Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 17:42 - Aug 25 with 7802 viewsBlackCrowe

It was a nailbiter but thought we were just about worth the win. Proper forward play by the two newbies and much better organisation by the defence and Lumley very assured, always talking to his back line. much better.

Also 99.9% certain I saw Idris Elba outside the ground afterwards next to my car. He was absolutely off his trolley with a couple of mates. Is he an R?
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 17:46]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 05:35 - Aug 26 with 1480 viewsfunkyworm

Just back on 02:35 - Aug 26 by RANGERS4EVER

Probably going against opinion but thought the ref had a shocker. First, I thought our goal shouldn't have stood for a push but won't complain because that seemingly happens to us every game. Also thought every single decision was guessed, half the time it was behind him and he just chose what was more right. Maybe that's me be annoying though.

On the game, Hemed and Wells, even though obviously rusty, still a much better improvement, which is a shame because Smith and Washington are obviously good lads, just not good enough, and they showed that today with their flicks, movements, general play. Freeman and Eze is awkward because I see flair in both yet both are hard to play on the wing, mainly due to their lack of defence and want to keep the ball.

Lumley a class apart from Ingram, much more confident.

All in all there are positives to take, but still much to improve on

Add natural LM to the squad, play 442 with players in their real positions which means Freeman and Eze aren’t starting and we will get good results.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2018 5:35]
Just back on 09:07 - Aug 26 with 1198 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 20:09 - Aug 25 by connell10

Lets get this right you are suggesting we drop our last youth team player because he didnt quite live up to your high standards? I mean your statement that Smyth should be put out on loan after one poor half of football {in your opinion} was crass but this just takes the biscuit! Sorry me old mucker you are spouting complete and utter bollox!

I have been massively misquoted on Smyth. In that thread people were saying that he should be in the team every week, would transform our season etc - I pointed out he had been average on the two occasions we have seen him & that sending him out on loan was the end of the world.

On Eze, my counter argument to you would be, are you saying he is in the team now regardless because of his age????!!!!

I 'get' 'the policy', but any manager is going to pick players based on form/ability not on their birth certificate.

Someone made the point in another thread that where he is playing doesn't suit him and that, shock, horror!, if he doesn't play centrally he should be dropped for someone better suited to playing out wide - I agree.

What I do think is b*****x is the angst every time a 'young' player is overlooked in favour of someone older.

I'm guessing you liked Hemed and Wells or would you rather have seen a couple of the U23s out there?
Just back on 09:10 - Aug 26 with 1191 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 22:32 - Aug 25 by CiderwithRsie

That's really helpful.

I wonder about Eze's place. In some ways one of the youngsters who play wide would be a better option - don't think he's a luxury but it's tough on him that we've signed two players directly competing with him.

But he's young, there's time; and chances off the bench and during injuries. More worried for Manning, Smyth and BOS, I really want us to keep them even if their chances are limited now. Nurturing these guys isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

I agree with that. We all have our wish lists don't we?

I would like to see Chair have a go, but agree Eze's best position isn't out wide.
Just back on 09:14 - Aug 26 with 1185 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 20:09 - Aug 25 by connell10

Lets get this right you are suggesting we drop our last youth team player because he didnt quite live up to your high standards? I mean your statement that Smyth should be put out on loan after one poor half of football {in your opinion} was crass but this just takes the biscuit! Sorry me old mucker you are spouting complete and utter bollox!

Just read the rest of the thread and see I'm not alone in the 'Eze Out' club!

Only joking - as others have said a tweak of the formation/his position would help I think, but do believe others, regardless of age!, are better suited to where he is playing now.
Just back on 09:24 - Aug 26 with 1155 viewsEsox_Lucius

I would just like to add in here that Hemed was wide right for a large percentage of the time, and certainly at every goal kick, the tactic appearing to be that he would win the ball wide in the air and we would pick up seconds.
Freeman and Eze swapped sides a few times in the game but both drifted towards their preferred central position no matter which side they were on and this is what caused some of the defensive frailties as there was no cover in front of Bidwell or Rangel.
Nahki needs to spend the week tuning his sights in as his shooting was the only weakness yesterday IMO and there was a curious incident late in the second half where he went on a run to goal and seemed to lose all confidence in what to do next and ended up just smashing a shot high, wide and handsome. Weird.

The grass is always greener.

Just back on 09:32 - Aug 26 with 1125 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Just back on 23:53 - Aug 25 by PunteR

Yeh i was a bit worried about putting to much emphasis on Eze. Good player but not in the same league as Taraabt. I dont think it will hurt him having players in front in the pecking order. Disapointed about Smyth BOS and Manning not getting games as they looked like legit decent players for QPR. We might as well ditch the youth policy now and just loan players in just to stay afloat. Ask Swindon fans how relying on loan players goes..

I would say he's got every chance of being in the same league as Adel. Time will tell but he looks some player to me. Loads of potential.
Just back on 09:52 - Aug 26 with 1044 viewsMaggsinho

Just back on 09:24 - Aug 26 by Esox_Lucius

I would just like to add in here that Hemed was wide right for a large percentage of the time, and certainly at every goal kick, the tactic appearing to be that he would win the ball wide in the air and we would pick up seconds.
Freeman and Eze swapped sides a few times in the game but both drifted towards their preferred central position no matter which side they were on and this is what caused some of the defensive frailties as there was no cover in front of Bidwell or Rangel.
Nahki needs to spend the week tuning his sights in as his shooting was the only weakness yesterday IMO and there was a curious incident late in the second half where he went on a run to goal and seemed to lose all confidence in what to do next and ended up just smashing a shot high, wide and handsome. Weird.

Think he was just too tired to continue running. He’s obviously not match fit but that will come In a couple of weeks.
Just back on 10:27 - Aug 26 with 968 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Just back on 18:33 - Aug 25 by PinnerPaul

Thought Wigan deserved the draw, but we looked a lot more solid today.

Baptiste unlucky to be dropped but Lynch had a good game.

Wells and Hamed looked exactly what they are - not quite good enough for Prem but a class above what we have.

Put defenders under pressure which resulted in some panicky clearances at times - haven't seen that from oppo this season.

Lots of focus on the defence but AGAIN the midfield 3, especially Freeman and Luongo a) give up possession too easily and b) rarely win it back.

That sounds a little negative and both DID improve 2nd half.

There will be a riot when it happens but think Eze will get dropped soon.

Needs the game and ball to fall for him - unlike Wells and Hamed who are constantly trying to make things happen - I know he's a young kid and those are experienced professionals, but IMHO he's becoming a luxury (Tin hat on!)

A big relief all round as could be witnessed by the 'We've won the league' type lap of honour at the end!

'McClaren In' …….for now then!

PS Ref had a good game apart from 1 'missed' yellow for them for a challenge on Bidwell that was identical to the one Hamed got cautioned for.

Re the booking. The main difference was that their player (think it was Evans who I thought looked a really good player although complete tw@t) went down as if he had died. Bidwell didn't.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 10:28 - Aug 26 with 959 viewsTacticalR

@PinnerPaul:

'I have been massively misquoted on Smyth. In that thread people were saying that he should be in the team every week, would transform our season etc - I pointed out he had been average on the two occasions we have seen him & that sending him out on loan was the end of the world.

On Eze, my counter argument to you would be, are you saying he is in the team now regardless because of his age????!!!!

I 'get' 'the policy', but any manager is going to pick players based on form/ability not on their birth certificate.'

We need a bit of context here. The party line seems to have changed without anyone being informed.

It was the club promoting the 'youth' party line because apparently no money was available, certainly not for strikers. Given that context everybody was looking for alternative solutions to our striking problems. The answer at the end of last season seemed to be other players such as Smyth, Eze and Luongo stepping up to score and getting round the problem of our non-scoring scorers. Washington seemed to be being gradually phased out of the picture.

Then this season we play an absurd game like the one against Bristol City where the ball is hit in the general direction of Washington, who is marked by two tall players.

Then suddenly two strikers are found from the reserves of Premiership teams (presumably at considerable expense, and presumably on higher wages than the rest of the players). It seems the old party line no longer applies. Long live the party line!

Air hostess clique

Just back on 10:28 - Aug 26 with 956 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 09:52 - Aug 26 by Maggsinho

Think he was just too tired to continue running. He’s obviously not match fit but that will come In a couple of weeks.

It was definitely a straight 442. Hemed’s positioning at goal kicks was just that, a set position to attack a goal kick from.

Eze began on the left and Freeman on the right. They switched sides at one point in the first half, and they often turned inside on the ball (as you’d expect given their preferred foot).

I thought the shape was okay. But I think it would be better if you had one genuine wide player on one of the flanks to stretch the pitch a bit and makes runs towards the byline. Eze and Freeman like to have the ball at their feet and the game in front of them. They very rarely make runs in behind or outside the full back to receive a pass or through ball. As such, they rarely get to the byline. Wszolek came on and instantly started doing this, latching on to Matt Smith’s knock down, where he would have scored if it hadn’t been for a fantastic piece of defending.

Ultimately, i’d keep that shape but play Pavel on the right and drop one of Freeman or Eze, playing the one who remains on the left. On performance in open play, i’d drop Freeman. I think Eze will link up well with Wells. Tough call.

Also, the MAJOR difference in style and shape yesterday was that we defended at least 5 yards, sometimes 10 yards deeper from the off. They hardly ever got in behind us in open play because of this. Yes, they still created chances from crosses and set pieces, but our defensive line dropping deeper helped Lynch and Leistner our immensely. Ball was always in front of them to attack.

What this did do though was create a huge midfield area for just our 2 CMs to cover, which is why we ceded so much possession. I think it was a conscious plan. If we’d tried to own that space there would have been a huge gap between midfield and defence to be exploited, or the back 4 would have pushed out leaving the ball in behind open. Given the lack of pace at the back, don’t expect to see much possession in the coming weeks.

Finally, no playing out today. Just Lumley’s enormous boot. Good. Hamed made defending them a handful. My MOTM.
Just back on 11:01 - Aug 26 with 883 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 10:27 - Aug 26 by CliveWilsonSaid

Re the booking. The main difference was that their player (think it was Evans who I thought looked a really good player although complete tw@t) went down as if he had died. Bidwell didn't.

I agree. Like it or not player reactions DO influence referees.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024