Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More good news, bigots: 17:49 - Feb 28 with 7070 viewsShaky

News out of Germany today suggests BMW have decided to build the new electric Mini on the continent rather than Cowley due to Brexit concerns.

We don't want those stinking foreign electric cars here anyway, give us good old reliable 19th century internal combustion technology any day, right lads?

Engeeerrrrrrland Engeeerrrrrrland Engeeerrrrrrland, etc, etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/27/bmw-weighs-moving-production-new-

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

More good news, bigots: on 11:57 - Mar 1 with 831 viewsblueytheblue

More good news, bigots: on 11:35 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

Yes, well, France and Germany as the founder members of a club that we were begged to lead on creation, let's not forget, were in a position to write-up a set of membership rules from which they were both exempt. How do you like those apples?

I think essential industries such as steel, energy, automotive and aerospace should be considered in a different light to most other enterprises, Bluey. Not just because of scale but because they serve to underpin most everything else.

Absolutely agree about France and Germany, Loh. Tis always the same..

Not convinced those industries should be as protected as you'd like . Nationalised companies are generally less innovative than private sector companies - no reason to be. As such, growth can easily stagnate, be overtaken by foreign companies.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

More good news, bigots: on 11:58 - Mar 1 with 828 viewsmonmouth

More good news, bigots: on 11:48 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

Don't forget that the overwhelming wish of the unions and workforce at Rover was Phoenix. The government at the time therefore threw their weight behind it, rather than what may well have been the more sensible Alchemy proposal which the unions hated due to the job losses.

And BMW funded Phoenix to the order of £500m and sold Rover to them for a tenner from memory.

The government had also previously poured money into Rover more than once.

The issue was that they made crap cars, and no one wanted to buy one.

My mate did. A Rover 75. He hates it. And in 15 years time he'll be old enough to drive it.

Yep, good cars, good warranties and good after sales care would be a start.....and pretty much unique.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

More good news, bigots: on 12:03 - Mar 1 with 820 viewsLohengrin

More good news, bigots: on 11:57 - Mar 1 by blueytheblue

Absolutely agree about France and Germany, Loh. Tis always the same..

Not convinced those industries should be as protected as you'd like . Nationalised companies are generally less innovative than private sector companies - no reason to be. As such, growth can easily stagnate, be overtaken by foreign companies.

Our industries did stagnate they were overtaken, you're quite right, but as you pointed out there was no reason for it. No reason other than a complacent lack of a clear vision for the future and a paucity of talent at the top to drive toward it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

More good news, bigots: on 12:18 - Mar 1 with 806 viewslondonlisa2001

More good news, bigots: on 11:55 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

And yet the Rover 75 was voted European Car of the Year around 2000/2001.

The scale of the plant at Longbridge had to be seen to be believed, Lisa. I had occasion to visit there quite often around that time. All those jobs, all those families dependent upon them. You can multiply that x10 as you start to think in terms of Longbridge's supply chain. It's heartbreaking, it really is.

I agree with you that it is heartbreaking Loh.

But it wasn't heartbreaking enough for anyone to want to buy their cars.

This is the problem. People want stuff to be made here and yet they want to buy lots of cheap goods, which means it can't be,

People seem to forget that when we had a less globalised manufacturing base, we all had a lot less than we do now. Stuff like a TV, or white goods, were very expensive for the average family. We all remember (at our age), sitting in front of a screen that gradually faded to a small square until someone got up and hit the top of the box. Watching a programme that was largely green, because the tube was on its way out. Wearing clothes that were mended or patched because they'd been washed so many times they were wearing through. People just chuck stuff away and go and buy new these days - often when there's nothing wrong with it, we're just bored and fancy a change, or want a 50 inch screen not a 40 inch.

Can we change our shopping patterns now to become more insular again? I'm not certain.
More good news, bigots: on 12:25 - Mar 1 with 789 viewsblueytheblue

More good news, bigots: on 12:18 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

I agree with you that it is heartbreaking Loh.

But it wasn't heartbreaking enough for anyone to want to buy their cars.

This is the problem. People want stuff to be made here and yet they want to buy lots of cheap goods, which means it can't be,

People seem to forget that when we had a less globalised manufacturing base, we all had a lot less than we do now. Stuff like a TV, or white goods, were very expensive for the average family. We all remember (at our age), sitting in front of a screen that gradually faded to a small square until someone got up and hit the top of the box. Watching a programme that was largely green, because the tube was on its way out. Wearing clothes that were mended or patched because they'd been washed so many times they were wearing through. People just chuck stuff away and go and buy new these days - often when there's nothing wrong with it, we're just bored and fancy a change, or want a 50 inch screen not a 40 inch.

Can we change our shopping patterns now to become more insular again? I'm not certain.

It's like those complaining local stores are closing yet routinely purchase via Amazon et al.

Why?

Because it's cheaper.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

More good news, bigots: on 13:18 - Mar 1 with 757 views3swan

More good news, bigots: on 11:55 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

And yet the Rover 75 was voted European Car of the Year around 2000/2001.

The scale of the plant at Longbridge had to be seen to be believed, Lisa. I had occasion to visit there quite often around that time. All those jobs, all those families dependent upon them. You can multiply that x10 as you start to think in terms of Longbridge's supply chain. It's heartbreaking, it really is.

A perception, and give a dog a bad name.

I found it very strange that Honda cars were given the thumbs up, but basically the same Rover car was a thumbs down.

Built on the same assembly line by the same people.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024