Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Over 50’s NI contributions 07:01 - Apr 29 with 7360 viewsloftboy

Damien Green has proposed that the over 50’s pay an extra £350 a year to pay for social care, seeing as everyone is expected to live longer shouldn’t this be spread across the entire work force?
My other bone of contention is that the majority of people over 50 left school at 16 and went straight into work and have probably paid an extra 5 years worth compared with kids that today stay in education for what seems like forever..
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 7:07]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:03 - Apr 30 with 1664 viewsCiderwithRsie

Over 50’s NI contributions on 18:32 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Women can’t have it both ways, either they want equality or they don’t, easiest thing would have been to bring the men’s retirement age forward to 60!!

That's not the point. As Stowmarket points out, and I said in my post, the point is that they were told they had paid enough in to retire at 60, they plan accordingly, then just a few years before that date they are told they have to work to 66.

How's that different from all of us being asked to pay in more NI over age of 50, when we all thought we were covered?

Funnily enough blokes over 50 (like me) don't much like it, but damn few of us protested when the squeeze was being put on someone else.

PS the easiest thing wouldn't have been to bring men's retirement age to 60 as the country would go bust - all of us have to face higher retirement age, mine is 67, but at least I got warned in time.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:25 - Apr 30 with 1628 viewsloftboy

Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:03 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

That's not the point. As Stowmarket points out, and I said in my post, the point is that they were told they had paid enough in to retire at 60, they plan accordingly, then just a few years before that date they are told they have to work to 66.

How's that different from all of us being asked to pay in more NI over age of 50, when we all thought we were covered?

Funnily enough blokes over 50 (like me) don't much like it, but damn few of us protested when the squeeze was being put on someone else.

PS the easiest thing wouldn't have been to bring men's retirement age to 60 as the country would go bust - all of us have to face higher retirement age, mine is 67, but at least I got warned in time.

I was tongue in cheek with that one, 67 for me too but realistically having started my life again 3 1/2 years ago I’ll still be working at 70.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 22:16 - Apr 30 with 1584 viewsCiderwithRsie

Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:25 - Apr 30 by loftboy

I was tongue in cheek with that one, 67 for me too but realistically having started my life again 3 1/2 years ago I’ll still be working at 70.

Good luck, luckily for me I like my work! I'll be very happy if I'm still working at 70, kinda hoping it'll be part-time though.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 22:24 - Apr 30 with 1580 viewsLblock

Over 50’s NI contributions on 15:43 - Apr 30 by BuckR

Only real way of making sure you are valued under the threshold is to actually gift your assets to your children early whilst surviving past 7 years after the gift thus avoiding inheritance tax, but obviously these are steps that very few people will take as it means trusting your kids not to go and blow the lot! In all honesty the only advice I would give is to not explore any of these avenues without seeing a very savvy solicitor first. None of these options provide any kind of guarantee and can get some people in a real mess
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 15:43]

I haven't got any kids so me and the missus are a bit snookered there.

I know from bitter experience on Inheritance Tax it all depends on the interpretation of the officer dealing with it at the time and you're in the lap of hummanity there.
Much akin to if it's getting to 4:30pm on a Friday, i need to place an order with someone to do some work on a Monday and just want to get the working week done I might not push the price as much as I would've the day before.

Totally wrong but thats life.

I did see they've also changed the 7 year rule so it's not pro-rat a seventh per year.
The utter bstards

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Over 50’s NI contributions on 22:30 - Apr 30 with 1575 viewsLblock

Over 50’s NI contributions on 13:17 - Apr 30 by ted_hendrix

I'm currently looking into handing the house over to both my lads so they own It, we will pay them a rent of say £1 per Month and keep a rent book in a way that will keep it above board.
Not sure if this will work as 'get out' so to speak but like I say i'm just looking into it.

As noted "market rates" comes into play here.

Now it may well be that you ONLY rent a room off of them and have use of the common areas of the house with other tennants possibly being found.... sure your lads will be VERY fussy about the other tenants (unless one was say Gareth Bale) and those other rooms may be empty for a while.
Also the rent may be low for that one room you're renting as you're liable for gardening, repairs etc.

And also it's absolutely no problem if your lads pay for your holiday every year as a treat or even give you a present each year at Christmas of say three grand. I'm sure they wouldn't gift you anymore than that as it's above the exemption threshold but if they do then tax kicks in.

As the HMRC says... Tax doesn't have to be taxing.

Now I must pay the lovely w@nker$ the demand I have of just over a grand from 2017/18.... lovely

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Over 50’s NI contributions on 01:30 - May 1 with 1529 viewsBoston

Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:09 - Apr 29 by Lblock

Damn.... is this political?

Ah fcuk it, here goes anyway.

It’s a disgrace and will only get worse under Comrade Corbyn
As my old man says... I came into this world with nothing and I’m gonna make sure I leave it with nothing
Spend it don’t save it, they’ll only take it off you when you need it most

Your dad needs to talk with a good financial planner...if he considers it too late, then you need too.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 03:06 - May 1 with 1506 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:23 - Apr 29 by Rangersw12

Whilst enjoying tge best pensions , free education and house prices very low

Don't try and make out older people had it tough FFS
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 19:24]

Best pensions? Free education? Low house prices? What is this sorcery you speak of?

This is not a matter of old v. young, it's a question of fairness and it is simply not fair for over 50s to pay more N.I.. The state pension age was raised to 66 to cover the cost of an ageing population and will soon rise again to 67.

This proposal is just a stealth tax in disguise. The young should be mindful that they too will be 50 one day and these rules, if passed, will apply to them too!
Over 50’s NI contributions on 07:06 - May 1 with 1437 viewsdistortR

we keep hearing how there has to be a transfer of wealth from old to young.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the young, further education a commodity, house prices up, decent job opportunities down and workers rights being constantly eroded.

But the transfer of wealth needs to come from those who can afford to give it - from rich to poor. But it's going from the poor to the rich.

For how much longer will we accept our role as a supporting cast(e)?
[Post edited 1 May 2019 7:14]
Login to get fewer ads

Over 50’s NI contributions on 07:20 - May 1 with 1428 viewsjonno

Over 50’s NI contributions on 21:03 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

Exactly right. I fully accept that the demographics meant that something had to be done but it should have been a much longer sliding scale so that women closer to retirement age would have to wait fewer extra years before receiving their pension. When you look at the amount of extra money that would have cost it is actually tiny. So tiny in fact that you suspect that this is more the usual case of the British government punishing its citizens who they clearly detest. Living in Cyprus, I am so glad I no longer pay the British government any tax. But despite working and paying tax and NI in the UK for 42 years I find I still have to make two more years NI contributions if I want to receive the maximum state pension once I am entitled to it.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:07 - May 1 with 1323 viewsloftboy

So today alone the government has paid or rather the tax payer has paid £50 million to ferry companies after cancelling no deal Brexit contracts and 120 million to prop up British steel. Something stinks!

Over 50’s NI contributions on 22:17 - May 1 with 1231 viewsoldmisery

Well, I'm over 50 and I don't wish to contribute to Northern Ireland, in fact I've never even been there. What? That's not what this thread is all about you say.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 06:21 - May 2 with 1169 viewsWatford_Ranger

Over 50’s NI contributions on 19:07 - May 1 by loftboy

So today alone the government has paid or rather the tax payer has paid £50 million to ferry companies after cancelling no deal Brexit contracts and 120 million to prop up British steel. Something stinks!

Magic money tree innit.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:54 - May 8 with 1021 viewsBluce_Ree

Over 50’s NI contributions on 08:58 - Apr 29 by stowmarketrange

I agree with the op.I started paying NI at 18,and you only need to pay 41 years worth to get the full benefits.Does that mean I can stop paying on my 59th birthday in September?Does it hell.They should get an extra 7 year’s payments from me for nothing extra.
Either use it for social care,give me added pension or stop taking payments from me.
None of those 3 will happen though.
And what about all those poor sods that die before they get to pension age?There must be billions swishing about going spare.

About that.

41?

I thought you had to pay 35 years NI to qualify for state pension?

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:07 - May 8 with 975 viewsstowmarketrange

Over 50’s NI contributions on 11:54 - May 8 by Bluce_Ree

About that.

41?

I thought you had to pay 35 years NI to qualify for state pension?

I’ve just checked and it’s 30 years for the old pension,but only 10 for the new one.That makes it even more unfair then assuming I will have to pay 48 years worth of NI for nothing extra.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 14:47 - May 8 with 901 viewsDavieQPR

Over 50’s NI contributions on 22:17 - May 1 by oldmisery

Well, I'm over 50 and I don't wish to contribute to Northern Ireland, in fact I've never even been there. What? That's not what this thread is all about you say.

…. and I don't want to contribute to China, India,certain African states and a bl**dy radio to cover parts of Russia. We need to stop wasting so much on foreign aid.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 15:11 - May 8 with 873 viewsswisscottage

Over 50’s NI contributions on 14:04 - Apr 29 by Juzzie

I'm 51 and started work at 16 (well, a week before my 17th birthday if I'm honest) and I'll be fked if they think I should pay more because I might live longer. As others have said, I've done 6-7 years more work than people who go to Uni and come out at 23 with no job and £30k debt.

ditto .. well I'm 50, but otherwise almost word for word my feelings.
Over 50’s NI contributions on 17:34 - May 8 with 795 viewsBluce_Ree

Over 50’s NI contributions on 12:07 - May 8 by stowmarketrange

I’ve just checked and it’s 30 years for the old pension,but only 10 for the new one.That makes it even more unfair then assuming I will have to pay 48 years worth of NI for nothing extra.

Ah I see. That's for the basic state pension. 35 for the full state pension.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024