Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, students. 09:44 - Sep 27 with 3337 viewsonehunglow

Many spending their time in demoes now find the virus has caught up with them and now they're in lock down.

Hmm

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So, students. on 20:05 - Sep 27 with 671 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 19:07 - Sep 27 by Catullus

On reopening pubs and track and trace we agree. Common sense is lost when alcohol kicks in and yes, we can fight the virus better if we know where it is.

I've come around to Andy1300's opinion, we need to protect the most vulnerable but open up as much as possible otherwise BUT we also need to keep increasing track and trace until the virus is in full retreat.

We should be testing everybody because there are asymptomatic people out there spreading this virus. Every time we find someone with no symptoms but who is infectious we win a small battle

It isnt practical to test everyone. You would need over 3 million tests for Wales and 66 million across the UK. Many of Wales tests are being done by Lighthouse Labs and they cannot cope now when we are doing 10,000 tests a day. Even if we manage to double the amount that would still mean every person being tested every person being tested approx every 150 days. How many of those would test positive very few. We cannot cope in the UK of just testing those and nowhere in the world is testing everywhere. Our current rate of testing is higher than other places except the system cannot cope,

As far as closing pubs I totally agree and do not think that they should have been opened. If I went with you into a pub how would the landlord know if we were from the same household. The whole nature of pubs makes them problematic.

As far as just protecting the most vulnerable. What do you suggest. Putting all vulnerable people in shielding until we find a vaccination. The best guess on when that will be found is next year sometime and you would have to lock people away for 6 months to a year. What happens if a vaccination isnt found or causes other illnesses. Are you planning locking the vulnerable away for ever. Even if you lockdown the vulnerable they might catch it. Your son could bring it back to you as an example.
So, students. on 21:04 - Sep 27 with 640 viewsbritferry

Put them all in one room, throw in a few bars of soap and lock the doors... then dont let them out til they've all had a bloody good wash.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

So, students. on 21:06 - Sep 27 with 638 viewsAndy1300

So, students. on 20:05 - Sep 27 by exhmrc1

It isnt practical to test everyone. You would need over 3 million tests for Wales and 66 million across the UK. Many of Wales tests are being done by Lighthouse Labs and they cannot cope now when we are doing 10,000 tests a day. Even if we manage to double the amount that would still mean every person being tested every person being tested approx every 150 days. How many of those would test positive very few. We cannot cope in the UK of just testing those and nowhere in the world is testing everywhere. Our current rate of testing is higher than other places except the system cannot cope,

As far as closing pubs I totally agree and do not think that they should have been opened. If I went with you into a pub how would the landlord know if we were from the same household. The whole nature of pubs makes them problematic.

As far as just protecting the most vulnerable. What do you suggest. Putting all vulnerable people in shielding until we find a vaccination. The best guess on when that will be found is next year sometime and you would have to lock people away for 6 months to a year. What happens if a vaccination isnt found or causes other illnesses. Are you planning locking the vulnerable away for ever. Even if you lockdown the vulnerable they might catch it. Your son could bring it back to you as an example.

If you have your way, you’d have us all locked away forever.

What other illness do we lock everyone up for? We don’t!

Number 1 team in Wales

So, students. on 21:13 - Sep 27 with 627 viewsKilkennyjack

So, students. on 21:06 - Sep 27 by Andy1300

I am not sure you understand this tbh.

You are trying to wish away a global pandemic.
You may as well try to stop the tides.

Get real that man.

Beware of the Risen People

So, students. on 21:16 - Sep 27 with 622 viewsexhmrc1

I wouldnt lock everyone away. There are 2 areas that particularly cause figures to rise, People bringing in the virus from abroad and pubs where it spreads. Shops opened and the figures continued to drop without people wearing masks. The figures kept dropping when schools opened in June. The problem is now that many other sectors are suffering due to us failing to lockdown these areas. Open up daily figures and have a look at the graph that shows have daily cases have reduced and started increasing. You will see that cases reduced while testing increased but have now started rising and it is nothing to do with testing.

https://t.co/zpWRYSUbfh?amp=1
So, students. on 21:17 - Sep 27 with 617 viewsDJack

Honestly, what part of "novel virus" do you not understand.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

So, students. on 21:19 - Sep 27 with 617 viewscontroversial_jack

So, students. on 21:16 - Sep 27 by exhmrc1

I wouldnt lock everyone away. There are 2 areas that particularly cause figures to rise, People bringing in the virus from abroad and pubs where it spreads. Shops opened and the figures continued to drop without people wearing masks. The figures kept dropping when schools opened in June. The problem is now that many other sectors are suffering due to us failing to lockdown these areas. Open up daily figures and have a look at the graph that shows have daily cases have reduced and started increasing. You will see that cases reduced while testing increased but have now started rising and it is nothing to do with testing.

https://t.co/zpWRYSUbfh?amp=1

Seems like Universities are the hot spots
So, students. on 21:28 - Sep 27 with 608 viewsSwanjaxs

So, students. on 21:19 - Sep 27 by controversial_jack

Young and nubile .

Away from mam and dads prying eyes.

Drinking and taking all sorts.

Nah, can't see it myself 🤔

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

So, students. on 21:43 - Sep 27 with 592 viewsDJack

So, students. on 21:28 - Sep 27 by Swanjaxs

Young and nubile .

Away from mam and dads prying eyes.

Drinking and taking all sorts.

Nah, can't see it myself 🤔

That's why the judge put the injunction on you last time, wasn't it.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

So, students. on 21:51 - Sep 27 with 586 viewsSwanjaxs

So, students. on 21:43 - Sep 27 by DJack

That's why the judge put the injunction on you last time, wasn't it.

Well yes...

But this isn't about me 👀

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

So, students. on 21:58 - Sep 27 with 567 viewspikeypaul

Hahaha ,the usual suspects trying to politicise the pandemic.students complaining about not being able to go on the p!ss just about sums them and their priorities up, but hey they know they have virtually zero chance of kicking the bucket from it and obviously don’t care a flying feck who they pass it on to.

OUT

AFLI

🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

So, students. on 22:04 - Sep 27 with 568 viewsAndy1300

So, students. on 21:17 - Sep 27 by DJack

Honestly, what part of "novel virus" do you not understand.

That has a 99% survival rate

Number 1 team in Wales

So, students. on 22:14 - Sep 27 with 559 viewsexhmrc1

Universities have only just reopened. Swansea University has the term starting tomorrow as an example. I am not totally convinced that is the real reason and have asked my Senydd member for figures of how many cases locally are students which he doesnt have. What the figures are showing is that double figures in Wales each day are for residents outside of Wales. It could be students. It might be holiday makers. Also had the figures been kept low like they were up until August then there wouldnt have been anything like the same spread. There arent many students in places like Caerphilly, Llanelli and Rhondda Cynon Taf and Ceredigion where Aberystwyth is hasnt had a huge increase or Gwynedd where Bangor university is so i doubt it is the main reason although it might be having an effect in Swansea and Cardiff from overseas students.
So, students. on 22:29 - Sep 27 with 551 viewsProfessor

No. There are universities In hotspots and often large student populations (Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool). In general the rates in students are the same as local communities. The problem may yet emerge of new cases in areas of low rates.
So, students. on 22:36 - Sep 27 with 542 viewsLuther27

So, students. on 22:29 - Sep 27 by Professor

No. There are universities In hotspots and often large student populations (Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool). In general the rates in students are the same as local communities. The problem may yet emerge of new cases in areas of low rates.

Quick look at Scots cases and it seems nigh on 80% of cases are age 16 to 45 so you may well be right.
Just think if we locked down that age group instead of over 45 as SAGE looked into.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

So, students. on 22:36 - Sep 27 with 541 viewsSwanjaxs

So, students. on 21:58 - Sep 27 by pikeypaul

Hahaha ,the usual suspects trying to politicise the pandemic.students complaining about not being able to go on the p!ss just about sums them and their priorities up, but hey they know they have virtually zero chance of kicking the bucket from it and obviously don’t care a flying feck who they pass it on to.

OUT

AFLI

🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

Take your meds and get yourself off to bed you senile old duffer ...

Keep an eye out for the next door neighbours bum when she cuts the grass btw 👍🏻

GFY 🇮🇪

So, students. on 22:39 - Sep 27 with 539 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 22:04 - Sep 27 by Andy1300

That has a 99% survival rate

You know it’s not binary. Live or die. You can live and be pretty screwed
Up too. May yet have a huge effect on life expectancy. The disease has been around less than a year. But then 1% is only 670,000 lives In the U.K.. Or thirty full Liberty Stadium’s worth. Similar numbers with long term problems and sequelae. Or perhaps you would prefer the approach used for the last big viral outbreak in the U.K. in 2001? Culling suspected infections and contiguous culls i.e neighbours worked well for a more transmissible disease.

And don’t forget the false negative rate is around five times greater than the false positives
So, students. on 22:42 - Sep 27 with 538 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 22:36 - Sep 27 by Luther27

Quick look at Scots cases and it seems nigh on 80% of cases are age 16 to 45 so you may well be right.
Just think if we locked down that age group instead of over 45 as SAGE looked into.

Yes. That’s the case. My university (Liverpool) has taken on its own testing and is working closely with the local director of public health. Although we have picked up around 100 positives, it is in line with the expected for 18-24 year olds in the city.
So, students. on 22:46 - Sep 27 with 533 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 22:14 - Sep 27 by exhmrc1

Universities have only just reopened. Swansea University has the term starting tomorrow as an example. I am not totally convinced that is the real reason and have asked my Senydd member for figures of how many cases locally are students which he doesnt have. What the figures are showing is that double figures in Wales each day are for residents outside of Wales. It could be students. It might be holiday makers. Also had the figures been kept low like they were up until August then there wouldnt have been anything like the same spread. There arent many students in places like Caerphilly, Llanelli and Rhondda Cynon Taf and Ceredigion where Aberystwyth is hasnt had a huge increase or Gwynedd where Bangor university is so i doubt it is the main reason although it might be having an effect in Swansea and Cardiff from overseas students.

Unlikely students are coming from places with higher rates than the U.K. my friend- this is our making now and importation of new cases is a tiny fraction.

Will do a full reply tomorrow. A lot of misconceptions on here. But you are right about pubs now.
So, students. on 22:47 - Sep 27 with 530 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 22:14 - Sep 27 by exhmrc1

And we have not been shut. Most people have been working extremely hard to deliver teaching this year or supporting Covid research.
So, students. on 22:50 - Sep 27 with 527 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 22:46 - Sep 27 by Professor

Unlikely students are coming from places with higher rates than the U.K. my friend- this is our making now and importation of new cases is a tiny fraction.

Will do a full reply tomorrow. A lot of misconceptions on here. But you are right about pubs now.

I mean a more general one about the thread- not your comments specifically exhmrc-
They are largely in the right direction
So, students. on 22:53 - Sep 27 with 524 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 22:47 - Sep 27 by Professor

And we have not been shut. Most people have been working extremely hard to deliver teaching this year or supporting Covid research.

Sorry I might have worded that badly. I meant closed to most students during the summer. Universities are open and staff are in doing research throughout the summer but the majority of undergrads go home for the summer and return in September.
So, students. on 00:20 - Sep 28 with 506 viewscontroversial_jack

So, students. on 22:42 - Sep 27 by Professor

Yes. That’s the case. My university (Liverpool) has taken on its own testing and is working closely with the local director of public health. Although we have picked up around 100 positives, it is in line with the expected for 18-24 year olds in the city.

The Glasgow uni has had 172 positive cases out of whatever the student population there is. That would work out considerably higher percentage wise for 18-24 year olds than in any city or town in the UK.
So, students. on 07:08 - Sep 28 with 465 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 00:20 - Sep 28 by controversial_jack

The Glasgow uni has had 172 positive cases out of whatever the student population there is. That would work out considerably higher percentage wise for 18-24 year olds than in any city or town in the UK.

Over 70k students in Glasgow. If as suggested 80% of cases are in young groups then this is fewer than 50 per 100,000. Slightly higher but not hugely. Remember they have been back longer,
So not unexpected
So, students. on 10:05 - Sep 28 with 417 viewscontroversial_jack

So, students. on 07:08 - Sep 28 by Professor

Over 70k students in Glasgow. If as suggested 80% of cases are in young groups then this is fewer than 50 per 100,000. Slightly higher but not hugely. Remember they have been back longer,
So not unexpected

That was for the one particular Uni, there aren't 70 k there, surely?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024