Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. 18:37 - Dec 30 with 10392 viewsporschejack

At the time , who in their right mind at the FA decided that a neutral ground to stage this replay should be in Cardiff ?
It was a disaster waiting to happen - and as it turned out - it was .
Anyone remember the carnage on the Bob Bank ?
There would be questions asked if it happened today .
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:40 - Dec 31 with 2150 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:28 - Dec 31 by SwansNZ

Now you mention it, I think something like that did happen, as loads were locked outside and getting very frustrated.

I went, it was absolute chaos, the fighting in the Bob Bank went on for what seemed like the whole game. The 250 maybe 300 mostly Grangetown Skins had a field day, they certainly didn't take a pasting, and definitely didn't get chased off.
Strangely, the real hatred between most of the rival supporters still hadn't kicked in, most Cardiff fans used to cheer your results if it was announced you were winning at half time, strange how times soon changed isn't it ?

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:47 - Dec 31 with 2140 viewsbarry_island

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:40 - Dec 31 by taffpunk

I went, it was absolute chaos, the fighting in the Bob Bank went on for what seemed like the whole game. The 250 maybe 300 mostly Grangetown Skins had a field day, they certainly didn't take a pasting, and definitely didn't get chased off.
Strangely, the real hatred between most of the rival supporters still hadn't kicked in, most Cardiff fans used to cheer your results if it was announced you were winning at half time, strange how times soon changed isn't it ?

That's more or less how I remember it as well. By half time I think your mob had been surrounded by police with dogs so the fights became more sporadic as the game wore on.

As you say though, quite a few of your fans supporting us as well.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:58 - Dec 31 with 2121 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:47 - Dec 31 by barry_island

That's more or less how I remember it as well. By half time I think your mob had been surrounded by police with dogs so the fights became more sporadic as the game wore on.

As you say though, quite a few of your fans supporting us as well.

The person I went with was on trial with yourselves at the time, he was supporting the Swans. I wasn't bothered either way tbh, just went to watch a good game, plenty of others did the same.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:03 - Dec 31 with 2106 viewsbarry_island

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:58 - Dec 31 by taffpunk

The person I went with was on trial with yourselves at the time, he was supporting the Swans. I wasn't bothered either way tbh, just went to watch a good game, plenty of others did the same.

I think it was just before the John Buchanan 3-3 game. Who was your mate by the way?

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:11 - Dec 31 with 2094 viewsowainglyndwr

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:40 - Dec 31 by taffpunk

No it was chaos until we scored our lot chased the Cardiff fanscfrom the centre to down near the front next to tje grange end
A lot of boys woth us at the time were doing boxing and enjpyed the challenge.
But easily 100 to 200 run to that corner

Up until then there was fights all over the place.
When the police surronded some cardiff fans can you remember some Swans fans stoll baiting and amongst thecardiff boys.
They were boys with us.
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:14 - Dec 31 with 2083 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:03 - Dec 31 by barry_island

I think it was just before the John Buchanan 3-3 game. Who was your mate by the way?

Neil James, he didn't make it with yourselves, went to Newport for a short while under Len Ashurst. I don't think he made a first team appearance for them, maybe on the bench a couple of times. He ended up playing for many years for Ton Pentre, still a good friend today.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:23 - Dec 31 with 2057 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:11 - Dec 31 by owainglyndwr

No it was chaos until we scored our lot chased the Cardiff fanscfrom the centre to down near the front next to tje grange end
A lot of boys woth us at the time were doing boxing and enjpyed the challenge.
But easily 100 to 200 run to that corner

Up until then there was fights all over the place.
When the police surronded some cardiff fans can you remember some Swans fans stoll baiting and amongst thecardiff boys.
They were boys with us.

That wasn't how I saw it, but obviously you see different things depending on where you were. I'm not getting into an argument about it, the main hardcore hoolies involved were from Grangetown and included some good mates, including Ducky-ex Oppressed- he for one would give you a completely different opinion on what happened that night, as have I.
I didn't see them get budged all game, but as another poster has said, they were wrapped up by the OB eventually, so there was less trouble as the game went on.

Like I said, most Cardiff fans there that night were supporting you, how times soon changed

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 12:25 - Dec 31 with 1941 viewsLoyal

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:23 - Dec 31 by taffpunk

That wasn't how I saw it, but obviously you see different things depending on where you were. I'm not getting into an argument about it, the main hardcore hoolies involved were from Grangetown and included some good mates, including Ducky-ex Oppressed- he for one would give you a completely different opinion on what happened that night, as have I.
I didn't see them get budged all game, but as another poster has said, they were wrapped up by the OB eventually, so there was less trouble as the game went on.

Like I said, most Cardiff fans there that night were supporting you, how times soon changed

I spoke to ducky not long ago, my mate said that's not ducky, he died.
I think he was getting him mixed up with that Cardiff skinhead band who got wiped out on the M4 years ago. Either way, Ducky or not he seemed OK.
I was doing the merch over in Europe earlier this year for the oppressed and PFS 👍
[Post edited 31 Dec 2016 12:27]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 13:20 - Dec 31 with 1909 viewstrampie

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:23 - Dec 31 by taffpunk

F**k off, you must have been off your face, Kaardiff hated the Jacks and hated them with a passion at that point in time, their firm used to join up with English away supporters and go in the away end at the Vetch if they weren't playing and Swansea were, particularly in the couple of seasons we had in the top division around that time.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 14:15 - Dec 31 with 1863 viewsthe_oracle

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 03:59 - Dec 31 by SwansNZ

I can't recall if it was snowing at the time, but there was plenty of snow on the ground.

Big queue outside the grange end, I can't recall if all gates were closed until late or just 1 or 2 were open, but there were loads outside the ground. I think I got in 15-20 minutes after kick off, and didn't know we were 1-0 down until the announcer said the score at half time.

Huge crowd trying to get in and a really bad crush outside the Grange end. Not sure how the gates opened but thankfully they opened to relieve the pressure and we all got in without paying!
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 17:37 - Dec 31 with 1795 viewscontroversial_jack

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 00:26 - Dec 31 by raynor94

What a surprise, you saying the opposite, I'm getting old but not senile, quite a bout of snow early evening game was in doubt, please post your weather report up

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/n/0/jan1980.pdf
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:12 - Jan 1 with 1735 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 13:20 - Dec 31 by trampie

F**k off, you must have been off your face, Kaardiff hated the Jacks and hated them with a passion at that point in time, their firm used to join up with English away supporters and go in the away end at the Vetch if they weren't playing and Swansea were, particularly in the couple of seasons we had in the top division around that time.

I'm not on about the hoolies, I mean 'normal' fans. Your results were cheered in this era when announced at NP if you were winning, I have no reason to make it up. Also plenty of people at this time went to see Swansea one week, Cardiff the next.

As for your other point, the only time I know when this happened was the Jacks v West Ham game when the ICF tried to take the North Bank and failed, the same as had happened on the BB at NP a couple of seasons previously. There were definitely about 50 Cardiff in the away end that game, I went myself as my mate liked the Hammers.

Anyway, enough chat, get those protests going...

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:07 - Jan 1 with 1684 viewsowainglyndwr

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 09:12 - Jan 1 by taffpunk

I'm not on about the hoolies, I mean 'normal' fans. Your results were cheered in this era when announced at NP if you were winning, I have no reason to make it up. Also plenty of people at this time went to see Swansea one week, Cardiff the next.

As for your other point, the only time I know when this happened was the Jacks v West Ham game when the ICF tried to take the North Bank and failed, the same as had happened on the BB at NP a couple of seasons previously. There were definitely about 50 Cardiff in the away end that game, I went myself as my mate liked the Hammers.

Anyway, enough chat, get those protests going...

You must be about the same age as me in your 50s
These days have gone now.
But my account of what happened to us at that Palace game in NP is true.
Same thing the Fa cup when you run at us on the Kingsway I was there and had a kicking off the Cardif boys but stood there with boys I trusted.
On the Other hand the battle of Ninian was untrue about families, because Cardiff boys knew we would be coming for revenge.
They run down from the Ninian Park pub but got totally over powered by us.
Mind you my mate was put on his arse by a bluebird with grey hair, we laughed and took the mick out of him

But as I said these days are gone and we all need to grow up
[Post edited 2 Jan 2017 0:05]
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:13 - Jan 1 with 1675 viewsLoyal

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:07 - Jan 1 by owainglyndwr

Same thing the Fa cup when you run at us on the Kingsway I was there and had a kicking off the Cardif boys but stood there with boys I trusted.
On the Other hand the battle of Ninian was untrue about families, because Cardiff boys knew we would be coming for revenge.
Mind you my mate was put on his arse by a bluebird with grey hair, we laughed and took the mick out of him

The battle of ninian is cardiffs elephant in the room for sure.
They couldn't make the excuses up quick enough.
As you say they knew we were coming, legged it at every opportunity and in the ground made up their own version if events.
But - these are times long gone, TP is a quality chap, best record shop in the world trust me 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 21:30 - Jan 1 with 1576 viewsscruffyjack

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 14:15 - Dec 31 by the_oracle

Huge crowd trying to get in and a really bad crush outside the Grange end. Not sure how the gates opened but thankfully they opened to relieve the pressure and we all got in without paying!

The turnstile doors were literally kicked in and by the time we got in Palace were 1-0 up. Whoever was behind the organisation of this match should have been locked up.
A coach from Morriston stopped off at the pied piper in Bridgend after the match and a loud cheer went up from the locals after the death of Swans fan David Williams was announced on the late news. The pub & the locals suffered as a result.
Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 22:27 - Jan 1 with 1507 viewsKilkennyjack

David Giles played very well that night. Lile Tosh, could not wait to play in the famous black and white kit.

Beware of the Risen People

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:30 - Jan 2 with 1390 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:07 - Jan 1 by owainglyndwr

Yeah 54, I used to run all the 'nawty boy' trips from the Rhondda in the 80's and 90's, lots of great memories. I agree it's time to grow up, but I still like chatting about the old days.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:36 - Jan 2 with 1375 viewstaffpunk

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:13 - Jan 1 by Loyal

The battle of ninian is cardiffs elephant in the room for sure.
They couldn't make the excuses up quick enough.
As you say they knew we were coming, legged it at every opportunity and in the ground made up their own version if events.
But - these are times long gone, TP is a quality chap, best record shop in the world trust me 👍

They were different times, that's for sure. The people who get involved now are quite frankly buffoons. Who wants to get sent down for having a punch up at the football, not me that's for sure. Thanks for the kind words about the shop.

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 12:08 - Jan 2 with 1329 viewsowainglyndwr

Swans v Palace - Ninian Park - 70's. on 10:36 - Jan 2 by taffpunk

They were different times, that's for sure. The people who get involved now are quite frankly buffoons. Who wants to get sent down for having a punch up at the football, not me that's for sure. Thanks for the kind words about the shop.

The FA cup game we waited for your special to arrive at high sfreet.
We knew that we would be outnumbered but all so excited.
I will not name names but one of the boys with us. ( now passed away with issues in later life) could not wait and just charged straight in.
Some of your boys though it would be ok to drink in the Kings but obviously was not.
You tried the North Bank fair player and a charge at us at the turn styles.
You had loads thar day.
The thing that caused us to get revenge for that day was after the game Cardiff police let you run down the Kingsway and Cardiff fans hit out at families.
That then lead to the battle of ninian.
Mad when you look back can you Imagine these things going on now.
I was out in the Euros and have ever had time for Cardiff fans...
But it was great to see everyone enjoying together. .....
Shock
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024