Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? 09:13 - Aug 24 with 3160 viewsswancity

Signed in 2016 for a Club record £15.5m. Yes that’s right £15.5 million pounds.

Played in 38 games scoring 7 goals in four years as a Swan before leaving for nothing, yes a free transfer to Aston Villa who have shown him the door. Did he ever score in the Premier League?

That takes some beating. Anything worse that that? Surely not ?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 19:24 - Aug 24 with 945 viewsdobjack2

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 18:20 - Aug 24 by britferry

re-signing Bony from Man City and Ayew from WHU, still can't believe we were that desperate

Bony was down buying at the end of window. Someone thought it was the time you get bargains when in reality you risk paying over the odds for what’s left on the shelf because otherwise you are going home With nothing.
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 20:13 - Aug 24 with 921 viewsswancity

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 19:06 - Aug 24 by jasper_T

Pocket change at the time and he spent most of his contract out on subsidised loans.

Pocket change at the time ?

£3.5m ?

Which was the annual turnover of Swansea City FC not that long ago so no it wasn’t pocket change. It represents one of our biggest ever outlays on a player as well so it’s big money and if it was regarded by certain people as pocket change it explains a lot of the mistakes and complacency when dealing with such huge sums of money.

Clucas for example at £16m was just a few pockets full of change then was it ....

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 20:27 - Aug 24 with 909 viewsKilkennyjack

I agree.

No strength, no pace, no awareness of leading the line, and almost nothing in terms of being a natural goal scorer.

Anyone who scouted him should be sacked.

Pawel Abbott like in a bad way.

Big nose could have got Allen for less, which makes it worse.

A football disaster. He would struggle in League 2.

Beware of the Risen People

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 20:30 - Aug 24 with 903 viewsmajorraglan

Pocket change at the time and he spent most of his contract out on subsidised loans.

Granted he wasn’t the most expensive signing, but in terms of first team games he didn’t get many and from what I recall it was zero in the PL.
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 20:51 - Aug 24 with 891 viewsReslovenSwan1

Bora is only 28 has not be crippled by serious injuries fresh as a daisy and still no one wants him for free these days. Whatever his value was it has disappeared from his very soul.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 22:16 - Aug 24 with 852 viewsBillyChong

Clucas by a long way
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 23:05 - Aug 24 with 828 viewsNortbankboy

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 20:27 - Aug 24 by Kilkennyjack

I agree.

No strength, no pace, no awareness of leading the line, and almost nothing in terms of being a natural goal scorer.

Anyone who scouted him should be sacked.

Pawel Abbott like in a bad way.

Big nose could have got Allen for less, which makes it worse.

A football disaster. He would struggle in League 2.

But at the time a lot of clubs were after him.And we're gutted when we.got him first
You can never get it right everytime.
But over 15 yrs I think the good signings outweighs the bad ones
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 03:13 - Aug 25 with 817 viewsWanderer

Not a player but still signed, assistant coach Beattie, power snoozes in the dugout, c'mon.
Login to get fewer ads

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 07:21 - Aug 25 with 792 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:45 - Aug 24 by swancity

Understand your point but good players make things happen don’t they. And within a team framework you try to play to strengths of your influential players where possible

Bastón didn’t do much running, being static was a part of his problem clearly. He didn’t look up for it sadly.

You really are clueless aren’t you. And you write articles on footbal??
They might as well blindfolded Oldjack and stuck a keyboard in front of him ......

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 11:33 - Aug 25 with 741 viewsswancity

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 07:21 - Aug 25 by Brynmill_Jack

You really are clueless aren’t you. And you write articles on footbal??
They might as well blindfolded Oldjack and stuck a keyboard in front of him ......

You’ve got a way with words 😂

Just opinions. But you do sense that some footballers don’t really want to put themselves out too much. As in life I suppose and in any other profession some will work harder than others ...

Our success was built around a togetherness, a team spirit. Players who fought for each other on that pitch. Once you have one of more big time Charlie in your team it’s when the problems start.

Someone said Bastón was a nice fella! Well get out on that pitch, train hard as if your life depends on it and earn your big bucks then.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:04 - Aug 25 with 721 viewsdobjack2

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 11:33 - Aug 25 by swancity

Just opinions. But you do sense that some footballers don’t really want to put themselves out too much. As in life I suppose and in any other profession some will work harder than others ...

Our success was built around a togetherness, a team spirit. Players who fought for each other on that pitch. Once you have one of more big time Charlie in your team it’s when the problems start.

Someone said Bastón was a nice fella! Well get out on that pitch, train hard as if your life depends on it and earn your big bucks then.

It wasn’t only about paying far too much for players and not having a coherent transfer strategy or style of play to fit into.

When the going gets tough you can see who cares about the badge; it looked as if we didn’t research characters either.

Knowing the answers to how and why we ended up signing Bony (Second time) and Baston and the way we thought we were going to play them and the role we signed Clucas to play would probably give a final answer as all 3 ended up as bad signings.

Without that info I’d go with Baston as he didn’t appear to have the appetite for British football. Bony appeared to be an utter panic signing whilst we paid at least double Clucas’ value for a midfielder that didn’t have a great record for goals or assists at Hull.
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:44 - Aug 25 with 703 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 11:33 - Aug 25 by swancity

“Good players make things happen” you said. He never had the f*cking ball! When he got service at the beginning of last season he scored 6 goals in almost as many games.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:51 - Aug 25 with 700 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 10:22 - Aug 24 by GeoffThom

Sam clucus gets that award

Is that the same clucas who scored 10 goals and 6 assist with a very poor Stoke side? If only our fans supported him instead of getting on his back. He showed his class in both games against arsenal and always seemed to play better away from home.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 14:10 - Aug 25 with 682 viewsswancity

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:44 - Aug 25 by Brynmill_Jack

“Good players make things happen” you said. He never had the f*cking ball! When he got service at the beginning of last season he scored 6 goals in almost as many games.

“ He never had the ball “

Indeed. And he didn’t exactly put himself out looking for it either. Even showing at throw ins or making runs to help out team mates. He was a bit shy in the hard work dept I’d say. I watched carefully in the Liverpool game I think it was and could see a player going through the motions.

There’ll always be differences of opinions but in his case I can’t see any real defence for his lack of appetite to work hard as that’s the very minimum requirement from any player isn’t it..

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:08 - Aug 25 with 663 viewsdobjack2

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 12:51 - Aug 25 by felixstowe_jack

Is that the same clucas who scored 10 goals and 6 assist with a very poor Stoke side? If only our fans supported him instead of getting on his back. He showed his class in both games against arsenal and always seemed to play better away from home.

Had a good goalscoring season last season.

His goalscoring in the premier/ championship for the previous 4 seasons was 3,3, 3 and 6.

For the money paid for him he was a poor signing.
Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:12 - Aug 25 with 661 viewsswancity

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:08 - Aug 25 by dobjack2

Had a good goalscoring season last season.

His goalscoring in the premier/ championship for the previous 4 seasons was 3,3, 3 and 6.

For the money paid for him he was a poor signing.

Yes pitiful and woeful apart from the occasional, very occasional moment.

I'd love to know the full story leading up to his signing on the dotted line.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:28 - Aug 25 with 648 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:12 - Aug 25 by swancity

Yes pitiful and woeful apart from the occasional, very occasional moment.

I'd love to know the full story leading up to his signing on the dotted line.

Far far worse a signing than Bastón.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:30 - Aug 25 with 647 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 14:10 - Aug 25 by swancity

“ He never had the ball “

Indeed. And he didn’t exactly put himself out looking for it either. Even showing at throw ins or making runs to help out team mates. He was a bit shy in the hard work dept I’d say. I watched carefully in the Liverpool game I think it was and could see a player going through the motions.

There’ll always be differences of opinions but in his case I can’t see any real defence for his lack of appetite to work hard as that’s the very minimum requirement from any player isn’t it..

That’s right Nige, make the centre forward run back to pick the ball up off the centre half.

Don’t give up the day job. If you’ve got one......,

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:52 - Aug 25 with 638 viewsraynor94

He had 2 good seasons whilst out on loan, in his younger days, no matter how you try to dress it up, he has had an underwhelming career.

Be interesting to see if he finds a club or retires on his riches.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 17:27 - Aug 25 with 624 viewsswancity

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 15:30 - Aug 25 by Brynmill_Jack

That’s right Nige, make the centre forward run back to pick the ball up off the centre half.

Don’t give up the day job. If you’ve got one......,

No you don’t do that as it would be silly 😂

But talking of which have you noticed what an asset the likes of Llorente and Bony can be when defending corners. And Bastón must be 6’2 ish. You rate him, I don’t know why but it’s no big deal.

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 09:10 - Sep 7 with 480 viewsraynor94

Signed for Leganes, in the segunda division, tells you everything you need to know

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Borja Bastón Worst Ever Swans Signing ? on 11:28 - Sep 7 with 457 viewsReslovenSwan1

Only one person thought Borja was a good player. The Swansea head scout Mr Leadbetter. Guidolin, Bradley, Clement, Calvalhal, Potter Cooper and Smith at Villa did not rate him at all. There was on moment when he dovetailed naturally with McBurney in a pre season friendly v Exeter for 15 mins then it was gone.

Wise sage since Toshack era

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024