

Remember well that Stoke game he dropped Harper , Rose & Morrow
“Johnny hollins blue n white army “ was sung non stop all second half as well as “were not Arsenal anymore’
I do recall he didnt have that many great things to say about us or the plastic pitch when he was Chelsea manager especially after the QTR final and the 6-0

Anyway RIP John

I remember he had a distinct touch of sour grapes when we won the Milk Cup quarter final replay at the SW6 slum.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 21:41]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

John Hollins on 01:26 - Jun 16 with 878 viewsCiderwithRsie

John Hollins on 21:41 - Jun 15 by CamberleyR

I remember he had a distinct touch of sour grapes when we won the Milk Cup quarter final replay at the SW6 slum.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 21:41]

Yeah, I remember that too, but I also remember thinking that it was out of character.

I suppose he was always a loyal servant of any club he was working for and felt the defeat just as badly as we all enjoyed it
John Hollins on 02:32 - Jun 16 with 850 viewscharmr

Was living in KC USA and sent him a letter saying I though he was harshly treated by Rangers and wished him well after being dismissed as our manager.

Wrote back to me in the states thanking me for the kind words.

Says a lot
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024