Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need a miracle 16:56 - Dec 26 with 8658 viewsGreenbay

Here are the facts.
Our team generally is League 1 standard.
This follows the departure of Eze, Manning plus loanees Hugill and Wells.
As we have no money we can only acquire players of League 1 standard.
Or players with future promise!
Whatever Warbs does can he improve what we've got?
He's trying to make a better cake but always with the same ingredients.
Will a different manager make any difference - perhaps a different system?
And with the same players.
Against Swansea Warbs did try a different system - but same result.
His philosophy is attractive football but with League 1 players.
Can he improve a defence that is always liable to concede and a forward line that is nowhere near the class of Hugill and Wells.
Unlikely.
However I still believe we can survive this season in the Championship.
But we do need lots of luck along with that miracle.
Two good things if the worst comes to the worst.
In 12 months time the virus hopefully will be under control and we'll be in the top 3 in League 1.
And that's all I've got to say - for the moment!
We need a miracle on 11:18 - Dec 27 with 1567 viewsNortholt_Rs

We need a miracle on 10:21 - Dec 27 by actonman

Don’t worry if you missed the game , just cast your mind back to one of many previous games as it’s pretty much the same every week.

Start well , create a few chances , don’t score , let the opposition score with their first attack, run out of ideas , make some subs about 65 mins , let the game Pieter out registering about 1 shot on target all game .

Try the Same again Tuesday lads is what’s written in Eustace notebook

Depressingly true I’m afraid....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

We need a miracle on 11:24 - Dec 27 with 1553 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We need a miracle on 10:34 - Dec 27 by daveB

I don't buy that this is a league one squad at all. Deing is a good keeper, at the back Kane and Barbet have over 100 games at this level they are not playing well but they are championship players. Dickie looks a good player. Carrol has played at the top level and is more than good enough for this level as is Cameron and Ball. Bright, Adomah, Wilock, Chair all good championship players.

I agree. I think they need a few reinforcements though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

We need a miracle on 11:44 - Dec 27 with 1522 viewsbaz_qpr

We need a miracle on 10:34 - Dec 27 by daveB

I don't buy that this is a league one squad at all. Deing is a good keeper, at the back Kane and Barbet have over 100 games at this level they are not playing well but they are championship players. Dickie looks a good player. Carrol has played at the top level and is more than good enough for this level as is Cameron and Ball. Bright, Adomah, Wilock, Chair all good championship players.

That does not mean all the components actually fit together to make a usable machine. If we are playing 3-5-2 then we need full backs / wing backs that can cross and create chances. If we continue to play the 4-2-3-1 then we need the back 4 to be solid and we need goal in the attacking midfield 3.

The usual voices calling for 4-4-2 we dont have the midfield to play it, we dont have midfielders who get beyond the strikers or have the legs and pace to cope with being 2 against 3

Yes I think Dieng, Dickie, Carrol, Chair. are all good players, Barbet is ok, Cameron and Adomah are sadly fading, Ball has energy and is a useful squad player. Dykes can deliver as we have seen for Scotland but needs work.

Bright we have to discount as he is going and is playing at 75%

Willock for me has flattered to deceive and is in my mind unproven

Full backs are very poor.

We lack spine, leadership and spirit. Its not unfixable but it needs quite drastic surgery to sort
We need a miracle on 12:54 - Dec 27 with 1453 viewsNorthantsHoop

We need a miracle on 11:44 - Dec 27 by baz_qpr

That does not mean all the components actually fit together to make a usable machine. If we are playing 3-5-2 then we need full backs / wing backs that can cross and create chances. If we continue to play the 4-2-3-1 then we need the back 4 to be solid and we need goal in the attacking midfield 3.

The usual voices calling for 4-4-2 we dont have the midfield to play it, we dont have midfielders who get beyond the strikers or have the legs and pace to cope with being 2 against 3

Yes I think Dieng, Dickie, Carrol, Chair. are all good players, Barbet is ok, Cameron and Adomah are sadly fading, Ball has energy and is a useful squad player. Dykes can deliver as we have seen for Scotland but needs work.

We lack spine, leadership and spirit. Its not unfixable but it needs quite drastic surgery to sort

It has been a struggle all season, in a way just got to muddle our way through it. I am sort of resigned to the relegation battle and now the reality that on current form a strong prospect of League 1 next season. I had major reservations when Cameron was made captain and reliance on him as a midfield stalwart sort of begs desperation, think Ball would have been a better choice. Whether Dykes will ever come good who knows, for me his positional sense as a centre forward especially in the box is poor. Physically we are lightweight and recruitment has not addressed this regardless of the budget, modern football requires strong, tall footballers, we don't have them especially in the midfield. Chair and Carrol all nice and very neat on the ball, but physically get out muscled.
We need a miracle on 14:14 - Dec 27 with 1366 viewsderbyhoop

We need a miracle on 17:13 - Dec 26 by superhoopdownunder

Whoever has recruited these players (and managers)?
They need to leave too.

It is a shambles.
No strategy.
No idea.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2020 17:14]

Maybe they are the best we could afford. As examples, we couldn't keep Hall and we couldn't sign Keifer Moore.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

We need a miracle on 14:22 - Dec 27 with 1350 viewsessextaxiboy

We need a miracle on 21:24 - Dec 26 by bosh67

I can't see the point of parting with MW. He needs to find a way to win but I think some people have amnesia and forget we've lost most of the squad that kept us in the division and are operating under increasingly difficult financial circumstances... through a pandemic!

MW does not need the money and he's not here for the salary. He's had to get rid of or sell most of his squad, promote U23s and find young players from a lower level.

He has at least gone with 2 up front and he needs to persist on that and it may come right. We have been poor since the pandemic started but we have lost many of our best players.

Most of all we lost Rangel who was a huge influence in the changing room and it may be an idea to offer him a coaching position here because we've not had anything like the same feel of leadership since his injury and subsequent termination of his contract.

Rangel is a much bigger loss dressing room wise than we can imagine.

I also don't think there is another manager out there who could cope with the limitations we are under.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2020 21:25]

I think Paul Cook could.

He over delivered during all the Wigan saga and only quit when control was taken from him.
We need a miracle on 14:29 - Dec 27 with 1330 viewskarl

I couldn't get to watch the game yesterday.
I'm disappointed Adomah has stalled as I thought he was going to be a great addition with his crossing ability in early matches.
Of the two right backs I think Kakay is a better, more tenacious defender but has poor quality in the attacking third, Kane never gets close, quick enough, to the winger and stop dangerous early crosses. He did have very good crossing ability himself but that seems to have deserted him now as well.
That said I thought Kakays energy and Albert's skills were a good combination on that flank and I'm wondering why that's not been the combination for so long?
If we played 4-4-2 I would use that combination on the right and tell Niko to hold the left safely, don't bomb forward and leave 2 CBs on their own, it would shape its self as an off centre 3-5-2/3-4-3 very quickly, although it does depend on taking control of a game if we did start off the pace Dykes has shown defensive work doesn't put him off so he could come deeper allowing Bonne to stay up.
With current squad I'd play Chair left of Cameron or Ball and Carrol centre. If Niko was to stay disciplined defensively it should allow Chair freedom he needs to be effective.
Biggest thing missing though is an on field organiser as it must be apparent there isn't one in the squad, get one of them in on loan for either CB or CDM and we'll see those stupid goals conceded from losing concentration dry up and also have a proper shape when we lose possession.
I don't know who that player is but the coaches know the characters in the game and should have an idea, although MW had big trouble with Barton and I do wonder if he has a problem with experienced players? A player able to sort formation on the pitch will have plenty opinions on other matters off pitch so if he doesn't want that then he needs to get his megaphone out again and keep instructions flowing from the sidelines, is he suffering lack of confidence too?

Joey Barton is not the answer just an example of someone MW has struggled with.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2020 14:32]
We need a miracle on 16:49 - Dec 27 with 1219 viewsMatch82

In the nicest possible way "we need a miracle" might be over egging it a bit. We are still outside the relegation. Zone by a few places and a few points.

Personally I think the risk of twisting is worse than the risk of sticking, but it's getting harder and harder to justify why he should keep his job. Stubbornness being the main problem.
Login to get fewer ads

We need a miracle on 20:47 - Dec 27 with 1097 viewsGreenbay

We need a miracle on 21:23 - Dec 26 by Hunterhoop

OP:

“Here are the facts.”

Begins with a subjective opinion.

Typical.

Personally, I think the first team squad is comfortably Championship standard. I’d use performances given again at top 6 sides as evidence.

I think a new manager will keep us up and improve performances, results and PPG.

1. Objective not subjective.

2. We are not currently as a team 'comfortably Championship standard.'
The league table does not lie.

We have four players of Championship quality - Dieng, Dickie, Chair, and BOS.
Others have been Championship standard and could be again.

11 of yesterday's 20-man squad have the ability to be Championship standard or better.
That's why there's room for optimism. But development is only going to happen on the training ground and there's almost nil time for that.

3. Passion is great but staying calm in a crisis is what's needed now.

4. No good changing the sticking plaster (manager) to solve a heart attack (club).
The same problems will still remain.
We need a miracle on 22:35 - Dec 27 with 1004 viewsHunterhoop

We need a miracle on 20:47 - Dec 27 by Greenbay

1. Objective not subjective.

2. We are not currently as a team 'comfortably Championship standard.'
The league table does not lie.

We have four players of Championship quality - Dieng, Dickie, Chair, and BOS.
Others have been Championship standard and could be again.

11 of yesterday's 20-man squad have the ability to be Championship standard or better.
That's why there's room for optimism. But development is only going to happen on the training ground and there's almost nil time for that.

3. Passion is great but staying calm in a crisis is what's needed now.

4. No good changing the sticking plaster (manager) to solve a heart attack (club).
The same problems will still remain.

It’s not “objective”. It is your opinion. It is not a fact. And you can’t, none of us can, be truly objective.

Some agree with you, some don’t.

Your post is fine apart from making out you are objective and posting facts. That last post is just your personal opinion, i.e. purely subjective, point after point. None of it is a fact.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2020 23:12]
We need a miracle on 23:10 - Dec 27 with 968 viewsdaveB

We need a miracle on 11:44 - Dec 27 by baz_qpr

i'm not suggesting the team is playing well or that we won't go down but it wouldn't take a miracle to keep this side up, some decent defensive organisation and some sensible loan signings next month we should be fine
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024