Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Green light 16:27 - Jun 9 with 11990 viewsTheArtChappy

For the lagoon. Evening post have said can't link sorry

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Green light on 11:06 - Jun 10 with 2192 viewscontroversial_jack

Green light on 10:10 - Jun 10 by DDCH

Interesting article. Also confirms that the sweeteners used to sell it to the community mat be dropped.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11657474/Insane-crazy-the-riddle-of-the-sands

Nuclear power is still experimental
Green light on 11:57 - Jun 10 with 2171 viewsScotia

Green light on 11:06 - Jun 10 by controversial_jack

Nuclear power is still experimental

The tourism sweeteners haven't been dropped, they have never been part of the DCO (Development Consent Order), I genuinely don't think they have ever realistically been anything other than a gimmick.

This is only the first step in getting it built. It has scraped through to this point, and has some pretty severe planning conditions imposed on it by DECC regarding environmental impacts to the bay.These may well increase the cost of the lagoon and subsequently the strike price from the government. Which will in mean either the public pays more for it via bills and taxes or it doesn't get built. It's already cost the taxpayer a small fortune locally.
Green light on 12:21 - Jun 10 with 2154 viewsDDCH

Green light on 11:57 - Jun 10 by Scotia

The tourism sweeteners haven't been dropped, they have never been part of the DCO (Development Consent Order), I genuinely don't think they have ever realistically been anything other than a gimmick.

This is only the first step in getting it built. It has scraped through to this point, and has some pretty severe planning conditions imposed on it by DECC regarding environmental impacts to the bay.These may well increase the cost of the lagoon and subsequently the strike price from the government. Which will in mean either the public pays more for it via bills and taxes or it doesn't get built. It's already cost the taxpayer a small fortune locally.

The issue a lot of people will have though Scotia is that the promotion material used to sell the concept to the people of Swansea, suggested the lagoon, with sailing and events. A cycle and walking pathway etc. People have even suggested fishing off it. It now seems that I will just be a power station

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Green light on 13:26 - Jun 10 with 2118 viewsdickythorpe

Interesting article. Also confirms that the sweeteners used to sell it to the community mat be dropped.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11657474/Insane-crazy-the-riddle-of-the-sands

"CANDEREL IN THE EVENING CANDEREL IN THE MORNING"
Green light on 13:27 - Jun 10 with 2117 viewsScotia

Green light on 12:21 - Jun 10 by DDCH

The issue a lot of people will have though Scotia is that the promotion material used to sell the concept to the people of Swansea, suggested the lagoon, with sailing and events. A cycle and walking pathway etc. People have even suggested fishing off it. It now seems that I will just be a power station

It was always going to be just a power station, as I have said on here previously, I honestly think that is all it will be. I think it will be too dangerous for public access at all.

I think they targeted Swansea for the first lagoon because there has been so little development and investment in the area the public would just accept it without question. Even though the facilities they have promised already exist.

Having had professional involvement in this project since day 1 I honestly don't believe a word the company say.

What I predict will happen next is the "strike price" set by the government will be much lower than the lagoon company want, that will mean they can't afford either the leisure facilities or to have all the land based industry in Swansea.

The turbines and other engineering etc will be completed abroad (in the hearings they only promised Europe, despite what media says) - one of the main contactors is a Chinese state backed company? ;)

Aside from a small temporary construction crew there will be no local benefits at all, and the company will be able to blame the Government. Genius bit of business really.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2015 13:39]
Green light on 13:44 - Jun 10 with 2099 viewsLord_Bony

Green light on 13:27 - Jun 10 by Scotia

It was always going to be just a power station, as I have said on here previously, I honestly think that is all it will be. I think it will be too dangerous for public access at all.

I think they targeted Swansea for the first lagoon because there has been so little development and investment in the area the public would just accept it without question. Even though the facilities they have promised already exist.

Having had professional involvement in this project since day 1 I honestly don't believe a word the company say.

What I predict will happen next is the "strike price" set by the government will be much lower than the lagoon company want, that will mean they can't afford either the leisure facilities or to have all the land based industry in Swansea.

The turbines and other engineering etc will be completed abroad (in the hearings they only promised Europe, despite what media says) - one of the main contactors is a Chinese state backed company? ;)

Aside from a small temporary construction crew there will be no local benefits at all, and the company will be able to blame the Government. Genius bit of business really.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2015 13:39]

ITS OFFICIAL

Its being built and the contract goes to ....The Chinese.

It is an experimental scheme and the first of its kind.... and if it goes well other schemes will be built at Cardiff,Newport and the West of England.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Green light on 14:44 - Jun 10 with 2070 viewsGlyn1

Thanks for posting this. If Christopher Booker in the Telegraph is against it, then I'm now definitely in favour.

I'm strongly in favour of nuclear power as well - I don't see it as being one or the other.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2015 14:44]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Green light on 14:46 - Jun 10 with 2068 viewscontroversial_jack

Green light on 13:44 - Jun 10 by Lord_Bony

ITS OFFICIAL

Its being built and the contract goes to ....The Chinese.

It is an experimental scheme and the first of its kind.... and if it goes well other schemes will be built at Cardiff,Newport and the West of England.

Of course, Cardiff would want one as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Green light on 16:32 - Jun 10 with 2039 viewsScotia

I've only just read that article in the Telegraph. I have no idea who the guy is but he is right about a lot of that.

One thing he fails to mention though, is that the disused Cornish quarry he talks about is actually owned by the tidal lagoon company too. They could make a fortune off the back of the tax payer.
Green light on 02:14 - Jun 11 with 1985 viewsymaohyd

Green light on 16:32 - Jun 10 by Scotia

I've only just read that article in the Telegraph. I have no idea who the guy is but he is right about a lot of that.

One thing he fails to mention though, is that the disused Cornish quarry he talks about is actually owned by the tidal lagoon company too. They could make a fortune off the back of the tax payer.

No offence but you're a tedious pri*k!

Wait and see, I trust that the powers that be will get things right. Swansea is crying out for investment and a catalyst to create further growth and development.

One argument that I wouldn't go near is the good old 'how much will it cost the tax payer'...I couldn't give a stuff personally. The UK spent a fortune on the Olympics, with very little benefit for Wales and the UK has spent billions in bail out's for Ireland, Greece, Portugal along with vast amounts given to third world countries, some of whom are nucleur powers!

So little old Swansea is going to benefit from the tax payer...well that's all good for me. Do me a favour and shut the fuc& up!!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Green light on 03:04 - Jun 11 with 1982 viewsGlyn1

Green light on 14:46 - Jun 10 by controversial_jack

Of course, Cardiff would want one as well.

And that is a good thing. The plan is to have several of them along the coast to take advantage of the tides in the Severn Estuary.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Green light on 08:58 - Jun 11 with 1946 viewsfelixstowe_jack

After the £100s of Millions of Welsh Tax payers money being squandered in Cardiff it is good to see some UK tax payers money being invested in Swansea. Just a pity it took a Conservative government to do it. No wonder no one votes for Labour these days.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Green light on 09:08 - Jun 11 with 1938 viewsLord_Bony

Because it's a Chinese company building it I would imagine most of the jobs will go to foreign workers !

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Green light on 10:10 - Jun 11 with 1908 viewsyescomeon

The problem the UK has with this and other forms of Electricity generation is the lack of a national Energy company.

Upthecity!

Green light on 10:10 - Jun 11 with 1902 viewsdgt73

Green light on 02:14 - Jun 11 by ymaohyd

Wait and see, I trust that the powers that be will get things right. Swansea is crying out for investment and a catalyst to create further growth and development.

One argument that I wouldn't go near is the good old 'how much will it cost the tax payer'...I couldn't give a stuff personally. The UK spent a fortune on the Olympics, with very little benefit for Wales and the UK has spent billions in bail out's for Ireland, Greece, Portugal along with vast amounts given to third world countries, some of whom are nucleur powers!

So little old Swansea is going to benefit from the tax payer...well that's all good for me. Do me a favour and shut the fuc& up!!

Well said.....tax payers money is being spent on bailing out the banks and through foreign aid - pays for infrastructure projects all around the world....so about time Swansea had a slice of the cake.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Green light on 10:13 - Jun 11 with 1786 viewsScotia

Green light on 02:14 - Jun 11 by ymaohyd

None taken.

Apologies for boring you so much that you obviously haven't read my post.

Exactly what benefits from tax payer investment do you envisage?
Green light on 10:48 - Jun 11 with 1766 viewscontroversial_jack

Green light on 09:08 - Jun 11 by Lord_Bony

Because it's a Chinese company building it I would imagine most of the jobs will go to foreign workers !

There will be hardly any benefit to the British people.It certainly won't mean cheaper electricity
Green light on 10:49 - Jun 11 with 1759 viewsdgt73

Green light on 10:13 - Jun 11 by Scotia

None taken.

Strike price will mean the project is paid for by people paying their electric bills - the strike price they want is higher than other power producing plants. If they don't build it in swansea - it will be built elsewhere. Build the fooking thing I say.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Green light on 12:13 - Jun 11 with 1728 viewsScotia

Green light on 10:49 - Jun 11 by dgt73

Strike price will mean the project is paid for by people paying their electric bills - the strike price they want is higher than other power producing plants. If they don't build it in swansea - it will be built elsewhere. Build the fooking thing I say.

No it's not. Strike price is the subsidy they get from the government, or what the government pay for the power they generate. Any shortfall may come from the bill payer, or like I said earlier they will drop parts of their plan, like anything that doesn't involve generating power they can sell.

They are planning on building others, one in Cardiff, one in Newport and one in Colwyn bay, that's before they start on the English coast of the Bristol Channel.

Tedious or not, I would really like someone to tell me what benefit this is going to be to Swansea. I would love it to be of benefit but I honestly can't see it.

Come on, tell me.
Green light on 12:27 - Jun 11 with 1726 viewsymaohyd

Green light on 10:13 - Jun 11 by Scotia

None taken.

Personally I couldn't give a stuff, as to whether the lagoon will offer value for money in comparison to other forms of 'new energy sources'.

I couldn't give a stuff about the tax payer, of whom I am one as I have worked all my life.

As I highlighted in my post, I am sick to the back teeth of our part of the UK and Wales having little or no investment and we watch on as Cardiff benefits from initiative after initiative, or we look on as the UK Government spends billions on the Olympics or bailing out one of our European economic partners.

I have worked on a UK led initiative, providing support to countries like India and Pakistan and believe me the financial assistance is huge for two countries who have spent tens of billions on developing nucleus capabilities rather than supporting their impoverished populace...so excuse me for not being overly concerned that a significant investment is being made in our city, whatever those concerns may be.

Only in Swansea however, could people then turn around and moan about this possible investment and unbelievably question the value for money for the tax payer. As far as other concerns, is this development being constructed at the site of an ancient burial ground, a site of great architectural significance?

Oh no, it's being built on a stretch of water that probably none of us have dipped our toes in or set our eyes upon, over there by the docks.

So what will the benefits be?

The minister, charged with responsibility for given the green light for the project has given assurances that leisure facilities will be part of the development, so pardon me for taking her word rather than someone on Planet Swans.

The potential therefore is huge, all kinds of water sports facilities could be accounted for, wind surfing, kayaking, etc etc. Swansea could become a major force as a host city for triathlons given the proposed cycle track along side the lagoon.

If the potential in some of the areas I have mentioned comes to fruition then to support greater numbers, hopefully more hotels will be built to accommodate more people visiting, then more restaurants to take advantage of the growth that Swansea could potentially realise. Possibly to add to the water sport theme a white water rafting centre like our capital city have may look at investing. Who knows..The key word is POTENTIAL!

All I know is for years I have driven along Fabian Way, passed derelict Marsh land. Now we have a brand new university campus and in a few years a structure that may provide enormous potential for all kinds of recreational facilities....am I being naive or is it a no brainer !?

Finally an inspirational story.

A friend of mine is from Ystalyfera and still has his business in Ystradgynlais. Years ago now, he knew a gent who also lived in the area and they'd exchange pleasantries etc. Don't know what the gents name was/is, let's be stereotypical and call him Gwyn.

So my friend would ask Gwyn, 'Any plans for the weekend Gwyn' ?

Oh my boy has bought a place up in Newport, I'm doing a bit of gardening for him.

This conversation went on for several months, until my friend asked what his son owned?

The answer in a typical Swansea valley understated way was ' oh he's bought the Celtic Manor hotel'...His son was Sir Terry Matthews, who started off establishing the old Celtic Manor hotel before developing what is now one of the UK's leading resort hotels, host of the Ryde Cup and of course recently the G7 summit.

All i will say is thank goodness we have Sir Terry as chair of the Swansea Bay city region and not the likes of Scotia or some others on here.

As Sir Terry was offering his heart felt congratulations to the go ahead for the lagoon, I'm pretty sure he wasn't concerning himself with the £ per megawatt debate, instead being the man he is, i'm sure he'll be sitting back and placing a vital piece of the proverbial jigsaw that he see's as Swansea's future.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Green light on 12:39 - Jun 11 with 1714 viewsraynor94

Green light on 12:27 - Jun 11 by ymaohyd

Personally I couldn't give a stuff, as to whether the lagoon will offer value for money in comparison to other forms of 'new energy sources'.

I couldn't give a stuff about the tax payer, of whom I am one as I have worked all my life.

As I highlighted in my post, I am sick to the back teeth of our part of the UK and Wales having little or no investment and we watch on as Cardiff benefits from initiative after initiative, or we look on as the UK Government spends billions on the Olympics or bailing out one of our European economic partners.

I have worked on a UK led initiative, providing support to countries like India and Pakistan and believe me the financial assistance is huge for two countries who have spent tens of billions on developing nucleus capabilities rather than supporting their impoverished populace...so excuse me for not being overly concerned that a significant investment is being made in our city, whatever those concerns may be.

Only in Swansea however, could people then turn around and moan about this possible investment and unbelievably question the value for money for the tax payer. As far as other concerns, is this development being constructed at the site of an ancient burial ground, a site of great architectural significance?

Oh no, it's being built on a stretch of water that probably none of us have dipped our toes in or set our eyes upon, over there by the docks.

So what will the benefits be?

The minister, charged with responsibility for given the green light for the project has given assurances that leisure facilities will be part of the development, so pardon me for taking her word rather than someone on Planet Swans.

The potential therefore is huge, all kinds of water sports facilities could be accounted for, wind surfing, kayaking, etc etc. Swansea could become a major force as a host city for triathlons given the proposed cycle track along side the lagoon.

If the potential in some of the areas I have mentioned comes to fruition then to support greater numbers, hopefully more hotels will be built to accommodate more people visiting, then more restaurants to take advantage of the growth that Swansea could potentially realise. Possibly to add to the water sport theme a white water rafting centre like our capital city have may look at investing. Who knows..The key word is POTENTIAL!

All I know is for years I have driven along Fabian Way, passed derelict Marsh land. Now we have a brand new university campus and in a few years a structure that may provide enormous potential for all kinds of recreational facilities....am I being naive or is it a no brainer !?

Finally an inspirational story.

A friend of mine is from Ystalyfera and still has his business in Ystradgynlais. Years ago now, he knew a gent who also lived in the area and they'd exchange pleasantries etc. Don't know what the gents name was/is, let's be stereotypical and call him Gwyn.

So my friend would ask Gwyn, 'Any plans for the weekend Gwyn' ?

Oh my boy has bought a place up in Newport, I'm doing a bit of gardening for him.

This conversation went on for several months, until my friend asked what his son owned?

The answer in a typical Swansea valley understated way was ' oh he's bought the Celtic Manor hotel'...His son was Sir Terry Matthews, who started off establishing the old Celtic Manor hotel before developing what is now one of the UK's leading resort hotels, host of the Ryde Cup and of course recently the G7 summit.

All i will say is thank goodness we have Sir Terry as chair of the Swansea Bay city region and not the likes of Scotia or some others on here.

As Sir Terry was offering his heart felt congratulations to the go ahead for the lagoon, I'm pretty sure he wasn't concerning himself with the £ per megawatt debate, instead being the man he is, i'm sure he'll be sitting back and placing a vital piece of the proverbial jigsaw that he see's as Swansea's future.

Outstanding post, I'm amazed there are people against this scheme, as you say thank god for Sir Terry

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Green light on 12:58 - Jun 11 with 1701 viewsperchrockjack

Swansea is a generation behind as regards regeneration.

While other cities Preston Swansea dithers, it might not work, I've yet to be convinced.

Incredible really.

I've seen a city on its knees, bankrupt, ungovernable then it sees the light and reborn.

Swansea needs more than pretty photos of mumbles and rhos il.

It needs a centre, a soul ,some swank , style, some self confidence.

Terry Matthews. God bless him

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Green light on 13:22 - Jun 11 with 1690 viewsPrivate_Partz

Green light on 12:39 - Jun 11 by raynor94

Outstanding post, I'm amazed there are people against this scheme, as you say thank god for Sir Terry

Seconded. Absolutely agree 100%. Things are starting to happen and we must not lose momentum. I noticed the BBC Cardiff was running a phone in yesterday trying to develope an anti lagoon stance. Fortunately the majority of those South Easterners phoning in could generally not see anything wrong either.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Green light on 13:32 - Jun 11 with 1681 viewsdickythorpe

TERRY'S CHOCOLATE ORANGE
Green light on 13:43 - Jun 11 with 1665 viewsLord_Bony

Do people realise this is just an experiment.. It s never been done before in the UK.

The Chinese will building the lagoon rather than a.UK.company we will then observe and copy it in other locations.

All part of the changing energy supply and the phasing out of coal fired stations.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024