Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale 21:23 - Nov 9 with 4377 viewsRAFCBLUE

NFR, what's the best pub in Rochdale and why?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:28 - Nov 9 with 3149 viewsjudd

Do you have a Rottweiler?

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:34 - Nov 9 with 3127 viewsR17ALE

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:28 - Nov 9 by judd

Do you have a Rottweiler?

A year ago I'd have said The Cemetery, but I've been to the Moorcock several times recently and it's excellent. Grapes is also excellent for food. And I've been told The Birch Hotel is decent.

But the best meal out I've had lately is the Same Yet in Simister. A bizarre pub in the middle of nowhere, accessed via Bowlee. Proper Sunday Fayre.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 23:16 - Nov 9 with 3053 viewsD_Alien

The thing about pubs is they become great but then tend to gradually lose whatever it was that made them that way

The Grapes has been mentioned. Alongside the now defunct Dog & Partridge they were the "go to" places for an entire generation

Others are now prominent, but my vote goes to one place that's never really lost its way, and is almost symbolic of the town itself both in situation and ability to cater for most tastes - including the all-important quality & variety of real ale on offer

I am, of course, talking about the Flying Horse

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 23:35 - Nov 9 with 3022 viewsSandyman

Flying Horse is top drawer for food, ale and a pleasant place to drink. Medicine Tap is pricy but quality for ale and as a venue. Heard reliable recommendations about the food. Old Post Office at Castleton is excellent in terms of ale quality and a great place to drink in. Cem(clique) pricy but has a great ambience. The Baum always deserves a mention. As for "the best" - this is always a moving feast but me current fave is The Pint Pot on Baillie Street. Ticks all the boxes I want for great and well kept real ale that is unusual for the area and a lovely place for a relaxed, peaceful drink and chat.

#UTDNFS
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 04:36 - Nov 10 with 2915 viewsNigeriamark

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 23:35 - Nov 9 by Sandyman

Flying Horse is top drawer for food, ale and a pleasant place to drink. Medicine Tap is pricy but quality for ale and as a venue. Heard reliable recommendations about the food. Old Post Office at Castleton is excellent in terms of ale quality and a great place to drink in. Cem(clique) pricy but has a great ambience. The Baum always deserves a mention. As for "the best" - this is always a moving feast but me current fave is The Pint Pot on Baillie Street. Ticks all the boxes I want for great and well kept real ale that is unusual for the area and a lovely place for a relaxed, peaceful drink and chat.

#UTDNFS

Haven't been in Rochdale for almost a year, but my faves are

Food & drink: Waggon in Milnrow & Whitehouse in Littleborough
Drink Only: Cem, Flying horse ( food not bad either)

Also tried the pint pot last time I was in Rochdale & was very impressed by the brew they had that night. I assume they rotate guest beers.
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 06:06 - Nov 10 with 2863 viewsblackdogblue

The Black Dog for obvious reasons 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 07:11 - Nov 10 with 2828 viewsrochedale

Best pub - Talbot Head. Always good atmosphere and no numpties looking for trouble.
For eating - Whitehouse, food is average, but you can’t beat being in front of that fire on a Sunday afternoon with your Sunday roast.

Slightly out of Rochdale, try The Alma Inn for some decent food, and The Malt House is open again, both have same owners. The Beehive is always decent too, and The Lion is worth a try.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 2746 viewsD_Alien

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 07:11 - Nov 10 by rochedale

Best pub - Talbot Head. Always good atmosphere and no numpties looking for trouble.
For eating - Whitehouse, food is average, but you can’t beat being in front of that fire on a Sunday afternoon with your Sunday roast.

Slightly out of Rochdale, try The Alma Inn for some decent food, and The Malt House is open again, both have same owners. The Beehive is always decent too, and The Lion is worth a try.

Agree about the Alma, they've come out of lockdown with fabulous new outdoor facilites

That way on, the Last Post is always welcoming. Its where the owner of the Alma/Malt House sups!

[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:47]

Login to get fewer ads

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 08:50 - Nov 10 with 2730 viewsrochedale

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 08:45 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

Agree about the Alma, they've come out of lockdown with fabulous new outdoor facilites

That way on, the Last Post is always welcoming. Its where the owner of the Alma/Malt House sups!

[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:47]

Aye, the outdoor facilities were for lockdown but they’ve kept them. The last post, is that what was the black cat, el gato negro or something? Always fancied trying there.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:56]

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 09:51 - Nov 10 with 2633 viewsYorkshire_Dale

That's one pub I aint been too.
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 11:39 - Nov 10 with 2457 viewsTomRAFC

Another mention for the flyer. Great ale and cider.

Medicine Tap has some good beer too. Went to The Dalebar in town after the Colchester game and was pleasantly surprised too. Yet to try the pint pot but heard good things.

Funny you should mention the Same Yet R17ALE. I live in Prestwich and it's a regular haunt for a quiet meal and a few pints on a Sunday.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 12:45 - Nov 10 with 2370 viewsD_Alien

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 08:50 - Nov 10 by rochedale

Aye, the outdoor facilities were for lockdown but they’ve kept them. The last post, is that what was the black cat, el gato negro or something? Always fancied trying there.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:56]

Yes, i think so, though didn't try any of its previous guises

It's a fairly straightforward and friendly inn now. Good ale, a fire when its cold and a pub garden down a few steep steps

You can also bring food in from the nearby Italian takeaway

Also, a shout out for the Old Bridge Inn

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 12:54 - Nov 10 with 2350 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 12:45 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

Yes, i think so, though didn't try any of its previous guises

It's a fairly straightforward and friendly inn now. Good ale, a fire when its cold and a pub garden down a few steep steps

You can also bring food in from the nearby Italian takeaway

Also, a shout out for the Old Bridge Inn

Yes The Old Bridge Inn is still pretty good.
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 19:50 - Nov 10 with 2040 viewsrobshaker

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:34 - Nov 9 by R17ALE

A year ago I'd have said The Cemetery, but I've been to the Moorcock several times recently and it's excellent. Grapes is also excellent for food. And I've been told The Birch Hotel is decent.

But the best meal out I've had lately is the Same Yet in Simister. A bizarre pub in the middle of nowhere, accessed via Bowlee. Proper Sunday Fayre.

how do razz tell you summut the same yet's alot closer to me than you but ive never been in! been meaning to for years tho your right in middle of nowhere at the end of a country lane init, isnt their one next to it as well cant remember its name might be gone now.

I f you go back down the road turn left go past heaton park you got 2 crackers their the ostrich and the woodthorpe, the ozzy has a massive beer garden you can hear the concerts from when on and the woody is holts signature pub, more like an eaterie/hotel but good do used to be a stately home connected to the park i assume - historical building anyway.
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 19:56 - Nov 10 with 2017 viewsrobshaker

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 11:39 - Nov 10 by TomRAFC

Another mention for the flyer. Great ale and cider.

Medicine Tap has some good beer too. Went to The Dalebar in town after the Colchester game and was pleasantly surprised too. Yet to try the pint pot but heard good things.

Funny you should mention the Same Yet R17ALE. I live in Prestwich and it's a regular haunt for a quiet meal and a few pints on a Sunday.

whereabouts in Prestwich? im just up the road and booze in the village usually sundays
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 20:15 - Nov 10 with 1983 viewsblackdogblue

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 19:50 - Nov 10 by robshaker

how do razz tell you summut the same yet's alot closer to me than you but ive never been in! been meaning to for years tho your right in middle of nowhere at the end of a country lane init, isnt their one next to it as well cant remember its name might be gone now.

I f you go back down the road turn left go past heaton park you got 2 crackers their the ostrich and the woodthorpe, the ozzy has a massive beer garden you can hear the concerts from when on and the woody is holts signature pub, more like an eaterie/hotel but good do used to be a stately home connected to the park i assume - historical building anyway.

What’s that pub near the ground who were playing VHS vids of RIP games to drum up trade 🤷‍♂️

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 20:51 - Nov 10 with 1966 viewsrobshaker

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 20:15 - Nov 10 by blackdogblue

What’s that pub near the ground who were playing VHS vids of RIP games to drum up trade 🤷‍♂️

staff of life?
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:07 - Nov 10 with 1946 viewsR17ALE

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 19:50 - Nov 10 by robshaker

You're right. There is another pub in Simister. It's also another JW Lees pub called the Farmers Arms. Boozer's pub but nice enough.

Same Yet has a wonderful beer garden with a proper view of the moors above Norden I think. On a warm Sunday afternoon it's perfect for Sunday Lunch for about £6 iirc.

Access isn't easy though, you're right. For us lot it's first right just after Lancashire Health Club and then quarter of a mile on a surface that wouldn't look out of place on the moon!

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:20 - Nov 10 with 1931 viewsrobshaker

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:07 - Nov 10 by R17ALE

You're right. There is another pub in Simister. It's also another JW Lees pub called the Farmers Arms. Boozer's pub but nice enough.

Same Yet has a wonderful beer garden with a proper view of the moors above Norden I think. On a warm Sunday afternoon it's perfect for Sunday Lunch for about £6 iirc.

Access isn't easy though, you're right. For us lot it's first right just after Lancashire Health Club and then quarter of a mile on a surface that wouldn't look out of place on the moon!

ah right i thought it was a dead end up their you can go right thru then eh! will have to go sometime.

if you like beer gardens the one at the ozzy is massive when theirs concerts on in the park you can hear it quite clear, this is Bury Old Rd other side of the park to you.

quite like it up rammy way too and littleborough!
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:31 - Nov 10 with 1913 viewsrobshaker

mind you the woodthorpes got a big garden at the front be the same their, its abit posh tho bar staff wear white shirts n black aprons know what i mean..
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:48 - Nov 10 with 1885 viewsWalboro

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 12:54 - Nov 10 by mingthemerciless

Yes The Old Bridge Inn is still pretty good.

The Robin Hood at Cragg Vale proper old worldy pub with 3 rotating guests and 2 Timmy Taylor’s also excellent homemade food cask prices start from £2.60 The other is the King Bill at Shore now a free house Excellent food and 2 casks.Moorhouses White Witch permanently on and at the moment they are going through the Seriously Brewing Portfolio.
NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:08 - Nov 10 with 1864 viewsR17ALE

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:20 - Nov 10 by robshaker

ah right i thought it was a dead end up their you can go right thru then eh! will have to go sometime.

if you like beer gardens the one at the ozzy is massive when theirs concerts on in the park you can hear it quite clear, this is Bury Old Rd other side of the park to you.

Surely it'd be the famous old bury road?

I did hear we'd bought your joined up corners but they weren't big enough for Spotland.

Still, at least we've got a geet big scoreboard now, and I guarantee ours is brighter!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 22:09]

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:10 - Nov 10 with 1843 viewsTVOS1907

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 21:20 - Nov 10 by robshaker

'quite like it up rammy way'

Bet you do, rob.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:12 - Nov 10 with 1836 viewsR17ALE

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:10 - Nov 10 by TVOS1907

'quite like it up rammy way'

Bet you do, rob.

Sounds like something Gino would say to Holly with the nice jelly-wobblers!

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:20 - Nov 10 with 1823 viewsrobshaker

NFR: Best pub in Rochdale on 22:08 - Nov 10 by R17ALE

Surely it'd be the famous old bury road?

I did hear we'd bought your joined up corners but they weren't big enough for Spotland.

Still, at least we've got a geet big scoreboard now, and I guarantee ours is brighter!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 22:09]

oohh hur tvos knew you'd rise to that!

bought or stolen razz?? they didnt fit coz your grounds stands are too small and far apart Gigg is a larger more compact stadium.

*update* The pitch is cut and the stands jet washed.

we'll be even more famous than before!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024