Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mowbray's View 22:17 - Feb 6 with 3456 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"Tony Mowbray said he felt Rob Dickie was a potential weak link in the QPR team which Blackburn could exploit.

Mowbray’s play-off chasing side lost to the R’s 1-0 despite dominating large spells of the game.

He opted to play top scorer Adam Armstrong on the left-hand side with the intention of attacking right-sided centre-back Dickie."

Worth reading the whole thing as it's an unusually open analysis from an opposing manager.

Sinton spotted this from the off. And I think we expected it as well. I thought Dickie did well to limit Armstrong to a few off-balanced shots from outside the box. A 7/10 performance, but on his toughest assignment of the season (again) that's actually worth more than a 7 to the team.

Good reporting by WLS.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/blackburn-boss-believed-dickie-would-be-weak

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mowbray's View on 23:51 - Feb 6 with 3163 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I understand why he felt that because Armstrong gave Dickie a torrid time in the reverse fixture. However, Dickie has come on leaps and bounds since then.
Mowbray's View on 23:58 - Feb 6 with 3138 viewsNorthernr

He’ll get some grief about this but he’s right, and it worked at theirs and first half today.
Mowbray's View on 00:00 - Feb 7 with 3135 viewsdannyblue

Unusual for a manager to negatively pick out an individual opposition player like this. Always pleased to hear candour in an interview, but this seems to contravene an unwritten rule to me.
Mowbray's View on 00:08 - Feb 7 with 3108 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mowbray's View on 00:00 - Feb 7 by dannyblue

Unusual for a manager to negatively pick out an individual opposition player like this. Always pleased to hear candour in an interview, but this seems to contravene an unwritten rule to me.

Its all quite flattering when you think about it.

Good job Mackie brain-washed him when he had the chance.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Mowbray's View on 00:12 - Feb 7 with 3088 viewsrsonist

It's somewhat clickbaity on WLS' part. Presented like this it's as though he just blurted out he thinks Dickie's crap; presumably he was asked a specific (unreported) question implicitly critical of playing Elliott centrally and he gave a specific answer as to why.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 0:13]
Mowbray's View on 00:22 - Feb 7 with 3061 viewsdannyblue

Yes it must be a response to a question. It’s defensive from Mowbray - explaining his decision in an attempt to forestall criticism. Even so, I can’t recall a manager ever saying anything negative about the playing capabilities of an opposition player before. Yes I’ve heard them complain if an opponent milked a challenge and got someone sent off, or deliberately hurt someone. But not something negative about ability.
Mowbray's View on 00:25 - Feb 7 with 3035 viewstimcocking

Open analysis indeed. Interesting.

Dickie is cumbersome, that's probably fair, but so far he's been excellent for us. Weak link in the Championship my arse.

I'm waiting/preying for the day he ghosts forward from midfield and scores a thunderbastard for us.
Mowbray's View on 03:02 - Feb 7 with 2909 viewsBklynRanger

Hard to disagree with TM there in the sense that it is his prerogative - it's the way that he wants to live.
Login to get fewer ads

Mowbray's View on 08:12 - Feb 7 with 2664 viewsbakerloo8

Refreshing from Mowbray and only saying what we all know in that Dickie is great in the air and on the deck but turns like the USS Ronald Reagan.
Dickie won this battle this time but Mowbray was correct in deploying Armstrong against him.
Secret to Dickie becoming top class is how he overcomes and learns to play with his lack of pace.
Mowbray's View on 08:50 - Feb 7 with 2584 viewsrsonist

He can play whoever in the middle but Sam Gallagher is still the falsest 9 in the game.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 8:51]
Mowbray's View on 08:54 - Feb 7 with 2567 viewsdavman

The thing is though, watching those highlights, it could well have worked as there were three or four times that Armstrong did isolate Dickie and he breezed past him. With our WBs generally high up the pitch, there will always be gaps there and the left and right CBs will need to be makeshift full backs; as much as I like Dickie, Barbet is way more comfortable in that role...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Mowbray's View on 09:04 - Feb 7 with 2517 viewsstevec

If this means we are ‘stuck’ with Rob Dickie for a long time then I salute Tony Mowbray.
Mowbray's View on 09:38 - Feb 7 with 2403 viewsDorse

Mowbray's View on 09:04 - Feb 7 by stevec

If this means we are ‘stuck’ with Rob Dickie for a long time then I salute Tony Mowbray.

One-fingered or two-fingered salute?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Mowbray's View on 09:58 - Feb 7 with 2330 viewsbakerloo8

Mowbray's View on 08:54 - Feb 7 by davman

The thing is though, watching those highlights, it could well have worked as there were three or four times that Armstrong did isolate Dickie and he breezed past him. With our WBs generally high up the pitch, there will always be gaps there and the left and right CBs will need to be makeshift full backs; as much as I like Dickie, Barbet is way more comfortable in that role...

I think Dickie will end up in the centre of 3 where his pace is likely to be less exposed, he probably needs a bit more experience and be able to read the game better for that to happen. A pacy centre half to play in the middle or right of the 3 to compensate would be great, shame we still havent got Furlong as hed be class there.
Mowbray's View on 10:38 - Feb 7 with 2238 viewsDunstable_hoop

Mowbray's View on 08:54 - Feb 7 by davman

So Dickie in the middle, with Kakay on the right of the 3 then?

Sounds better
Mowbray's View on 10:59 - Feb 7 with 2182 viewsA40Bosh

Mowbray's View on 10:38 - Feb 7 by Dunstable_hoop

So Dickie in the middle, with Kakay on the right of the 3 then?

Sounds better

So we keep a clean sheet and we still want to tinker with things?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Mowbray's View on 13:36 - Feb 8 with 1815 viewsMalintabuk

Can the De Wijs fella play right side of a back 3?
If we do go down this route what happens with Captain America?
Guess Barbet would take that role. Not sure for now Warbs will change the formation that is doing pretty well.
Be interesting to see how we line up and with who once de Wijs does become available
Mowbray's View on 15:45 - Feb 8 with 1667 viewsrobith

Reading that Blackburn forum that got posted, one of their gripes was that Mowbray picks a team based on countering the oppo strengths and weaknesses more than setting out a set idea of playing to the exclusion of all else
Mowbray's View on 15:48 - Feb 8 with 1651 viewsLongsufferingR

Mowbray's View on 10:59 - Feb 7 by A40Bosh

So we keep a clean sheet and we still want to tinker with things?

Who doesn't want to tinker with Dickie every now and then?
Mowbray's View on 16:35 - Feb 8 with 1557 viewsBklynRanger

Mowbray's View on 15:48 - Feb 8 by LongsufferingR

Who doesn't want to tinker with Dickie every now and then?

I'm a bit disappointed that my Bobby Brown reference didn't seem to 'land'. This country.
Mowbray's View on 17:04 - Feb 8 with 1506 viewsPinnerPaul

Mowbray's View on 23:58 - Feb 6 by Northernr

He’ll get some grief about this but he’s right, and it worked at theirs and first half today.

PL for Armstrong if Blackburn don't go up you would think?
Mowbray's View on 19:27 - Feb 8 with 1386 viewsnix

Mowbray's View on 17:04 - Feb 8 by PinnerPaul

PL for Armstrong if Blackburn don't go up you would think?

I'd have thought so. Even Warbs was talking him up as a Premiership player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024